PDA

View Full Version : Got some bad news today...

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2009, 07:36 PM
My 17 year-old son, my name sake, has decided upon where he wants to go to college, and it is... FLA! I think Tebow inspired him:eek: What's even worse is that he was born at OU Children's Hospital!

Actually, he would go for free, and they good business school.

mightysooner
10/8/2009, 07:44 PM
You could probably get some quick cash for him in eastern europe.

HolaKyle
10/8/2009, 07:47 PM
He could do the Bob Stoops route, go there for under-grad, and to OU for grad school.

beer4me
10/8/2009, 07:49 PM
RIP my friend:D

OUHOMER
10/8/2009, 07:50 PM
My 17 year-old son, my name sake, has decided upon where he wants to go to college, and it is... FLA! I think Tebow inspired him:eek: What's even worse is that he was born at OU Children's Hospital!

Actually, he would go for free, and they good business school.

I say congrates :D

GKeeper316
10/8/2009, 07:57 PM
football aside, florida is a great school

but only if its free.

i met a girl in class once upon a time who said her daddy's stance on college was you can go where you want, but my money is going to OU.

ictsooner7
10/8/2009, 08:43 PM
Do the words "party school" mean anything to you?

SunnySooner
10/8/2009, 08:45 PM
He can still root for the Sooners!! I'm surrounded by Gators, it can be done!!! Congrats on the free ride, those are not easy to come by!

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, it is good to have him go for free. Being surrounded by Gators down here, too, they have given congrats as well; however, I like the idea that he can be a Gator, but my money will go to the Sooners. At least he's not wanting to be a * or a poke.

SunnySooner
10/8/2009, 08:59 PM
I saw a reporter ask this question of an OU couple once at the OU/texass game: "Which would you rather see your kid wear (she was preggo): Burnt Orange or prison stripes?" They both immediately said "PRISON STRIPES!!!" I was so proud!

fadada1
10/8/2009, 09:06 PM
i did my masters at UF (undergrad at OU). if he likes girls, he'll have a great time.

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2009, 09:11 PM
Is he circumcised?

Don't let him near Tebow if he isn't circumcised.

VA Sooner
10/8/2009, 09:25 PM
In-state or out-of-state tuition?

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2009, 09:32 PM
In-state or out-of-state tuition?

In-state. My state of residence is FLA thru the Army. He will get a Hope scholly, and he can use my new GI Bill to defray any of his other costs. Now, if my daughter who is 16 goes there....

G8trGr8t
10/8/2009, 10:34 PM
congrats. Has he been accepted? Since the bar has been raised so high to get in I have to admit that the quality of the eye candy has dropped as only the smartest girls can get in.

Just curious, what are the admission reqmnts at OU right now?

Last time I checked, UF was around a 1270 SAT and a 3.8 gpa. Glad I went back when it was less popular.

tommieharris91
10/8/2009, 10:52 PM
congrats. Has he been accepted? Since the bar has been raised so high to get in I have to admit that the quality of the eye candy has dropped as only the smartest girls can get in.

Just curious, what are the admission reqmnts at OU right now?

Last time I checked, UF was around a 1270 SAT and a 3.8 gpa. Glad I went back when it was less popular.

I wanna say something like a 25 ACT and a 3.0 OR a 27 ACT OR a 3.5. I'm not sure though.

SoonerNate
10/8/2009, 10:56 PM
He could do the Bob Stoops route, go there for under-grad, and to OU for grad school.

I did the opposite. OU undergrad and Florida Atlantic grad

mehip
10/8/2009, 11:42 PM
My Dad didn't like me going to Cal Tech for my undergrad degree. But, I still love the Sooners. Congratulations on having a son with enough gumption to go to school away from home.

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2009, 12:02 AM
Better lay in a supply of jorts.

Desert Sapper
10/9/2009, 12:36 AM
Congratulations! The BLUF is this: Free education is free education. If any of my kids got a full ride to any school I would fully support it. Florida is supposed to be a good school (much more respected than the other schools in the state). With the right amount of effort, your boy will graduate with a solid education and a better chance of getting a good job or an educational deferrment from real life (aka grad school).

Sooner in Tampa
10/9/2009, 05:30 AM
Congrats IronHorse...I am glad that my daughter chose USF. UF would have been fine, I would have lived it.

IF he plans on living in Florida after college the Gator Mafia will be great for connections when it comes time to get a job.

SoonerLB
10/9/2009, 05:53 AM
Heresy! You can try and justify this however you want, but I say it's heresy!

;) :D ;)

rawlingsHOH
10/9/2009, 09:07 AM
One year in Gainesville did little for me.

C&CDean
10/9/2009, 09:10 AM
There's always one child in every family who lets the parents down...

batonrougesooner
10/9/2009, 09:20 AM
Sounds like good news to me.

badger
10/9/2009, 10:04 AM
You can be an OU fan attending another school. We had some guy in the OU band what would wear his poke shirt underneath to the Badlem gaem (OSU didn't offer his major of choice, while OU did). There was another guy I knew that would wear his Va Tech crap everywhere all four years despite the fact that he was a big sports fan and an even bigger football fan. Hated OU, but attended OU. I mean... FOOTBALL! How can you not love OU football over VT football, especially if you attend here? Well, that was his thing.

I've also heard of cases where OU fans attend OSU because for whatever reason they had to attend OSU - OSU offered them more scholly money, didn't have the test scores or whatever to get into OU, etc., so it goes both ways.

As a daddy, you should be extra happy that your kid is getting a free education. Make sure he doesn't waste it - even if its at the Gatorade school instead of the Soonerade (???) school. If your daughter ends up there too, better be on a full ride :D

JLEW1818
10/9/2009, 10:06 AM
your a daddy? :eek:

badger
10/9/2009, 10:19 AM
your a daddy? :eek:

hoosier daddy?

(I'm saying that as a parent he should be extremely happy!)

IronHorseSooner
10/9/2009, 10:20 AM
Actually, it could be a trifecta as my stepson is also looking at places, and the three of them are like a pack. Where one goes, the other two go. My son and stepson are both ardent OU fans, one of which has an account on this site, and my son's favorite Sooner is Tom Wort, even though he is yet to play a down. My son is an avid rugby player, and he equates Tom to those guys.

I Am Right
10/9/2009, 10:51 AM
My kids are 4th generation grads at OU--See my Avatar- picture of my Daughter- Graduated Dec 2007.

StoopTroup
10/9/2009, 10:55 AM
Free or not...I'd whoop his ***...pitch him a tent to live in till he leaves, sell his stuff and make a nice office out of his room.

But that's just me.

IronHorseSooner
10/9/2009, 11:59 AM
Free or not...I'd whoop his ***...pitch him a tent to live in till he leaves, sell his stuff and make a nice office out of his room.

But that's just me.

I already have an office/mancave with all of my military/OU stuff in it. I could teach him to bivouac in our back yard. We are all actually really proud of him, it's just ironic with how he follows our beloved Sooners as much as I do, and he really likes Tom Wort.

Frozen Sooner
10/9/2009, 01:10 PM
My kids are 4th generation grads at OU--See my Avatar- picture of my Daughter- Graduated Dec 2007.

Wow. That's even creepier than I thought.

C&CDean
10/9/2009, 01:14 PM
Says the dude with his caveman lover avatar...

MI Sooner
10/9/2009, 08:11 PM
Cal Tech is ok, since they don't have a Div 1A football team. You can still go there and root for the Sooners.

Can't really go to another Div 1A school and root for someone else. I tried it, during the Blake years even, but I was still converted to a Sooner. I'll be Sooner dead even if not born nor bred.

btk108
10/9/2009, 08:22 PM
OH!....thatz gotta hurt