PDA

View Full Version : Stoops mentality the issue?

mightysooner
10/7/2009, 08:47 PM
"Wilson has the support of the only man that matters, coach Bob Stoops. The boss of the 19th-ranked Sooners (2-2) called it “ridiculous” to suggest that Wilson put together a game plan that was too conservative in a 21-20 loss at Miami on Saturday night that most likely eliminated the chances of a second straight trip to the BCS championship game."

So we're ridiculous? We saw the game ya know.

“I don’t see where people get that. We went right down the field on the first drive and scored, and we were calling a bunch of those plays throughout the game,” Stoops said. “They don’t look as good when they’re defended well or you get a holding call out on the perimeter on the same play and you get minus-10.”

No you weren't. After Broyles left you handcuffed Jones and just handed the ball off. Don't look as good when they're defended well? Holding calls? Those sound a lot like excuses to me Bob. Aren't you a no excuses guy?

"Personnel issues aside, Wilson thinks the main reason his team’s scoring average has dropped from 51.1 points last season to 35.5 this season is that the Sooners have been handcuffing themselves."

So...it's the players handcuffing themselves, not Kevin.

“That was my concern—not concerned with play-calling but we didn’t get ball stretched down the field enough,” Wilson said. “Not that we need to throw bombs all the time, but I felt like we played in a phone booth, that we allowed them to crowd up on us and in our preparation, we didn’t get enough shots up. … Whether we make those plays or not, maybe that opens up a little bit more of your run game and underneath stuff.”

Way to absolve yourself of any responsibility right off the bat Wilson! Isn't it YOUR job to call the plays? To stretch the field? Didn't get enough shots up because the players didn't execute the smoke draw up top or what? And...exactly how DOES a crowded box open up your run game exactly? As opposed to say.......intermediate passes over the middle maybe.

"Stoops pointed out that Oklahoma ended up with not only one less point than Miami, but just one fewer yard than the Hurricanes in the game. He also defended a pair of running plays called on third-and-long, saying that they were aimed at creating manageable fourth-down situations. Instead, the Sooners’ drives stalled after tailbacks were tackled behind the line of scrimmage."

So our expectations, now, are to point out that we played almost as well as the team that beat us again? And now we're calling plays on 3rd down to "create more manageable fourth-down situations" instead of trying to pick up the first down when we're losing? Really Bob?

These answers are an insult to my intelligence as a fan frankly.....

Link to the article: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-oklahomasoffense&prov=ap&type=lgns

Is this acceptable to you Sooner Nation? Or am I just crazy?

olevetonahill
10/7/2009, 08:49 PM
Dont think you have any intelligence :eek:

Breadburner
10/7/2009, 08:55 PM
Will.it.Stop.

StoopTroup
10/7/2009, 08:58 PM
I think someone needs a drink...and I know it ain't OV.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/7/2009, 09:00 PM
I think all of this was covered in the 15 threads merged by dean...

Curly Bill
10/7/2009, 09:02 PM
For the record: I agree with ya mightysooner, but by now even I'm worn out from pointing out what's obvious.

starclassic tama
10/7/2009, 09:03 PM
what if that miami player didn't happen to end up in the same gap as the back while pass rushing on that third and long and we rip off a big gain on the ground? looks like a genius play call, calling what they weren't expecting. hindsight is always 20/20. we got beat. deal with it. win this week and pull one off in dallas and you are looking at a whole different season.

StoopTroup
10/7/2009, 09:05 PM
For the record: I agree with ya mightysooner, but by now even I'm worn out from pointing out what's obvious.

That's ridiculous. We've only just begun to wear you out.

mightysooner
10/7/2009, 09:06 PM
Sorry....not trying to pour redundancy salt in the wounds peeps. Just found this article on yahoo sports and the answers don't sit well with me.....obviously. They're kind of insulting honestly.

Curly Bill
10/7/2009, 09:06 PM
That's ridiculous. We've only just begun to wear you out.

Let us lose another game and I'll be full of p*ss and vinegar again! ;) :D

...unless we lose to the whorns which I fully expect. :(

mightysooner
10/7/2009, 09:08 PM
I think someone needs a drink...and I know it ain't OV.

I am drinking. It's Wednesday.

VA Sooner
10/7/2009, 09:10 PM
I'm through whining... poured salt in my wounds, scotch in my belly and I'm ready for the next game.

olevetonahill
10/7/2009, 09:13 PM
I am drinking. It's Wednesday.

It's Wednesday already ?:eek:

mightysooner
10/7/2009, 09:27 PM
It's Wednesday already ?:eek:

Only for us city folk.

SicEmBaylor
10/7/2009, 09:59 PM
If we beat you on Saturday we'll have to put 3/4 of the state on suicide watch.

I can see the pitchfork brigade making an appearance and marching on Stoops' house with torches blazing. Hell, I might join in on that fun.

goingoneight
10/8/2009, 11:26 AM
So telling the truth is insulting a "fan's" intelligence now?

Sam Bradford >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Landry Jones

2008 OL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2009 OL

Jermaine Gresham >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2009 TEs... do we even have one anymore?

Iglesias, Johnson, Chaney, Broyles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tenell, Caleb, Kenney.

Didn't we have this talk after the 2004 to 2005 dropoff in talent and experience? Oh, yeah... we were all doom and gloom then, too. Thinking we'd never see double-digit wins, BIG 12 Championships and BCS Bowls ever again.

Nate Hybl wasn't Josh Heupel... but he gave it his all and there was a dropoff in big-play capability in Heupel's absence. Even when White was gone. We blamed Mark Mangino. He left... and a few years later won a BCS Bowl... AT KANSAS!

Jacob Gutierrez was not AD, nor was Kejuan Jones.

When you lose signature playmakers by the dozen, be it graduation, injuries, suspensions, whatever... you play the cards you're dealt. And we're dealt a young group on offense right now that needs to execute basic plays before we go telling Landry Jones to air it out all the time. Put an entire game on someone who isn't ready, and isn't ready for no other reason than inexperience... you aren't going to win 65-21. You won't win 45-35. You won't win 39-33.

The only issue that seems to be at hand with this staff is knowing when to roll the dice, when to go all out. There were plenty of sacks, QB hurries and there were two picks against a pretty sharp little QB. There was plenty of tricks and gimmicks to the offensive gameplan Saturday night. Pistol formations, reverses, play-action... but Stoops is damn right. You make up for inexperience with execution. This means not whiffing on blocks, not holding, not jumping off-sides, CATCHING PERFECTLY THROWN PASSES and the like. Kevin Wilson shouldn't have to throw the playbook at that mediocre Miami team for OU to win. They once again beat themselves.

OUmillenium
10/8/2009, 11:36 AM
No way we should compare our current team with last year's offense.

We should definitely be able to compare this year's defense with last years.

The article is definitely insulting to knowledgable football fans who don't drink the kool aid.

StoopTroup
10/8/2009, 11:39 AM
Is trusting in Stoops drinking the koolaid or is Bob an idiot?

Leroy Lizard
10/8/2009, 11:46 AM
If the players execute, Wilson looks like a genius. Sure, there was an occasional questionable call, but who is immune to that?

It seems as if fans want Stoops to throw his offensive coordinator under the bus. I fail to see how that improves the situation one iota. Stoops' comments were perfectly in line with a coach dealing with a loss and not trying to point fingers, because pointing fingers does no good.

OUmillenium
10/8/2009, 11:53 AM
Is trusting in Stoops drinking the koolaid or is Bob an idiot?

So it has to be one or the other? No middle ground, huh?

No true Sooner fan will ever accuse Bob of being an idiot. But he and his coordinators are not perfect nor above reproach and have proven this point a bit too often in recent years.

Desert Sapper
10/8/2009, 12:04 PM
goingoneight is on it. We lost our two biggest playmakers from a year ago. Gresham was the only reason we were in the game against UF last year, and we haven't had him at all this year (and unfortunately will never see him in crimson and cream again). Bradford won the Heisman last year and we haven't had him since he got hurt. We lost our only playmaking receiver against Miami, gave up two blown coverage TDs, and still nearly beat Miami in their house. Is Miami overrated? Yes. Is BYU overrated? Of course. Is OU suffering severe personnel turnover issues and injury issues? Most definitely.

But the team is improving. And we haven't played a Big XII game, much less lost one. So, we still could salvage the season. Fear not, Sooner fans...the magic will return soon.

StoopTroup
10/8/2009, 12:09 PM
So it has to be one or the other? No middle ground, huh?

No true Sooner fan will ever accuse Bob of being an idiot. But he and his coordinators are not perfect nor above reproach and have proven this point a bit too often in recent years.

Nope not saying that...

I've just had a few koolaid and sunshine pumper comments thrown my way and I was just wondering if a guy who trusts in Stoops and his winning percentage and ability to win Big XII Championships and get to the Big Show four times and a Bowl Game every year was someone who drinks the koolaid?

It's a question that your already side stepping by asking another question.

The opposite is me saying you've fallen off the bandwagon and you posting 40 times about it.

the_ouskull
10/8/2009, 12:59 PM

I'm not. Right now, only the intelligent are calling it "obvious." Everybody else is calling it someone else's fault. That's the difference between the realists and the sunshine pumpers. The sunshine pumpers think that everybody is fine, and everything is fine, and that we're just a bad break or two away from being undefeated.

http://www.nationofbob.com/images/iraqinuke.jpg

The realists, on the other hand, a group that numbers me amongst the martyred, see, plainly, with our own working eyes and brains, a multitude of problems, as can any intelligent, and rational (aye, there's the rub) fan of football in general, and Oklahoma football in particular. We see these problems, and we don't give a sh*t who caused them, or why they are persisting. We just want them fixed. But, without acknowledgement of the problems, we can't fix the problems...

Bob?

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
10/8/2009, 01:00 PM
...unless we lose to the whorns which I fully expect. :(

I f*cking hate you. Take it back!

the_ouskull

MyT Oklahoma
10/8/2009, 01:19 PM
So.. like.. ah.. who are we playing against this Saturday? Anyone remember? Anyone really care? Just kidding.

I am as disappointed as anyone else about last Saturday night but I for one am ready to kick Baylor around still yet once again. We are the Sooners boys and girls and it's time to focus on our next enemy.

P.S. Glad your all Sooners.

Jello Biafra
10/8/2009, 01:51 PM
If the players execute, Wilson looks like a genius. Sure, there was an occasional questionable call, but who is immune to that?

It seems as if fans want Stoops to throw his offensive coordinator under the bus. I fail to see how that improves the situation one iota. Stoops' comments were perfectly in line with a coach dealing with a loss and not trying to point fingers, because pointing fingers does no good.

http://images6.cafepress.com/product/280689426v7_350x350_Front.jpg