PDA

View Full Version : Hey Sam Bradford, say hello to your new best friend:

footballfanatic
10/12/2009, 08:58 AM
...Our bad running attack. After a thorough scientific study, I have concluded that our running game blows. I am not saying we'll lose--you guys are also fairly wretched in some departments--but I don't know how we can win without a running attack. Still, I hope we whup your butts on Saturday.

gaylordfan1
10/12/2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I hope your running game blows. That would be nice.

SunnySooner
10/12/2009, 09:08 AM
I highly doubt anyone will be receiving a buttwhupin, but each team will need some help from the other to win. Should be a great one, BEAT tExAs!!!!!

Widescreen
10/12/2009, 09:22 AM
This message is hidden because footballfanatic is on your ignore list.
I'm sure it's Shakespearean.

JLEW1818
10/12/2009, 09:38 AM
both teams have huge weaknesses

we shall see what happens

starclassic tama
10/12/2009, 03:38 PM
good thing for texas, we have a habit of making mediocre backs look like superstars for a game. so cody johnson or whatever his name is will probably rip off 150 saturday and then gain about 100 yards the rest of the season...

Toronto Sooner
10/12/2009, 04:38 PM
good thing for texas, we have a habit of making mediocre backs look like superstars for a game. so cody johnson or whatever his name is will probably rip off 150 saturday and then gain about 100 yards the rest of the season...

True dat!!!

2009: Miami - James (148 yards) - OU lose

2008: Texas - Ogbonnaya (127 yards) - OU lose

2007: WVU - P. White (150 yards) - OU lose

2007: Colorado - Charles (110 yards) - OU lose

2006: Boise State - Johnson (101 yards) - OU lose

2006: Texas - J. Charles/S. Young combo (125 yards) - OU lose

2006: Oregon - Stewart (144 yards) - OU lose

2005: Texas Tech - Henderson (109 yards) - OU lose

2005: Texas - J. Charles (116 yards) - OU lose

2004: USC - R. White (122 yards) - OU lose (the mythical game)

2003: LSU - Vincent (117 yards) - OU lose

2003: Kansas St. - Sproles (235 yards) - OU lose

P. White, Stewart, R. White and Sproles are all semi decent players, but none are elite backs, IMO. All of the other backs on that list are either completely useless or marginally serviceable at best.

Aside from the KW play calling issues (stalled offenses leaves the defense on the field too too long, as was clearly the case in the 2nd half of Texas 2008 and the Colorado game), the data is suggesting that Big Game Bob and his side kick BV needs to better stop the run in big games if we are to win more than just a couple of them and if we are to consistently win against top tier teams outside of the Big 12.

JLEW1818
10/12/2009, 04:39 PM
True dat!!!

2009: Miami - James (148 yards) - OU lose

2008: Texas - Ogbonnaya (127 yards) - OU lose

2007: WVU - P. White (150 yards) - OU lose

2007: Colorado - Charles (110 yards) - OU lose

2006: Boise State - Johnson (101 yards) - OU lose

2006: Texas - J. Charles/S. Young combo (125 yards) - OU lose

2006: Oregon - Stewart (144 yards) - OU lose

2005: Texas Tech - Henderson (109 yards) - OU lose

2005: Texas - J. Charles (116 yards) - OU lose

2004: USC - R. White (122 yards) - OU lose (the mythical game)

2003: LSU - Vincent (117 yards) - OU lose

2003: Kansas St. - Sproles (235 yards) - OU lose

P. White, Stewart, R. White and Sproles are all semi decent players, but none are elite backs, IMO. All of the other backs on that list are either completely useless or marginally serviceable at best.

Aside from the KW play calling issues (stalled offenses leaves the defense on the field too too long, as was clearly the case in the 2nd half of Texas 2008 and the Colorado game), the data is suggesting that Big Game Bob and his side kick BV needs to better stop the run in big games if we are to win more than just a couple of them and if we are to consistently win against top tier teams outside of the Big 12.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :pop:

yermom
10/12/2009, 05:17 PM
well, Sproles, Charles, Stewart and White are in the NFL

VA Sooner
10/12/2009, 05:23 PM
TS...

That was frightening data.

But Colorado did hold them to 46 yards on 25 attempts. I can think we can manage this weekend.

JLEW1818
10/12/2009, 05:25 PM

yup, and legit RBs

footballfanatic
10/12/2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah, but with our scheme, we could have had Earl Campbell and Adrian Peterson against Colorado last Saturday night and gained about 20 yards.

Toronto Sooner
10/12/2009, 06:00 PM
yup, and legit RBs

Hence:

"P. White, Stewart, R. White and Sproles are all semi decent players, but none are elite backs, IMO. All of the other backs on that list are either completely useless or marginally serviceable at best."

NFL running yards ranking for 2009:

#45 ranked - Jonathan Stewart (138 yards for the year)

#47 ranked - LenDale White (133 yards)

#55 ranked - Darren Sproles (90 yards)

#56 ranked - Jamaal Charles (77 yards)

I don't see any other running backs on the list with any yards in the 2009 NFL season, yet they were all superstars (played like AD) against OU.

I'm just a data provider. I'm not creating the data.

tommieharris91
10/12/2009, 08:00 PM
That R. White guy was only a Heisman winner. He's in the NFL too.

Toronto Sooner
10/12/2009, 08:40 PM
That R. White guy was only a Heisman winner. He's in the NFL too.

That was originally intended to be written as L. White, and not R. White. It was Lendale White that had the 122 yards against OU in the USC game.

You are referring to Reggie Bush that had the Heisman for USC.

westcoast_sooner
10/12/2009, 09:18 PM
...Our bad running attack. After a thorough scientific study, I have concluded that our running game blows. I am not saying we'll lose--you guys are also fairly wretched in some departments--but I don't know how we can win without a running attack. Still, I hope we whup your butts on Saturday.
OU likely won't lose the game because of Texas' running game. If OU loses, it will be because Texas makes a big play with defense or on special teams. Both OCs have shown that they will try to force the run when it isn't there (either by scheme - Davis or inexperience/stubborn refusal to acknowledge that it isn't going to work - Wilson).

OU has been able to run some, but the continued attempts to run the same tailback up the middle from the I on the goal line is baffling.
Not including the Idaho St game OU's total rushing stats look like:
197 vs Baylor
153 vs Miami
193 vs Tulsa
118 vs BYU

Not stellar, but not terrible - except the BYU game.

OTOH, Texas' scheme simply doesn't seem built to execute a consistent running attack - see CU - despite having some talent in the backfield.

Texas total rushing stats - except the Louisiana-Monroe game:
85 vs Wyoming
135 vs Tech
304 vs UTEP
46 vs CU

Texas has two games that they didn't break the century mark, one of those was against an absolutely awful Colorado team - what was Greg Davis drinking and can we make sure he continues to guzzle whatever it is in Dallas on Saturday?

illinisooner
10/12/2009, 09:36 PM
No running game shouldn't matter, we can bottle a run game up but still give up a whole lot of 3rd down conversions to kill our chances. Also, usually teams that give up over 100 yards to a RB don't stand a good chance of winning. The correct thing to draw out of the original post was the stalled drives thanks to crappy play calling and the effect it has on the defense.

landrun
10/12/2009, 09:49 PM
I'm feeling another 65-14 type blowout. Mainly because, Texas really ain't that good. :pop:

footballfanatic
10/12/2009, 10:14 PM
OU likely won't lose the game because of Texas' running game. If OU loses, it will be because Texas makes a big play with defense or on special teams. Both OCs have shown that they will try to force the run when it isn't there (either by scheme - Davis or inexperience/stubborn refusal to acknowledge that it isn't going to work - Wilson).

OU has been able to run some, but the continued attempts to run the same tailback up the middle from the I on the goal line is baffling.
Not including the Idaho St game OU's total rushing stats look like:
197 vs Baylor
153 vs Miami
193 vs Tulsa
118 vs BYU

Not stellar, but not terrible - except the BYU game.

OTOH, Texas' scheme simply doesn't seem built to execute a consistent running attack - see CU - despite having some talent in the backfield.

Texas total rushing stats - except the Louisiana-Monroe game:
85 vs Wyoming
135 vs Tech
304 vs UTEP
46 vs CU

Texas has two games that they didn't break the century mark, one of those was against an absolutely awful Colorado team - what was Greg Davis drinking and can we make sure he continues to guzzle whatever it is in Dallas on Saturday?

This certainly is shaping up to be a strange OU Texas week. The fan bases are both lamenting their team's shortcomings. I haven't seen much of OU this year, but at least you have an excuse--you're best offensive players have been hurt. (I really feel bad for Gresham.)

But Texas is simply overrated. For us not to have a premier back for so many years is simply bizarre. Our backs aren't terribly explosive, so we'll be throwing. To be one dimensional against OU is not a good thing, to say the least. It cold be a really low scoring game, 10-9, or 14-12.

Funny how the mostly same players can be so different from one year to the next.

westcoast_sooner
10/12/2009, 11:24 PM
This certainly is shaping up to be a strange OU Texas week. The fan bases are both lamenting their team's shortcomings. I haven't seen much of OU this year, but at least you have an excuse--you're best offensive players have been hurt. (I really feel bad for Gresham.)

But Texas is simply overrated. For us not to have a premier back for so many years is simply bizarre. Our backs aren't terribly explosive, so we'll be throwing. To be one dimensional against OU is not a good thing, to say the least. It cold be a really low scoring game, 10-9, or 14-12.

Funny how the mostly same players can be so different from one year to the next.

Kinda what my son and I talked about last night. We both see what could be a game dominated by the defenses. Not sure it's a 6-3 game, but a close, low-scoring game could be in order. Texas has a good front - Kindle is outstanding and I notice that you guys move him around a lot. Your secondary is pretty stout and will really challenge our unproven WRs. OTOH, if OU can find a way to control Shipley - something no one has shown they can do consistently.

I honestly think this game comes down to a turnover or special teams play that either is the game winner, or game changer. You're right that the best Sooners have been out. Gresham was a blow, and Sam going down was a huge setback to any hopes for much. But with Sam back, and with the way he looked against Baylor, it should give our offense a real boost.

Gonna be a real interesting game.

picasso
10/12/2009, 11:35 PM
Eh be careful about predicting a defensive battle. Next thing you know both offenses will be blowing up.

Penguin
10/13/2009, 08:02 AM
For a second, I thought somebody would say that the weight room might be his best friend.

Did anybody see Bradford wearing that skintight Under Armour shirt after the Baylor game? Eh, he shouldn't wear that in public.