PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Golf Thread!!!

fadada1
10/8/2009, 12:08 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

one of our members just won his semi-final match in the US Mid-Am. Won 3 & 2 and is heading to the 36 hole final tomorrow - Tim Spitz. If he wins this thing, I may finally see the mecca known as Augusta next April. ROAD TRIP!!!

My boss and some other just got in a car for a 14+ hour drive to watch the finals at Kiawah Island, SC... I'm in Rochester, NY.

King Crimson
10/8/2009, 01:01 PM
good luck to the guy. my dad is there working for the USGA. the mid-am went up in prestige (for serious golf fans) after the college kids started dominating the Amateur in the 90's.

no more Jay Sigel's in the US Amateur these days. i caddied at the Amateur when it was at Oak Tree in 84. that was cool. my buddy caddied for Sigel. my guy was a well known amateur on the East Coast and had it -1 through 11 (which was world-beating at the time, top half of the bracket easy)....and then the wheels came off with a double-double....now the course is in his head....triple....string. where he hit some good shots but the Tree is penal. and that was it. he was done.

Rocco Mediate as a young guy upset Sigel in the first round in that amateur. Verplank won, of course. since then, Verplank always won and he had the biggest "home course" advantage of all-time. the OSU guys, Willie Wood, a couple other guys who's names i forget...they were playing there every day.

sorry to stream of consciousness threadjack. that's awesome fada.

picasso
10/8/2009, 06:49 PM
I used to like Verplank until he was quoted as saying that the oSu win over Georgia was even better with OU losing.

Then I hear Dean Blevins saying last week on the radio that Verplank was on the sidelines in Norman in '01 when they beat us that he thinks OU get's home cookin in Norman by the refs.:mad: :mad: :mad:

King Crimson
10/8/2009, 06:59 PM
we all used to like Scotty even though he was a Poke. inna day. kid was evil good.

you know what i mean pic. whatever, these days poke=poke.

i pull for him still, mostly. i've seen him be kind of dick to kids at the Oak Tree putting green more than once...but, hey. if you are going to putt out there, expect a little attention....from the locals.

Sooner04
10/8/2009, 11:06 PM
I'm sorry, but **** Verplank. Guy is a ******rocket to his very soul. I enjoyed watching him wilt alongside Tiger at Southern Hills a couple of years ago.

ESPN Classic also showed Verplank on the sidelines of the '88 game in Stillwater. Wonder how that one turned out for him.

fadada, you're not at Oak Hill, are you?

King Crimson
10/9/2009, 11:07 AM
I'm sorry, but **** Verplank. Guy is a ******rocket to his very soul. I enjoyed watching him wilt alongside Tiger at Southern Hills a couple of years ago.

ESPN Classic also showed Verplank on the sidelines of the '88 game in Stillwater. Wonder how that one turned out for him.

fadada, you're not at Oak Hill, are you?

if you grew up playing junior golf in Oklahoma 10 years earlier than you did, you wouldn't hate on Verplank no matter how Pokey. dumb and traitor as it sounds.

StoopTroup
10/9/2009, 11:12 AM
Can't a man hate who he wants? Why the pressure on 04?

Tone it down a bit before he loses it on you. ;)

I need to find out where I hid my clubs. If we lose to Baylor...i'm gonna take up golf again till at least September 2010.

Sooner04
10/9/2009, 11:19 AM
if you grew up playing junior golf in Oklahoma 10 years earlier than you did, you wouldn't hate on Verplank no matter how Pokey. dumb and traitor as it sounds.
Is this our first golf-related disagreement?

Two things:
1. I'm never using a Ping Anser.
2. I'm never wrapping said Anser in medical tape!

King Crimson
10/9/2009, 11:23 AM
i bought one of new ansers the other day. it looks right. no more of this over pay for scotty cameron wanna be anser bs.

i'm pretty simple with the wingrip these days.

King Crimson
10/9/2009, 11:32 AM
despite his crazy PING anger, sooner 04 is the only one who reads this thread who knows who Jay Sigel is. and why he matters.

Sooner04
10/9/2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Tour superstar, Jay Sigel? :) How many times did he win the US Amateur? Twice?

The worst case of yips I ever had came with a Ping Anser. Shook me to my very soul, and I've never carried a Ping club since.

OU4LIFE
10/9/2009, 11:56 AM
yeah yeah, good for him, bu has he ever had a Hole-In-One? ;)

Cool stuff Fad....I hope he does it.

and thanks to your help, I won my CC last month.

StoopTroup
10/9/2009, 03:39 PM
I got 4 holes in one at Incredible Pizza once.

King Crimson
10/9/2009, 04:15 PM
yeah yeah, good for him, bu has he ever had a Hole-In-One? ;)

Cool stuff Fad....I hope he does it.

and thanks to your help, I won my CC last month.

i heard it was a 6 iron, light draw.....and the angels were singing.

Sooner04
10/9/2009, 04:20 PM
I want to know if fadada actually works at Oak Hill. That might be a good spot for a SF.com golf outing.

TopDawg
10/9/2009, 04:35 PM
I want to know if fadada actually works at Oak Hill. That might be a good spot for a SF.com golf outing.

His facebook says he's at Monroe.

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 07:11 AM
Good luck to the guy!

StoopTroup
10/11/2009, 09:56 AM
We won. I found my clubs anyway. I might even go hit a small bucket today.

OU4LIFE
10/13/2009, 09:13 AM
I got 4 holes in one at Incredible Pizza once.

yeah, but was the pizza incredible?

OU4LIFE
10/13/2009, 09:14 AM
Oh, and I played Southern Hills yesterday.

Sooner04
10/13/2009, 09:50 AM
From the tips? Did you break 85?

TopDawg
10/13/2009, 10:28 AM
85? That's nothing. I could get there in 14 holes.

Mjcpr
10/13/2009, 10:30 AM
85? That's nothing. I could get there in 14 holes.

Word. I'da broke 85 all to hell.

OU4LIFE
10/13/2009, 10:54 AM
I broke roughly 400.

and no pizza.

picasso
10/13/2009, 11:57 AM
Oh, and I played Southern Hills yesterday.

How was it brah?

OU4LIFE
10/13/2009, 03:12 PM
it was money.

well except for the rain and coldishness.

I didn't break 85. thanks to the driver. I hit 4 fairways all day, and had maybe 5 birdie putts all day and shot 87. I spent more time punching out than Mike Tyson.

But I putted extremely well. feh.

Mjcpr
10/13/2009, 03:39 PM
Well, good try, Hairy. The course is not for amateurs.

:D

IB4OU2
10/13/2009, 03:43 PM
Poor weather day for a round of golf. Did you have a choice?

OU4LIFE
10/14/2009, 07:09 AM
nope, no choice.

If I hit the driver anywhere close to normal I shoot better than 80. Easily.

Of course, if I had hit the driver in the fairway all day, I probably wouldn't have made a putt at all.

stupid golf.

picasso
10/14/2009, 08:27 AM
OK, I want some details. Did you hit driver off of 1 and 3?

What did you use on #8? And how did 12 go? And lastly, I can't recall if #16 is being played as a par 4 by the members now?

Sooner04
10/14/2009, 08:57 AM
Geez. I'd love to have one shot at the green on 12 from the fairway. That's a wonderful scene my man, Perry Maxwell, carved out.

fadada1
10/14/2009, 10:22 AM

topdawg has it right. i'm at monroe golf club (about 1 mile from oak hill). another classic donald ross, just not oak hill. we played the east course this past saturday - from the tips - and in wet conditions. didn't play too bad, shot 82. "par" is 80 on the big boy course.

our mainwebsite is "members only", but here's a good place to see a little history:

www.monroeinvitational.com

fadada1
10/14/2009, 10:24 AM
sweet 4LIFE. love to hear it. they give you a pint sized trophy and a pack of socks for your victory???

Sooner04
10/14/2009, 10:26 AM
fadada,

How mean is the West? Have you ever played it? The pros always rave about it when they come around. It tore the hell out of the Seniors last year.

My man, Charlie Coe, won the US Amateur at Oak Hill. A fellow Ardmoreite!

StoopTroup
10/14/2009, 10:34 AM
Isn't this Wednesday?

fadada1
10/14/2009, 10:35 AM
fadada,

How mean is the West? Have you ever played it? The pros always rave about it when they come around. It tore the hell out of the Seniors last year.

the east course is the championship course. and it DID tear the hell out of the seniors last year. had one of the guys stay with us (a friend from my days at sam houston state). says it was the hardest course he's ever played - but absolutely loved it - and managed to make the cut.

the west course is nice. a little more "user friendly". i'm biased, but most will agree monroe (where i am) is a better course (and much truer donald ross) than the west course. the east is just brutal. but completely fair.

they have a small courtyard by the putting green with plaques for the all the champions. always like seeing the charlie coe one.

Sooner04
10/14/2009, 12:57 PM
My mistake, fadada. Good catch. I obviously got them mixed up. The West course played to a par of 69 when they had the Amateur there a few years ago (Hank Kuehne won). Always thought that was kinda cool.

The East is a brute. Very cool you got to play it.

fadada1
10/14/2009, 01:53 PM
My mistake, fadada. Good catch. I obviously got them mixed up. The West course played to a par of 69 when they had the Amateur there a few years ago (Hank Kuehne won). Always thought that was kinda cool.

The East is a brute. Very cool you got to play it.

get to play the east 3-4 times a year. it is quite a treat. just one of the perks of being in the golf business.

OU4LIFE
10/15/2009, 08:08 AM
OK, I want some details. Did you hit driver off of 1 and 3?

What did you use on #8? And how did 12 go? And lastly, I can't recall if #16 is being played as a par 4 by the members now?

We played the blue tees. so it was lengthy. Driver off every tee except 7 and the par three, but two of the par three were playing 230+, like 8, 239..hit 3 wood. 12 is just beautiful. one of the only FW I hit and I dumped the 6 iron into the front left trap. 16 was 507 and we played it as a par 5...like the members do. I just can't imagine that beast as a par 4. I hit it left there and had to punch out but it still would have played driver 3-wood.

I'd love to go back and try again. Especially as well as I putted. that really surprised me that I putted well, Maxwells subtle greens usually hose me.

Partial Qualifier
10/15/2009, 11:21 AM
That's a wonderful scene my man, Perry Maxwell, carved out.

Greg Norman thinks you've got some 'splainin to do.

Sooner04
10/15/2009, 11:27 AM
A young, impressionable kid is allowed many icons.