PDA

View Full Version : *Program alert* OU QB recruit Blake Bell's team plays on ESPNU tonight

OU-HSV
10/9/2009, 04:16 PM
In case you're home tonight and want to watch some football and check out a future Sooner....
Sooner verbal commit Blake Bell will be playing on t.v. tonight (ESPNU) at 7 p.m. His team Bishop Carrol Catholic (Kansas) takes on Kapaun Mount Carmel (Kansas).

I saw this scroll on ESPN's bottom line a bit ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

(I saw that Salt City Sooner posted this in the recruiting forum as well under Blake Bell's thread....but I know a lot of people don't go into the recruiting threads, so thought I'd cover it here too.)

sooner94
10/9/2009, 04:42 PM
Dude, thanks for posting this.

I remember catching a Landry Jones game a couple of years ago when he was a senior in HS. Nice to watch the incoming talent.

CK Sooner
10/9/2009, 04:49 PM
But it is 6:00 CT, right?

OU-HSV
10/9/2009, 05:07 PM
But it is 6:00 CT, right?

No, 7 central from what my Dish Network guide says

okiewaker
10/9/2009, 05:12 PM
As much as I pay for cable you would think I get that station.:mad:

VA Sooner
10/9/2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the post, dude. It's a quiet Friday night here... new baby this morning and I've got some time to kill in between feedings.

Life is good!

Heard this kid is a super stud.

OU-HSV
10/9/2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the post, dude. It's a quiet Friday night here... new baby this morning and I've got some time to kill in between feedings.

Life is good!

Heard this kid is a super stud.

You/your wife had a baby today? Congrats.
My wife is pregnant w/our second. Life will be much busier at my household next year.

sooner59
10/9/2009, 08:19 PM
He has good mobility and a nice arm. His o-line has him running for his life, though. Hmm....

SoonerLB
10/9/2009, 09:14 PM
Just a little side note to the game, a friend of mine is one of the zebras in this game, and he is a devout OU fan. The only time you see him without some form of OU clothing on is when he is in his zebra costume. He owns more OU wear than anyone I know, and his house is full of OU goodies too.
He visits here some, but never posts that I know of, great guy and a great OU fan too! :)

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2009, 09:48 PM
Er, did I just see a field turf company promoting their product with an image of Blake Bell?

That concerns me...

unbiasedtruth
10/9/2009, 10:30 PM
Er, did I just see a field turf company promoting their product with an image of Blake Bell?

That concerns me...

why? he is still a high school player isn't he? ncaa rules concerning the endorsement, or use of a payer's likeness in the promotion of products only applies to college athletes. I dont think the National Communists Against Athletes can tell a high school player what he can and cannot do while still playing high school ball and has not signed a LOI....

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2009, 11:01 PM
why? he is still a high school player isn't he? ncaa rules concerning the endorsement, or use of a payer's likeness in the promotion of products only applies to college athletes. I dont think the National Communists Against Athletes can tell a high school player what he can and cannot do while still playing high school ball and has not signed a LOI....

I think you have a misunderstanding of the rules concerning amateurism. Doesn't matter if he's an enrolled student or not, if they determine that his endorsement of a product compromises his amateur status then he's ineligible for future competition. See Mike Balogun.

That being said, I'm sure that Bishop Carroll researched this before agreeing to the ad. It's entirely possible that it was an actor in the #10 jersey, which would make the whole thing moot.

unbiasedtruth
10/9/2009, 11:47 PM
Mike Balogun is totally different, he was playing semi pro ball, means he was receiving a paycheck for his services. Was he playing semipro ball after his 21st birthday, who knows, NCAA says yes.

Back to the rules concerning amateurism, it seems to me you are more concerned Blake Bell was paid for his endorsement. A student athlete can endorse any product though his school as long as there is no compensation for said endorsement to the individual player, just the school. Think how many schools have a contract with Nike, and Nike's swoosh is on the uniform. How are they, the players allowed to play with this endorsement on their uniform? The school received the "rewards" for the endorsement not the individual players...

KingWKB
10/10/2009, 12:29 AM
Didn't get to watch him play... Can I get an updated? How'd he look?

OKC-SLC
10/10/2009, 12:31 AM
I seem to remember Colt McCoy doing a commercial for his family's business when he was a high schooler. If I'm remembering/knowing the facts correctly, it must be ok since he doesn't go to USC.

OU-HSV
10/10/2009, 12:33 AM
I seem to remember Colt McCoy doing a commercial for his family's business when he was a high schooler. If I'm remembering/knowing the facts correctly, it must be ok since he doesn't go to USC.

Also, don't Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley run a (H.F.O.) Homosexual Fishing Organization ad each weekend on ESPN?? Seems they run that clip quite a bit

OKC-SLC
10/10/2009, 12:36 AM
I'm not sure of the ad, but I'm quite sure those roommates pack the fudge regularly.

OU-HSV
10/10/2009, 12:43 AM
I'm not sure of the ad, but I'm quite sure those roommates pack the fudge regularly.

That's probably why they have such a "good connection" on the field, as the announcers always say

prrriiide
10/10/2009, 02:04 AM
Mike Balogun is totally different, he was playing semi pro ball, means he was receiving a paycheck for his services.

Balogun didn't get paid Jack Schidt. It costs players in that league to play. Typically there is a facility fee per-practice (the number I heard was $5 per practice session. No fee, you go home.) They buy their own equipment (pads & helmets). They have to pay an officiating fee per game. The only thing the teams would pay for is reimbursement for meals and travel expenses for road games. I don't think they even paid for lodging if they had to stay overnight.

There aren't any W-2s floatin' around from players in that league.

Where the NCAA has a burr up their arse (a BS one) is that a player is not allowed to play in any organized league after their 21st B-day (even though Balogun has a fist full of affidavits to say he didn't). The NCAA could rule that he was ineligible for playing flag football in a local Methodist league after age 21 if they wanted.

JLEW1818
10/10/2009, 05:49 AM
How did he look?!

OU-HSV
10/10/2009, 07:50 AM
How did he look?!

He looked decent. Had some throws that were off target, had some off target throws that got caught. Had some accurate throws get dropped. Think he had like 2 ints, 3 rushing tds, 1 or 2 pass tds. The main thing I noticed is he had pressure on him often, and when the play broke down if he had to run, he did. I think with Division I college players around him, he'll be good. I'll see if I can find some official stats somewhere....

SoonerLB
10/10/2009, 08:34 AM
One of the inteceptions was a tipped ball. He was not real impressive in the first half, but stepped it up and brought his team from behind in the second half to win. He showed why he is so highly rated by taking control I thought.
With his dad and uncle being former pros, he will be ready for the future, and as it looks now, I do believe he will be a good one!

stoopified
10/10/2009, 09:42 AM
Am I the only one who saw one of the INTERCEPTIONS skip ff the groundinto the defenders hands?The kid has talent but is raw.Watching him run is a trip,he looks awkward but gains yards.

VA Sooner
10/10/2009, 10:31 AM
You/your wife had a baby today? Congrats.
My wife is pregnant w/our second. Life will be much busier at my household next year.

Our third. Working on getting the first two to be die-hard Sooner fans. Even brought up Boomer as a first name for our new daughter... wife didn't go for it. Still working on it. :D