PDA

View Full Version : Blinndergarten...

Desert Sapper
10/8/2009, 07:03 AM
has some highly touted kids on the JUCO list for rivals and OU is in on all of them, including Cam Newton who considered OU before comitting to UF a couple years ago (and managed to whiff on the academic stuff) and the #1 JUCO in the country and #1 JUCO WR in the country:

WR Dexter Ransom (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Dexter-Ransom-90050)

QB Cam Newton (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Cameron-Newton-95471)

DT Jonathan Mathis (http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Jonathan-Mathis-90732)

I'm not a huge fan of pulling in tons of JUCO kids, but we need WR talent next year to be competitive, we probably need some depth at QB (and Cam may make a pretty decent WR or TE with his size), and we could always use depth on the D-Line (especially if G-Mac goes pro in the Spring).

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2009, 10:30 AM
I think all would be good pick ups, but remember that it often takes one year to get transfers from anywhere (JUCO or another school) to get into the system. Look at the Load. His first year he was OK, but he really developed in his second year. We have this issue this year with J. Jones and Kenney. A good bit of this depends on what WRs we do get. I think we get White, it's just a formality at this point. I think the staff wants to get another. Some here believe that Prater is going to decommit from SUC, and is seriously looking at us again. We are also in on Stills and Lucas. Both are high-end WRs. You also have McCay who could be a WR depending on the need for more LBs. At QB, you will have Landry, Allen, and Bell. Maybe outside of SUC, that might be the best QB triio in America. I don't think another QB would be necessary. As for DT, we already have Noble & Peterson. Here, it would depend on whether they get Jeffcoat. If you go after Ransom, you would have a number of big, physical receivers, presuming you get White, and with McCay in the fold. The same if you try to get Newton, and try to make him a receiver of some sort. At 6'6" and almost 250, he could be a hybrid TE type like Gresham, but we already have a guy on the roster, Lane Johnson, who is 6'7", 252, and was a converted JUCO QB. With Mathis, I would go after him once we know we wouldn't be able to get Jeffcoat, and gear Noble to be a big DE at almost 275 lbs. All of these guys would make interesting grabs for the staff. If these guys can play, I am sure that the coaches would find spots on the team for them.

Desert Sapper
10/8/2009, 03:09 PM
I guess I'm just getting a little fed up with the WR clusterbomb. Somehow we had all these highly touted super-receivers who can't do a thing on the field. Kenney was an afterthought and was expected to step in as a return guy and punter. Now he is looking like our #1 or #2 WR. What the hell happened to all our superduper 6-4 220 uber recruits at WR?

It seems like maybe if we get Ransom we at least get somebody that has some proven collegiate ability. I would love to get Prater but I'm not holding my breath.

I think we need all the help we can get at TE. Hanna and Ikard looked good in the preseason, but those guys aren't performing on the field (or aren't getting the chance to). I think Newton would make an awesome TE. He is huge and fast. Who is Lane Johnson and what is his story? When can he play?

DT is probably the biggest game-changing position on the field. It is also the hardest to project high-school to college/college to pro. Mathis may or may not be awesome, but if he is manhandling dudes at the JUCO level, that has more credibility than manhandling dudes at the HS level.

I don't anticipate that we will need Mathis given what we have on the way, but you never know, and you can never really tell who the next badass will be. Look at Taylor and Beal on our current line.

CK Sooner
10/8/2009, 03:46 PM
Cameron Newton looks like Michael Vick.

We need to go after more than one Junior College WR in my opinion.

stoopified
10/9/2009, 07:28 PM
Its KINDERGARTEN,some people need to learn to spell,my son goes to Bindergarten...I meam kindergarten.

Desert Sapper
10/10/2009, 05:12 PM
I only call it that because dude I am in Saudi with (A&M grad) went there and calls it that. And I gather that the edumacation is less than stellar.

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 10:46 AM
If we were to get Ransom and Newton (at TE), then we could put out there some imposing receivers next year with Miller and if we get White, like most people believe.

Desert Sapper
10/11/2009, 02:28 PM
The awesome thing about a guy like Newton is you could play him at TE, split him wide, put him in a 'Wildcat', run end arounds, WR/TE option passes, the options are limitless. If he is legitimitly that big AND that fast, he'd be an unstoppable threat from everywhere on the field. Sorta like another dude that will be playing TE for some lucky team in the league next year.

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 03:18 PM
We're the biggest name school for all of them (I think Tennessee is in on Newton). If these guys want to play for championships, they will come here. I think Newton could come in immediately and play TE, and Ransom could compete for WR. Mathis is darn near as big as GK. If he leaves, that would be a nice pick up.

Desert Sapper
10/11/2009, 03:49 PM
Much as I would love to see GK back for his senior year, I don't see it happening. But you never can tell. His attitude and life outlook couldn't be further apart from Tommie Harris'. And he is an Oklahoma kid. But then, so was Curtis Lofton and so was Reggie Smith.

It's getting much harder to tell these days. We kept all our underclassmen before Roy left early. Then Tommie followed suit. It's been an avalanche since then, but last year's decision by all the possible returning starters gave me some hope. Maybe they'll do it again. Who knows?

Although, if this is really the last year before the Rookie cap, we could see a mass exodus.

rawlingsHOH
10/20/2009, 03:55 PM
Much as I would love to see GK back for his senior year, I don't see it happening. But you never can tell. His attitude and life outlook couldn't be further apart from Tommie Harris'. And he is an Oklahoma kid. But then, so was Curtis Lofton and so was Reggie Smith.

It's getting much harder to tell these days. We kept all our underclassmen before Roy left early. Then Tommie followed suit. It's been an avalanche since then, but last year's decision by all the possible returning starters gave me some hope. Maybe they'll do it again. Who knows?

Although, if this is really the last year before the Rookie cap, we could see a mass exodus.
That a little bit deceiving.

Since the hiring of Stoops...
98 - Parker
99 - McDougal
00 - NONE
01 - Williams
02 - Wilkerson
03 - Harris
04 - Pool
05 - NONE
06 - Peterson
07 - Kelly, Smith, Lofton
08 - NONE

Did I miss any?

KYHonorarySooner
10/21/2009, 10:54 AM
So, is it a given that Newton would be considered a tight end prospect? Does anyone believe that he holds out for a shot somewhere at QB?

Mjcpr
10/21/2009, 06:39 PM
Shouldn't we be looking at the top shelf OL in the JC ranks?

Desert Sapper
10/22/2009, 02:06 PM
That a little bit deceiving.

Since the hiring of Stoops...
98 - Parker
99 - McDougal
00 - NONE
01 - Williams
02 - Wilkerson
03 - Harris
04 - Pool
05 - NONE
06 - Peterson
07 - Kelly, Smith, Lofton
08 - NONE

Did I miss any?

I didn't know Stockar McDougal was an underclassman. But then, he was like Loadholt in that he looked like he was 35 years old as a college junior/senior.

IronHorseSooner
10/25/2009, 08:33 AM
After further review, it would be great to get all three of these guys. If we were to put Ransom on one side, and Miller on the other, those would be huge mismatches for CBs. Most college CBs are like the KU guys yesterday, and if you had a guy like Ransom, and Darius White, that could be scary good. Newton would be an interesting get, as we could use him in Wild-Horsepig formations, and as a flex TE/HB. Again, it would be about mismatches. Mathis would give us another guy with same build as guys we have now. You can never have enough good DL or OL. I believe that we are also in on a big OL from a JUCO out in California.