PDA

View Full Version : The Pistol Formation...?

Blues1
10/7/2009, 10:23 AM
Tell me I'm Wrong, But watching the U game on the internet (Not a Great Video experience) ~ Didn't I see OU in "The Pistol Formation" at least 2 or 3 times...?

What to you Think...?

boomermagic
10/7/2009, 10:24 AM
Tell me I'm Wrong, But watching the U game on the internet (Not a Great Video experience) ~ Didn't I see OU in "The Pistol Formation" at least 2 or 3 times...?

What to you Think...?

Pistol ?

StoopTroup
10/7/2009, 10:25 AM
So...Baylor is a target?

Werks fer me. :D

Even if we don't get past the whorn this year...it will be fun watching Bob fire a few shots into bevo again. :D

setem
10/7/2009, 10:27 AM
Nope you are not wrong. I cant remember how well it worked for us us but I am a big fan of the Pistol. It gets the ball in the RB's hands sooner so he can see the holes opening up instead of closing down. When saw it I thought KW was making strides to change it up...same ole BS! I hope we see more of the pistol though!

unbiasedtruth
10/7/2009, 10:28 AM
pistol..... qb is in the shotgun, rb directly behind the qb by 2-3 yards, not off to the left or right of the qb....

StoopTroup
10/7/2009, 10:29 AM
Are we a Semi-Auto or a Revolving Cylinder?

o0Dan0o
10/7/2009, 10:40 AM

Right now, I'd say were a single shot .22...

IronHorseSooner
10/7/2009, 10:52 AM

Pellet gun?

OUTrumpet
10/7/2009, 11:00 AM
pistol..... qb is in the shotgun, rb directly behind the qb by 2-3 yards, not off to the left or right of the qb....

The quarterback also lines up closer to the center in the normal pistol.

It's typicall a 3-4 yard difference between qb and center, and then another 2-3 for the rb. Also gets the ball carrier some momentum and some time to accelerate with 1-2 steps as opposed to getting the ball and just taking off.

mehip
10/7/2009, 11:01 AM
Yeah, I commented on it earlier this week as one of the positives I saw out of the offense last Saturday. It will help take some heat off the QB and keep the running game downhill. Also, and this depends on Wilson putting it in, it adds a bit of a veer option to the offense (at least that is how Nevada ran it). Makes a lot of sense with the problems we have on the O line. I hope to see Sam &/or Landry run it more for Baylor this week.

StoopTroup
10/7/2009, 11:11 AM
Pellet gun?

But are we a semi-auto or a revolver?

http://www.bbgunworld.com/store/usrimage/cr357kitimage.jpg

Jdog
10/7/2009, 04:23 PM

So what you're saying is the RB is 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage - and he is expected to get to the Line as the hole is opening up. That doesn't make since because he has to run 10 yards before he gets to the line.

I remember the deal with the Wishbone was to have the backs close to the line - FB was a yard behind the QB and he RBs were a yard behind the FB - of course to the left and right. This was so they could get to the hole quicker - before the hole closed down.

Blues1
10/7/2009, 07:00 PM
So what you're saying is the RB is 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage - and he is expected to get to the Line as the hole is opening up. That doesn't make since because he has to run 10 yards before he gets to the line.

I remember the deal with the Wishbone was to have the backs close to the line - FB was a yard behind the QB and he RBs were a yard behind the FB - of course to the left and right. This was so they could get to the hole quicker - before the hole closed down.

From What I've seen ~ Looks to the RB is about 8 to 9 yards behind the line of Scrimmage directly behind The QB --- But it might be 10 Yards..?? -- I Like it, at least I've seen Nevada have some interesting plays with it In the Past...
Look for it during the Baylor Game.... I think we may see some more...~ ~!

VA Sooner
10/7/2009, 09:33 PM
Great for a person with good vision and runaway speed.

See how far back Peterson has to play with the Vikings? That's to give the line and QB enough time to get the ball and be able to pivot a bit to get the ball in his hands before he's already halfway down the field.

Curly Bill
10/7/2009, 09:36 PM
Not at all a fan of the pistol formation.