PDA

View Full Version : Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2009, 05:30 AM
At first, I thought this had to be a joke but it isn't. He won.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_on_re_eu/eu_nobel_peace

By KARL RITTER and MATT MOORE, Associated Press Writers – 3 mins ago
OSLO – President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.
The stunning choice made Obama the third sitting U.S. president to win the Nobel Peace Prize and shocked Nobel observers because Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline. Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.
Speculation had focused on Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, a Colombian senator and a Chinese dissident, along with an Afghan woman's rights activist.
The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage. The plaudit appeared to be a slap at President George W. Bush from a committee that harshly criticized Obama's predecessor for resorting to largely unilateral military action in the wake of the Sept. 11 terror attacks.
Rather than recognizing concrete achievement, the 2009 prize appeared intended to support initiatives that have yet to bear fruit: reducing the world stock of nuclear arms, easing American conflicts with Muslim nations and strengthening the U.S. role in combating climate change.
"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," Thorbjoern Jagland, chairman of the Nobel Committee said. "In the past year Obama has been a key person for important initiatives in the U.N. for nuclear disarmament and to set a completely new agenda for the Muslim world and East-West relations."
He added that the committee endorsed "Obama's appeal that 'Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges.'"
President Theodore Roosevelt won the award in 1906 and President Woodrow Wilson won in 1919.
The committee chairman said after awarding the 2002 prize to former Democratic President Jimmy Carter, for his mediation in international conflicts, that it should be seen as a "kick in the leg" to the Bush administration's hard line in the buildup to the Iraq war.
Five years later, the committee honored Bush's adversary in the 2000 presidential election, Al Gore, for his campaign to raise awareness about global warming.
The Nobel committee received a record 205 nominations for this year's prize though it was not immediately apparent who nominated Obama.
"The exciting and important thing about this prize is that it's given too someone ... who has the power to contribute to peace," Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said.
Nominators include former laureates; current and former members of the committee and their staff; members of national governments and legislatures; university professors of law, theology, social sciences, history and philosophy; leaders of peace research and foreign affairs institutes; and members of international courts of law.
The Nelson Mandela Foundation welcomed the award on behalf of its founder Nelson Mandela, who shared the 1993 Peace Prize with then-South African President F.W. DeKlerk for their efforts at ending years of apartheid and laying the groundwork for a democratic country.
"We trust that this award will strengthen his commitment, as the leader of the most powerful nation in the world, to continue promoting peace and the eradication of poverty," the foundation said.
In his 1895 will, Alfred Nobel stipulated that the peace prize should go "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses."
Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which are awarded by Swedish institutions, he said the peace prize should be given out by a five-member committee elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Sweden and Norway were united under the same crown at the time of Nobel's death.
The committee has taken a wide interpretation of Nobel's guidelines, expanding the prize beyond peace mediation to include efforts to combat poverty, disease and climate change.
___
Associated Press Writer Ian MacDougall contributed to this report.

MrJimBeam
10/9/2009, 05:33 AM
So they're handing out Nobel Peace Prizes for potential instead of results?

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2009, 05:34 AM
So they're handing out Nobel Peace Prizes for potential instead of results?

Evidently. He's accomplished nothing that I understand to be requirements for being awarded the Peace Prize, but you see he says all the right things and he's trying really really hard.

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2009, 05:37 AM
I love that he won the Peace Prize on the same day he authorized the bombing of the moon. :D

Sooner in Tampa
10/9/2009, 05:37 AM
And the Legend grows...

Turd_Ferguson
10/9/2009, 05:39 AM
It was given to him the same reason the presidency was given to him.

Okla-homey
10/9/2009, 05:39 AM
Historic!

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2009, 05:43 AM
It always is.

MrJimBeam
10/9/2009, 07:05 AM
So the President was nominated 2 weeks after he took office? Feb 1st is the deadline for nominations. The Peace Prize Committee has officially cheapened the award to rank right there with Man of The Year at the Portland, Oregon Rotary Club.

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2009, 07:13 AM
So the President was nominated 2 weeks after he took office? Feb 1st is the deadline for nominations. The Peace Prize Committee has officially cheapened the award to rank right there with Man of The Year at the Portland, Oregon Rotary Club.

Considering who they've been awarding the Peace Prize to lately, I'd be more honored to be honored by the Rotary Club.

Harry Beanbag
10/9/2009, 07:14 AM
The Peace Prize Committee has officially cheapened the award to rank right there with Man of The Year at the Portland, Oregon Rotary Club.

You mean it wasn't already?

batonrougesooner
10/9/2009, 07:16 AM
I thought the credibility of the award was pretty well destroyed after Carter and Gore won it. I guess they were just wanting to make sure...

Harry Beanbag
10/9/2009, 07:18 AM
I thought the credibility of the award was pretty well destroyed after Carter and Gore won it. I guess they were just wanting to make sure...

Carter and Gore won it after Yassir Arafat and Kofi Annan won. It's been a joke for many years now.

batonrougesooner
10/9/2009, 07:20 AM
True. Forgot about Yassir Arafat.

OKLA21FAN
10/9/2009, 07:46 AM
Sad that a decision made by a committee will only serve to direct more anger towards President Obama. :gary:

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2009, 08:22 AM
I suspect he'll turn down the prize in some way and then be applauded for his magnanimity.

Okla-homey
10/9/2009, 08:27 AM
I suspect he'll turn down the prize in some way and then be applauded for his magnanimity.

Oh no, he won't turn it down.

The man is totally about self-promotion and agrandizement. In fact, he probably refers more often to himself personally in speeches than any president in history.

Veritas
10/9/2009, 08:28 AM
What a complete ****ing joke. I didn't agree with Al Gore's award, but at least he'd actually DONE something.

Sheesh. Last night I watch John Stewart mock Obama for having done nothing. What a joke.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/9/2009, 08:37 AM
Anti Christ.

The Nobel prize committee just made themselves and the award irrelevant and meaningless. Of Course, Jimmy Carter pipes up. :rolleyes:

iwannabelikesam
10/9/2009, 08:41 AM
Of course he won it, if he hadn't it would be pretty obvious it was because the Nobel committee was racist.

SicEmBaylor
10/9/2009, 08:42 AM
Oh no, he won't turn it down.

The man is totally about self-promotion and agrandizement. In fact, he probably refers more often to himself personally in speeches than any president in history.

There are a lot of political implications to this. If I were Axelrod, I'd advise graciously declining the prize. That way he gets the credit for having won the thing while avoiding becoming a caricature of himself.

Winning this hurts him a lot more than it helps. The smart thing would be to decline because this won't play well here or around the world.

1890MilesToNorman
10/9/2009, 08:44 AM
Anti Christ.

The Nobel prize committee just made themselves and the award irrelevant and meaningless. Of Course, Jimmy Carter pipes up. :rolleyes:

Not so fast my friend, he needs to recover from a mortal wound before we know for sure! :P

homerSimpsonsBrain
10/9/2009, 09:25 AM
He got the award for not being GWB. Pretty pathetic that they (nobel guys) would do that. Regardless of what Homey thinks, if Obama has a lick of political sense, he'll find a way to turn this down.

JohnnyMack
10/9/2009, 09:28 AM
Ya know what would be awesome? If he bombed Iran this weekend! :D

def_lazer_fc
10/9/2009, 09:30 AM
he speaks at 11 so we will see what he does with it. i, too, think this is undeserved but im not going to get all pissy or lose any sleep because of it. its not obamas fault that some committee gave this award to him.

cant wait to see what tuba or rush have to say about this travesty.

Lott's Bandana
10/9/2009, 09:31 AM
My money was on Tebow.

OKLA21FAN
10/9/2009, 09:44 AM
"Yo, Barack, I'm happy for you, Imma let you finish, but TIM TEBOW is the greatest Peace advocate of all time...." :pop:

StoopTroup
10/9/2009, 09:49 AM

Now I'm gonna have to stay up all weekend in hopeful anticipation...thanks Johnny.

JohnnyMack
10/9/2009, 09:52 AM
Now I'm gonna have to stay up all weekend in hopeful anticipation...thanks Johnny.

Just sit back, eat a Big Mac and watch the foozball like the rest of us. :D

soonerinkaty
10/9/2009, 09:58 AM
This BS was on a daggum pop quiz in my 8 AM science class. Did i get it right? Hellz no.

jaux
10/9/2009, 10:21 AM

That would be great. Afterward, send a video to all the Mid East with Obama as Jules in Pulp Fiction...Brett can be played by Amabigjerkoff

NormanPride
10/9/2009, 10:22 AM
Why the hell was a current events question on a Science pop quiz? Tell your teacher to stuff it and teach science.

JohnnyMack
10/9/2009, 10:26 AM
That would be great. Afterward, send a video to all the Mid East with Obama as Jules in Pulp Fiction...Brett can be played by Amabigjeroff

ecc0nbg9m-8

soonerinkaty
10/9/2009, 10:31 AM
Why the hell was a current events question on a Science pop quiz? Tell your teacher to stuff it and teach science.

yeah it was wicked retahted

Sooner_Havok
10/9/2009, 10:38 AM

I don't know, I had a professor once that put stuff like his birthday and his 2 ex-wives name on a final.

He got pissed one day that people were taking advantage of his attendance policy (He didn't have one) so when he noticed about ten people had missed the class for about 2 weeks, he said "Get out a piece of paper, you can use this information on your final." He then gave us the name of his ex-wives and his birthday. Told all of us there that day not to say anything to those that never came to class. The day of the final, he said if you had the piece of paper he said you could uses, to get it out. Those ten people looked confused as hell.

Funny thing was, it was an essay test. He went in and added three fill in the blank questions. Funny **** man.

TUSooner
10/9/2009, 10:48 AM
The Nobel Peace Prize is now officially meaningless. I haven't posted in a long while, but some of you might recall that I do not join in the usual Obama-bashing frenzy that goes on here, but this bad joke totally discredits the Nobel committee. Obama hasn't done $#!+ !! And he had done even less when the nominations went in !!
THIS AWARD IS ABSURD !! He should refuse it.

EDIT: In other words, I have nothing to add to the previous posts. :O

TUSooner
10/9/2009, 10:52 AM
My money was on Tebow.

Brilliant. This thread may now be closed. :D

bent rider
10/9/2009, 10:52 AM
They were kind of happy about it at CNN...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0JD8pOgD1s

Dio
10/9/2009, 11:47 AM
Bammer's eleventy billion National Championships think this is a joke.

OULenexaman
10/9/2009, 12:53 PM
Should President Obama have won the Nobel Peace Prize?
Yes 49% 5311
No 51% 5540
Total Votes: 10851

The CNN poll just started and already 49% of the people are still idiots...

soonerinabilene
10/9/2009, 01:04 PM
he did unify the world with his views on kanye...

crawfish
10/9/2009, 01:18 PM
Don't forget...he brought a white cop and black professor together for beers.

C&CDean
10/9/2009, 01:20 PM
Wow. A Mr. Crawford sighting.

BermudaSooner
10/9/2009, 01:25 PM

Johnny, you've touched on it. They awarded him this so that he CAN'T bomb Iran--or send more troops into Afghanistan. Really annoying to see Europe playing around in US politics like this.

I Am Right
10/9/2009, 02:07 PM
I would like to take this forum to accounce that I, I Am Right, has just won the Nobel Peace Prize. Clap, Clap, Clap, I am so Proud and Deeply Humbled.

Whet
10/9/2009, 02:23 PM
I believe the US Mint is to release it's Obama $1 coin next week!

TopDawg
10/9/2009, 02:45 PM
Knowing little or nothing about the other nominees, I'm shocked that he won it. But it's not as if he's done "nothing" as some people are claiming.

Alfred Nobel’s will states that the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." In other words, the recipient should have worked toward creating a feeling of brotherhood between nations, toward lessening of armed forces and to promote peace-minded meetings.

Hasn't Obama done some of those things? I have a hard time believing he has done the most or the best work in all of those regards, but I can see how he might've done the most or the best work in some of those regards. It's not as if he hasn't done anything even remotely related to the prize's criteria.

Condescending Sooner
10/9/2009, 03:02 PM
Knowing little or nothing about the other nominees, I'm shocked that he won it. But it's not as if he's done "nothing" as some people are claiming.

Alfred Nobel’s will states that the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." In other words, the recipient should have worked toward creating a feeling of brotherhood between nations, toward lessening of armed forces and to promote peace-minded meetings.

Hasn't Obama done some of those things? I have a hard time believing he has done the most or the best work in all of those regards, but I can see how he might've done the most or the best work in some of those regards. It's not as if he hasn't done anything even remotely related to the prize's criteria.
You are kidding, right? He had been in office two weeks when the nominations were due, and as of yet had done nothing listed above.

TopDawg
10/9/2009, 03:12 PM
I do think it's weird that he was nominated that soon. And, like I said, I'm shocked he won it.

I just don't agree that he's done nothing to deserve it as some people are claiming. Look at the criteria. He has done some of those things.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2009, 03:14 PM
In other news, the Associated Press has decided to designate the New York Yankees as this year's world champions.

Next year's Nobel Peace Prize? Oprah. Mark it down.

OULenexaman
10/9/2009, 03:15 PM
Dawg has bumped his head....

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2009, 03:20 PM
TopDawg, can we spell it out any more clearly for you? He was nominated in FEBRUARY. (It's the month after January.)

Ronald Reagan was far more deserving than Obama, but I don't think he deserved one.

I Am Right
10/9/2009, 03:29 PM

11 days!

Soonersince57
10/9/2009, 03:30 PM
He won it over an Afghan woman fighting for more rights in her country, Iranian dissidents, etc. So yeah, he's much more deserving. :(

I Am Right
10/9/2009, 03:35 PM
Kim Jong il just won his 29th Nobel Peace Prize.

crimsonrules
10/9/2009, 03:49 PM
Bammer's eleventy billion National Championships think this is a joke.

LOL, even as a Bama fan I found this funny.

1890MilesToNorman
10/9/2009, 03:53 PM
Obama

"I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments but rather an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations," he said in the White House Rose Garden."

I don't think he read the Arab response?

C&CDean
10/9/2009, 04:01 PM
I do think it's weird that he was nominated that soon. And, like I said, I'm shocked he won it.

I just don't agree that he's done nothing to deserve it as some people are claiming. Look at the criteria. He has done some of those things.

Sucking the **** and licking the boot of every evil dictator he's met, and apologizing for our arrogance to Europe for saving their asses multiple times pretty much doesn't = working to build fraternity blah blah blah in my mind. And that is ALL he has done in regards to the criteria for this award. And, as mentioned by many, he hadn't started his dick sucking/boot licking/apologist for American evil campaign yet when he was nominated.

I Am Right
10/9/2009, 04:01 PM
I bet Kenye will not interrupt his acceptance speech.

I Am Right
10/9/2009, 04:07 PM
In other news Barack Hussien Obama has just been awarded the AL & NL Cy Young Award.

85Sooner
10/9/2009, 04:12 PM
Wonder what awad he will win next? The Darwin????????????

TopDawg
10/9/2009, 04:23 PM
TopDawg, can we spell it out any more clearly for you? He was nominated in FEBRUARY. (It's the month after January.)

Ronald Reagan was far more deserving than Obama, but I don't think he deserved one.

Well I'm assuming that the committee takes into consideration the things done through yesterday, not simply through the nomination day. As the chairman said “We are not awarding the prize for what may happen in the future, but for what he has done in the previous year."

If you think that's incorrect, tell me. If you think they shouldn't, fine. I've got no problem with that.

And even if you think he's not the most deserving candidate, fine. I've got not problem with that. Like I said, I was shocked.

I just don't agree with the people who say he's done nothing to deserve getting the award. The criteria is pretty broad and he has done some of those things.

I Am Right
10/9/2009, 04:24 PM
Well I'm assuming that the committee takes into consideration the things done through yesterday, not simply through the nomination day. As the chairman said “We are not awarding the prize for what may happen in the future, but for what he has done in the previous year."

If you think that's incorrect, tell me. If you think they shouldn't, fine. I've got no problem with that.

And even if you think he's not the most deserving candidate, fine. I've got not problem with that. Like I said, I was shocked.

I just don't agree with the people who say he's done nothing to deserve getting the award. The criteria is pretty broad and he has done some of those things.

11 days!

Okla-homey
10/9/2009, 04:26 PM
For the record, the Nobel Peace Prize has now offically jumped the shark.

TopDawg
10/9/2009, 04:27 PM
Sucking the **** and licking the boot of every evil dictator he's met, and apologizing for our arrogance to Europe for saving their asses multiple times pretty much doesn't = working to build fraternity blah blah blah in my mind. And that is ALL he has done in regards to the criteria for this award. And, as mentioned by many, he hadn't started his dick sucking/boot licking/apologist for American evil campaign yet when he was nominated.

Okay.

Okla-homey
10/9/2009, 04:32 PM
I rise before my wife does. When my review of innerweb morning news revealed His Majesty had been given the thing, I mentioned same to my wife. Her response: "For what?"

Precisely.

okiewaker
10/9/2009, 04:33 PM
The award comes with a $1.4mil prize. He is going to donate it to charitites.

TopDawg
10/9/2009, 04:40 PM
I rise before my wife does. When my review of innerweb morning news revealed His Majesty had been given the thing, I mentioned same to my wife. Her response: "For what?"

Precisely.

That was my response too. Like I said, I was shocked.

After looking at the criteria, though, I think I can see what they're getting at. Like a lot of you, I don't see how he can be the most deserving based on what he's done, so I don't agree with their decision...but I think I can understand what they're getting at.

olevetonahill
10/9/2009, 04:43 PM
It was all those anonymous 100 dollar internet Donations

Oh wait

TopDawg
10/9/2009, 04:45 PM
My money was on Tebow.

This is still the best post in this thread.

GottaHavePride
10/9/2009, 04:46 PM
Heh. If they gave me $1.4 million I'd say "screw you guys, I'm gonna go buy a McLaren SLR. Then I'm gonna crash it into something. Then I'm gonna buy another one."

Which means I will NEVER win a Nobel Peace Prize. :D

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2009, 05:18 PM
After looking at the criteria, though, I think I can see what they're getting at. Like a lot of you, I don't see how he can be the most deserving based on what he's done, so I don't agree with their decision...but I think I can understand what they're getting at.

So what are they getting at?

Other than make grandiose gestures, what has he accomplished that would make any reasonable Nobel Committee sit up and take notice?

If Obama was white, does he win the award? Truthfully?

47straight
10/9/2009, 05:20 PM
If Obama was white, does he win the award? Truthfully?

Yes. See Jimmah Carter.

GottaHavePride
10/9/2009, 05:34 PM
So what are they getting at?

Other than make grandiose gestures, what has he accomplished that would make any reasonable Nobel Committee sit up and take notice?

Um, maybe - just maybe - actually talking to other world leaders and attempting to cooperate with them instead of just saying "**** all you foreigners, do things America's way or we take our ball and go home" to them.

85Sooner
10/9/2009, 05:54 PM
The award comes with a $1.4mil prize. He is going to donate it to charitites.

Yeah, ACORN is gonna need some defense funding.

walkoffsooner
10/9/2009, 06:19 PM
who else was nominated?

Octavian
10/9/2009, 06:41 PM
for some reason this just isn't as surprising as it should be...it's really not that far-fetched if you put it in context. if you consider:

a.) OU's atrocious luck in the first month of the football season
b.) President Awesome's amazing awesomeness

.......and then asked if we'd wake up today hearing about

a.) our quarterback as the starter
b.) our Precious as the Peace Prize Winner

I might have actually chosen b. Turns out...we get both. :D Ahh...good day.

And really, he's like the most totally awesome guy of all time.

Ever.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2009, 06:42 PM
Yes. See Jimmah Carter.

Was Jimmah nominated only 11 days after taking office?

Like him or not, I can at least understand why Jimmah was nominated. I don't think he deserved it, but at least he had some items on his resume.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2009, 06:44 PM
Um, maybe - just maybe - actually talking to other world leaders and attempting to cooperate with them instead of just saying "**** all you foreigners, do things America's way or we take our ball and go home" to them.

All this within 11 days of taking office. Wow.

Curly Bill
10/9/2009, 06:48 PM
The nominating committee was obviously psychic -- they just knew Brack was going to be full of awesomeness. :rolleyes: ;)

okiewaker
10/9/2009, 06:51 PM
He is the anointed one^^^^^^^

Okla-homey
10/9/2009, 07:19 PM
Okay, I'm calmed down now. I've had my Friday work-out and now, a few beers.

Here's what really twists me off about this.

This gentle, brilliant, determined but sweet soul, who led almost a billion people from under their colonial masters to nationhood, who brought the world's mightiest empire to its knees peacefully, through the power of reason and civil disobedience, this great human being who inspired our own Rev. King to lead his people peacefully to freedom and to enjoy their full rights as citizens, this source of inspiration for every generation for the rest of human history, this man who called himself all at once a Christian, Muslim and Hindu --- was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize five times. The last was a posthumous nomination following his assasination.

And yet, Ghandi was never awarded a Nobel Peace Prize.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9559/ghandi1024x768.jpg

But this do-nothing gasbag currently occupying the Executive Mansion was awarded one for the period of his first month in office.

Brother.

LosAngelesSooner
10/9/2009, 07:21 PM
It's a good sign, and I'm not surprised considering the outpouring of good will that President Obama has earned us globally, but it is undeserved at this point and entirely premature.

Let the guy earn it first.

stoopified
10/9/2009, 07:22 PM
Perfect example of rewarding rhetoric over substance.

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2009, 08:19 PM
It's a good sign, and I'm not surprised considering the outpouring of good will that President Obama has earned us globally

So do you have tickets to the Chicago Olympics?

lexsooner
10/9/2009, 09:21 PM

But as long as your family is prosperous and safe, you are ok with the POUS, right? Remember, you set this low bar criteria last year with W when you stated you were ok with him as POUS as long as he met this critera, back when his public approval figures were around the winning percentage of OSU v. OU. So what's the problem now? Did terrorists attack and all of your family is laid off and on public assistance? To say anything otherwise would be hypocritical. Unless you will just admit you are as partisan and biased as the next person.

OULenexaman
10/9/2009, 09:33 PM
Homey you rock...that one calls for another beer.....has Tuba and Rush been captured by the watchdogs?? I still can't believe they are not in this thread.

jdsooner
10/9/2009, 10:01 PM
I just can't believe that they failed to give it to Dick Cheney!

Curly Bill
10/9/2009, 10:18 PM
I just can't believe that they failed to give it to Dick Cheney!

Eurotrash Norwegians only like pansy-a**ed liberal donks.

Pay tention! ;)

olevetonahill
10/9/2009, 10:39 PM
Eurotrash Norwegians only like pansy-a**ed liberal donks.

Pay tention! ;)

Aint that da truf

Curly Bill
10/9/2009, 10:41 PM
Aint that da truf

I am if nothing else a speaker of the truf. ;)

SCOUT
10/9/2009, 10:48 PM
I would like to nominate Zach Galifinakis for the best actor academy award. I think he is going to do a really great movie this next year and everyone will see that he is a great actor. He is going to deserve it.

OKC-SLC
10/10/2009, 12:17 AM
Okay, I'm calmed down now. I've had my Friday work-out and now, a few beers.

Here's what really twists me off about this.

This gentle, brilliant, determined but sweet soul, who led almost a billion people from under their colonial masters to nationhood, who brought the world's mightiest empire to its knees peacefully, through the power of reason and civil disobedience, this great human being who inspired our own Rev. King to lead his people peacefully to freedom and to enjoy their full rights as citizens, this source of inspiration for every generation for the rest of human history, this man who called himself all at once a Christian, Muslim and Hindu --- was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize five times. The last was a posthumous nomination following his assasination.

And yet, Ghandi was never awarded a Nobel Peace Prize.

But this do-nothing gasbag currently occupying the Executive Mansion was awarded one for the period of his first month in office.

Brother.

It's so incredibly out of line, this love affair with BHO, that I can't imagine anything other than him disappointing his supporters, his voters, and this world with his failure to deliver what everyone thought was a given.

Un. be. liev. a. ble.

olevetonahill
10/10/2009, 12:29 AM
Makes me think of a gator QB :rolleyes:

OU-HSV
10/10/2009, 12:52 AM
I threw up in my mouth today when I heard this news

def_lazer_fc
10/10/2009, 06:45 AM
at the end of the day, who the **** really cares. really.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/10/2009, 10:18 AM
What's funny is he's won this award while basically maintaining the Bush policies that the Euro-trash left so reviled.

All troops out of Iraq in 16 months? No
Escalation of war in Afghanistan? Yes
Close down Guantanamo? OK, he says he going to do this while at the sametime maintaining like prisons in Afghanistan and refusing these guys civilian trials like the lefties so railed for when Bush was in office.

But he talks purdy and kisses the *** of the Eurotrash left. Let's give him a prize.

I Am Right
10/10/2009, 10:42 AM
Chaney deserves it more than Hussien.

tommieharris91
10/10/2009, 12:09 PM
Makes me think of a gator QB :rolleyes:

Tebow deserved his Heisman. He actually did something to earn it, too.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/10/2009, 12:16 PM
Congratulations, Mr. President.

olevetonahill
10/10/2009, 12:56 PM
Tebow deserved his Heisman. He actually did something to earn it, too.

This is true

Chuck Bao
10/10/2009, 08:55 PM
I find many of the posts in this thread to be quite hilarious. Keep up the good work, fellas!

I also find that the choice was strange and bold and open for criticism, which the Nobel Peace Prize Committee should never shy away from.

In my opinion, the Nobel Peace Prize Committee should be looking to select a recipient that has and can effect a meaningful change in our world. The awarding of the prize itself should effect change, or it is meaningless.

Americans often like to brag that the US president is the most powerful person in the world, right or wrong? If you are thinking like the Nobel Peace Prize Committee, would you not go for all the marbles in putting the pressure of a Nobel Peace laurate on a new US president and commander-in-chief who is engaged in two wars to effect change?

Maybe it is not so weird that Americans are thinking: “me, me, me” in pointing out that President Obama’s has not really accomplished much for “them” in his first 8 months in office given the poor economic environment and misguided policies of previous administrations.

Like it or not, the election of President Obama brought hope to millions, if not cheered by billions in this world. There is hope and that hope shouldn’t be swallowed in US politics as per normal.

Like it or not, the selection of President Obama was meant to be a slap in the face of the previous administration.

I can see criticism in that 1) some Americans hate President Obama and what he stands for, 2) some are going super critical on the Nobel Committee and their attempts to influence a relatively new US president and 3) some people who are just racist.

Like it or not, the Nobel Peace Prize has influence and meaning. I hope that influence continues.

Homey is right in claiming that it is a travesty and severe injustice that the Nobel Peace Prize was never awarded to Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. But, long-standing historic injustices are not a valid reason to discount the current Nobel peace prize recipients and what they stand for.

Get a grip and look at what has been accomplished for the sake of peace since. Just within my region and within my life span, I have seen the Nobel Peace prize awarded to the Dalai Lama, upsetting a suddenly powerful China. Nobel Peace prizes to those two dudes that won the independence of East Timor and against the most populated Muslim country in the world, Indonesia, and for Aung San Suu Kyi and a very brutal totalitarian military regime.

The timing of the nomination is a red herring too. When I was in the Baylor masters degree program, I used to brag that my econometrics professor was nominated twice for the Nobel prize in economics. My bravado was suddenly abruptly ended when someone said that anyone could be nominated. Not everyone can nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, but maybe someone smart enough to post on an internet message board should figure out that nominations and selections are not the same thing.

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2009, 02:01 AM
Americans often like to brag that the US president is the most powerful person in the world, right or wrong? If you are thinking like the Nobel Peace Prize Committee, would you not go for all the marbles in putting the pressure of a Nobel Peace laurate on a new US president and commander-in-chief who is engaged in two wars to effect change?

Then Obama should do the right thing and refuse the prize. The U.S. should go the next step and forbid sitting presidents from accepting the award. (There would be no harm in this, as the Nobel committee can always award the prize to the president after he leaves power.)

Do we want our foreign policy dictated by a committee in Sweden?

Get a grip and look at what has been accomplished for the sake of peace since. Just within my region and within my life span, I have seen the Nobel Peace prize awarded to the Dalai Lama, upsetting a suddenly powerful China. Nobel Peace prizes to those two dudes that won the independence of East Timor and against the most populated Muslim country in the world, Indonesia, and for Aung San Suu Kyi and a very brutal totalitarian military regime.

The Dalai Lama won the Nobel Prize in 1989, over fifty years after being recognized as the Dalai Lama. The others likewise won their prizes AFTER they had performed the acts that brought their attention to the Nobel committee. Obama is the first that I can recall that was nominated for a prize for doing nothing other than being elected.

The timing of the nomination is a red herring too. When I was in the Baylor masters degree program, I used to brag that my econometrics professor was nominated twice for the Nobel prize in economics. My bravado was suddenly abruptly ended when someone said that anyone could be nominated. Not everyone can nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, but maybe someone smart enough to post on an internet message board should figure out that nominations and selections are not the same thing.

I am sure that you are supposed to nominate someone for the prize based on their accomplishments. To nominate someone because you think they might do some great things for peace is pure horse****.

What if Obama attacks Iran? How will the Nobel committee look then?

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 06:49 AM
^^^ THIS is just stupid on about 100 different levels.

And, again, I don't think Obama deserved the prize...but that crap (above) is just dumb.

Leroy Lizard
10/11/2009, 11:06 AM
Okay, answer the question: What if Obama attacks Iran? How will the Nobel committee look then?

C'mon, let's see your answer.

Chuck Bao
10/11/2009, 02:19 PM
Okay, answer the question: What if Obama attacks Iran? How will the Nobel committee look then?

C'mon, let's see your answer.

Seriously, dude, you want to really trash a chance on peace?

No doubt, the awarding of the Nobel Peace prize is meddling and if you ask me they should meddle more.

By the way, who else stands up to China these days? Not the US government, previous administration and current administration.

Okay, the fact that President Obama unexpectly won must sting some of you, I get that.

No one should turn down the award and the recognition. Those of you saying that Obama should decline the award are crazy and delusional in my opinion. Turning down the prize would be tantamount to an extreme statement that the US is power hungry and only out for US interests and **** you rest of the world. 3...2...1...how quickly can you turn a positive into a negative?

While the Nobel peace prize should be a tool for good in this world, it is another thing to think that it is always successful.

The Nobel prize committee has taken risks in the past in trying to promote peace. Yassar Arafat comes to mind.

And, I pray for a period when Americans again dream of positives and peace instead of focusing on conflicts and problems. I guess that is just half empty perception or half full perception.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 03:53 PM

C'mon, let's see your answer.The very simple answer on this is that OBAMA will NEVER attack Iran.

IF there is EVER any military action taken on Iran, it will be a U.N. sanctioned action with China and Russia backing the play, otherwise it simply WON'T happen.

And if you think China and Russia aren't angry with Iran about trying to get Nukes, you've got another thing coming.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 03:56 PM
And, I pray for a period when Americans again dream of positives and peace instead of focusing on conflicts and problems. I guess that is just half empty perception or half full perception.
That will happen when Americans start being AMERICANS first and Dems or Repubs second, third, fourth, etc.

The partisanship going on in our country over the past 20 years is obscene. It started with Clinton and has been doing strong ever since and I blame the neo-Cons and the far Christian right for starting it.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 04:02 PM
That will happen when Americans start being AMERICANS first and Dems or Repubs second, third, fourth, etc.

The partisanship going on in our country over the past 20 years is obscene. It started with Clinton and has been doing strong ever since and I blame the neo-Cons and the far Christian right for starting it.

You started it! :P

...or at least that makes about as much since as you deciding the neo-cons or the Christian right started it.

Chuck Bao
10/11/2009, 05:23 PM
We stand on the shoulders of giants in my opinion. The melting pot of the world produced some extraordinary men and women who stepped up to fight for our ideals against tyrants.

Somehow we now seem to have lost our way and within the hubris is an arrogance that people elsewhere in the world now see as incredibly self-centered.

Who is to blame? I don’t blame neo-cons or the religious right, although they are leading the charge in trying to turn back that which can’t be turned back.

In our nation’s history, we have always had these people and their views of God-given rights. The fact is that global capitalism and immigration which built our great country is coming back to bite us in the ***. It is shaking up perceptions, viewpoints and our livelihoods. There will be a counter-reaction and you can count on it dividing us.

The coming war is economic. Strangely enough, war has always been about economics and our historians kind of missed the boat on that concept.

Americans are so insular that they miss that point, as well. Make no mistake that people outside the US get it. The era of a benevolent US and golden free trade is at an end. It is every man and woman for themselves. Our economic realities are so far changed from our giant forefathers and foremothers that the giants that we stand on are being diminished. I hate to see that and what they accomplished lowered.

President Obama receiving the Nobel Peace Prize and getting slammed for it is unfortunately looking like another step down this road.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 05:35 PM
You started it! :P

...or at least that makes about as much since as you deciding the neo-cons or the Christian right started it.Please tell me which ultra-left tree hugging Dems tried to impeach Bush I., or Reagan...

But they tried to impeach Clinton (and wasted our nation's time and money and distracted us from dealing with Bin Ladin) and are already calling for an impeachment of Obama (which is about as deserved as Obama's Pulitzer)

...riiiiiight...

The simple fact is that an American President winning the Nobel Peace Prize (deserved or undeserved in our opinions) is GOOD for America...and the U.S. getting the bid for the Olympics is GOOD for America (especially in this economy) and to root against BOTH is BLIND STUPID UN-PATRIOTIC PARTISANSHIP and is does our country no good.

Add Bill Kristol to the short list of loud mouthed pussies I'd punch in the mouth if given the chance.

And again, for the record, I don't think Obama has done anything to deserve this award...yet.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 05:37 PM
Please tell me which ultra-left tree hugging Dems tried to impeach Bush I., or Reagan...

But they tried to impeach Clinton (and wasted our nation's time and money and distracted us from dealing with Bin Ladin) and are already calling for an impeachment of Obama (which is about as deserved as Obama's Pulitzer)

...riiiiiight...

Yeah I know right? Having the POTUS lie to a grand jury is just to be expected and accepted. :rolleyes:

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 05:48 PM
BLOW

JOB

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2009, 05:50 PM
Perjury's certainly not OK.

Then again, neither is defying Congress and selling arms to Iran to finance a war in Nicaragua.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 05:51 PM
BLOW

JOB

You can do no better than this?

Come on, is it acceptable for the sitting President to lie to a grand jury or not?

Harry Beanbag
10/11/2009, 05:53 PM
Hmmm, interesting. :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 05:54 PM

You done messed up. :P

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 05:54 PM
Of course not...but that isn't the point.

Tell me this...what STARTED that investigation? What was it that they were looking at? What started the (very appropriate to describe it this way) Witch Hunt in the first place?

How long did it last?
How long did it last before any allegations regarding Lewinsky surfaced?
How much did it cost?

Now tell me that it all really mattered...

And I'd contend that of ANY President in recent history, Bush II deserved to be impeached more than all of them, but I'm glad he wasn't. And I'm glad he's gone.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 05:56 PM
Besides...Bill Clinton was the best Republican President we've had in a long time.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 05:59 PM
Of course not...but that isn't the point.

That's the point I was trying to make!

I WIN!!!! :D

Frozen Sooner

No, it wasn't. I mean, I gave it a 6.5 for creativity, but on the whole it was kind of ho-hum.

Curly Bill
Besides...Bill Clinton was the best Republican President we've had in a long time.

Well, compared to Bush...sure.

Something we can most all agree on is the suckitude of Bush II.

Harry Beanbag
10/11/2009, 06:02 PM
No, it wasn't. I mean, I gave it a 6.5 for creativity, but on the whole it was kind of ho-hum.

Actually, I give the delete button a 1.75 for creativity, very weak and typical.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 06:02 PM
That's the point I was trying to make!

I WIN!!!! :DVery well, you win.

And I win too since it proved my point as well. :D

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 06:03 PM
Actually, I give the delete button a 1.75 for creativity, very weak and typical.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ovJS1Em-6dg/RaOC4KtH04I/AAAAAAAAA_8/uqIO6SjKfDA/s400/maoiTissue.jpg

:D

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 06:03 PM
Very well, you win.

And I win too since it proved my point as well. :D

Oh no, no piggybacking on my victory. :mad:

You go argue with someone you can defeat, then declare a victory. ;) ;)

Harry Beanbag
10/11/2009, 06:04 PM
That might be creative, if I had any idea what it was supposed to mean. Easter Island bloody nose? :confused:

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 06:05 PM
That might be creative, if I had any idea what it was supposed to mean. Easter Island bloody nose? :confused:

I think they has the swine flu.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 06:06 PM
At least it was an 8.25 on the creativity meter. :D

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2009, 06:08 PM

Yes, it is rather consistent that a personal attack would get deleted. I'm glad you've noticed that. We appreciate your feedback here at SoonerFans.com, and we strive consistently to meet or exceed consumer expectations.

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2009, 06:09 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ovJS1Em-6dg/RaOC4KtH04I/AAAAAAAAA_8/uqIO6SjKfDA/s400/maoiTissue.jpg

And honestly, I have no effing idea what this means either. So we're all in the same boat there.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 06:10 PM
It's a TISSUE DISPENSER! But I wanted to be creative, so I found a SILLY tissue dispenser instead of the one we always use on here in order to both mock the whinyness of that post and be creative in doing so! :D:D:D

If you'd like to buy one for yourself...go here: http://spluch.blogspot.com/2007/01/big-maoi-tissue-dispenser.html

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 06:11 PM
Yes, it is rather consistent that a personal attack would get deleted. I'm glad you've noticed that. We appreciate your feedback here at SoonerFans.com, and we strive consistently to meet or exceed consumer expectations.I think this may become my new sig. :D

Harry Beanbag
10/11/2009, 06:13 PM
Yes, it is rather consistent that a personal attack would get deleted.

What's consistent about that around here?

Chuck Bao
10/11/2009, 06:15 PM
That would be an incredible wet napkin dispenser. I am going to have to order some for my next party. Of course, they have to go in the fridge first.

Harry Beanbag
10/11/2009, 06:16 PM
It's a TISSUE DISPENSER! But I wanted to be creative, so I found a SILLY tissue dispenser instead of the one we always use on here in order to both mock the whinyness of that post and be creative in doing so! :D:D:D

If you'd like to buy one for yourself...go here: http://spluch.blogspot.com/2007/01/big-maoi-tissue-dispenser.html

I love it when you accuse others of whining. Classic Soonerfans right there.

KABOOKIE
10/11/2009, 06:20 PM
BLOW

JOB

That and Rush tickets.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 06:20 PM
I love it when you accuse others of whining. Classic Soonerfans right there.

What's consistent about that around here?

Too easy...

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 06:21 PM
That and Rush tickets.You really DO have a man crush!!! Following me around...

Dude...seriously...if you think I'm cute, just ask me out. It's cool...it's the new millennium.

Lott's Bandana
10/11/2009, 06:52 PM

Come on, LAS. Clinton can't claim partisanship too!

Political grandstanding and insanely partisan bellowing has been a part of this country since Philadelphia was our capital. FDR caught shotgun blasts for the New Deal, Lincoln for emancipation, Washington for being quite tall.

Dis shilte ain't new, its just instant.

Frozen Sooner
10/11/2009, 06:58 PM
Heh. In fact, George Washington was the subject of many partisan attacks by Alexander Hamilton for not being, well, Alexander Hamilton. :D

Okla-homey
10/11/2009, 07:15 PM

With all due respect, that is one of the silliest things you've ever posted bro.

Contemporary "partisanship" is pretty darn civil compared to earlier periods. You really ought to read some 18th and 19th century US history.

In fact, there was this whole bloody civil war fought between 1861 and 1865 that was sparked because a Republican won the presidency.

And as for partisanship in the latter half of the 20th c., well, one particularly sordid manifestation of partisanship resulted in the exploding of JFK's head in Dallas.

But I'll grant you, RMN's lies and WJC's romantic daliances and obfuscations arising from same wrecked what was left of pretty solid popular respect for the office of the president.

sheesh.

Harry Beanbag
10/11/2009, 07:35 PM
Heh. In fact, George Washington was the subject of many partisan attacks by Alexander Hamilton for not being, well, Alexander Hamilton. :D

That was until Aaron Burr showed Mr. Hamilton just how a partisan attack was supposed to be handled. :)

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2009, 07:55 PM

Off subject, but I'd like it to be known that I have nothing but contempt and disgust for Alexander Hamilton.

He was a wretched human being with equally wretched political views.

SicEmBaylor
10/11/2009, 08:02 PM
And I hate to agree with Homey, I really hate it actually, but he's right: contemporary partisan squabbles are mild compared to the partisan fights of the early Republic.

Having said that, partisan discourse is as bad as its been in a very long time.

I don't think it started with Clinton though. I think the first seeds of it started with the far-left hatred of Reagan. It really came to fruition though with, what I now believe to be totally irrational, right-wing hatred of Clinton.

The anti-Bush rhetoric was merely a counter-punch for 8 years of Clinton bashing in my estimation.

Curly Bill
10/11/2009, 08:03 PM

I want one. I don't want one $58 worth though. :(

SoonerBorn68
10/11/2009, 10:24 PM
That was until Aaron Burr showed Mr. Hamilton just how a partisan attack was supposed to be handled. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1_s0eWbaYI

LosAngelesSooner
10/12/2009, 12:37 AM
You misunderstand. I'm not saying that partisanship is NEW. I'm saying that this degree of BLIND and BASELESS partisanship is hitting a new level.

Hating someone because they are pro/against slavery is different than 9/11 Conspiracy Theorists, Clinton Murder Conspiracy Theorists and the Birther Movement.

I just think the massive amount of "RAAAAAGE" nowadays is without any foundation. There ARE some valid concerns. No doubt, but most of the crap out there that has everyone so derned riled up is just stupid, "I hate your guy because my guy lost!" crap.

Leroy Lizard
10/12/2009, 01:36 AM
Seriously, dude, you want to really trash a chance on peace?

No doubt, the awarding of the Nobel Peace prize is meddling and if you ask me they should meddle more.

The decision to attack a country is not an easy one for any president. Having a foreign committee pulling the puppet strings only makes it harder to make the right decision. I don't blame the Nobel Committee for trying to meddle, but I will blame Obama if he allows it to happen.

No one should turn down the award and the recognition. Those of you saying that Obama should decline the award are crazy and delusional in my opinion. Turning down the prize would be tantamount to an extreme statement that the US is power hungry and only out for US interests and **** you rest of the world.

Turning down the award sends a very clear message: "We need to make decisions based on what serves the country's and world's best interests, not which strokes my own ego."

If the U.S. had been given the award, that would be another matter. But to accept a personal award from those that are trying to influence your decision-making is just a bad idea. It's conflict of interest. Essentially, you are being bought, just not with money.

I am all in favor of a law that allows no sitting president to receive a Nobel Peace Prize. Let's make the decisions based on what's best, not what earns personal accolades from foreign organizations. With such a law we don't have to worry about this situation arising. After four years, if the Nobel Prize Committee wants to award a president for his actual accomplishments (imagine that), then fine.

The Nobel prize committee has taken risks in the past in trying to promote peace. Yassar Arafat comes to mind.

"We will not bend or fail until the blood of every last Jew from the youngest child to the oldest elder is spilt to redeem our land!" -- Nobel Peace Prize Winner Yasser Arafat

Turd_Ferguson
10/12/2009, 01:42 AM
"We will not bend or fail until the blood of every last Jew from the youngest child to the oldest elder is spilt to redeem our land!" -- Nobel Peace Prize Winner Yasser ArafatWhat a **** knocker:mad:

SCOUT
10/12/2009, 01:50 AM
"We will not bend or fail until the blood of every last Jew from the youngest child to the oldest elder is spilt to redeem our land!" -- Nobel Peace Prize Winner Yasser Arafat

Yeah, but this was obviously taken out of context. What he meant was that peace would be achieved by killing all of the... No wait, he meant that peace would be achieved by driving the jews into the... No wait, he meant that peace would be achieved...

A true representative of what world peace and diplomacy should be.

It has been said before, but it bears repeating. The Nobel Peace Prize has become a meaningless political statement, and that is a shame.

Leroy Lizard
10/12/2009, 04:02 AM
Imagine if Mussolini, Hirohito, and you-know-who had been given Nobel Peace Prizes in an attempt to stave off WWII. According to some in here, that would have been a perfectly logical thing to do.

According to the new standards, a man totally gypped out of a Nobel Peace Prize was Neville Chamberlain.

Turd_Ferguson
10/12/2009, 04:12 AM
Chamberlain was a plonker.

Leroy Lizard
10/12/2009, 04:18 AM
Here is another one from Nobel Prize Winner Yasser Arafat:

"Peace for us means the destruction of Israel. We are preparing for an all-out war, a war which will last for generations."

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2009, 04:57 AM
Chamberlain was not a bad man. He did what he thought he had to do to preserve the security of Great Britain and the Empire. He misjudged Hitler's intents, but so did most of the free-world.

Leroy Lizard
10/12/2009, 11:51 AM
My point was that the "peaceful solution" is not always the best solution.

I Am Right
10/12/2009, 04:33 PM
Chamberlain was not a bad man. He did what he thought he had to do to preserve the security of Great Britain and the Empire. He misjudged Hitler's intents, but so did most of the free-world.

Not Bad at all, just an appeaser, A lot of lives lost because of fear of action.

Curly Bill
10/12/2009, 06:07 PM
Chamberlain was a wuss...

...there, I said it. ;)

CrimsonJim
10/13/2009, 11:01 AM
BREAKING NEWS: This just in!!! Obama wins the Heisman Trophy after watching a college football game!!! :eek:

Gresho Murford
10/13/2009, 11:12 AM
BREAKING NEWS: This just in!!! Obama wins the Heisman Trophy after watching a college football game!!! :eek:

this is spreading like wildfire. Third time I have heard it TODAY!

Leroy Lizard
10/13/2009, 02:00 PM
BREAKING NEWS: This just in!!! Obama wins the Heisman Trophy after watching a college football game!!!

Makes perfect sense. Hasn't he given hope to black athletes as much as black non-athletes? After all, we shouldn't constrain the Heisman Trophy to mere accomplishments.

And it makes perfect sense for the Downtown Athletic Club to use the trophy to send a message. Sure, it's a little risky, like the time they gave the Heisman Trophy to the Peg Bundy character in Married with Children, but they thought by giving her the trophy they could induce housewives all over the nation to get off the couch and get some exercise.