PDA

View Full Version : So We Are "Bombing" The Moon

CK Sooner
10/8/2009, 11:05 PM
So NASA is planning on crashing a rocket into the moon to make a hole and blow up debris to see if there is actually water .

Last time I checked we believe that moon controls the tides and acts like a stabilizer for earths non-spherical shape. Here is a quote I found of the lunar landing.

Few people alive today remember what NASA said when the spent Lunar Landers were ejected and crashed into the Moon. NASA stated that the seismograph instruments the Apollo crew left behind showed that after a Lunar Lander crashed into the Moon, that it "made the Moon ring like a bell for more than 30 minutes."

That quote can mean a couple of things, but the main reason I post this is because it could be hollow and if it is then it could be catastrophic because it could disturb the moons orbit.

Here is another quote I found on the moons orbit.

Disturbing the Moon's orbit may cause tidal waves and quite possibly Earthquakes in many zones around the Earth where edges of tectonic plates are already at or near the breaking point of sliding. The stress caused by a sudden shift in the Moon's gravitational pull could be a serious catastrophe. Who knows what it might do to the Yellowstonesuper-volcano which is already heating up and has made larger areas of Yellowstone park unusable.

Now, we have to think.....is it worth the risk? In my opinion, no.

But let's hope NASA knows something we don't. Heck, maybe I am overreacting, but it causes me to worry anyhow.

Czar Soonerov
10/8/2009, 11:10 PM
Csj7vMKy4EI

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2009, 11:39 PM
Czar...thank you for the Mr. Show reference because:

a) I love Mr. Show

and

b) It gave me this:

nV2p2HyTRlY&

This video, aside from being either (a) genius or b) a total waste of time), reminds me of some of the finest Italian cinema ever made crossed with the teen angst movies of the early 90's...in CHINA.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/8/2009, 11:46 PM
I hope those boys from Frnobulac are gonna be watching, so they won't be getting any bright ideas about the vulnerability of us earthlings!

starclassic tama
10/8/2009, 11:49 PM
dude do you really believe the moon might be hollow or is this a joke?

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2009, 11:53 PM
Best reason to bomb the moon?

In the immortal words of Sir Edmund Hilary: It's there.

bri
10/9/2009, 12:20 AM
I bet it's just a stunt to promote Bebop Cola. (http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951ea6dcca011ebbf9e2bc021c)

GottaHavePride
10/9/2009, 12:26 AM
Booty Sweat > Bebop Cola.

CK Sooner
10/9/2009, 12:36 AM
dude do you really believe the moon might be hollow or is this a joke?

You don't get any input in this troll-boy.

I wish they would strap you onto the rocket.

:D

John Kochtoston
10/9/2009, 12:45 AM
I'd just be worried about hitting the monolith. It's full of stars, you know.

LosAngelesSooner
10/9/2009, 01:11 AM
znjEVqSmUSE&

This one's for you, Moon.

yermom
10/9/2009, 02:06 AM
put me down for the "slightly freaked out" side

Turd_Ferguson
10/9/2009, 06:38 AM
Relax yermom....I think it was a dud.

Jacie
10/9/2009, 06:53 AM
So NASA is planning on crashing a rocket into the moon to make a hole and blow up debris to see if there is actually water .

Last time I checked we believe that moon controls the tides and acts like a stabilizer for earths non-spherical shape.

. . . I post this is because it could be hollow and if it is then it could be catastrophic because it could disturb the moons orbit.

Now, we have to think.....is it worth the risk? In my opinion, no.

But let's hope NASA knows something we don't. Heck, maybe I am overreacting, but it causes me to worry anyhow.

The highlighted part of that last sentence suggests your use of the word we means you are talking for someone other than yourself. If you were serious then I pity anyone that relies on you to be their spokesperson since the average two-year old knows something you don't.

Anyway, if you pull down a corner of the foil covering one your windows and peep outside you'll see the impact has occurred and everything is fine.

sooner_born_1960
10/9/2009, 07:49 AM
CK, you sound like some of the other alarmists around here. We could no more damage the moon than we can damage the earth.

1890MilesToNorman
10/9/2009, 08:04 AM
They better be careful or they could put someone's eye out.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/html/2027.42/55287/3175_3melies3_files/3175_3melies3_lg.jpg

hellogoodbye
10/9/2009, 08:32 AM
On the moon nerds get their pants pulled down and they are spanked with moon rocks.

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/blog/mooninites.jpg

49r
10/9/2009, 10:32 AM
Although I don't really believe this thread deserves - or wants for that matter - a serious reply, I would like to remind peeps that the Moon (and by extension the Earth) would suffer not at all by any impact we could send it.

The Moon is full of craters already. Those craters have been created by impacts. Orders of magnitude upon orders of magnitude greater than any impact we could create by crashing objects into it. "Bombing the Moon" would have about the same effect as, say, a drop of water falling on your head. Actually, not even close to as much as that, really.

I say bomb the **** out of the Moon if NASA thinks it might provide valuable research data. They have a fairly decent track record of collecting useful scientific information. Hubble telescope anyone? Mars rovers? Men on the Moon? Yeah...

Gresho Murford
10/9/2009, 10:36 AM
I wonder if the US would support this if another country planned on doing it?

NormanPride
10/9/2009, 10:40 AM
All right, who wrote "DA MOON RULEZ #1" with a key, on my car?!

yermom
10/9/2009, 10:42 AM
CK, you sound like some of the other alarmists around here. We could no more damage the moon than we can damage the earth.

you mean, other than killing everyone on the planet?

technology has been moving too fast for laws, morals or reason to keep up for a while now

hellogoodbye
10/9/2009, 10:49 AM
All right, who wrote "DA MOON RULEZ #1" with a key, on my car?!

I have a quad lazah, it will amaze yah..

hellogoodbye
10/9/2009, 10:54 AM
Although I don't really believe this thread deserves - or wants for that matter - a serious reply, I would like to remind peeps that the Moon (and by extension the Earth) would suffer not at all by any impact we could send it.

whew - moons safe (for now) :cool:

The Atlas V Centaur upper stage has a mass of 2,000 kg (the more massive of the two vehicles impacting the Moon). It will be moving at 5,600 mph (2.5 km/sec.) BAM! By comparison, the Moon is orbiting the Earth at the measely speed of 2,300 mph (1.022 km/sec). On the other hand, the Moon is just a tad bit more massive than the specks on a collision course.

So let’s say we wanted to change the Moon’s speed by JUST 1 MPH (0.0004 km/sec)—which is less than 1/2,000th its orbital speed—and we were going to do it by hurling Atlas V Centaur upper stages at the Moon. How many would we have to hurl its way? HEY, let’s give every person on planet Earth an opportunity to hurl one. Would that do it? Uh … nope. Every person on Earth (all nearly 7 billion of us) would each need to hurl 1 MILLION Atlas V Centaur upper stages at the Moon. I’d rather just hurl one and not worry about it. Rest easy, sleep well, and let’s see if we can find water on the Moon at the South Pole.

NormanPride
10/9/2009, 11:27 AM
you mean, other than killing everyone on the planet?

technology has been moving too fast for laws, morals or reason to keep up for a while now

Well, yes... But we're not going to affect the moon by crashing a couple satellites into it.

yermom
10/9/2009, 11:38 AM
that wasn't my point :)

NormanPride
10/9/2009, 12:13 PM
Your point was that we can destroy all life on the planet easily. SB1960's point was that we can't actually affect the planet much, as in the physical rock.

I say you're both right!

bri
10/9/2009, 12:27 PM
Only Soonerfans.com can suck all the joy out of BOMBING THE GODDAMN MOON.

Fraggle145
10/9/2009, 12:41 PM
Where's Ike? Is he firing the satellite? :pop:

49r
10/9/2009, 12:45 PM
I think this plan is a tad misguided. Instead of bombing the moon, we should put a friggin laser on it so we can use it as like, a "death star".

I'd call it the "Alan Parsons Project".

proud gonzo
10/9/2009, 12:50 PM
so how is it that we did something like bomb the moon and i couldn't even find out what time it was happening? what the crap is wrong with people?

Dio
10/9/2009, 01:01 PM
So We Are "Bombing" The Moon

Eh, the moon had it coming.

proud gonzo
10/9/2009, 01:01 PM
NASA needs to hire the cameramen from MythBusters. because then people would give a crap about NASA and not question their funding.

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2009, 01:10 PM
Only Soonerfans.com can suck all the joy out of BOMBING THE GODDAMN MOON.

Nothing can suck the joy out of bombing the moon. Soonerfans.com is the Kanye West of the moon bombing. Sure, they're distracting and weird, but in the end the moon is still walking away with the gold spaceman.

John Kochtoston
10/9/2009, 07:52 PM
NASA releases still photo of moon bombing ...
http://web.ncf.ca/ek867/slim.pickens.jpg

Gen. Jack Ripper was unavailable for comment. His spokesman, Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake, said Ripper "was under the weather and attempting to reestablish the essence of his bodily fluids."

Leroy Lizard
10/9/2009, 08:21 PM
I believe in storing all of our waste on the moon, including chemicals and radioactive wastes. If we can just get it there.

stoopified
10/9/2009, 11:03 PM
Are the rockets made of recycled cars gathered in the CASH FOR CLUNKERS campaign?

10/9/2009, 11:41 PM
Are the rockets made of recycled cars gathered in the CASH FOR CLUNKERS campaign?Has the gubmit reimbursed those auto dealers for the clunkers they took in?

Turd_Ferguson
10/10/2009, 12:13 AM
I wonder if the US would support this if another country planned on doing it?Grow some ball's ya *****...we are the USA...we own the ****'n moon!

10/10/2009, 12:16 AM
Grow some ball's ya *****...we are the USA...we own the ****'n moon!That might have been our former position, but now, we are citizens of the world, and kumba-ya, to all.

jdsooner
10/10/2009, 12:51 AM
“One of these days, Alice... bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon.”

~ An early pioneer of spaceflight, explaining his ambitious dream

btk108
10/10/2009, 04:34 AM
shoot the moon...thought that was only in dominoes

Flagstaffsooner
10/10/2009, 08:05 AM
Damnit, they missed texass again.

Turd_Ferguson
10/10/2009, 10:46 AM
“One of these days, Alice... bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon.”

~ An early pioneer of spaceflight, explaining his ambitious dreamhttp://www.gbs.bz/Alice%20Kramden.jpg

Penguin
10/10/2009, 11:10 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7875464780656090650

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 07:03 AM
I hope it's still ringing like a bell...

49r
10/11/2009, 10:26 AM
I0PamtXZO70

Penguin
10/11/2009, 10:42 AM
You know, trying to blow up the moon should really be illegal.