PDA

View Full Version : Here's What to Expect in Dallas

westcoast_sooner
10/11/2009, 01:11 AM
Based strictly on what we saw today from both the OU and UT camps, here is my prediction.

1. OU's offense will continue to be inconsistent next week in Dallas. I know, really going out on a limb here, but that's really the facts. The Sooner offense today, did two things. They got Sam back involved and second, had trouble in the Red Zone trying to run the football.

What did stand out was that we saw the emergence of some other weapons in the receiving corps.

2. The UT offense struggled against a motivated CU defense in the first half. I didn't see the 2nd half, but I'm guessing Mack's halftime speech blistered the paint in the Longhorn locker room and they decided to play two quarters of football.

3. For the Sooners to win, we have to play four full quarters. No taking a play or a series off for anyone. It's possible to play a flawless half of football against UT and take a healthy lead (10-14 points) to the locker room at halftime. But we've all seen that Mack's team is a 2nd half team.

4. Sam will need help from his receivers. He'll get it from some unexpected sources. Tennell and D Miller will be the stars.

5. The D will need to contain Colt and Shipley. Venables will have learned his lesson from last year. Shipley gets shut down. UT will have a couple of other weapons, but not the same playmaker as Shipley. They'll make some plays, get some yards, but the Sooner D will stiffen and deny the Horns.

6. Bottom line - OU comes away with a hard fought win. With Sam at the helm, new WRs emerging and DeMarco leading the RBs - OU wins 28 - 17. A late TD puts the game away for the Sooners.

sooner59
10/11/2009, 01:35 AM
I sure hope you are right. I am just going to hope we bring it.....but not get my hopes up.....if that makes sense. I will be there in the corner of the endzone in row 1 screaming my head off, though. I will curse at every whorn and cheer for every Sooner. After dealing with d*****bags after the '05 and '06 games, then being fairly nice to whorn fans after the '07 game, then dealing with total d*****bags again last year, its going down this year if we win. I want this one. And I want it so I can do to all the whorns what they have done to me. I don't want to be a good sport, I don't want to say "good game", I don't want to hold my tongue. I want to be vocal after a Sooner win. I want to be straight up obnoxious. I want to get in their face and throw down their stupid-*** whorns. I want to let them know that we ruined their season and will not let them into the Big 12 CCG, much less a MNC. I want them to suffer. Then I want a plane to fly over their campus that only says..."F*** YOU!".

gaylordfan1
10/11/2009, 01:37 AM
The D has to shut down Shipley... and only Shipley! If they do that then we have a chance! I'm going on a limb, but I think Kenney will be the go to next week. He missed 3 passes in a row and was placed on the bench for the rest of the game. I was glad to see Caleb and Miller step up. WoW, Texas must be confused as we are... We have not had a consistent WR making the plays in consecutive games. Well, maybe Caleb. But not a stand out by any means. Here's to us giving Texas the only run for there money this season. BC, if we don't beat then I have no clue who will. BOOMER>

SoonerKnight
10/11/2009, 01:38 AM
NICE!!!! :D

sooner59
10/11/2009, 02:06 AM
Chances Broyles makes an appearance?

I say 5%. Damn.

Gresham? 0%. Double Damn.

Collier11
10/11/2009, 02:29 AM
I feel relatively good about this game as well and I dont think it is just blatant homerism, something feels good about next wknd

Sooner70
10/11/2009, 07:11 AM
yeah, I hope wcsooner is right too.

Texas has no running game & hope it stays that way. No tight end threats either. If the Sooners can find a way to stop that short down under dink & dunk stuff to Shipley & keep Colt at bay, they definitely have a chance.

And yes, don't kick it to Shipley. I've never seen such a slow player look so shifty and fast. Great hands too....2 one handed catches in the game....both with a defender hanging all over him. I guess you'd expect that from a guy that's been in school forever.

Sooner receivers have got to catch the ball. More stick 'um, gloves or if the rules allow, a crab net or something.

I thought Sam looked pretty good. Does anybody have injury updates..Carter, Simmons? We need all hands on deck next week, but may not get them.

OU-HSV
10/11/2009, 07:39 AM
There is a good possibility that texass will have yet another slow start in this game. So we need to be firing on all cylinders, which would need to include catching passes instead of stonehands'ing the ball to the ground.
So if texass starts slow and we can get ahead of them early on and then play a solid game from that point on....then we can win this thing. But we will have to play and coach a complete game. Dropped passes can absolutely not happen in a game of this magnitude.

I was at the game yesterday and it seemed like we must have had a million drops. I heard 8 drops in the first half alone, did anyone hear the total number of drops for the game???

htownsooner7
10/11/2009, 08:26 AM
WC Sooner, since you didn't watch the 2nd half, the whorns offense had NOTHING to do the 2nd half turnaround. 2 special teams TDs, one pick 6. Haven't looked at the stats yet, but I'll bet the uterus offensive stats are poor. Their running gm is weak.

I Am Right
10/11/2009, 08:31 AM
Based strictly on what we saw today from both the OU and UT camps, here is my prediction.

1. OU's offense will continue to be inconsistent next week in Dallas. I know, really going out on a limb here, but that's really the facts. The Sooner offense today, did two things. They got Sam back involved and second, had trouble in the Red Zone trying to run the football.

1a----CATCH BALL

What did stand out was that we saw the emergence of some other weapons in the receiving corps.

1b----RUN GOOD ROUTES CATCH BALL

2. The UT offense struggled against a motivated CU defense in the first half. I didn't see the 2nd half, but I'm guessing Mack's halftime speech blistered the paint in the Longhorn locker room and they decided to play two quarters of football.

2a----TEXAS SUCKS

3. For the Sooners to win, we have to play four full quarters. No taking a play or a series off for anyone. It's possible to play a flawless half of football against UT and take a healthy lead (10-14 points) to the locker room at halftime. But we've all seen that Mack's team is a 2nd half team.

3a-----CATCH BALL

4. Sam will need help from his receivers. He'll get it from some unexpected sources. Tennell and D Miller will be the stars.

4a-----CATCH BALL

5. The D will need to contain Colt and Shipley. Venables will have learned his lesson from last year. Shipley gets shut down. UT will have a couple of other weapons, but not the same playmaker as Shipley. They'll make some plays, get some yards, but the Sooner D will stiffen and deny the Horns.

5a-----TEXAS SUCKS

6. Bottom line - OU comes away with a hard fought win. With Sam at the helm, new WRs emerging and DeMarco leading the RBs - OU wins 28 - 17. A late TD puts the game away for the Sooners.

6-----RUN GOOD ROUTES, CATCH BALL, TEXAS SUCKS

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 09:02 AM
WC Sooner, since you didn't watch the 2nd half, the whorns offense had NOTHING to do the 2nd half turnaround. 2 special teams TDs, one pick 6. Haven't looked at the stats yet, but I'll bet the uterus offensive stats are poor. Their running gm is weak.

Htown, you are absolutely correct. * offense had NOTHING to do with that. CU GAVE that game away, which is why they are 1-4 and the worst team in the conference. The blocked punt was because their punter tries to get the ball to knuckle off of his foot, which takes more time. And, yes, he's the same one from the Reggie Smith debacle. If you have good blockers or a traditional punt scheme, it works, but not with CU's swinging gate formation. On Shipley's return, the punter outkicked his coverage. If I am Tress Way and the Coaching staff, I practice this week with hitting sky high shorter punts, or angling kicks out of bounds. A 40-yarder for no gain or a fair catch is a whole lot better than having doughnut boy running playing a game of "can you catch me" with your kicker. The same cam be said when we play OSU and KSTATE with their return men.

No offense to the * DB, but I COULD HAVE PICKED THAT AND WENT TO THE HOUSE. Hawkins did all but go out and hand the ball to their DB. Sam, even with these receivers, won't do that.

Also, * has a BAD run defense. CU just ran it down their throats, at will. If Sam, Zach Robinson, Todd Reesing, or Blaine Gabbert were at QB for CU, * WOULD HAVE LOST. * is the biggest paper tiger out there, and they will be exposed on Saturday. Colt isn't as good as he was last year, and team has figured out the QB draw play. If you take away the bubble screen to SHipley, they are in a world of hurt.

That all being said, the good guys just need to come out and play their game. The guy who I want to see get the ball more is Miller. You know, I watched about 13 hours of football yesterday (God, I love my wife), and I didn't see a WR with his size and speed in the country. He's about 6'5", 225, and runs a 4.5! He has good hands and footwork, too. If people think Buckner at * can cause a mismatch, geez, Miller is an all-timer. They need to get screens, deep shots, and even reverses to him. By year's end, we might just well have a decent corps of receivers coming back next year, they just need to get their timing down with Sam.

As far as OUr goal line problems, some of that is OUr guys thinking too much. I know that fades can be risky, but we have some tall receivers. None of them are shorter than 6'1". Simply put it up and let them get it. As for running it, go straight ahead with a lead blocker. I tell you, * is not that great at defending the power O. * is a 3-loss team waiting to happen. I have not been impressed.

TXBOOMER
10/11/2009, 09:11 AM

Exactly! CU sux and played them pretty good. If OUr D AND Special teams can stand the F up next week we will win the ball game. I can't believe OUr freaking luck not having Gresham and Broyles.

StoopTroup
10/11/2009, 09:15 AM
I was watching mack on the sidelines in the 2nd half and he looked so drunk he couldn't speak....so I'm not sold that there was a blistering halftime speech.

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 09:20 AM
I was watching mack on the sidelines in the 2nd half and he looked so drunk he couldn't speak....so I'm not sold that there was a blistering halftime speech.

Doesn't he usually look that way?...The real motivator on that team is Muschamp. Davis is a moron, and Akina is a clown. :texan:

TexasLidig8r
10/11/2009, 10:21 AM

Also, * has a BAD run defense. CU just ran it down their throats, at will. If Sam, Zach Robinson, Todd Reesing, or Blaine Gabbert were at QB for CU, * WOULD HAVE LOST. * is the biggest paper tiger out there, and they will be exposed on Saturday. Colt isn't as good as he was last year, and team has figured out the QB draw play. If you take away the bubble screen to SHipley, they are in a world of hurt.

What game were you watching?

Colorado had 127 TOTAL yards for the game!

They had 42 TOTAL net rushing yards.

So.. if by limiting a team to 42 total net rushing yards is defined as "running it down your throats"... wow...

StoopTroup
10/11/2009, 10:34 AM
Your team didn't exactly roll over them in the 1st half Lid. I mean...your #2 in the Nation and supposed to be a lock for the NC right? It was a Home game too...WTF?

TexasLidig8r
10/11/2009, 10:56 AM
Your team didn't exactly roll over them in the 1st half Lid. I mean...your #2 in the Nation and supposed to be a lock for the NC right? It was a Home game too...WTF?

Sleep walking combined with a very vanilla offense.

Buffs had a good opening drive and then... nothing.. for the entire game. They had what... 68 yards on that first drive..

Then.. 59 for the rest of the game.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 10:58 AM

LOL!!!

Widescreen
10/11/2009, 11:02 AM
I think we can scheme to slow down Shipley. We did a good job against Crabtree last year. Hopefully that will happen again.

And to Lid's comment, yes CU was horrible on offense and UT's defense had a lot to do with that. I'm frankly more worried about UT's defense than their offense.

westcoast_sooner
10/11/2009, 11:27 AM
I'll watch the 2nd half of the UT/CU game this afternoon sometime. If it really was their special teams that won the game, I'll be encouraged.

The Sooner offense moved the ball pretty well yesterday, but it was Baylor - BAYLOR. Briles has their program moving in the right direction, and they may soon pass A&M for the bottom of the Big XII South. But Baylor isn't Texas.

What I was cautiously optimistic about was that the Sooners did find some receivers that made some plays. Sam knocked the rust off a little. He'll be better next week - he'll have to be. DeMarco is a stud. The guy brings it every week. OL pad level needs to be lower to knock the D back. Oh, and STOP Shipley.

MyT Oklahoma
10/11/2009, 11:33 AM
I sure hope you are right. I am just going to hope we bring it.....but not get my hopes up.....if that makes sense. I will be there in the corner of the endzone in row 1 screaming my head off, though. I will curse at every whorn and cheer for every Sooner. After dealing with d*****bags after the '05 and '06 games, then being fairly nice to whorn fans after the '07 game, then dealing with total d*****bags again last year, its going down this year if we win. I want this one. And I want it so I can do to all the whorns what they have done to me. I don't want to be a good sport, I don't want to say "good game", I don't want to hold my tongue. I want to be vocal after a Sooner win. I want to be straight up obnoxious. I want to get in their face and throw down their stupid-*** whorns. I want to let them know that we ruined their season and will not let them into the Big 12 CCG, much less a MNC. I want them to suffer. Then I want a plane to fly over their campus that only says..."F*** YOU!".

That's the spirit. And here's how I really feel about Texas myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHeXm7t-aAY&feature=related << Adult language.

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 11:41 AM

That's some funny stuff right there, I don't care who you are!

JediSooner
10/11/2009, 12:02 PM
My keys to the game for OU to leave Dallas with the W - things we CAN'T do that we've been doing the past few weeks...

Offense
1) O-line: Protect Magic Sam (pass protection actually hasn't been too bad overall, but now that Sam's back, let's try to keep it that way)
2) O-line: Run block/better push in the red zone
3) WRs/TEs: Catch the ball when Sam throws it
4) All: No foolish penalties!

Defense
1) CBs/LBs: Contain Shipley
2) D-line: Pressure Colt (if Colorado can do it, we can certainly do it)
3) All: Stop them on 3rd down, especially 3rd and long
4) All: No foolish penalties!

Special Teams
1) Contain Shipley... MOF, don't even kick it to him... directional kicks out of bounds would be the best plan IMO
2) Kick-offs need to hit the end zone... we only have 1 touchback all season and are giving up 20 yds per kickoff, essentially letting the other guy start at the 30/35 yd line
3) Pick up their fast guy if/when we have to punt (the guy who blocked the punt vs Colorado... he's pretty damn fast)

Just my .02

Collier11
10/11/2009, 12:07 PM
Curly,

If we go out and hold texas to 21 or less I want you to start a I Love Brent Venables and I am sorry for being so mean to him thread...deal?

FaninAma
10/11/2009, 12:08 PM
What game were you watching?

Colorado had 127 TOTAL yards for the game!

They had 42 TOTAL net rushing yards.

So.. if by limiting a team to 42 total net rushing yards is defined as "running it down your throats"... wow...

So you're saying CU's rushing game is
better than Texas' ? After all they did
outrush Texas.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 12:14 PM
Curly,

If we go out and hold texas to 21 or less I want you to start a I Love Brent Venables and I am sorry for being so mean to him thread...deal?

No deal. Musclehead's legacy shall not be determined by success or failure in one game, but by his sustained ability to be mediocre. ;)

Collier11
10/11/2009, 12:24 PM
in that case, his D is allowing 8.4ppg so far this yr so...

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 12:26 PM

...and yet we've lost to the only two decent teams we've played this year, partly because the D couldn't get a stop when we desperately needed one, so... ;)

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 12:28 PM
...and I don't care about what the stats say, I care about seeing our D make the same dumas mistakes year after year, seeing the same lame-*** scheme year after year, seeing the same lack of in game adjustments year after year...

StoopTroup
10/11/2009, 12:29 PM
Have you prayed for tebow Curly?

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 12:30 PM
Have you prayed for tebow Curly?

Yep, prayed that he'd get run over by a truck. :P

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 12:32 PM
Yep, prayed that he'd get run over by a truck. :P

Oh sh*t! There went my Nobel Prize! :mad: :mad: :mad:

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 12:32 PM
Defense
1) DBs: DON'T PEEK IN THE STINKING BACKFIELD!!!!!
2) CBs/LBs: Contain Shipley
3) D-line: Pressure Colt (if Colorado can do it, we can certainly do it)
4) All: Stop them on 3rd down, especially 3rd and long
5) All: No foolish penalties!

Fixed. Like I have said a couple of times, we have given up 6 TDs this year, and three of them have been due to our CBs peeking in the backfield.

okiewaker
10/11/2009, 12:33 PM

^^^^^
This is great. Slow down shipley, slow down shipley, and slow down shipley. All i got to say.

prrriiide
10/11/2009, 12:51 PM

That's nice. I'm glad we're keeping some folks out of the EZ, even if 1/2 of our games have been against patsies.

But the D is not helping the offense out much. 2/3 of our drives are starting inside our own 30 YL. The defense bends (by design) and lets the opponents get some yards, then they punt. And they pin our offense inside the 20. Our offense that does not have the use of the two players most able to stretch the field. The offense that, up until yesterday, did not have the use of their biggest playmaker. Our offense that STILL, 5 games into the season, is having mental lapses and blocking busts up and down the OL.

If we lose the field position strategy against texass, we lose. And we lose BIG, because Shipley and Buckner will be open all day underneath and they will make us pay for the catches they make. They are both better receivers than OU has faced yet this year, both in terms of getting open and in YAC. If we are to have hope of winning this game, our D must give the offense as short of a field as possible every time.

Just a reminder: the defense is at 100%. The offense is not. Why would you expect a depleted unit to pick up slack for a unit that is at 100% health? It should be the other way around.

OKC-SLC
10/11/2009, 01:09 PM
I think the number one priority should be stopping the underneath stuff--shipley or whoever. Last year they didn't have a tightend and they put Shipley in the slot and had him function as a receiving tightend. It killed us. It prolonged drives, kept the offense off the field, and wore the D out.

If we can stop this, we can/probably will win. If we can't (and we've demonstrated difficulty with this for 6 years), we'll lose.

Collier11
10/11/2009, 01:10 PM
We need a good start on offense, especially running the ball

goingoneight
10/11/2009, 02:04 PM
It doesn't matter how bad yout think Cody Hawkins is, nor how many rushing yards, passing yards or Bevo chips left in the CU backfield... CU was in full control of Texas IN AUSTIN. Full control of the game until Cody floated a screen pass right to Earl Thomas that went 94 yards back for a TD.

Texas, having just took the lead, also had full momentum from that part on. CU's defense and continued to keep it interesting, but special teams gave up another TD to Shipley (not hard to do, JS is good), making it 24-17. Cody then threw another floater smack dab into double coverage when there was still at least hope they could hang with Texas, of course Blake Gideon held onto this one and Cart did enough to finish them off.

Texas IS beatable... but we are far more beatable than they are. They've eeked out wins when their back is against the wall, and they've yet to suffer any Gresham-esque injuries. We, OTOH, have nil from last year's full roster of elite playmakers. The most dangerous names on our roster got absolutely swallowed by Texas last year. Sam can get the ball there, but as long as the offense continues this streak of inconsistency, we'll lose every tight game we're in.

okiewaker
10/11/2009, 02:13 PM
It doesn't matter how bad yout think Cody Hawkins is, nor how many rushing yards, passing yards or Bevo chips left in the CU backfield... CU was in full control of Texas IN AUSTIN. Full control of the game until Cody floated a screen pass right to Earl Thomas that went 94 yards back for a TD.

Texas, having just took the lead, also had full momentum from that part on. CU's defense and continued to keep it interesting, but special teams gave up another TD to Shipley (not hard to do, JS is good), making it 24-17. Cody then threw another floater smack dab into double coverage when there was still at least hope they could hang with Texas, of course Blake Gideon held onto this one and Cart did enough to finish them off.

Texas IS beatable... but we are far more beatable than they are. They've eeked out wins when their back is against the wall, and they've yet to suffer any Gresham-esque injuries. We, OTOH, have nil from last year's full roster of elite playmakers. The most dangerous names on our roster got absolutely swallowed by Texas last year. Sam can get the ball there, but as long as the offense continues this streak of inconsistency, we'll lose every tight game we're in.

Got a txt from a friend in austin (horn fan) they are panicing down there. Funny stuff

Collier11
10/11/2009, 02:52 PM
These are exactly the kind of games that Mack screws up, Stoops can get back in his head next week, hopefully he takes advantage of it

goingoneight
10/11/2009, 02:55 PM
I think this OU team has been consistent in entirely the wrong way. Dropped passes that kill drives, missed tackles that keep drives alive, penalties... the writing is on the wall for UT. All they have to do is sharpen up their own little miscues and they could absolutely embarass us just like they did in 2005 when we were jumping off-sides, dropping passes, etc. Margin for error is VERY slim in competitive matchups.