PDA

View Full Version : Sauteeing Onions

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2009, 07:54 PM
Does anyone not yet know the trick of sauteeing onions in cola instead of butter or whatever?

'Cause it's darn delicious.

Rogue
10/11/2009, 07:56 PM
Is this topping for grits?

I don't know the trick...seems like it'd carmelize a little sweeter and thicker.
How could a person ever clean the pan afterward?

Do share.

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2009, 07:57 PM
There's really no trick other than just doing it.

Heat cola to boiling in pan. Add onions. Cook until translucent. Drain and serve.

Cleans up just fine.

Very good as a topping for hot dogs. I just topped a steak with them, though. The steak had a catsup/jalapeno glaze, so the sweetness of the onions wasn't overpowering.

Soonerus
10/11/2009, 08:02 PM
cola as in coke ??

Petro-Sooner
10/11/2009, 08:08 PM
I'm always looking for new cooking tricks. I'll have to try it out.

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2009, 08:09 PM
cola as in coke ??

Yep. Though I use Pepsi, Coke works fine.

KABOOKIE
10/11/2009, 08:10 PM
Google it and find out!

Soonerus
10/11/2009, 08:12 PM
I'll try it, I have been cutting the core out of onions and adding beef bullion to the center, in foil...very good...

Soonerus
10/11/2009, 08:12 PM
Google it and find out!

Somebody was talking to you ???

unbiasedtruth
10/11/2009, 08:26 PM
I have always used a little butter and kosher salt..... may have to give the cola route a shot.... personally on steak I like a roquefort cheese / butter melted on it just before you take it off a wood (hickory or pecan) fire.....

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2009, 08:26 PM
I'll try it, I have been cutting the core out of onions and adding beef bullion to the center, in foil...very good...

That sounds amazing.

Anyhow, the cola trick was taught to me by a gourmet hotdog vendor. Guy operates in Anchorage from May-August and apparently makes enough to not work the rest of the year. Sells a lot of reindeer hot dogs and such.

Soonerus
10/11/2009, 08:29 PM
How long do you leave the onions in the boiling cola...I am trying this at OU/tx this weekend...

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2009, 08:31 PM
Just until they're translucent. If they're bendy, they're done.

KABOOKIE
10/11/2009, 08:59 PM
Somebody was talking to you ???

It was my super secret inside source.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/11/2009, 09:10 PM
Do the same with beer for brats/italian sausage.

In fact, you can make a really good gravy out of butter and a beer reduction to sling with those onions.

Lott's Bandana
10/11/2009, 09:53 PM
Who would have thought of this, the first d00d to ever eat an egg?

proud gonzo
10/11/2009, 09:58 PM
OMG that sounds awesome!

GottaHavePride
10/11/2009, 10:04 PM
If they're bendy, they're done.

Just like women.

Wait, what?

proud gonzo
5/14/2011, 10:39 PM
Does anyone not yet know the trick of sauteeing onions in cola instead of butter or whatever?

'Cause it's darn delicious.
I still have not tried this.

Why have I not tried this?

GKeeper316
5/14/2011, 11:04 PM
There's really no trick other than just doing it.

Heat cola to boiling in pan. Add onions. Cook until translucent. Drain and serve.

Cleans up just fine.

Very good as a topping for hot dogs. I just topped a steak with them, though. The steak had a catsup/jalapeno glaze, so the sweetness of the onions wasn't overpowering.

why the hell would you ruin a perfectly good cut of meat by putting catsup jalapenos and grilled onions on it?

all a steak needs to be perfect is a good marinade and a cook that knows wtf hes doing.

proud gonzo
5/14/2011, 11:20 PM
i agree with that for steaks, but ketchup is actually a very useful ingredient in sauces and gravies. It's basically just tomato paste with a little added vinegar and sugar (which helps caramelization). But for, say, a pork loin, sauteed onions and a little ketchup make a mighty tasty gravy (along with the drippings, water, and a little cornstarch, of course)

Mjcpr
5/14/2011, 11:23 PM

This is good, grilled. Especially with the vidalia onions floating around this time of year from the Shriners.

Frozen Sooner
5/14/2011, 11:49 PM
why the hell would you ruin a perfectly good cut of meat by putting catsup jalapenos and grilled onions on it?

all a steak needs to be perfect is a good marinade and a cook that knows wtf hes doing.

:rolleyes:

Tell you what, superchef: if you can rationally distinguish between marinating a steak and brushing a steak with a glaze of catsup and jalapeno jelly while it's cooking, you can have an opinion that's worth listening to.

And if you NEED to marinate a steak to make it perfect, you suck at steak. Sometimes, however, a different take on something can be good. Like a jalapeno/catsup glaze.

I suppose this is where you tell us your father is Bobby Flay, right?

olevetonahill
5/14/2011, 11:59 PM

Tell you what, superchef: if you can rationally distinguish between marinating a steak and brushing a steak with a glaze of catsup and jalapeno jelly while it's cooking, you can have an opinion that's worth listening to.

And if you NEED to marinate a steak to make it perfect, you suck at steak. Sometimes, however, a different take on something can be good. Like a jalapeno/catsup glaze.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

proud gonzo
5/15/2011, 12:13 AM
If that's true, then his father is a squinty beady-eyed whiny smarmy jerk.

GKeeper316
5/15/2011, 01:06 AM

my dad ain't bobby flay, but i've spent enough time running restaurants to know the difference between a glaze and a marinade. marinading a steak will keep it hydrated while its cooking. glazing it won't, unless you sear it over extremely high flame to seal the glaze, in which case you've ruined it by over cooking the outside and making it tough and rubbery.

anyone that doesn't properly marinade a steak before cooking it sucks at steak.

i suggest

1 1/2 cups merlot
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 minced clove of garlic
1 tsp. salt

let your steak sit in that for at least an hour before you grill it.

Sooner_Tuf
5/15/2011, 01:37 AM
my dad ain't bobby flay, but i've spent enough time running restaurants to know the difference between a glaze and a marinade. marinading a steak will keep it hydrated while its cooking. glazing it won't, unless you sear it over extremely high flame to seal the glaze, in which case you've ruined it by over cooking the outside and making it tough and rubbery.

i suggest

1 1/2 cups merlot
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 minced clove of garlic
1 tsp. salt

Well there is that or not buying your meat at wal-mart.

Turd_Ferguson
5/15/2011, 01:41 AM
Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's *** by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?
No, what I mean is, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ***... No, wait. It's gotta be your bull.

GKeeper316
5/15/2011, 01:42 AM
Well there is that or not buying your meat at wal-mart.

i get all my meats from my friend's parent's farm in okeemah.

Memtig14
5/15/2011, 01:45 AM
i get all my meats from my friend's parent's farm in okeemah.

I just get my meat outa my shorts.

Its all I need.

Memtig14
5/15/2011, 01:45 AM
:P

Turd_Ferguson
5/15/2011, 01:47 AM
I just get my meat outa my shorts.

Its all I need.Some of us need more than just an hors d'oeuvre...:D

sooner59
5/15/2011, 02:08 AM
Personally, if I get a shotty steak from somewhere I marinate it and hit it with Montreal Steak seasoning. Otherwise, if I get a really good fresh cut, then I won't marinate. I really like dry-aged steaks, but I have to go out to a restaurant for that.

Turd_Ferguson
5/15/2011, 02:12 AM
When I grill a steak, it has nothing but a little EVOO, kosher salt and some ground black...works ever time.

soonerboomer93
5/15/2011, 02:17 AM

i suggest

1 1/2 cups merlot
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 minced clove of garlic
1 tsp. salt

anyone that has to marinade a steak to keep it juicy, sucks at steak

GKeeper316
5/15/2011, 02:23 AM
anyone that has to marinade a steak to keep it juicy, sucks at steak

ok. what's that got to do with anything?

sooner59
5/15/2011, 03:53 AM
On a side note:

After I graduated today, the family randomly decided on Interurban in Norman for Lunch. Do NOT order a steak from there! I ordered it medium-rare and it came out medium-well. And it was bland as hell. I didn't eat it. Terrible. The service was terrible as well. We had a party of 7 and had to use a regular table and put a chair on the end. There was a round table easily capable of making us more comfortable.

They were not busy at all, yet they said they had a lot of reservations and they might need that table. Well, we stayed they long past when we finished our meals and nobody sat at the round table. In fact, the entire restaurant was a ghost town. And the wait staff showed up only to take our order and fill up drinks once. We all had empty drinks for a long time before. I got damn thirsty and nobody was in sight, so we just left.

Interurban in Norman can officially suck my nuts. Awful restaurant.

proud gonzo
5/15/2011, 03:08 PM
I've never eaten there. It sounds like the name of an after-school rec. center, not somewhere for a meal.

olevetonahill
5/15/2011, 03:12 PM
I've never eaten there. It sounds like the name of an after-school rec. center, not somewhere for a meal.

HEH:D

SoonerBread
5/15/2011, 03:25 PM
Coca-Cola is a good marinate for steaks, if you like marinating steaks. Most of the time I just use the Montreal seasoning sooner59 mentioned.

I sometimes soak my burger patties in Coke before grilling them just to change things up.

olevetonahill
5/15/2011, 03:27 PM
Coca-Cola is a good marinate for steaks, if you like marinating steaks. Most of the time I just use the Montreal seasoning sooner59 mentioned.

I sometimes soak my burger patties in Coke before grilling them just to change things up.

This, But as has been said ,If ya have to marinade a steak Its a ****ty cut of meat, Just go ahead and make ya a stew out of it.;)

SoonerBread
5/15/2011, 03:30 PM
This, But as has been said ,If ya have to marinade a steak Its a ****ty cut of meat, Just go ahead and make ya a stew out of it.;)

Werd, and when I've marinated anything it's been at the request of a guest.

I also fully believe steak sauces are for french fries and baked potatoes. If you need to eat your steak with sauce, you either aren't cooking it right or aren't ordering it right. I get upset when someone orders a steak well-done and then drowns it in some puky steak sauce.

olevetonahill
5/15/2011, 03:46 PM
Werd, and when I've marinated anything it's been at the request of a guest.

I also fully believe steak sauces are for french fries and baked potatoes. If you need to eat your steak with sauce, you either aren't cooking it right or aren't ordering it right. I get upset when someone orders a steak well-done and then drowns it in some puky steak sauce.

Agreed,A good steak dont need much if any seasoning. Lord I wont even have any steak sauce in the shack.

GKeeper316
5/15/2011, 05:40 PM
i'd like to slap the **** out of people that eat steak with sauce on it. a proper marinade will flavor the meat all it needs.

olevetonahill
5/15/2011, 05:41 PM
i'd like to slap the **** out of people that eat steak with sauce on it. a proper marinade will flavor the meat all it needs.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QgcIP-pa2II/SUbQw9KAJcI/AAAAAAAAAX8/TygI4OQWl-E/s400/GomerPyle.jpg

GKeeper316
5/15/2011, 05:52 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_QgcIP-pa2II/SUbQw9KAJcI/AAAAAAAAAX8/TygI4OQWl-E/s400/GomerPyle.jpg

lemme know when you go to a tailgate this fall so i can kick you square in the balls.

olevetonahill
5/15/2011, 05:54 PM
lemme know when you go to a tailgate this fall so i can kick you square in the balls.

Why Gomer Ill be at all of em. I may even give ya a Natty if yer nice and yer Daddy will let ya drink.;)