10/11/2009, 02:01 PM
we could use him there more often

BASSooner
10/11/2009, 02:04 PM
or madu

goingoneight
10/11/2009, 02:10 PM
Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Madu. Sorry, Mossis. :(

CB/Jonathon Miller at RB for a ground 'n pound attack, Murray in the slot, DeJuan Miller out wide and Caleb in the right side where Sam can use him like he did Iglesias the last few years.

sooner59
10/11/2009, 02:21 PM
Murray at RB and Madu at SR > Brown at RB and Murray at SR

Madu and Brown split time at RB and Murray at SL > Brown at RB and Murray at SR

That or whenever a WR drops a ball, replace him with Madu and see what he can do.

I used to think higher of Brown but he seems do be decreasing in productivity. I miss seeing Madu with the ball. He ran with more intensity and desire, IMO.

goingoneight
10/11/2009, 02:25 PM
Brown just had a good year without Allen Patrick or a healthy DeMarco Murray, playing behind a great line with a Heisman winner last year. Even then, Murray looked better and outshined him. CB is serviceable, and dependable, but he's not a game-changer. He might have a good 40, but he ain't the quick guy we need.

Ground_Attack
10/11/2009, 08:54 PM
man, you guys sure are fickle. Doesn't take long for someone to fall out of favor and get tossed under the bus. Brown is just fine. The OL stinks.

sooner59
10/11/2009, 08:59 PM
For the record, he never fell out of favor to me. I just was never that impressed with him to begin with.

rawlingsHOH
10/11/2009, 09:17 PM
Brown just had a good year without Allen Patrick or a healthy DeMarco Murray, playing behind a great line with a Heisman winner last year. Even then, Murray looked better and outshined him. CB is serviceable, and dependable, but he's not a game-changer. He might have a good 40, but he ain't the quick guy we need.

But Brown has proven himself durable. Murray has proven himself fragile.

Murray needs Brown (or someone) to take much of the pounding.

rawlingsHOH
10/11/2009, 09:22 PM
Thru 5 games...

Murray... 72 carries, 381 yards, 5.3 average, 3 TDs, long 38
Brown... 78 carries, 363 yards, 4.7 average, 3 TDs, long 48

The legend/myth of Murray continues to grow to new leaps and bounds.

Hotrod3157
10/11/2009, 09:23 PM
I like Murray out catching some passes. I think anytime they are gonna have Brown at RB they need to have Murray lined up at receiver. He makes things happen and needs to be on the field.

sooner59
10/11/2009, 10:00 PM
Thru 5 games...

Murray... 72 carries, 381 yards, 5.3 average, 3 TDs, long 38
Brown... 78 carries, 363 yards, 4.7 average, 3 TDs, long 48

The legend/myth of Murray continues to grow to new leaps and bounds.

Those stats for Brown are impressive, but this year, when we really needed it, he has usually been the one that was in......and he rarely got it. He has his flashes of brilliance, though.

And Brown's run at Miami made me cringe thinking of how much further it could have gone with Murray carrying that ball......just sayin.

rawlingsHOH
10/11/2009, 10:02 PM
Those stats for Brown are impressive, but this year, when we really needed it, he has usually been the one that was in......and he rarely got it. He has his flashes of brilliance, though.
I can't say that is true in regards to the Miami game.

sooner59
10/11/2009, 10:05 PM
I can't say that is true in regards to the Miami game.

I was watching the Miami game and saw Murray get 4-5 straight carries where he was getting 5-8 yards per carry. He came out for a breather, Brown came in, Brown got 2 straight carries for no gain. The drives stalls out. That was my point.

SoonerObsession
10/11/2009, 10:10 PM
Murray needs to tuck the ball in better. He scares me to death with his Joe Washington like carry's. CB seems to be better at protecting the ball. Just sayin...

rawlingsHOH
10/11/2009, 10:13 PM
I was watching the Miami game and saw Murray get 4-5 straight carries where he was getting 5-8 yards per carry. He came out for a breather, Brown came in, Brown got 2 straight carries for no gain. The drives stalls out. That was my point.
And my point is Murray isn't an everydown back, otherwise he wouldn't have to tap out after 4 carries. Gains of 12, 8, 0, 3.

Brown's ability (or lack of) had nothing to do with him being stopped on that series. The unimaginative play calling had the Miami defense swarming him before he had the chance.

Running 6 straight times, with a diminishing return for each successive carry, seemed like odd play calling to me. Not poor play by Brown. Peterson would have been stuffed there, too.

sooner59
10/11/2009, 10:23 PM
And my point is Murray isn't an everydown back, otherwise he wouldn't have to tap out after 4 carries. Gains of 12, 8, 0, 3.

Brown's ability (or lack of) had nothing to do with him being stopped on that series. The unimaginative play calling had the Miami defense swarming him before he had the chance.

Running 6 straight times, with a diminishing return for each successive carry, seemed like odd play calling to me. Not poor play by Brown. Peterson would have been stuffed there, too.

I'm not saying he isn't a good back. And I'm not saying Murray should play every down. I'm stating that IMO, Murray has a bigger up-side when he is in the ball game. The only problem with Murray at slot and Brown at RB is that I would rather see Madu get a few more touches. I'm not calling for Brown's head. He was just at his best before he cut weight and could pound out yards more. I know that its not always his fault.....trust me, I have been fuming about K. Wilson's play-calling on that very drive since it ended. If Whipple can outsmart our defense, there is no reason our OC couldn't outsmart theirs. He could have easily through a screen to Brown and both player and coach look good.

JLEW1818
10/11/2009, 10:27 PM
I was yelling at him, during the game!!! Turned around, looked up, and threw my hands up into the air... and said "wtf"????

i think he saw and heard me down in section 10

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/11/2009, 10:34 PM
I like the set we had with CB in the backfield and Demarco in the slot. It opens up a lot that we can do with them both on the field. Nobody can deny that Demarco isn't electric and a huge threat if he's got the ball in the open field. That's all I want to see so he has a chance to do what he does

sooner59
10/11/2009, 10:44 PM
I want to see a set with Murray in the slot, and have Brown and Madu in the backfield. Think of the crazy things we could do. Its not like we have All-American WRs that miss playing time because of it.

JLEW1818
10/11/2009, 10:47 PM
i say we totally screw with texas, and only run the triple option next game

put Tennell at QB

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 10:50 PM

put Tennell at QB

He'd drop every other snap. ;)

sooner59
10/11/2009, 10:51 PM

put Tennell at QB

Murray at QB, Clapp at FB, Brown and Madu at RB.

Murray sprints out, fakes the pitch to Brown, and toss back to the WR who slid back in the backfield.

The WR is Bradford! He bombs it to Dejaun Miller for the TD!

Wow, Bradford's only play of the game came with 0.08 left and OU WINS!

Final score: OU - 38 Texas - 13 (turns out it didn't make a difference)

JLEW1818
10/11/2009, 11:01 PM
Speaking of Clapp

we need to design something for him... i hope it comes out on Saturday

Toronto Sooner
10/12/2009, 12:40 AM
.....trust me, I have been fuming about K. Wilson's play-calling on that very drive since it ended. If Whipple can outsmart our defense, there is no reason our OC couldn't outsmart theirs. He could have easily through a screen to Brown and both player and coach look good.

^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^
^^^^^
^^^^
^^^
^^
^
That!

Aside from the Missouri game last year (in garbage time), Madu has never impressed me.

OU needs to get its difference makers on the field as much as possible. Given our receiver situation this year, I love the idea of Murray playing slot while Brown is in the game.

Caleb, WR
D. Miller, WR
Murray, Slot
Brown, RB

They need to keep sending this unit out and keep feeding them until they need a breather.

They should give Jonathan Miller a carry here and there also. I like his quickness and vision.

Dejuan may or maybe not turn into the monster I thought he would be, but he is showing signs that he could become a mini monster.

I swear, Caleb looks like Broyles in the open field sometimes - I have to remind myself the Broyles is injured.

Jaz looks smooth - very promising future.

Cameron has a lot of talent, but for some odd reason (not sure why) he doesn't look natural when he catches the ball.

I was in shock when Tennell caught that TD pass. I think he was in stock too. I threw the ball up in the air to celebrate. I think he had to catches in the game.

Clapp seems like he can't catch anything this year. I know he dropped a few last year also, but nothing like this year.

Man, Bradford is one special QB. A bit rusty (totally expected) and lots of receiver drops, but his field vision was amazing, especially for a first game back.

sooner59
10/12/2009, 12:50 AM
I would actually like to see more of Madu and Jonathan Miller for the same reason. Both run really hard and are always fresh because they don't see a ton of playing time. Plus it just seems that from what I have seen, neither settles on a certain yardage....both want to take it to the house every snap. I am looking forward to our future RBs and WRs. Hmmm.....and QB, and OL. I like our chances for the next few years on offense. If the defense can hold up (which it looks they may), we can thank our coaches for recruiting some hope for the future.