PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with Bowden?

Collier11
10/6/2009, 12:59 PM
I understand he is a legend, I understand he made Florida state football, gave them tons of money, helped raise tons of money, etc... the bottom line is since the 2000 natl title loss he is 68-36.

At alot of schools that would be acceptible but FSU now sees themselves as a natl power, since that year we beat them they have lost more 3 or more every year and lost 5 or more 4 times.

Im sorry but I would ask him to step down after this year

Widescreen
10/6/2009, 01:01 PM
glue

factory

Mississippi Sooner
10/6/2009, 01:03 PM
Take him out to the beach and sit him in a nice comfy chair with his big straw hat.

Start bringing him cocktails.

Don't stop.

cheezyq
10/6/2009, 01:07 PM
glue

factory

Win.

Okiemofo
10/6/2009, 01:15 PM
I hear they have some really nice retirement homes in Florida...

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 01:22 PM
As long as he's running a clean program (which I have no clue on), I let him write his own ticket.

He built that entire program from scratch.

yermom
10/6/2009, 01:28 PM
they are going to look real dumb if they run him out of town

the ACC ain't what it used to be. losing to Miami and BC isn't that unexpected... he needs to find a QB. they haven't had anyone to speak of since Weinke retired

G8trGr8t
10/6/2009, 01:49 PM
Give him a lifetime contract. We enjoy the clown show.

He hasn't ever run a clean program and his program began to fall apart when his best assistants went elsewhere. He has been nothing more than a figurehead for a number of years and the taxpayers of the state of florida have more than repaid him for what he did at F$U.

If Jimbo isn't head coach by Jan 1, 2010, he gets $5 mil and me thinks the taxpayers would go ballisitic if that happens. F$U athletic department is not finanically independent from the state and their fundraising and recruiting are on a seroius downward slope. They have to do something as they now risk falling behind USF in terms of prestige among recruits.

Blobby will be gone this year, as will Mickey Andrews and Chesty Amato. Jimbo will be head coach next year and the announcement re: him being head coach next year will be coming out shortly. Too many recruits at risk for them not to take care of this sooner rather than later.

prrriiide
10/6/2009, 01:57 PM
Time for him to be pasture-ized...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IS6u0pZVIIQ/SYpVJ2KhAFI/AAAAAAAAErs/r9sk6shZg6Y/s320/horse-pasture.jpg

fadada1
10/6/2009, 02:00 PM
let him go. i don't think he actually coaches anyway.

Collier11
10/6/2009, 02:12 PM
As long as he's running a clean program (which I have no clue on), I let him write his own ticket.

He built that entire program from scratch.

I guess you missed the big academic fraud scandal from LAST YR that cost him 14 victories or the old school Free Shoes University jokes, the JC Penney hijinx and on and on?

badger
10/6/2009, 02:26 PM
It's not his program. College football is a business. Florida State doesn't owe him anything, because Bowden got as much out of Florida State as Florida State got out of him. Now, its gotten to the point that Bowden is getting more out of Florida State than FSU's getting in return, so something's gotta give, and it has to give before 2010, or they'll owe Jimbo $5 mil for nuthin'

Bowden got paid a lot of money to coach. Florida State got a lot of recognition.
Bowden got to coach a game that he loves. Florida State got a team their fans loved to watch.

I think most coaches understand that, but given reports that Bowden sometimes gets his players' names confused (some guys get called 'Charlie Ward,' for example), perhaps his mind is starting to go and thus, he might still think that he's the head of a top-ranked program, winning a lot, recruiting a lot and being adored by fans.

Here's a video of players talking about Bowden's confusion:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hwafWHq6-QU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hwafWHq6-QU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm sure they were just having fun (you have to go near the end to see the Bowden segment), but I'm sure there's a lot of truths in that fun.

FaninAma
10/6/2009, 02:36 PM
Put him in a pair of depends and give him a headset that is tuned into Lawrence Welk when he is on the sidelines.

I'd also move his office into the basement but I'd let him keep his stapler.

humblesooner
10/6/2009, 02:47 PM
He needs to be pushed out of the HC office.
Give him a choice - he can be a special consultant to the Athletic Department, or not.

NormanPride
10/6/2009, 02:48 PM
Give him a "promotion" to Athletic Publicity Director or something. Let him be the face of the school's athletics like he loves to be, but get him off the field.

Mississippi Sooner
10/6/2009, 03:03 PM
Remember when the Sooners won the national championship by beating the Seminoles?

Remember how invincible the Seminoles were supposed to be coming into that game?

Remember how the Seminoles became little more than an afterthought after that night?

That sure seems like a long time ago, now.

Pigface1
10/6/2009, 03:11 PM
he needs to find a QB. they haven't had anyone to speak of since Weinke retired

They had God for a little while a few years ago, Wyat Sexton.

VA Sooner
10/6/2009, 03:23 PM
He has definitely built the program to what it was... but he doesn't run a clean program. He's got a clean boy QB for a good image (Ponder) who's bright and interviews well and stays out of trouble but that's about it.

It would be wise for him to bow out graciously and tell everyone "Thanks for the memories" and step down so he doesn't lose face. Otherwise, it will be an embarrassment for him and the program.

Something that Randy Shannon had a tough job of at Miami but he did clean it up a bit. You know it's bad when Musberger and Herbstreit relay the fact that only 1 Miami player has been arrested this last school year.

Still hate Miami though... the 80's left me with a bad taste in my mouth for that three-year stretch and now it's all back.

SbOrOiNaEnR
10/6/2009, 04:27 PM
Basically, Bowden loyalists still desperately cling to a bizarre "Team of the 90s" alternate reality, where Y2K never happened and Free Shoes still finishes in the Top 5 every year. A good slap across the face would alert them to the fact that it is, in fact, 2009.

Bowden is a legend in the state of Florida, and is one of the game's greatest coaches, past or present. But it's time for him to go gently into that good night.

ashley
10/6/2009, 07:30 PM
The board guy should have never should have made this public no matter how he felt.

Crucifax Autumn
10/6/2009, 09:04 PM
Same thing I've always wanted to do to him...Swift kick in the ***.

DBrown
10/6/2009, 09:20 PM
He'd be warmly welcomed to continue practicing his hobby at UAB!
What would either party have to lose?

SoonerNate
10/6/2009, 10:21 PM
http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20091006/125933.gif

Lott's Bandana
10/7/2009, 06:32 AM
When I taught at FSU in the mid-90's, it was all I could do to keep my food down when I saw the abject lawlessness that was their athletic program, namely football.

Barry Switzer was a trip to the Principal's office, compared to the San Quentin activities that went on in the Burt Reynolds Athletic Dorm.

Tallahassee is an island, virtually ignored by the national media and Bobby is not just King, but a demi-god. He has been a figurehead for that program for decades, with the funny Abe Lemon-like quips and cute accent, all the while the ship keeps sailing towards that iceberg at flank speed.

Bobby should have gone a long time ago, but one of his reasons for staying is his legacies never made it anywhere near the mentor, and therefore he has felt he has had to continue to carry the torch (spotlight) all these years.

beer4me
10/7/2009, 07:01 AM
He should have been let go many years ago IMO. But because I don't care a thing about FSU they can keep him until hell freezes over.

badger
10/7/2009, 07:29 AM
Maybe he could pull a Steve Spurrier - go to a program that needs him more than the program that he made famous does.

Maybe he could pull a Bobby Knight - go to a program where he can have his son as an assistant, where his son will take over in a few years when it's finally time to retire.

In either of these scenarios, Bowden gets to keep coaching, save face, and retire gracefully.

okiewaker
10/7/2009, 07:33 AM
Hire him at ESPN and get rid of Lou.:( :D

badger
10/7/2009, 08:47 AM
Hire him at ESPN and get rid of Lou.:( :D

Lou Holtz is a nice guy. Bobby Bowden? Well, doesn't be bedowngrade the Sooners in every Coaches poll, along with his idiot incompetent coaching sons?

http://i38.tinypic.com/33tgr4h.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
10/7/2009, 08:59 AM
Maybe he could work full time marketing the Bobby Bowden Grill as seen on the Allstate commercial... ;)

OUDoc
10/7/2009, 09:08 AM
They had God for a little while a few years ago, Wyat Sexton.

True. And you'd think God's son would have followed him to FSU instead of Florida.
Makes me think one of them isn't real......

OUmillenium
10/7/2009, 11:45 AM
Bowden "I feel happy!"

Bonk

Jacie
10/21/2009, 07:39 PM
From the Adding-Insult-to-Injury Department, Florida State plays on Thursday night this week . . .

Soonersince57
10/22/2009, 08:44 AM
Take him out to the beach and sit him in a nice comfy chair with his big straw hat.

Start bringing him cocktails.

Don't stop.

I wish someone would do that to me.

Flagstaffsooner
10/22/2009, 11:21 AM
Flush twice.

ELP Sooner
10/22/2009, 05:25 PM
Poison.

goingoneight
10/22/2009, 07:28 PM
Wipe him after taking a huge Mack Brown.

Is that the one? Straight to hell for that one?

Jacie
10/23/2009, 06:20 PM
From the Don't-Pull-the-Plug-On-Him-Just-Yet Department, Seminoles rallied from an 18-point second half deficit to beat previously ranked North Carolina 30-27 . . .

okiewaker
10/23/2009, 06:26 PM
I would hire a female fondler to caress him into engine failure. :D

SoonerLaw09
10/24/2009, 09:18 AM
Throat punch.

Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet.