PDA

View Full Version : To all these ppl saying we could EASILY lose 4 or 5 conference games...

Okie35
10/10/2009, 12:33 PM
I want you to watch these games going on right now and re-evaluate what the hell you said. I'm talking about various OU "fans" on here too.

mightysooner
10/10/2009, 12:41 PM
4-5 is a stretch. 2-3 isn't though. Texas, at Nebraska and then at Texas Tech are losable games if we can't find some people to step up on offense.

Okie35
10/10/2009, 12:43 PM
4-5 is a stretch. 2-3 isn't though. Texas, at Nebraska and then at Texas Tech are losable games if we can't find some people to step up on offense.

Yea 2 at most but I don't even think that. Only tough game to call in my opinion is next weekend.

mightysooner
10/10/2009, 12:47 PM
Yea 2 at most but I don't even think that. Only tough game to call in my opinion is next weekend.

I can call that one right now but I'll just get ripped to shreds on here.

bluedogok
10/10/2009, 12:52 PM
It could happen because that is the nature of the game anymore but I don't believe it will. If there ends up being more injuries you never know.

Okie35
10/10/2009, 12:57 PM
It could happen because that is the nature of the game anymore but I don't believe it will. If there ends up being more injuries you never know.

But then take into the fact that other teams could have players injured too. I still think our depth is better than most of the teams we play. We have back-ups that could easily start on other Big XII teams. I was just bringing up the fact that some ppl on here said we could "EASILY" lose 4 or 5 conference games. I think that's pretty funny.

okiewaker
10/10/2009, 12:59 PM

Kansas ain't gonna be easy either. jus sayn

bluedogok
10/10/2009, 01:00 PM
But then take into the fact that other teams could have players injured too. I still think our depth is better than most of the teams we play. We have back-ups that could easily start on other Big XII teams. I was just bringing up the fact that some ppl on here said we could "EASILY" lose 4 or 5 conference games. I think that's pretty funny.
I agree, but then we didn't think there was anyway OU would lose at Colorado a few years ago or to BYU this season. You just never know as there is so much more talent spread around these days and road games are a big equalizer. You never know how backups are going to respond no matter how highly ranked they were by recruiting services. You would think some of the other receivers would have stepped by by this point in the season as well.

TXBOOMER
10/10/2009, 01:06 PM
Anybody that think OU will lose 4 or 5 more games is saying that for shock value. I can see them losing anywhere from Zero to at f'in worse three.

mightysooner
10/10/2009, 01:09 PM

True. Reesing is a much better QB than Jacory Harris.

Okie35
10/10/2009, 01:21 PM

Uhh yea they will be. Well, let me put it like this they won't be as tough as YOU think they will be. Only time I see that game being close is in the 1st quarter.

tommieharris91
10/10/2009, 01:21 PM

Their D probably isn't as good as Miami's though.

mightysooner
10/10/2009, 01:25 PM
Their D probably isn't as good as Miami's though.

The same Miami D that got torched by Va-Tech?

Okie35
10/10/2009, 01:25 PM

You also have to factor in that Stoops KNOWS Mangino and we play KU often. Last year remember when we stomped Tech what did he say afterwards. "I didn't think it would be that hard of a game... I mean I know these guys." Well that wasn't word for word but it was along those lines. Texas and Nebraska should be tough. KU maybe for a while but then not so much. I think just because they are a Big XII team you guys think you have to give them credit. In my opinion they are OVER ranked. Top 25 maybe but where they are now no.

Okie35
10/10/2009, 01:27 PM
The same Miami D that got torched by Va-Tech?

You realize how good VT is right?! I'll even go along the lines of saying they won't lose a game. Only hard game they have left is against GT. Oh the same GT that Miami beat so it should be an easy game to VT to your standards right.

mightysooner
10/10/2009, 01:33 PM
You also have to factor in that Stoops KNOWS Mangino and we play KU often. Last year remember when we stomped Tech what did he say afterwards. "I didn't think it would be that hard of a game... I mean I know these guys." Well that wasn't word for word but it was along those lines. Texas and Nebraska should be tough. KU maybe for a while but then not so much. I think just because they are a Big XII team you guys think you have to give them credit. In my opinion they are OVER ranked. Top 25 maybe but where they are now no.

I'm not concerned about what Kansas is ranked or whether we know their offensive tendencies or not. For some reason the Kansas teams always bow up and play us tough and they always score points on us.
I'm concerned about OUR ability to move the football and score going forward from this point. We have zero playmakers currently on our offense now that Broyles is DOA. Of course Sam being back is a HUGE boost but who is he going to throw too? We will face stacked boxes and blitz happy defenses the rest of the year with an average O-line because nobody will respect our receivers. That's what I'd do if I were a D-Co.

Toronto Sooner
10/10/2009, 01:35 PM
OU may not lose any conference games this year, but it would only be due weak defenses in the Big 12 and despite of KW. I haven't posted anything about the Miami loss on purpose, as everyone else were already voicing my thoughts already. I will stop at this post also. BS and KW refuse to admit that coaching tactics need adjustments. It's a big turn off for me. It's especially a turn off when BS looks down on fans and the media for pointing out valid concerns. The arrogance is a big turn off.

It has been Groundhog Day the movie for me. It knew exactly how KW would collapse in the the 2nd half of the BYU and the Miami game. I was fully expecting it, yet again. We saw it in the Texas game and we saw it in the Florida game. I posted detailed post-mortems after the Texas, Florida and BYU games. It's all there in my historical posts (this is not new to this year). I'm not jumping on the bandwagon here. I've have been warning about this and have been fully expecting it to blow up like this (but hoping it wouldn't, as a big OU football fan). The post-mortems all detail the same problem with KW. It's not just because of our OL and lack of play makers this year (although that has contributed further, naturally). I saw the same problems with KW in tough situations last year, when we had our all NFL o-line in place and our all NFL play makers. The problem with KW can be summarized in 3 parts, IMO:

1) He is too stubborn to move away (when required) from old school/mash mouth football - "my guys are going to mash run the ball right over your guys, end of story". He is a former o-line guy and that is his mentality. IMO, he believes that this is a battle in the trenches, muscle to muscle, no other strategies are required. IMO, he believes that players have to step up and be accounted for in the trenches as men. He is going to mash it until that happens. IMO, he is too stubborn to change (even temporarily), especially when it's clear it's not working.

2) He folds under pressure in close games. He either doesn't know how to adjust or is just simply incapable of adjusting effectively. Either way, he gets BADLY out coached in close games against talented and athletic defensive players with solid coaches.

3) IMO, the arrogance is overwhelming. Not just from KW, but from the entire OU coaching staff. IMO, there is a major difference from blinded arrogance versus confident swagger.

I know that BS is a good person, and has done a lot for the Sooners program, but I lost some of that respect for him this week for the way he brushed off the fans and the media, and refuse to hold his coaches more accountable.

The reason I don't think the core problems are fixed is due to BS and KW not admitting at all that coaching strategies and play calling needs to be revisited. They are blaming the loses pretty much 100% of injuries and to the competition just playing great, and to 50-50 chance of plays working.

It will continue to be Groundhog Day for me, even if we win out the rest of this year - it will just be another smokescreen. The core problems have not been addressed and therefore will resurface again next year.

This is all I will say on this subject matter.

mightysooner
10/10/2009, 01:36 PM
You realize how good VT is right?! I'll even go along the lines of saying they won't lose a game. Only hard game they have left is against GT. Oh the same GT that Miami beat so it should be an easy game to VT to your standards right.

Why is Va-Tech so "good" because they smoked Miami? They barely squeaked by the average Skers at home, and they had to escape at the last minute to beat Duke.

Okie35
10/10/2009, 01:37 PM
I'm not concerned about what Kansas is ranked or whether we know their offensive tendencies or not. For some reason the Kansas teams always bow up and play us tough and they always score points on us.
I'm concerned about OUR ability to move the football and score going forward from this point. We have zero playmakers currently on our offense now that Broyles is DOA. Of course Sam being back is a HUGE boost but who is he going to throw too? We will face stacked boxes and blitz happy defenses the rest of the year with an average O-line because nobody will respect our receivers. That's what I'd do if I were a D-Co.

Are you watching this Iowa State game we could easily run on KU. To me they are decent but they definitely took several steps down from last year. Only good player on their defense is Stuckey. They lost linebackers and d-linemen. Nimmo could play against KU and have a career day.

Okie35
10/10/2009, 01:38 PM
Why is Va-Tech so "good" because they smoked Miami? They barely squeaked by the average Skers at home, and they had to escape at the last minute to beat Duke.

You brought that up not me (as in killing Miami's D) and YES VT is a good team. They could win out if they keep their head on straight. Well the Nebraska game makes sense if you think about it. They aren't familiar teams I mean they played each other last year but different personnel. I mean if we played BYU in the 3rd week we would beat the .... ahhh nevermind.

mightysooner
10/10/2009, 01:41 PM
You brought that up not me and YES VT is a good team. They could win out if they keep their head on straight.

What I'm asking you is why they're such a "good team". The facts are.....they smoked Miami. But they barely beat the average Skers at home and escaped at the last minute against Duke. You may be right. But the facts show the jury is still out on Va-Tech.

mightysooner
10/10/2009, 01:51 PM
Are you watching this Iowa State game we could easily run on KU. To me they are decent but they definitely took several steps down from last year. Only good player on their defense is Stuckey. They lost linebackers and d-linemen. Nimmo could play against KU and have a career day.

I hope you're right. But look at the last few games with Kansas under Stoops. They've scored LOTS of points on us too and we don't come close to blowing them out..

I believe last year we were in a dog fight to the end and won 45-31 when we were a NC caliber team. Kansas isn't scared of us.

Okie35
10/10/2009, 03:27 PM
I hope you're right. But look at the last few games with Kansas under Stoops. They've scored LOTS of points on us too and we don't come close to blowing them out..

I believe last year we were in a dog fight to the end and won 45-31 when we were a NC caliber team. Kansas isn't scared of us.

I think our defense will step up whenever its needed. Their defense on the other hand will crack. I know KU can score and put up points. Personally I don't think any team is scared of us. At least not this year.

Denver_Sooner
10/10/2009, 03:37 PM
Hey Coolaid drinkers, I did what you asked. Watching the games on TV right now especially OU Baylor. 2nd Quarter and I'm not impressed. I stand by what I said 5 losses this year. If you want me to shut up, pass some of the stuff you are drinking my way..........

goingoneight
10/10/2009, 04:24 PM
This team could become as bad as the 2005 effort but not based on attitude or coaches. We're just not MNC-caliber and it seems the bad breaks just aren't going to stop. Remember how bad we got defensively last year when Reynolds went down? Ummm... that would be our "injury-prone guy" who HASN'T gone down... yet.

SB looks a little rusty, but dependable. No Gresh, no Broyles, GK got a little shook up... we all thought back in January that with no SB, no JG, no Broyles or GK... we were in for a LONG YEAR. Well... keep your fingers crossed that this bad luck passes DAMN SOON.

SoonerStormchaser
10/10/2009, 05:13 PM
What the **** are some of you smoking? This is Baylor...BAYLOR that we have looked like absolute dog**** against! They haven't caught the ball worth a damn, Rataree is still being penalized for being the dumbest man on the planet, the running playcalling is still crap. It's not all coaches, cause you can't make a dude catch a catchable ball that Sam has put right on them...but the coaches have to bear a great deal of the heat because it's their job to motivate and teach these players...and it's pretty damned obvious that the offense is flat out crap this year.

The question is not if Texas will beat us if we each play at our respective talent levels, but how badly will they slaughter us. I'd go so far as to count Kansas, Nebraska and Texas Tech as probable losses if we keep playing like what we've been seeing these first five games.

Ladies and gentlemen, let's at least look at this with some sense of reality...it's gonna be a tough year for the team this year.

GottaHavePride
10/10/2009, 06:09 PM
I'm curious where the OP came from...

I saw some people in another thread (myself included) saying that the idea that we might lose 4 games all season was perhaps not a ridiculously outlandish one. Losing four conference games (for a total of SIX all season) is, indeed, fairly ludicrous.

I could see potential losses to two of Texas, Nebraska, and O-State. On the other hand, I could see us somehow managing to win all of those, too.

Denver_Sooner
10/10/2009, 06:14 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, let's at least look at this with some sense of reality...it's gonna be a tough year for the team this year.

My thoughts exactly

Denver_Sooner
10/10/2009, 06:15 PM
I'm curious where the OP came from...

I saw some people in another thread (myself included) saying that the idea that we might lose 4 games all season was perhaps not a ridiculously outlandish one. Losing four conference games (for a total of SIX all season) is, indeed, fairly ludicrous.

I could see potential losses to two of Texas, Nebraska, and O-State. On the other hand, I could see us somehow managing to win all of those, too.

I still stand by my 3 conference loss prediction. I don't see 4 as possible.

A-M
10/10/2009, 06:30 PM
What the **** are some of you smoking? This is Baylor...BAYLOR that we have looked like absolute dog**** against! They haven't caught the ball worth a damn, Rataree is still being penalized for being the dumbest man on the planet, the running playcalling is still crap. It's not all coaches, cause you can't make a dude catch a catchable ball that Sam has put right on them...but the coaches have to bear a great deal of the heat because it's their job to motivate and teach these players...and it's pretty damned obvious that the offense is flat out crap this year.

The question is not if Texas will beat us if we each play at our respective talent levels, but how badly will they slaughter us. I'd go so far as to count Kansas, Nebraska and Texas Tech as probable losses if we keep playing like what we've been seeing these first five games.

You have some good points here. Can't remember how many passes we dropped today, but far too many! I believe it was 7 in the first half alone. If you can't catch the ball when Sam places it in your hands, and you can't socre a TD but half the time you are in the red zone, you are in trouble. Next week could be a big beat down if things don't change fast! :(

Crucifax Autumn
10/10/2009, 07:17 PM
**** every team mentioned in this thread other than OU. I hope they all go on 5 game losing streaks.

delhalew
10/10/2009, 07:29 PM
On that note, the horns are playing like azzz against the buffs.

soonerborn30
10/10/2009, 11:15 PM
I was one that said we'd lose 6 games. If our inability to score TDs in the red zone continues, we will lose all of our road games, the Texas game, and the Bedlam game. This is going to be a long season. I hope I'm wrong and all the receivers remember how to catch balls, KW starts turning the page, and BV starts actually making adjustments as the game goes on. But until I see all that happen, this is a team that will be fighting for bowl eligibility. But of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 11:16 PM
I don't think there's any way we lose 6 games, but I don't think we're done losing this year either.

Collier11
10/10/2009, 11:25 PM
I could easily see us get hot ala 05 an finish out 12-2 or 11-3, I could also see 9-4

Denver_Sooner
11/21/2009, 04:22 PM
TTT

jumperstop
11/21/2009, 05:25 PM
I could easily see us get hot ala 05 an finish out 12-2 or 11-3, I could also see 9-4

What about 7-5 or 6-6? AHH how hindsight is 20/20.

Peeb
11/21/2009, 05:46 PM
xxxx

Straz1999
11/21/2009, 06:45 PM
Looking pretty good for that 4-loss conference season now. That team that went to Lubbock will not beat Okie State, I dont care how bad they played against Colorado.