PDA

View Full Version : religulous

PDXsooner
10/7/2009, 11:20 PM
has anyone seen this? if so, what did you think?

for me, it reinforced my position -- basically the same as mahr -- nobody knows, and all religions are just guesses. but i'm curious to know what people thought about it...

CK Sooner
10/7/2009, 11:22 PM
Is it a tv show?

iwannabelikesam
10/7/2009, 11:22 PM
oh geez, do I have to post in this religious thread, too now?

PDXsooner
10/7/2009, 11:24 PM
Is it a tv show?

no, it was a documentary/movie done by bill mahr. a cross between religion/ridiculous.

PDXsooner
10/7/2009, 11:24 PM
oh geez, do I have to post in this religious thread, too now?

unless you've been kidnapped and someone is forcing your hand onto the mouse, you don't *have* to do a damn thing.

iwannabelikesam
10/7/2009, 11:26 PM
unless you've been kidnapped and someone is forcing your hand onto the mouse, you don't *have* to do a damn thing.

I do have somewhat similar beliefs with mahr when it comes to religion, but man I cannot stand that guy, I would never watch anything of his, sorry.

starclassic tama
10/7/2009, 11:29 PM
well you are missing out. even if you are a religious person, you should still be able to see and laugh at a funny movie. this movie was really funny.

def_lazer_fc
10/8/2009, 12:46 AM
saw it a while back. pretty funny. and, whether you like his beliefs or not, he did make some good points.

Gresho Murford
10/8/2009, 09:51 AM
he is an arrogant *** and can't stand listening to the guy. Saw him on one of the tonight shows and he was a complete dick.

Collier11
10/8/2009, 10:15 AM
Any person who doesnt believe can find ways to make fun of religion, I have no reason to watch anything done by that blowhard

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2009, 10:29 AM
Nothing like having your own HBO spot with a flaming lib live audience, a flaming lib discussion panel and one lonely conservative to beat on. I wouldn't be surprised if they have applause sign's so the crowd knows when to validate one of his points. Bill Mahr is one of those guy's, that if given the liberty of smoking weed legally, you'd never see or hear from him again.

49r
10/8/2009, 01:55 PM
Hm, I think I can see where this is going...

Collier11
10/8/2009, 02:02 PM
Hm, I think I can see where this is going...

Here comes LAS and RLIMC and TUBA and KC, :pop: ;)

I Am Right
10/8/2009, 02:20 PM
Is it bigger than a bread box?

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 02:38 PM
i expected that most people on here don't like mahr. after all, he has differing political/religious beliefs than most on here, so naturally they'll hate and discredit him with severity.

i can sift through those responses. i guess i was wondering what people thought of the actual context of the film. if you hate mahr and refuse to watch the movie, that's great -- but you don't have a lot to offer here, do you?

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2009, 02:41 PM
i expected that most people on here don't like mahr. after all, he has differing political/religious beliefs than most on here, so naturally they'll hate and discredit him with severity.

i can sift through those responses. i guess i was wondering what people thought of the actual context of the film. if you hate mahr and refuse to watch the movie, that's great -- but you don't have a lot to offer here, do you?So, basically...your just looking for a lib spank fest?

JohnnyMack
10/8/2009, 02:41 PM
I thought it was OK. It lacked depth. There were some really amusing parts and some really scary parts, but overall I didn't feel like it broke any new ground.

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 02:48 PM
So, basically...your just looking for a lib spank fest?

yea, a lib spank fest would be cool. because only libs could dissent from god right? i mean, of course god is on the conservative side! ha ha ha

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 02:50 PM
I thought it was OK. It lacked depth. There were some really amusing parts and some really scary parts, but overall I didn't feel like it broke any new ground.

i agree. it was entertaining at times, and i felt like he had fun with it. but i was expecting there to be a little more pointing out of the historical contradictions and less about his own life.

Collier11
10/8/2009, 02:50 PM
NO, only libs would hold any water to anything Maher would have to say, the guy is a tool who offers nothing of substance to anybody

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2009, 02:52 PM
yea, a lib spank fest would be cool. because only libs could dissent from god right? i mean, of course god is on the conservative side! ha ha hanice try...

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 02:53 PM
NO, only libs would hold any water to anything Maher would have to say, the guy is a tool who offers nothing of substance to anybody

really? did you watch the film? you don't think it had any good points?

and i'm not a liberal and i hold water to what he says. he offered plenty of substance to me.

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2009, 02:55 PM
really? did you watch the film? you don't think it had any good points?

and i'm not a liberal and i hold water to what he says. he offered plenty of substance to me.so you hate Christianity...we get it. I'll pray for ya.

Collier11
10/8/2009, 02:56 PM
I have seen many of his programs/shows, the guy is a flat out loon

Let me put it another way, he is alot like Michael Moore, while in some instances he may have a legit point to make, the fact that he is more worried about his agenda and puts alot less emphasis on being genuine and fact checking, I have no use for him.

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2009, 02:58 PM
I have seen many of his programs/shows, the guy is a flat out loonmahr/moore...loon's/liberal zillionaires

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 03:00 PM
so you hate Christianity...we get it. I'll pray for ya.

not at all. i think ALL religions are equally as unlikely as the next. i find immense interest in the topic. i'm not here to insult anyone's religion, either. i was hoping to get some opinions from people that are able to watch things that challenge their belief systems with s semi-open mind, that's all...

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 03:00 PM
the fact that he is more worried about his agenda

what's wrong with that? everyone has an agenda, don't they?

Collier11
10/8/2009, 03:01 PM
Challenging whether you are a true conservative is one thing, Challening your way of life, your belief system is a whole other thing. The guy is out there trying to make a joke out of religion, he has made it a point throughout his career to make a joke out of Christianity. It is one thing to ask questions, it is another to make a mockery of someones beliefs just cus you dont share those beliefs. He is a fool and nothing more

JohnnyMack
10/8/2009, 03:03 PM
Challenging whether you are a true conservative is one thing, Challening your way of life, your belief system is a whole other thing. The guy is out there trying to make a joke out of religion, he has made it a point throughout his career to make a joke out of Christianity. It is one thing to ask questions, it is another to make a mockery of someones beliefs just cus you dont share those beliefs. He is a fool and nothing more

No......he pretty much makes fun of everyone in this film.

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 03:04 PM
Challening your way of life, your belief system is a whole other thing.

if i were a christian, i would hope that i would have challenged my belief system before i dedicated my soul to it. i think if you're committed to the "truth", you challenge and entertain anything and everything before you reach your conclusions.

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 03:05 PM

and he made similar fun of islam, judaism, and everything else in this film. it was an attack on religion, not christianity.

Collier11
10/8/2009, 03:05 PM
I agree, not cool when it is someones beliefs, Christian or not

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2009, 03:06 PM
if i were a christian, i would hope that i would have challenged my belief system before i dedicated my soul to it. i think if you're committed to the "truth", you challenge and entertain anything and everything before you reach your conclusions.Faith.

Collier11
10/8/2009, 03:07 PM
if i were a christian, i would hope that i would have challenged my belief system before i dedicated my soul to it. i think if you're committed to the "truth", you challenge and entertain anything and everything before you reach your conclusions.

Challenge, Question= OK, making a mockery of=not ok, get it

and he made similar fun of islam, judaism, and everything else in this film. it was an attack on religion, not christianity.

and all because he himself chooses not to believe, very arrogant and very sh*tty

OhU1
10/8/2009, 03:09 PM
I take exception to the concept that "not believing" makes one a "Liberal".

I can't stand Mahr but I was laughing my *** off despite myself during much of this movie (which I watched on You Tube for free). Michael Moore's stuff on the other hand doesn't amuse me.

Fraggle145
10/8/2009, 03:10 PM
Nothing like having your own HBO spot with a flaming lib live audience, a flaming lib discussion panel and one lonely conservative to beat on. I wouldn't be surprised if they have applause sign's so the crowd knows when to validate one of his points. Bill Mahr is one of those guy's, that if given the liberty of smoking weed legally, you'd never see or hear from him again.

Rawr. Fox News. Rawr.

;)

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2009, 03:12 PM
Rawr. Fox News. Rawr.

;)C'mon...Fox has nothing remotely close to Mahr's show.

JohnnyMack
10/8/2009, 03:12 PM
I agree, not cool when it is someones beliefs, Christian or not

People used to believe the earth was flat too.

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 03:20 PM
C'mon...Fox has nothing remotely close to Mahr's show.

now THAT i disagree with. there should be a law against calling that channel the "news" -- it is a 24-hour running conservative documentary. very entertaining, though.

C&CDean
10/8/2009, 03:40 PM
Meh. The only thing that would interest me with Mahr in it would be a cagematch with him and Dennis Miller. Miller would clean his clock.

Fraggle145
10/8/2009, 03:41 PM
Meh. The only thing that would interest me with Mahr in it would be a cagematch with him and Dennis Miller. Miller would clean his clock.

I'd put money on Miller. Not that I particularly care for either one.

Pogue Mahone
10/8/2009, 04:02 PM
"Religilous" was flippant, silly, self-involved and demeaning. All in all, Maher at his worst. And I'm more liberal than any regular poster on this board.

I was hoping he could make some sort of coherent case against religion, which I'd watch to but disagree with. Instead, it seemed like 90 minutes of "boy ain't they stupid." If I wanted to see 90 minutes of stupid, I'd watch a soccer game.

Maher's still funnier than Dennis Miller, who sounded old and awful on O'Reilly.

PDXsooner
10/8/2009, 04:51 PM
i don't think mahr or miller are that funny...

LosAngelesSooner
10/8/2009, 05:45 PM
Nothing like having your own HBO spot with a flaming lib live audience, a flaming lib discussion panel and one lonely conservative to beat on. I wouldn't be surprised if they have applause sign's so the crowd knows when to validate one of his points. Bill Mahr is one of those guy's, that if given the liberty of smoking weed legally, you'd never see or hear from him again.My only contributions to this thread are as follows:

a) Bill Maher is a very intelligent, talented and funny person.
b) Religulous is a well done and entertaining piece, whether you agree with it or not.
c) Bill Maher comes off as a holier-than-thou, pompous, elitist dick quite often mainly because, in person, he is a holier-than-thou, pompous, elitist dick. (I still like the guy, btw)
d) Smoking weed is pretty much legal in Cali. Bill Maher (and I have witnessed this firsthand) smokes a LOT of weed...and we still see and hear from him all the time, so your point is invalid.
e) Not liking Bill Maher is entirely your prerogative and I can't hold that against you. I can see how you'd feel this way, but you have to concede that he does make good points and is both smart and funny.
f) Humor is almost always okay. Even if the humor pokes fun at your beliefs. Humor is often the fastest and shortest way to truth. So I appreciate Bill Maher using humor to get his point across and to challenge what many of us believe much more than any number of shock jocks, talk radio hosts and tv pundits who feel that the best way to do that is to yell at me (us) and call me (us) names.
g) I used to like Dennis Miller until Dennis Miller started doing parodies of Dennis Miller and calling it new material. He lost it about 10 years ago.
h) I'm hungry.

:texan:

A Sooner in Texas
10/8/2009, 08:42 PM
Bill Maher (sorry, that's really been bugging me) doesn't believe in religion and made a movie about it. So what? Nobody is being forced to watch it or to agree with Maher. Nobody, thank whoever or whatever you believe in, is being forced to believe in any particular dogma, at least in this country. Nobody has to watch his show on HBO, either, just like nobody has to watch Fox, which, to me, is a crapfest.
Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc., etc., etc., have all been under attack by someone for millenia. I think they will survive Maher.

starclassic tama
10/8/2009, 11:34 PM

religions make a fool of themselves, he just points out the obvious. you haven't seen the movie, you are just in this thread to spread your jesus gospel and pick a fight you aren't equipped to handle

People used to believe the earth was flat too.

and some people STILL believe you go to hell when you die if you don't love jesus. in 2000 and freakin' 9.

Collier11
10/8/2009, 11:46 PM
religions make a fool of themselves, he just points out the obvious. you haven't seen the movie, you are just in this thread to spread your jesus gospel and pick a fight you aren't equipped to handle

and some people STILL believe you go to hell when you die if you don't love jesus. in 2000 and freakin' 9.

You are an absolute idiot, im really surprised you are even still on this board but as far as I am concerned you can shove your blatantly disrespectful views up your ***.

You are the only one I see making a fool of themselves

Turd_Ferguson
10/8/2009, 11:48 PM
religions make a fool of themselves, he just points out the obvious. you haven't seen the movie, you are just in this thread to spread your Jesus gospel and pick a fight you aren't equipped to handlePaleeze..., why don't you point out the post where C11 is "spreading the Gospel".

and some people STILL believe you go to hell when you die if you don't love Jesus. in 2000 and freakin' 9.and some people still act like doosh rocket's over another person's religious faith.

Collier11
10/9/2009, 12:01 AM
I havent "spread the gospel" at any point, the only thing I ever said in this thread was that Maher was trying to make a mockery of peoples beliefs

Dio
10/9/2009, 02:01 PM
Al Maher > Bill Maher

C&CDean
10/9/2009, 02:07 PM
some people STILL believe you go to hell when you die if you don't love jesus. in 2000 and freakin' 9.

You got some proof that you don't? You know how you science guys always gotta have the literal proof, so saying you don't is just as stupid as saying you do. So, until you do provide some proof, how about kindly shutting the **** up?

Collier11
10/9/2009, 02:11 PM
he is too dumb to shut the **** up

Gresho Murford
10/9/2009, 02:16 PM
You got some proof that you don't? You know how you science guys always gotta have the literal proof, so saying you don't is just as stupid as saying you do. So, until you do provide some proof, how about kindly shutting the **** up?

now you've done it. Here comes the "the burden of proof is on the religious ones" line

Collier11
10/9/2009, 02:18 PM
there is no burden of proof on either side, its not our job to prove anything and if those who dont believe want proof, they can look for it themselves unless they want to have a legitimate and respectful conversation. Unfortunately starclassic is either too dumb or too much of an *** to do either

Fraggle145
10/9/2009, 02:19 PM

I'm gonna have to agree with Dean here. You have no proof. I don't either. Hence why atheism is a belief. I think I've said it before, but the right characterization for me is probably Agnostic. I cant prove/disprove god I just think that it is highly, highly, highly improbable that there isn't one. Still doesnt give me the right to **** on other people's beliefs. If you want them to respect yours, you have to respect theirs.

C&CDean
10/9/2009, 02:45 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Dean here. You have no proof. I don't either. Hence why atheism is a belief. I think I've said it before, but the right characterization for me is probably Agnostic. I cant prove/disprove god I just think that it is highly, highly, highly improbable that there isn't one. Still doesnt give me the right to **** on other people's beliefs. If you want them to respect yours, you have to respect theirs.

Which explains why me (a believer) and Frag (a non-believer) are tight, yo.

And to be honest, every believer worth his salt has questioned and re-questioned his/her belief/faith a brazillion times.

LosAngelesSooner
10/9/2009, 07:20 PM
In science, the burden of proof is on the existence of something. Because you can't prove non-existence, only lack of something being present.

That said, I believe in God and am a Roman Catholic. And you shouldn't **** all over someone's beliefs UNTIL their beliefs start pissing all over you. (like saying you're going to Hell, blowing your church up, knocking on your door to "save you" at 8am)

Believe what you want, I say. Just be prepared to let other people believe whatever they want, too.

adoniijahsooner
10/10/2009, 07:05 AM
Why does Maher feel the need to make religious people look stupid? From listening to him, he seems very insecure with his beliefs and always brings up his catholic background as a reason to scoff @ religion.

My conversation with Maher would be very short and clear, "MY beliefs belong to no one else but ME; you do not have to like them or believe, because to ME they stand true and clothed with substance."

People put to much fight into making people respect their beliefs, when the only that matters is how you feel about YOUR beliefs.

LosAngelesSooner
10/10/2009, 07:45 AM
First time ever, but I agree with adonijihadsooner.

stoopified
10/10/2009, 09:37 AM
Any person who doesnt believe can find ways to make fun of religion, I have no reason to watch anything done by that blowhardWell you said what I was thinking although in much politer terms.This idiot actually takes himself seriously and thinks he is an openminded intellectual.Reality is he ia a semi-funny comic with the mentality of a 15 yearold.Basically a lovechild of Rosie Odonnell and Michael Moore.

JohnnyMack
10/10/2009, 10:06 AM
I contend the reason he raises so many people's hackles is how close to home he hits.

yermom
10/10/2009, 10:07 AM
Why does Maher feel the need to make religious people look stupid? From listening to him, he seems very insecure with his beliefs and always brings up his catholic background as a reason to scoff @ religion.

My conversation with Maher would be very short and clear, "MY beliefs belong to no one else but ME; you do not have to like them or believe, because to ME they stand true and clothed with substance."

People put to much fight into making people respect their beliefs, when the only that matters is how you feel about YOUR beliefs.

because religion isn't just about your personal beliefs, it's also about what influence is put on other people. some people are convinced to stupid or awful things because of religion.

if it was just some internal decision someone makes, and it didn't affect other people, there wouldn't be near as much fuss about it

LosAngelesSooner
10/11/2009, 07:07 AM
I think that what he meant was that if EVERYONE treated it that way, we wouldn't have to worry about those fringe crazies who bastardize the inherently good message in almost all the world's great religions.

Uncle Ernie
10/11/2009, 06:41 PM

Which Dennis Miller? The guy that had the HBO show or the one that shills for conservatives since 9/11?

Uncle Ernie
10/11/2009, 06:42 PM
"Religilous" was flippant, silly, self-involved and demeaning. All in all, Maher at his worst. And I'm more liberal than any regular poster on this board.

I was hoping he could make some sort of coherent case against religion, which I'd watch to but disagree with. Instead, it seemed like 90 minutes of "boy ain't they stupid." If I wanted to see 90 minutes of stupid, I'd watch a soccer game.
Maher's still funnier than Dennis Miller, who sounded old and awful on O'Reilly.

The soccer line is pure comedy genius!