PDA

View Full Version : What is Sam's Injury Exactly?

soonerspudman
10/6/2009, 05:54 PM
Apologies if already posted, didn't see it, check this out for more information on a grade 3 AC sprain, gives some indication of what Sam's dealing with right now and also indicates possible surgical repair requirement.

http://www.conquestchronicles.com/special/The_Shoulder_Sprain

rawlingsHOH
10/7/2009, 08:41 AM
Shoulders are extreme difficult to diagnose and predict.

Even MRIs can miss a lot of stuff.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/7/2009, 09:04 AM
By the looks of the grade III - I wonder why he isn't getting surgery. I mean a 20% decrease in bench lift strength and such for him would be significant. It would seem that from a long haul career move, surgery and recovery would be best for Sam.

Something in his comments seem to lead me to think he'll work on it a little more, but he may be more inclined to surgeryand look forward to the combines next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we do not see Sam in a Sooner uniform again.

rawlingsHOH
10/7/2009, 09:09 AM
Something in his comments seem to lead me to think he'll work on it a little more, but he may be more inclined to surgeryand look forward to the combines next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we do not see Sam in a Sooner uniform again.

Or perhaps, he sees returning next year (with a more experienced team around him) as a chance to build back any fallen stock.

yermom
10/7/2009, 09:16 AM
i think that it means 17% have a reduced bench press after a year, not that their bench press is reduced by 17%

that seems like a hard thing to measure though

TheHumanAlphabet
10/7/2009, 09:34 AM
Or perhaps, he sees returning next year (with a more experienced team around him) as a chance to build back any fallen stock.

I hear you, but his latest Jokelahoman story he (or the author) mentioned combines...

sluggo sooner
10/7/2009, 09:36 AM
A grade III shoulder sprain is what was once called a separated shoulder - which is the collar bone separating from the shoulder. When the shoulder is separated, the capsule and ligaments that surround the joint have been torn and the ends of the acromion or the clavicle are not in the proper position. I sustained this injury in college (landed on my elbow like Sam), and was advised to let the shoulder heal in place. As a result, I have to this day (30 years later) a knot on the top of my shoulder where my collar bone sticks up a little more than normal, and that arm hangs down a little lower than the other. It was not an injury to my throwing arm (not that it would have mattered), and I was not a great athlete. So, there was never any question about having surgery. It would not have made much of a difference in my case.

It hurts like the devil. See linky for an illustration.

http://www.shouldersolutions.com/ac_3.php

StoopTroup
10/7/2009, 10:15 AM
Anyone see anything that might resemble Sam's treatment?

The first goal of treatment is to make the patient comfortable, by placing the arm in a sling and applying an ice pack to the shoulder.

Good stuff Sluggo.

sluggo sooner
10/7/2009, 04:01 PM
The linked article gives a 6-8 week recovery time for the grade III sprain. 4 weeks might have been just a tad optimistic, even with a top training staff.