PDA

View Full Version : Hello Sooners....

BamaSon25
10/11/2009, 12:09 PM
It's been a while since I posted anything, but I do still come lurk around over here to see how my 2nd favorite team is doing. I wanted to ask you guys for some rankings in hopes of getting an objective fan's point of view from outside of the SEC. In SEC country, if you ask this question of rival fans, they always think their team should be in the top 5. No kidding, go ask a Vandy fan and even they well tell you something like, " Well, the only reason we aren't ranked is because ESPN pays off the refs and Mike Slive is mad at Vanderbilt Hospital because they weren't nice to his mother." Anyway, would you guys mind giving me who you think are the legitimate Top 5 teams in the country? I'll give you mine, and let's see how close my opinion is. If you wanted to go ahead and rank the Top 25 that would be fine by me too. I just know that is a good bit more time consuming. Thanks and Boomer Sooner!

1.)Alabama - I know I'm a homer, but I really do think we deserve to be here. If this team were Auburn, I still think they would be the legit #1.
2.)Va. Tech - I don't think they were anywhere near the caliber that they are now when we played them in Atlanta. I think they might have the fastest defense I have ever seen.
3.)Florida - They look beatable to me, but you can't deny that Tebow gets a lot out of his O-line and is a gamer himself. Personally, I like the kid and would much rather my son looking up to him as opposed to T.O. or Pacman Jones...Ya know?
4.)Texas - Not because I think they are invincible or anything, but because they play in your conference and do have a tons of talent. (Personal pick.....you guys get them next week and I can come back and revamp this Top 5)
5. I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM ABOUT TO TYPE THIS....Cinncinati. Have you guys watched them play? Man, they play very well as a unit. Just my opinion.

RTR,
BamaSon25

StoopTroup
10/11/2009, 12:15 PM
1) Miami
2) Brigham Young
3) Oklahoma
4) Tulsa
5) Idaho St./Baylor tied for fifth. :D

I know...I'm Homer....

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 12:17 PM
1. Bammer

2. Florida

3. Texas

4. VT

5. ???

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 12:21 PM
I have lived on the 'Bama/GA line (Columbus), South Carolina, FLA, and about 60 miles from the ARK border, so I am fully aware of the talk in the SEC. Here's my take:

1) Bama. You guys take it personally if the opponent crosses midfield. You are better at QB, deep at RB, and Jones is an absolute gamechanger.
2) FLA. They are very similar to you, except your running game and receivers are better.
3) VA TECH. I told a lot of people that this team was for real when I saw them in the ACC Championship last year. You could easily have a rematch with them in Pasadena.
4) Cincy. This team is for real, and I think Pike should win the Heisman. Thank God we play them next year without him!
5) USF. They are a dangerous team, and this game on Friday in Tampa should be great.

I refuse to put * there, for the same reason that I didn't put PSU that high this year. They get a N/A until they play somebody away from home who has a chance to beat them. All of the teams that are in my Top 5 have done that. At #6, I would put Iowa. They have beaten two quality opponents (PSU and Michigan), but look disinterested against lesser competition (Arky St. and No. Iowa). All of those five teams bring it every week.

OUAlumni1990
10/11/2009, 12:25 PM
1) Bama
2) Vtech
3) Florida
4) OU
5) Boise

OKC-SLC
10/11/2009, 12:31 PM
1) OU
2) OU's scout team
3) OU's 2010 signing class
4) a pile of ****
5) a smaller pile of ****
6) texas

BamaSon25
10/11/2009, 12:34 PM
1) OU
2) OU's scout team
3) OU's 2010 signing class
4) a pile of ****
5) a smaller pile of ****
6) texas

I goota tell ya...that's funny, but seriously....who do you think? :D

RTR
BamaSon25

delhalew
10/11/2009, 12:37 PM
I actually like your rankings BamaSon. Put me down for a ditto.

PDXsooner
10/11/2009, 12:37 PM
bama's good, no question. but it's hard to put them ahead of florida. i think it's a 2-team race in the sec. LSU has the offense of a slightly-above-average junior college and ole miss just isn't that good.

westbrooke
10/11/2009, 05:45 PM
1. Bammer

2. Florida

3. Texas

4. VT

5. ???

^This.

I think Bama and Florida are the only two teams worth a damn in the SEC. Texas is floating on rep right now, but they get the benefit of the doubt until they prove they don't deserve it. VT is a genuinely scary team, particularly when they can work the special teams magic. After that, I don't trust anyone farther than I can throw them. USC might get the 5 spot by default, but I think they're still very suspect and probably have a loss or two left in them. Oregon may trounce them.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/11/2009, 06:37 PM
1. Bama

2. Fla

3. Va Tech

4. Texass

5. Cincy

Most dangerous team who can beat anyone in the country on a given day that most wouldn't think of besides us..............Nebraska. That D is for real.

JLEW1818
10/11/2009, 06:40 PM
said it 2 weeks ago.

Bama is the best team in the nation

so far, lets see how my pre-season picks are coming

sec
FL over Bama

big east
cincy

pac 10
usc

big ten
ohio state

big 12
oklahoma over kansas

Acc
V Tech over fsu

MT West
byu

conference usa
houston

WAC
boise

okiewaker
10/11/2009, 06:47 PM
VT
Bama
Fla
UT
LSU

stoopified
10/11/2009, 06:47 PM
I'll get back to you after Oct 17.

JLEW1818
10/11/2009, 06:51 PM
VT
Bama
Fla
UT
LSU

How can u put v tech over bama?

Bama beat vt

Sabanball
10/11/2009, 07:05 PM
VT
Bama
Fla
UT
LSU

:confused: ????

okiewaker
10/11/2009, 07:05 PM
I just think VT is playing better right now. IMO.

OUbasketball4life
10/11/2009, 07:37 PM
1.) Bama
2.) Fla
3.) UT
4.) USC
5.) VT

Mike@DW
10/11/2009, 08:10 PM
Of the current top ten, Texass and Cinn are the only ones who have not proved they should be there. No wins against a ranked team for either of them. How can you judge a team to be "top ten worth" when they have only play against average or below average teams? Do you think Oklahoma would still be in the top 5 if we played a Texass type non-con schedule, still had all of our injuries, and still had our obvious weak points but were 5-0? We probably would but we would not deserve it.

Bama
VT
FL
USC
Miami

BamaSon25
10/11/2009, 08:25 PM
Of the current top ten, Texass and Cinn are the only ones who have not proved they should be there. No wins against a ranked team for either of them. How can you judge a team to be "top ten worth" when they have only play against average or below average teams? Do you think Oklahoma would still be in the top 5 if we played a Texass type non-con schedule, still had all of our injuries, and still had our obvious weak points but were 5-0? We probably would but we would not deserve it.

Bama
VT
FL
USC
Miami

I thought of that with Cinci too, but from watching them play, I think they could play with any of the top 5. At this point that #5 spot could easily go to USC by default in my book. You kind of made a good argument against your opening statement. Cinci doesn't play anyone and I ranked them in my top 5. Well, Texas really hasn't either and I allowed them to be there as well. Although, we will know well before a bowl game what Texas is made of; the same can't really be said for Cinci.

Off subject....I just watched the overdrive recording and thought Bradford looked good first game back.

RTR
BamaSon25

gatorpower
10/11/2009, 08:33 PM
1.)Alabama - I know I'm a homer, but I really do think we deserve to be here. If this team were Auburn, I still think they would be the legit #1.
2.)Va. Tech - I don't think they were anywhere near the caliber that they are now when we played them in Atlanta. I think they might have the fastest defense I have ever seen.
3.)Florida - They look beatable to me, but you can't deny that Tebow gets a lot out of his O-line and is a gamer himself. Personally, I like the kid and would much rather my son looking up to him as opposed to T.O. or Pacman Jones...Ya know? RTR, BamaSon25

I was unlucky to have the Virginia Tech/Duke game on my TV two weeks ago. There were times where Duke was dominating Virginia Tech on both sides of the ball. Yes. Duke. Thaddeus Lewis had 359 yards passing and 2 TDs; and was trailing VT by 4 points in the 4th quarter before they ran out of gas.

Nebraska should have also beat VT. They penalized themselves 20 yards to push themselves out field goal range in the 3rd quarter. Zac Lee also missed a wide open receiver that would have been a TD. VT scored a TD in the final 30 seconds to win. Hardly a dominating performance.

#1 and #2 gets settled on the field in Atlanta so there is no point discussing it.

Mike@DW
10/11/2009, 08:56 PM
I thought of that with Cinci too, but from watching them play, I think they could play with any of the top 5. At this point that #5 spot could easily go to USC by default in my book. You kind of made a good argument against your opening statement. Cinci doesn't play anyone and I ranked them in my top 5. Well, Texas really hasn't either and I allowed them to be there as well. Although, we will know well before a bowl game what Texas is made of; the same can't really be said for Cinci.

Off subject....I just watched the overdrive recording and thought Bradford looked good first game back.

RTR
BamaSon25

At this point in the season, the top ten comprises of those teams that are good and those that "should" be good. Which is why I am not a big fan of pre-season and early season rankings. I love the discussions of who deserves to be ranked where as much as any other CF fan, but we can have those without actually having rankings come out until week 5, 6 or 7.

IMO, the real proof of a quality team is going on the road and beating a quality opponent. This stuff about hanging 50 or 60 points on a UTEP or Idaho St means nothing. If I ran things, a BCS team could only play another BCS teams. How interesting would that be!? Having to play your first 4 games against other teams that actually have a chance to compete. Think of all the great games that we would have. I think playing a weak non-con is just pansy *** and they should not be rewarded for it.

Sabanball
10/11/2009, 11:32 PM
I was unlucky to have the Virginia Tech/Duke game on my TV two weeks ago. There were times where Duke was dominating Virginia Tech on both sides of the ball. Yes. Duke. Thaddeus Lewis had 359 yards passing and 2 TDs; and was trailing VT by 4 points in the 4th quarter before they ran out of gas.

Nebraska should have also beat VT. They penalized themselves 20 yards to push themselves out field goal range in the 3rd quarter. Zac Lee also missed a wide open receiver that would have been a TD. VT scored a TD in the final 30 seconds to win. Hardly a dominating performance.

#1 and #2 gets settled on the field in Atlanta so there is no point discussing it.

I think you are right.

Bosley
10/12/2009, 12:30 AM
I worked with 4 Bama grads in DC. I was a Bama fan after the home and home series with OU several years ago after interacting with their fans. All my Alabama alum friends became pretty big OU fans last year too, even came to the Big 12 champ watch party with an OU hat and Alabama shirt. Cool people.

1. Bama
2. Florida
3. Iowa
4. Boise
5. VT

sooner59
10/12/2009, 01:29 AM
Iowa is the biggest farce of an undefeated team in the nation. It took 2....count them....2 blocked FGs to beat D-II Northern Iowa by "ONE" point. They were scared to death by Arkansas State! They played an overrated Penn St. team and got really really lucky with the dumb turnovers to win the game. Iowa doesn't really matter because if they lose less than 2 games, I will be shocked.

SGT Park3R
10/12/2009, 04:53 AM
In my humble but not so important opinion:

Bama
Florida
V. Tech
Texas
USC (yes I know they got beat by the Huskies)