PDA

View Full Version : Hey Political Scientists...Tom Coburn doesn't like you

Boarder
10/8/2009, 08:21 PM
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/62201-coburn-no-more-political-science-funding

Coburn's suggestion? If you want to know about politics, watch Fox News or CNN. Because that's what political science is all about.

And, most of the allocation goes to student and university research, so if you're doing that in college, oh well!

It really doesn't embarrass me that he's from Oklahoma and it gives the state another black eye. Because I'm kind of already used to it and the damage can't get much more.

SicEmBaylor
10/8/2009, 08:24 PM
He's right.

Boarder
10/8/2009, 08:26 PM
There's the confirmation everyone was waiting for. :D

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2009, 08:29 PM
He's right.

Haven't you been working on a PoliSci degree for like six years?

King Crimson
10/8/2009, 08:30 PM
the original failure was assuming that political science was a kind of separate science in the first place with the advent of poltical polling and such.....which was all an outgrowth of advertising techniques. look it up.

most people in the social sciences ought to learn who the real masters are.

Frozen Sooner
10/8/2009, 08:31 PM
the original failure was assuming that political science was a kind of separate science in the first place with the advent of poltical polling and such.....which was all an outgrowth of advertising techniques. look it up.

Robots?

SicEmBaylor
10/8/2009, 08:43 PM

Yep. Although what I really think it boils down to is academia angling for research grants on the pretty flimsy basis that politics is a quantifiable science.

SicEmBaylor
10/8/2009, 08:45 PM
Haven't you been working on a PoliSci degree for like six years?

Yes, but I do not believe that politics shouldn't be treated as a science. The transformation of the political process into some sort of science has done a real disservice to the study of political theory. I don't believe you can or should reduce politics down to a set of graphs, polls, demographical trends, etc. I consider it more an art than a science.

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2009, 09:04 PM
I'm sure Inhofe will find a way to top him and make Oklahoma look even worse.

Inhofe doesn't like being out stupided.

King Crimson
10/8/2009, 09:12 PM
Yep. Although what I really think it boils down to is academia angling for research grants on the pretty flimsy basis that politics is a quantifiable science.

yes. but, that's not about academia. it's about how politics as poll research is a quantity which is a subset of ad techniques. academia is BS, but it's not because of what people think. it's something much wierder.

KABOOKIE
10/8/2009, 09:22 PM
I'm sure Inhofe will find a way to top him and make Oklahoma look even worse.

Inhofe doesn't like being out stupided.

No. Maxine Waters will make both of them look smart when she represents the drooling idiots of her state.

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2009, 09:39 PM
:rolleyes:

Kabook...nothing...and I mean NOTHING can make Inhofe look smart.

Nice try at a Cali slam, however. The sad thing is that you missed the point that I wasn't slamming Oklahoma. In fact, I think Inhofe gives the good people of Oklahoma a very, very bad name. And undeservedly so.

Now, keep on with your little insecurity fits....they amuse me. :D

KABOOKIE
10/8/2009, 10:11 PM
Hahahahaha! You're such a closet donk.

Curly Bill
10/8/2009, 10:14 PM
Hahahahaha! You're such a closet donk.

Naw, I'd say he's come out of the closet. ;) :P :D

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2009, 11:06 PM
Naw, I'd say he's come out of the closet. ;) :P :DCareful sister, or I'll tell everyone about that slumber party we had back in '92.

SicEmBaylor
10/8/2009, 11:11 PM
Well, I'll say this. I admire and respect Tom Coburn more than virtually any other politician at any level of government. He, DeMint, and to a lesser extent Sessions are the only Republican Senators that are worthy of the office they hold.

I'm not a huge Imhofe fan. Although, he did ask me for directions once. Chew on that factoid for a moment...

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2009, 11:23 PM
Sounds about right for Inhofe.

He asked me how I had gotten to be so modest.

:D

mikeelikee
10/8/2009, 11:42 PM
:rolleyes:

Kabook...nothing...and I mean NOTHING can make Inhofe look smart.

Nice try at a Cali slam, however. The sad thing is that you missed the point that I wasn't slamming Oklahoma. In fact, I think Inhofe gives the good people of Oklahoma a very, very bad name. And undeservedly so.

Now, keep on with your little insecurity fits....they amuse me. :D

It doesn't take much effort to slam Cali. Your state's broke, and you're represented by such mental titans as Barbara "don't call me ma'am" Boxer, and Di Fi. Even your Republicans are goofy, to wit Conan the Barbarian is your Gov. Good night. That is all. :cool:

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2009, 11:47 PM
Yep. We suck. Tell ya what...don't visit here, don't move here, don't read anything written here, don't watch anything shot or produced here, don't eat anything grown here, don't use anything built here...

Tell me how that works out for ya.

I'm sure you'll be better off without such a sucky state influencing your life.

LOL...The California jealousy that rears its head around here always cracks me up. :D

47straight
10/9/2009, 01:16 PM
Sounds good to me. Dump the research dollars into science/technology funding.

Gresho Murford
10/9/2009, 01:31 PM
Yep. We suck. Tell ya what...don't visit here, don't move here, don't read anything written here, don't watch anything shot or produced here, don't eat anything grown here, don't use anything built here...

LOL...The California jealousy that rears its head around here always cracks me up. :D

who is jealous of California? If I lived there I would get the **** out!

C&CDean
10/9/2009, 02:02 PM

So what you're saying is that y'all provide all the fruits, nuts, and vegetables for the entire nation. I'm down with that.

And you really oughta look up the word "jealousy" in the dic. I can afford to live anywhere I like in the U.S., including Hawaii, Alaska, and even Guam or Puerto Rico with the job I have. I choose to live in Oklahoma. Yes, there's places with better weather/food/scenery/mountains/beaches/etc. But overall, Oklahoma has everything I need without all the pretentious, self-absorbed lunatics ****ing the place all up. And if you're defending your state's politicians while bashing ours, you must be completely clueless. I'll take a Coburn and an Inhofe any day over a Boxer or a Frank.

LosAngelesSooner
10/9/2009, 07:14 PM
who is jealous of California? If I lived there I would get the **** out!Heh...sure you would. Because you probably could only afford to live in Bakersfield. :rolleyes:

As I was saying...it's a hell hole. We all hate it.

Take my word for it and don't ever come here. :D

So what you're saying is that y'all provide all the fruits, nuts, and vegetables for the entire nation. I'm down with that.

And you really oughta look up the word "jealousy" in the dic. I can afford to live anywhere I like in the U.S., including Hawaii, Alaska, and even Guam or Puerto Rico with the job I have. I choose to live in Oklahoma. Yes, there's places with better weather/food/scenery/mountains/beaches/etc. But overall, Oklahoma has everything I need without all the pretentious, self-absorbed lunatics ****ing the place all up. And if you're defending your state's politicians while bashing ours, you must be completely clueless. I'll take a Coburn and an Inhofe any day over a Boxer or a Frank.What you don't get is that I'm not the one who always jumps around ignorantly bashing on another state. I'm always defending Oklahoma. I don't talk trash on Oklahoma. I realize what a great state it is. THAT has never been a contention of mine...

...but there are some people on here who are so blindly jealous of what California has to offer and who so hate the POLITICS of California that they cling to every bad stereotype/rumor/myth about California that they can and bash it every chance they get.

Which makes me laugh. Because California is an incredible state that provides many of the things which you guys use in your daily lives but take for granted. You know...like Ronald Reagan.

But nobody can deny that Inhofe is regarded by the majority of the U.S. as one of the most categorically ignorant and embarrassing Senators that the U.S. HAS in Congress. Or do I need to remind you about the evil Weather Channel's creation of the myth of Global Climate Change as a tool to get higher rating? :rolleyes: LMFAO!

And I think that many posts here on SF.com through the years prove that Oklahoma has its share of pretentious, self-absorbed lunatics ****ing the place all up.

THANK YOU, CHICAGO!!!

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 07:10 AM
I'm surprised this one slipped by Deano. :D

delhalew
10/11/2009, 10:31 AM
I know Cali quite well. If weren't for it's inhabitants it would be a great place. As it stands...can we just give it back to mexico already.