PDA

View Full Version : Brian Jackson and Ryan Reynolds

htownsooner7
10/10/2009, 09:18 PM
Need big games out of both these guys next week. Frankly, I think both may need to play better than they are. They both were targeted by Baylor and will be again by the whorns. Here's hoping..

goingoneight
10/10/2009, 09:24 PM
OUr zone coverage out wide gets exposed underneath by everyone. Texass will do just the same.

It's a lose-lose situation, though... because we're not elite speed-wise at corner for press coverage. Methinks we need to go ahead and try press anyway just to tangle guys up for a few extra seconds... make Colt McCoy run against GK and the boys.

Widescreen
10/10/2009, 09:26 PM
Franks doesn't have elite speed? Huh?

sooner59
10/10/2009, 09:31 PM
Franks may have elite speed, but it didn't help him in man-coverage at Miami when he went brain dead and let his guy run by him for a TD.

Collier11
10/10/2009, 09:34 PM
very few of ut's wrs are "elite" speed wrs, but that doesnt really matter for wrs, its all about being quick in their offense

sooner59
10/10/2009, 09:46 PM
As long as they go over the middle or run 10-15 yards and stop they will be open 100% of the time. That or I have been watching Fresno or Utah or some other team that resembles our colors.

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 10:08 PM
I think Jackson will do fine against UTerus, I think they will expose Reynolds big time.

The Ghost of Mex
10/10/2009, 10:20 PM
I seem to remember Reynolds being the difference in the game last year.

Before injury = Sooners ahead
After injury = Sooners behind

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 10:21 PM
I seem to remember Reynolds being the difference in the game last year.

Before injury = Sooners ahead
After injury = Sooners behind

Yeah, and because of that injury he's slower than he was. In coverage he's a big liability now.

CrimsonJim
10/10/2009, 10:24 PM
I think Jackson will do fine against UTerus, I think they will expose Reynolds big time.

Oh come on CB, you know VB will have a fantastic game plan for the whorns. ;)

Collier11
10/10/2009, 10:24 PM
he had a worse injury the year before and was playing well against uterus last yr

CK Sooner
10/10/2009, 10:25 PM
I thought Reynolds looked really good.

He also deflected one for an interception and broke one up I believe.

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 10:25 PM
Oh come on CB, you know VB will have a fantastic game plan for the whorns. ;)

BV will have the same game plan he always has -- it's all he knows. ;) :(

I heard Jordan Shipley is going shopping for track shoes tomorrow. :P

Prodigal
10/10/2009, 10:26 PM
Reynolds was better in coverage today than either other LB.

The other primary LB was the one who couldn't cover late against Miami.

CrimsonJim
10/10/2009, 10:30 PM
he had a worse injury the year before and was playing well against uterus last yr

I thought Reynolds looked really good.

He also deflected one for an interception and broke one up I believe.

Reynolds does seem a bit slower than last year, but I don't think he will be a weak link against Fexus.

CK Sooner
10/10/2009, 10:31 PM

Exactly.

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 10:33 PM
Just because some other LBer can't cover that doesn't mean that Reynolds can. Hell CK, you could outrun the guy, I know the whorns will be able to.

...and the whorns have shown an affinity for attacking peeps over the shallow middle.

CK Sooner
10/10/2009, 10:37 PM
Just because some other LBer can't cover that doesn't mean that Reynolds can. Hell CK, you could outrun the guy, I know the whorns will be able to.

...and the whorns have shown an affinity for attacking peeps over the shallow middle.

Haha, I bet no one on this board could outrun Reynolds.

I think he is faster than most people think and from what I saw tonight he stayed on his man pretty darn good.

I was watching the Texas game and they're MLB is really good in coverage.

CK Sooner
10/10/2009, 10:39 PM
Also another tidbit from the Texas came that we should have known all along.

We need to get double coverage on Shipley every time with our best CB on him everytime. If we stop Shipley they can't do **** and that is a fact.

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 10:44 PM

We need to get double coverage on Shipley every time with our best CB on him everytime. If we stop Shipley they can't do **** and that is a fact.

Well yeah, you thought of that, but do you really think musclehead will think of it? ;) :D

CK Sooner
10/10/2009, 10:50 PM
Well yeah, you thought of that, but do you really think musclehead will think of it? ;) :D

I hope they gameplan around him.

Maybe this will be the game they start putting another Defensive Back in on 3rd down situations. They tried it against BYU a couple of times and it seemed to work pretty good.

For example on 3rd down, switch out Travis Lewis or Ryan Reynolds with someone like J. Nelson. (of course he might START against texas with quinton hurt) I think he would be decent against a run, but be elite in pass coverage and I don't care who they put in they need to put in the best reserve defensive back they have. This would only work against Texas because they don't have a big tight end. If they did then I would want a bigger linebacker on him.

Oh, and remember the title game when we sent back McCoy into coverage on third down against Florida and he got that interception? Worked pretty good, but I haven't seen it again this year. I have seen English dropping back a few times though. He deflected a few passes from doing it.

I am telling you, Jeremy Beal is the best player on our defense and I think he has a big game against Texas. It's sad to see English isn't having the same impact as before is injury.

The Ghost of Mex
10/10/2009, 10:52 PM

The exception proves the rule...I agree completely.

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 10:56 PM
I can't understand why English is on the field. He made a few tackles today, but he can't rush the passer to save his life. Are RJ and David King really standing on the sidelines while this guy is playing?

CK Sooner
10/10/2009, 10:58 PM
I can't understand why English is on the field. He made a few tackles today, but he can't rush the passer to save his life. Are RJ and David King really standing on the sidelines while this guy is playing?

No clue.....

Does anybody know if English even has a sack this year?

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 11:00 PM
No clue.....

I can't remember it if he does. It makes what Beal has done even more impressive, because English doesn't draw much attention these days.

The Ghost of Mex
10/10/2009, 11:02 PM
No clue.....

Don't pretend...you dream about his sack every night.:D

CK Sooner
10/10/2009, 11:03 PM
I can't remember it if he does. It makes what Beal has done even more impressive, because English doesn't draw much attention these days.

King and Washington were getting a ton of praise at the end of camp and now they aren't even rotating in at all.

Strange.

CK Sooner
10/10/2009, 11:03 PM
Don't pretend...you dream about his sack every night.:D

So true.

Collier11
10/10/2009, 11:06 PM
obviously they arent as good CK, English does have a sack and he has been wreaking havok. Success isnt always measured by sacks

And for those of you saying Reynolds looked slow, did you all not see him run down that rb/wr from behind?

CK Sooner
10/10/2009, 11:08 PM
obviously they arent as good CK, English does have a sack and he has been wreaking havok. Success isnt always measured by sacks

And for those of you saying Reynolds looked slow, did you all not see him run down that rb/wr from behind?

Never said they were as good and your right, success isn't always measured by sacks but it is a big part of it. I usually watch the games and he usually gets locked up with the guy and can't break away.

And there was more than one time that he ran someone down...

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 11:10 PM
All I see English do is get single blocked and stood up by whatever left tackle is lined up in front of him, he plays like his whole body is in a straight jacket. English might be the stiffest white guy in America, and I don't mean in a good way. ;) :D

VA Sooner
10/10/2009, 11:44 PM
Bad game for the 'horns tonight except for special teams. Without them, they would have been much closer... like 14-21 closer.

But that Jordan Shipley... damn that guy can catch and fly. Reminds me of Percy Harvin...

adoniijahsooner
10/11/2009, 12:40 AM
Haha, I bet no one on this board could outrun Reynolds.
I think he is faster than most people think and from what I saw tonight he stayed on his man pretty darn good.

I was watching the Texas game and they're MLB is really good in coverage.

Seriously, I would smoke RR, and maybe half of OU's team.

Collier11
10/11/2009, 02:27 AM
CK you do realize that RR probably runs a 4.7-4.9...several ppl could outrun him

En_Fuego
10/11/2009, 02:46 AM

LOL

Okie35
10/11/2009, 03:22 AM
OUr zone coverage out wide gets exposed underneath by everyone. Texass will do just the same.

It's a lose-lose situation, though... because we're not elite speed-wise at corner for press coverage. Methinks we need to go ahead and try press anyway just to tangle guys up for a few extra seconds... make Colt McCoy run against GK and the boys.

The reason why that happened today is because Jackson gave the Baylor receiver a cushion. I like that better because last year Cosby was getting lobs over Jackson and he was behind Jackson the whole time. This time Jackson won't let anything behind him. Oh yea, and we may be "mediocre" to some ppl on this board but Texas really isn't that good

Okie35
10/11/2009, 05:11 AM
I am telling you, Jeremy Beal is the best player on our defense and I think he has a big game against Texas. It's sad to see English isn't having the same impact as before is injury.

True statement... hopefully something clicks w/ English next week. I think someone needs to remind him how dominant he was before his injury.

gaylordfan1
10/11/2009, 06:10 AM
Beal is a great player... one of the best on our front four, but double teams on McCoy has something to do with his success! My qestion is do you guys really thing A. English should be on the bench? It's crazy to think anyone would want redshirt freshmen that hasn't proven themselves in place of a guy that has been so dominant this year and years past.

htownsooner7
10/11/2009, 08:22 AM
I thought the Baylor receivers ran by Jackson a few times yesterday. I'm sure fexas will take their shots. What makes me feel a little better is that the whorns have no running game, none. Should be able to game plan a bit to get the whorns in third and long. Thats the key for the D.

Widescreen
10/11/2009, 09:51 AM
Texas had 313 total yards against CU yesterday.

46 rushing
267 passing (on 33 completions)

I'm now more worried about their defense than their offense.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/11/2009, 09:59 AM
Brian Jackson looks kinda slow.

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 10:04 AM
The bigger concern for me is busted coverages. Of the six TDs we have given up this year, three we due to busted coverages (the two winning TDs for BYU & Miami, and the one yesterday). Another was a gift after a turnover inside of the 10. In all three busted coverages, the DBs were peeking in the backfield (twice for Dom, once for Jackson). Being a DB, and a former DB coach, this makes Coach Stoops more livid than even other coaches. Even more frustrating is that these two are a couple of the more experienced guys on the team. That will be the defensive key- DON'T PEEK IN THE STINKING BACKFIELD!!!!

CK Sooner
10/11/2009, 10:12 AM
CK you do realize that RR probably runs a 4.7-4.9...several ppl could outrun him

How do you know that he runs that?

And again I don't think that anyone on this board could run a 4.7.

tulsaoilerfan
10/11/2009, 10:57 AM
I hope they gameplan around him.

Maybe this will be the game they start putting another Defensive Back in on 3rd down situations. They tried it against BYU a couple of times and it seemed to work pretty good.

For example on 3rd down, switch out Travis Lewis or Ryan Reynolds with someone like J. Nelson. (of course he might START against texas with quinton hurt) I think he would be decent against a run, but be elite in pass coverage and I don't care who they put in they need to put in the best reserve defensive back they have. This would only work against Texas because they don't have a big tight end. If they did then I would want a bigger linebacker on him.

Oh, and remember the title game when we sent back McCoy into coverage on third down against Florida and he got that interception? Worked pretty good, but I haven't seen it again this year. I have seen English dropping back a few times though. He deflected a few passes from doing it.

Do we ever game plan for another team's best player? Honestly?

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 11:02 AM
Beal is a great player... one of the best on our front four, but double teams on McCoy has something to do with his success! My qestion is do you guys really thing A. English should be on the bench? It's crazy to think anyone would want redshirt freshmen that hasn't proven themselves in place of a guy that has been so dominant this year and years past.

The only thing English has been dominant at this year is getting his *** blocked off by a single blocker. Two years ago he was a really good player, maybe even dominant, since the injury he's not even been close to that.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 11:04 AM

Are you serious? I guarantee you there are peeps on this board that can run a 4.7

15-20 years ago I could beat that by .2 of a second. Now...not so much. :D

adoniijahsooner
10/11/2009, 11:13 AM

CK, I ran a 4.45 in the rain 2 years ago. You have no idea who post on this board, so it's kinda foolish to make that assessment. Heck, 10 years ago before I gave up track and field I competed @ the indoor nationals in Atlanta Georgia. In High School, I won 6 state titles....I would smoke RR and look back and laugh just for the fun of it.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 11:18 AM
It surprises me that people apparently believe that because someone is a D-1 athlete that they possess some kind of superhuman skills that no one else can possibly possess. For instance RR being faster than all the peeps that post on a message board, or the dealio last year where a few misguided peeps gave me grief because I said I can shoot the rock better than Tony Crocker. Being a D-1 athlete does not make someone automatically faster, stronger, or a better shooter of the basketball than someone who is not a D-1 athlete.

Kinda the same thing with peeps saying we can't be critical of Bob, BV, KW and the boys because we're not D-1 coaches ourselves.

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 11:23 AM

CK, as much as we love ya' here, I agree with Curly Bill and Adonijah on this one. My stepson posts here, and is a 16-year old soccer player and kicker who runs a 4.6 (and would love to come to OU, BTW, if he doesn't follow his stepbrother, my son, to FLA). He's also about 6'1" to 6'2" and about 180, and can kick the carp out of a football.

MyT Oklahoma
10/11/2009, 11:23 AM
Kinda the same thing with peeps saying we can't be critical of Bob, BV, KW and the boys because we're not D-1 coaches ourselves.

Really? As in no s***? I've kind of noticed that one too now that you mention it. LOL

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 11:27 AM
CK, as much as we love ya' here, I agree with Curly Bill and Adonijah on this one. My stepson posts here, and is a 16-year old soccer player and kicker who runs a 4.6 (and would love to come to OU, BTW, if he doesn't follow his stepbrother, my son, to FLA). He's also about 6'1" to 6'2" and about 180, and can kick the carp out of a football.

Well, it's settled then -- he sounds like he's too big, and has too strong of a leg to kick for OU. :D

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 11:28 AM
Really? As in no s***? I've kind of noticed that one too now that you mention it. LOL

I'm not a plumber either, but I know enough to realize that if there's standing water all over my kitchen floor there's a problem. ;) :D

adoniijahsooner
10/11/2009, 11:30 AM
It surprises me that people apparently believe that because someone is a D-1 athlete that they possess some kind of super-human skills that no one else can possibly possess. For instance RR being faster than all the peeps that post on a message board, or the dealio last year where a few misguided peeps gave me grief because I said I can shoot the rock better than Tony Crocker. Being a D-1 athlete does not make someone automatically faster, stronger, or a better shooter of the basketball than someone who is not a D-1 athlete.

Yeah, there are many people who either through missed opportunity or necessity gave up a dream. For me time with my family was more important than being gone 3 days a weekend and the having to deal with the temptations that could ruin a man. Plus, I have seen many bballers that have tremendous skill, who just didnt make it.

starclassic tama
10/11/2009, 02:17 PM
I said I can shoot the rock better than Tony Crocker.

LOL.

goingoneight
10/11/2009, 02:40 PM

Reynolds gave up the easy Baylor TD. He just watched and hoped his guy (Baylor FB) didn't get the ball. He had everyone lined up well for the play... just got caught farting around himself.

Collier11
10/11/2009, 02:45 PM

Being fast isnt reserved for only college for pro athletes, there are probably a few guys on this board that can run a 4.5 or 4.6 CK.

I dont know that RR is that slow but he was a 4.6 guy before the two serious injuries so do that math

Collier11
10/11/2009, 02:50 PM
D1 athletes are typically better all around athletes (speed/strength/quickness) combined than the normal person, that is why they are D1 athletes. That doesnt mean that any individual cant have 1 skill set that is superior to a D1 athlete. Hell, Richard Anoison(sp?) played on my Y league team back when he was on Kelvin Sampsons team and I could out shoot that guy any day. The reason he was a D1 athlete and I am not is cus he could run faster and jump higher.

goingoneight
10/11/2009, 04:25 PM
If Reynolds and Jackson are the best we've got, and I'm pretty damn sure we've done a little scouting around to find better... well...

adoniijahsooner
10/11/2009, 04:59 PM
If Reynolds and Jackson are the best we've got, and I'm pretty damn sure we've done a little scouting around to find better... well...

I have seen too many lbs and dbs in the nfl who possess less than blazing speed be super effective, because they were football smart. As slow as RR may be, he was just fast enough to overrun plays against Miami, and he was fast enough to make some plays against Baylor and BYU. I am more concerned with how fast his brain synapses are then his legs.

CK Sooner
10/11/2009, 05:26 PM
You guys still don't know what RR actually runs everything is just speculation from what you are seeing on the field, but that is beside the point. I was just trying to say that he is better in coverage then most of you are giving him credit for.

adoniijahsooner
10/11/2009, 05:35 PM
You guys still don't know what RR actually runs everything is just speculation from what you are seeing on the field, but that is beside the point. I was just trying to say that he is better in coverage then most of you are giving him credit for.

I guess we will see next weekend, huh? Him and Shipley will prolly get real acquainted on Sat.

CK Sooner
10/11/2009, 05:38 PM
I guess we will see next weekend, huh? Him and Shipley will prolly get real acquainted on Sat.

We will see.

I have rewatched the Texas game many times and he played pretty good coverage on him. You have to realize that Shipley is one of the best in the country. Everything went down-hill after he got hurt for a reason.....

Collier11
10/11/2009, 06:08 PM
CK, do you really have a avi of Zac Efron...OK, enough of the bull****, you cant hide it anymore. You are either gay or you are a girl, either way I dont care but it would be nice if you would tell us which one

Collier11
10/11/2009, 06:11 PM
and another thing CK, I can gaurantee you RR is not faster than 4.7, Lendy was a 4.7 guy for gosh sakes. Im not dogging the guy cus he has great instincts and a great feel for the game, 40 time doesnt always translate into being a good player, he is a good player regardless

JLEW1818
10/11/2009, 06:13 PM
Nic Harris ran a 4.85 NFL combine..................................

Widescreen
10/11/2009, 06:15 PM
Times in the 40 are fairly irrelevant in coverage. There are some 4.4 and 4.3 guys that really suck in coverage. It's more about change of direction and lateral movement. I think that's where RR has lost something.

Boarder
10/11/2009, 06:37 PM
Playing well? Jermichael Finley should give RR a portion of his NFL check. RR personally raised his draft stock a full round.

Collier11
10/11/2009, 06:50 PM
Im talking about last yrs game, the injury that RR suffered in 07 was worse than the one he suffered last year against texas

CK Sooner
10/11/2009, 07:39 PM
I for one am on the RR bandwagon.

JLEW1818
10/11/2009, 07:41 PM
beginning of last year, i thought RR blew!!!!

then we lost him against texas.... and yah....

CK Sooner
10/11/2009, 07:43 PM
Travis Lewis is a good at filling the gaps and being in position which gets him a lot of tackles....his speed helps too, but he has trouble separating when he is blocked which hurts him a lot. It seems like he gets manhandled some out there too.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 08:08 PM
Travis Lewis is a good at filling the gaps and being in position which gets him a lot of tackles....his speed helps too, but he has trouble separating when he is blocked which hurts him a lot. It seems like he gets manhandled some out there too.

Much like Clayton he's an undersized LBer. That's the trade off for smaller faster LBers. That's why it's best if they're big and fast.

CK Sooner
10/11/2009, 08:16 PM
Much like Clayton he's an undersized LBer. That's the trade off for smaller faster LBers. That's why it's best if they're big and fast.

I am looking to see what Ronnell Lewis can do and I hope they don't move him back to defensive end. He is huge.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 08:17 PM
I am looking to see what Ronnell Lewis can do and I hope they don't move him back to defensive end. He is huge.

We'll probably give him a look at center or guard next year. ;) :P

CK Sooner
10/11/2009, 08:20 PM
We'll probably give him a look at center or guard next year. ;) :P

Maybe :)

I am real nervous about next week if Q. Carter and B. Simmons are out I am going to be very worried, but Marcus Trice is suppose to be Carters backup and he is suppose to be on hell of a cover safety. Texas should have 2 running backs not playing against us and it would be nice to focus on the pass game more if they can't run very well.

rawlingsHOH
10/11/2009, 09:25 PM

Yes, though he's less exposed.

rawlingsHOH
10/11/2009, 09:27 PM
I thought the Baylor receivers ran by Jackson a few times yesterday. I'm sure fexas will take their shots. What makes me feel a little better is that the whorns have no running game, none. Should be able to game plan a bit to get the whorns in third and long. Thats the key for the D.
Jackson had a little bit of a meltdown this time last season, too.

He really struggled in the middle of 08, but rebounded nicely. I looks like they ran a lot more man or man/combo coverage yesterday.