PDA

View Full Version : How many schollies are left?

IronHorseSooner
10/10/2009, 10:40 AM
With 23, I know that we are still holding out for some big fish like Henderson, Jeffcoat, White, and Stills. We likely have some second options out there like the kids from Blinn JC, the WR out of Columbia, MO, and maybe another OL. I am pumped about this class! This will likely be Coach Stoops's best class. This class has some serious speed.

Toronto Sooner
10/10/2009, 02:16 PM
What's the status on Jameel Owens? If he is transferring then does that increase your number? Also, a lot of our juniors will likely be moving to the NFL. If such is the case then does that increase your number also?

Frozen Sooner
10/10/2009, 02:17 PM
Owens transferring changes the total number (you're allowed 85 total scholarships) but not the initial number (you can only have 25 new ones each year.)

MojoRisen
10/14/2009, 11:56 AM
Miami had 31 last year??? I think we have about 28 spots with the Juniors leaving etc.

Rhino
10/14/2009, 01:08 PM
At least two of them are coming early and will count toward last year's class.

Big D Sooner
10/14/2009, 01:55 PM
Who is coming early?

IronHorseSooner
10/14/2009, 03:16 PM
Favors, Irwin, McClain, Powell, and Woods, according to what Rhino has on the signees thread. If that is the case, and if you can have only 25 per year, then according to my math, that would leave six more slots. Again, from what I have heard, we are leading on White, are still in the running on Stills and the WR from Columbia, MO, still in on Jeffcoat, and the three guys from Blinn JC. There are probably still others, but those are the only ones that I can remember off of the top of my head.

Rhino
10/15/2009, 02:58 PM
Irwin recently said he and Woods are coming in early and rooming together in the spring.

Favors, McClain and Powell have all stated they want to come in early.

IronHorseSooner
10/15/2009, 04:46 PM
What's really good about that is out of those five, we have 2 OL and 2 WR, the two places that we could really use some help. The last is an LB, where it is always good to get some guys some reps, considering OUr luck with those guys.

TXBOOMER
10/18/2009, 09:23 PM
Very glad to see Daryl Williams out of Lake Dallas committed. He has super quick feet. I'll bet he ends up being a special player at O Tackle.

soonerfan28
10/19/2009, 11:44 AM
Miami had 31 last year??? I think we have about 28 spots with the Juniors leaving etc.

I think quite a few of Miami's were greyshirted and a few of the others were placed at JUCO's. Some of those guys don't qualify.

stoopified
11/14/2009, 12:34 AM
This past Tuesday(on the call-in show) Bob saqid he expects to sign around 30.He said several will count against last years total.

Little Al
11/30/2009, 12:23 AM
Jeffcoat canceled his visit to the OU-OSU game. Is he still interested in us?

westcoast_sooner
12/12/2009, 12:44 AM
This past Tuesday(on the call-in show) Bob saqid he expects to sign around 30.He said several will count against last years total.

Rivals has our current verbal list at 25. Think Newton, Stills, White - would be a nice way to round out and maybe finish with a couple of JUCO OL.

IronHorseSooner
12/12/2009, 09:12 AM
Rivals has our current verbal list at 25. Think Newton, Stills, White - would be a nice way to round out and maybe finish with a couple of JUCO OL.

IMHO, it is down to seven for five spots:

QB: Newton
WR: Stills, White
DE: Martin
S: Jefferson
OL: Gayden (big JUCO OL), Damien Robinson

I think we get either Stills or White, Gayden, Martin, Jefferson, and Newton.

pappy
12/16/2009, 01:34 AM
Martin committed to Cal.

I'm hoping for

QB: Newton
WR: Stills or White or both.
ATH: Jefferson
OL: Cullen
DE: Jeffcoat

IronHorseSooner
12/16/2009, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I really wanted to get Martin. At OL, I forgot about Cullen. He could help shore up the gaping hole at LG. If we don't get White or Jeffcoat, I would bet that we get another one of those JUCO OL.

IronHorseSooner
12/20/2009, 09:22 PM
With Owens and Jones leaving, along with the fact that Stills and Jefferson enrolling early, I guess that means we could conceivably sign up to five more guys. I am tracking the possible candidates for these spots as:

QB- Newton
OL- Cullen, Robinson
DE- Jeffcoat
WR- White, Lucas (even though I think he will end up at Mizzou)
DT- Uko
K- Cole Way (hey, we've recruited every other position out there, and hey, you have to like the prospect of a 6'6" kicker)

Salt City Sooner
12/20/2009, 09:39 PM
Lucas verbaled to Mizzou a day or 2 ago.

IronHorseSooner
12/21/2009, 08:14 AM
Well carp. With Lucas to Mizzou, White (likely) to *, and Ransom to 'Zona, it looks like we might be finished with WRs.

Salt City Sooner
12/21/2009, 11:56 AM
Star receiver reportedly high on OSU

By BILL HAISTEN World Sports Writer
Published: 12/21/2009 2:32 AM
Last Modified: 12/21/2009 4:55 AM

Darius White is rated by Scout.com as a five-star prospect and the nation's No. 1 wide receiver recruit. Sources indicated that White may have shortened his list of possible destinations to two schools — Oklahoma State and LSU.

A 6-foot-4, 210-pound wideout from Fort Worth's Dunbar High School, White reportedly also has been recruited heavily by Oklahoma, Texas, Florida and Texas Tech.

Jan. 2 already was a big date on the Oklahoma State calendar as the Cowboys face Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl. Depending on what White has to say during the Under Armour All-America Game in Orlando, Fla., it could wind up becoming an even more significant Saturday for the OSU football program.

White, who averaged 22.2 yards per reception during the 2009 season, is expected to announce his college destination during the Under Armour game.

Accompanied by his mother and two younger brothers, White recently made an official visit to the OSU campus. He plays for the Dunbar basketball team, and it is believed that a member of the OSU football coaching staff attended Dunbar's game last Tuesday.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20091221_93_B1_Darius252629

spatton713
12/21/2009, 09:03 PM
i thought it was down to lsu ou

Fraggle145
12/22/2009, 03:14 AM
this is from the Tulsa World... They have a woody for the aggies, like the aggies have a woody for sheep.

IronHorseSooner
12/22/2009, 10:56 AM
Even though he would be a great get for us, he seems like he would fit better at OSU. He seems to fit their receiver mold (Bryant, Bowman, Woods).

IronHorseSooner
12/29/2009, 09:42 AM
So, with Newton (and most likely D. WHite) eliminating us, who are we still after? I have Cullen, Damien Robinson, Uko, and Jeffcoat. Anybody else?

OU44life
12/29/2009, 10:01 AM
So, with Newton (and most likely D. WHite) eliminating us, who are we still after? I have Cullen, Damien Robinson, Uko, and Jeffcoat. Anybody else?

ESPNU 150 defensive tackle George Uko commits to the Trojans
The Southern California Trojans have received a big Christmas present in touted defensive tackle George Uko of Don Lugo (Chino, Calif.) for the Class of 2010.

Say goodbye to Uko too.

I think Seantrel Henderson still has a visit set up with us in January

IronHorseSooner
12/29/2009, 11:22 AM
Well, carp again! I do remember that both Jeffcoat and Henderson have their visits in JAN, not long before signing day in FEB.

misplacedsooner
12/29/2009, 01:35 PM
they would be a nice pair to land.

Desert Sapper
12/30/2009, 08:38 AM
So... how many schollies do we have left? We have 27 commits right now.

IronHorseSooner
12/30/2009, 11:23 AM
The Coaching Staff is looking to sign 30 this cycle, so I think they are looking to sign 3 more.

Rhino
12/30/2009, 02:20 PM
We have 27 commits right now. 26, actually. Eddrick Loften's offer was pulled recently.

IronHorseSooner
12/30/2009, 03:00 PM
Well, that would mean that we will likely sign a QB (Newton or Faulkner), an OL (Cullen, Robinson, Henderson), and/or Jeffcoat. I could see them leaving open the possibility of a transfer or a kid who wants to leave/decommit from Tech, based on recent events.

Losing Loften isn't as critical now that we have Jefferson, and we have two other good and fast safeties coming in with Haynes and Hayes. We are loaded at safety for years, anyway.

Desert Sapper
1/1/2010, 01:34 AM
What's the story on Eddrick Loften?

Desert Sapper
1/1/2010, 01:35 AM
And I thought Newton signed with Auburn?

KiiDSooNER
1/1/2010, 10:00 AM
Eh. I don't think Faulkner has a chance to do much with Landry/Blake Bell and even Drew Allen on the team. I wish we had Newton, but I guess we got to move on. If we have an extra schollie, than might as well give it to him.

Desert Sapper
1/1/2010, 05:09 PM
Can anybody clarify the Eddrick Loften thing? I can't find anything about it. I note that he's a soft commit, but that's it.

KiiDSooNER
1/1/2010, 05:50 PM
Can anybody clarify the Eddrick Loften thing? I can't find anything about it. I note that he's a soft commit, but that's it.

Someone here said it had to do with his grades.

IronHorseSooner
1/2/2010, 02:03 PM
Well, with the two prima donnas now off to show their arses, who are we still in on? Here's who I can recall off of the top of my head:

QB: Faulkner
OL: Henderson, Cullen, Robinson

KiiDSooNER
1/3/2010, 09:55 AM
Add Eric Humphrey to that list. We're thin at defensive tackle and Humphrey is a 4* defensive tackle. Would be nice to steal him away from Texas, who also are after him.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Eric-Humphrey-105475

IronHorseSooner
1/3/2010, 10:09 AM
Doesn't look like UTerus has a visit listed for him. It would be nice to get some more depth there.

jonclarkx
1/3/2010, 10:16 AM
Does anybody think we might offer a scholarship for a kicker? What about Paddy? Could he potentially get a scholarship?

Some have mentioned Kevin Cabello's name before, but he might be one to offer if we have an extra schollie:

http://newsok.com/kicker-kevin-cabello-a-vital-asset-for-putnam-city-north/article/3426861

KiiDSooNER
1/3/2010, 12:58 PM
He hasn't scheduled yet, but his stock has been rising in the state of Texas.

EDIT: This was towards IronHorse.

IronHorseSooner
1/3/2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Kiid!

IronHorseSooner
1/3/2010, 01:57 PM
Besides Cabello, there's also Tress Way's younger brother, Cole. He's listed on Rivals as 6'8", 210! Cabello's 6'5", which is tall for a kicker. He's not listed on Rivals, probably because he hasn't decided if he wants to stick with football or soccer.

Eielson
1/3/2010, 03:26 PM
Besides Cabello, there's also Tress Way's younger brother, Cole. He's listed on Rivals as 6'8", 210! Cabello's 6'5", which is tall for a kicker. He's not listed on Rivals, probably because he hasn't decided if he wants to stick with football or soccer.

Tress' little brother is NOT 6'8.

gaylordfan1
1/4/2010, 12:08 AM
I beg to differ, Ive seen him play. everyone else on the field comes up to his waist.

misplacedsooner
1/4/2010, 12:12 AM
i could care less how tall he is if he can kick the ball through the uprights.

Frozen Sooner
1/4/2010, 12:17 AM
I can't even imagine how slow a 6'8" kicker would be. That's going to lead to a lot of blocks. At least, that's what my short self thinks. :D

oudavid1
1/4/2010, 02:16 AM
I worked very closely with Kevin Cabello, he is a great kicker and a great young man, someone needs to pick him up, he is among the elite kickers in high school football. I would know, i was his holder

Collier11
1/4/2010, 03:15 AM
big diff between being a good HS kicker and a good college kicker, just ask Jimmy and Tress

IronHorseSooner
1/4/2010, 04:42 PM
I think that Tress is a good punter, and maybe KO guy, just not an FG kicker. Jimmy just doesn't have the leg strength for this level. With Cabello, he would only get stronger, and he's already booming some now. If he wanted to play soccer, as well, I would make him a goalkeeper. His size is about what most big-time keepers are, plus kicking FGs, KO, or punts are similar mechanics as the type of kicks that a goalkeeper would make.

Jello Biafra
1/5/2010, 11:18 AM
cole way is over 6'6" and is kicking the ball through the uprights on kick offs. ive watched him both at yukon and jenks. he is a legit weapon at kicker.

KiiDSooNER
1/5/2010, 02:42 PM
I forgot about another guy as well. Geneo Grissom is strongly considering us after the mess at Kansas. He visited us and liked what he saw here, so he could be another defensive end who could be getting a schollie.

Collier11
1/5/2010, 03:31 PM
can he kick it straight on field goals though?

oudavid1
1/5/2010, 05:08 PM
I toally agree with you that there is a huge derence between HS and NCAA kicking, but the Cabello kid is the kind that dosnt really lose focus cause he such a melo dude, this guy has no fear

oudavid1
1/5/2010, 05:10 PM
www.twitter.com/davidleake

Collier11
1/5/2010, 05:28 PM
who is david leake?

oudavid1
1/5/2010, 06:16 PM
Another obsessed OU fan

Mjcpr
1/5/2010, 07:55 PM
cole way is over 6'6" and is kicking the ball through the uprights on kick offs. ive watched him both at yukon and jenks. he is a legit weapon at kicker.

The Union kid? He looks VERY tall and VERY skinny. In that game or two that I saw him, he had pretty good leg strength but I didn't see any sailing through the uprights.

Jello Biafra
1/6/2010, 10:16 AM
The Union kid? He looks VERY tall and VERY skinny. In that game or two that I saw him, he had pretty good leg strength but I didn't see any sailing through the uprights.

in the past 2 years, hes kicked 3 of them against us ON KICKOFFS...also 3 for 3 in FGs and about 30 for 30 in XP (hey they scored a bunch on us over the past two years lol)

when im talking about kicking through the uprights, im talking about 10 feet over the crossbar, guys. regardless of how acurate he is for FGs, the weapon we need is the one where he kicks into the endzone and the returner has to make a choice. bring the ball out and possibly lose motor function after his world goes black for a few seconds or down it and live to fight another day.

OU44life
1/7/2010, 10:09 AM
Well, with the two prima donnas now off to show their arses, who are we still in on? Here's who I can recall off of the top of my head:

QB: Faulkner
OL: Henderson, Cullen, Robinson

I think we can cross Henderson off of our list.

No. 1 offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson sets fifth visit
Five-star offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson (Saint Paul, Minn./Cretin-Derham) has already made official visits to Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC and Florida and will make his fifth to Miami-FL, ESPN affiliate Web site InsideTheU.com reports.

"They're definitely in it. I'm taking my visit there on the 29th," said the ESPNU 150 talent. Minnesota, Oklahoma and Iowa were previously in the running for his final visit date.
Additionally, Henderson said he's still interested in Notre Dame, where his former teammate wide receiver Michael Floyd plays, "There has been a lot as far as coaches and changes in the program and stuff like that, but Notre Dame is still in it."

He also commented on the Urban Meyer-Florida situation, "I haven't heard from Urban ever since he resigned or whatever. I have been talking to Coach (McCarney) the defensive line coach, he's the one who recruits me."

Fraggle145
1/8/2010, 02:21 AM
I just want a kicker that can put it in the endzone consistently on the kickoff. I will never forget our horrible kick coverage last year. I'd rather have that than one that can make fieldgoals if i had to choose.

lexsooner
1/9/2010, 03:26 PM
Any word on whether OU is going to offer Faulkner?

oudavid1
1/9/2010, 05:03 PM
We only have 1 spot left and we already have John Cullen offered, i doubt it

gaylordfan1
1/9/2010, 07:43 PM
I just want a kicker that can put it in the endzone consistently on the kickoff. I will never forget our horrible kick coverage last year. I'd rather have that than one that can make fieldgoals if i had to choose.

Really? If I read this correctly you would rather have a kicker that kicks it into the endzone everytime than a kicker that can make FG's? Wow, how many teams have a kicker that boots it into the endzone every kickoff? Now, how many teams have a clutch kicker that can make everything inside 40 yards. I would place my bets on the last scenario. Hell, I would take a kicker that could make everything inside the 30 yard line. Point is that with good coverage it doesn't really matter if its booted into the endzone.... they can still return it out of the endzone. Now, how many games would we have won or had a better chance of winning if we had a FG kicker?

Collier11
1/9/2010, 07:47 PM
Frag has a boner, all you need to know

misplacedsooner
1/9/2010, 08:40 PM
our kick coverage and special teams were a ton better this past year than the year before so i think we are fine there. id much rather have a consistent kicker of the field goal sort.

BoomerSooner88
1/11/2010, 03:15 PM
Well it looks like Jeffcoat wont visit Florida after all, most likely due to their recent commitment from Ronald Powell. With this mess going on at SUC right now, I would say that it will come down to OU and UT.

Jackson Jeffcoat will not make official visit to Florida this weekend
Five-star defensive end Jackson Jeffcoat (Plano, Texas/West) has canceled his previously scheduled official visit to Florida for Jan. 15th, ESPN's Gerry Hamilton reports.

oudavid1
1/11/2010, 04:13 PM
what about this former USC commit Grimble? #1 TE overall....does anyone know if were gonna go after him?

jonclarkx
1/11/2010, 04:13 PM
"Scouts, Inc.'s No. 1 overall recruit in this class, DE Jackson Jeffcoat, may have taken Florida and USC off his list of potential destinations.

He canceled a trip to Florida and appeared to be disappointed by not only Pete Carroll's decision to leave USC, but the apparent promise Carroll made to recruits that he would stay.

ESPN affiliate Inside Texas reported this, and since Texas is also a contender in the Jeffcoat sweepstakes, he may have been swayed. Still, he told the website regarding Carroll, "He might have been thinking about it, he might have not, but all of the guys who were looking at SC are a little upset. He told us he was staying."

Texas and USC were seen as the top two schools for Jeffcoat, and Oklahoma is also in the mix, as if Houston where his dad is a coach. He is scheduled to visit Oklahoma later this month, but his family already knows the school because Jeffcoat's twin sister is committed to play basketball there.

So for Jeffcoat, it may come down to Texas and Oklahoma, with the Longhorns having the slight edge on the home stretch."

- According to ESPN Insider Rumors

Let's hope his twin sister helps pull him to OU.

OU44life
1/11/2010, 04:14 PM
The No. 1 ranked prospect in the ESPNU 150, Jackson Jeffcoat (Plano, Texas/West), will not be making his previously-schedule official visit to Florida this weekend, all but ending the Gators' chances of landing the five-star recruit. However, he is still scheduled to make his Jan. 22 visit to Oklahoma.

Excellent!

Salt City Sooner
1/14/2010, 05:22 PM
I forgot about another guy as well. Geneo Grissom is strongly considering us after the mess at Kansas. He visited us and liked what he saw here, so he could be another defensive end who could be getting a schollie.
GG eliminates LSU, down to OU/KU (warning: severe "Oh Geneo, PLEASE come to KU & be our Savior instead of just being another log on the fire" slant)

http://www.hutchnews.com/Sports/grissomvj

BoomerSooner88
1/15/2010, 01:52 AM
who would you rather have... jeffcoat or grissom? i'd take jeffcoat...

OU44life
1/15/2010, 08:50 AM
who would you rather have... jeffcoat or grissom? i'd take jeffcoat...

I'll second that. Jeffcoat 4sure.

Desert Sapper
1/15/2010, 10:57 AM
what do we know about grissom? We've heard a ton about jeffcoat, but this is the first I've really heard about grissom. He must be pretty fast rising to get this kind of attention.

BoomerSooner88
1/15/2010, 02:39 PM
Scouts Grade77

Hometown Hutchinson, KS
High School Hutchinson Senior High School
Position rank DE # 70
Height 6'4"
Weight 240 lbs.

I got this off of ESPN.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=82946&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d829 46%26season%3d2010

BoomerSooner88
1/15/2010, 02:45 PM
found some more info on Grissom from Scout.com

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3752553

gaylordfan1
1/17/2010, 03:37 AM
Does anyone know about a ND recruit decommiting and comming to see us next weekend named Ego Ferfuson. Someone may have talked about him before.... I don't recall.

LINKhttp://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-J.R.-Ferguson-84259

gaylordfan1
1/17/2010, 03:47 AM
Ego Ferguson

Frozen Sooner
1/17/2010, 04:08 AM
Yes. There is some noise about Ego Ferguson. Beyond that, I don't have any knowledge.

jdsooner
1/17/2010, 10:30 AM
From the Tulsa World:

Signing day countdown
Oklahoma has 28 verbal commitments (five will enroll early and thus count against last year's total) and hopes to sign at least one more.

Atop the wish list is DE Jackson Jeffcoat, whose dad, former Dallas Cowboys DE Jim Jeffcoat, is a possible replacement for Chris Wilson as the DEs coach. OT Seantrel Henderson would be welcome, but seems a long shot.

Juco OT John Cullen is still a priority, but with all that's happened at USC/Tennessee, coaches are scrambling to repave late inroads. Former Vols commit Kenbrell Thompkins, a juco WR, is interested in OU, but the Sooners may be full at the position.

As the final contact period began on Friday, DE Geneo Grissom, a Scout.com four-star prospect from Hutchinson, Kan., was the Sooners' only visitor this weekend, according to Scout.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100117_92_B4_hOUREC971621

Desert Sapper
1/17/2010, 05:58 PM
So from this I gather that we are just as confused as every other school not named USC with this weird falling out of coaches and what not.

I just hope we sort it out before signing day. We need to shore up both lines, if nothing else.

BoomerSooner88
1/17/2010, 06:00 PM
Ferguson canceled his visit to Norman, so cross him off the list... were solid at DT this class anyways...

Collier11
1/17/2010, 06:06 PM
Just guessing here but I think we want Porter, Cullen, Jeffcoat and the tight end from Vegas...past that I think we are done?

SCxxSOONER
1/17/2010, 09:39 PM
i hope we get the OK kid porter or jeffcoat just sayin