PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops says it's ridiculous to blame Kevin Wilson.

adoniijahsooner
10/6/2009, 06:40 AM
He seems okay with Wilson's playcalling; I know how I feel about the playcalling, but honestly Bob Stoops is the only one that matters. Read and let's discuss

OU football notebook: Bob Stoops defends offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson

Buzz up! BY JAKE TROTTER, Staff Writer, [email protected]
Published: October 6, 2009

Head coach Bob Stoops came to the aid of offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson, who has been criticized by fans and media for being too conservative in his play-calling during Oklahoma’s 21-20 loss at Miami.

"Those people, I’m sure they’re good play-callers after the fact; they can call plays when they get their team,” Stoops told reporters after Monday’s practice. "Our game plan was what it had been all along; I don’t see where people get that. We went right down the field and scored on the first drive of the game. We were calling those same plays throughout the game.

"They don’t look as good when they’re defended as well or you get a holding call out on the perimeter. I don’t see it that way. I thought we called the game the same really throughout.”

Stoops was asked why after a long punt return in the fourth quarter the Sooners ran on six straight running plays before throwing a short swing pass on third-and-long to DeMarco Murray on OU’s final drive, which ended with a field goal instead of a much-needed touchdown.

"Towards the end, we had been running the ball well,” Stoops said. "We do throw the bubble screen and end up slipping and losing 2 yards. But getting the ball to DeMarco on the perimeter, I don’t call that conservative.”

For those who wanted more passing, Stoops brought up the second play of the second half, when a cornerback blitz forced Landry Jones to fumble, a turnover that one play later led to a Miami touchdown.

"The other night, you drop back to throw the ball. ... we don’t pick up the blitz and the quarterback gets killed and they have the ball,” Stoops said. "That’s what passing the ball did for us on the (second) play of the second half.”

Stoops also scoffed at the notion that Wilson’s play-calling ended up costing OU the game.

Said Stoops: "That’s ridiculous. I can’t even believe that. A lot of people, that’s their opinions. We have one of those jobs that everybody knows how to do. He’s obviously been dealt a difficult hand with all that’s happened, and in the end, he’s the same guy he was a year ago.

"People want to look for excuses. But in the end, (Miami) just out-executed us.”

BROYLES INJURY NOT AS SERIOUS
Slot receiver Ryan Broyles is expected to miss some time after fracturing his left shoulder blade on the Sooners’ second play from scrimmage against Miami.
But Stoops said Monday the fracture isn’t as serious as first thought and Broyles should be out only 2-4 weeks, instead of the original projection of 4-6 weeks.

"Just a hairline fracture that isn’t displaced or anything,” Stoops said. "We’ll just have to see.”

Coming into last weekend, Broyles was leading the nation with seven touchdown grabs. He injured the shoulder on a 37-yard reception that eventually led to a Sooner touchdown. Broyles played with the injury for a few plays, but eventually was taken to the locker room.

With Broyles out, wide receivers coach Jay Norvell indicated Monday that speedy true freshman wideout Jaz Reynolds would play more, with Brandon Caleb swinging over some to the slot.

BEAL EARNS BIG 12 HONORS
Even in a losing effort, defensive end Jeremy Beal earned Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week honors.
Beal came through with his second monster outing, recording three sacks for the second consecutive game. He also added five tackles and knocked down two passes against Miami.

Beal is now third in the nation in sacks. He is also eighth nationally with eight tackles for loss.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/article/3406557#ixzz0T9fUVcO5

Blitzkrieg
10/6/2009, 06:55 AM
Stoops to critics: "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

jduggle
10/6/2009, 07:36 AM
"Our game plan was what it had been all along; I don’t see where people get that. We went right down the field and scored on the first drive of the game. We were calling those same plays throughout the game."

Curly is going to have a field day with this quote.

okiewaker
10/6/2009, 07:42 AM
Irritation level probably gonna be high today at the presser.

JLEW1818
10/6/2009, 07:47 AM
i hate excuses

BUT WE NEED JERMAINE!!! He is our third down option

ouwapiti
10/6/2009, 08:02 AM
so, wilson was calling plays 'in a great way' ?????

fwsooner22
10/6/2009, 08:04 AM
We have been Really Good and Lucky for a number of seasons. We are still darn good but now the luck has run out and injuries have stepped in. That's football ! It's really not much more than that. Afield goal in either game and we are undefeated.

I just don't see the end of the world coming. We can and will still win the Big 12.

OKLA21FAN
10/6/2009, 08:06 AM
This won't turn out well :gary:

PujolsFan
10/6/2009, 08:11 AM
I love our coaching staff... and part of what Bob said is true. You make the calls and the players have to execute. If they do... you're a genius as and OF Coordinator... or DF Coordinator. If they fail to execute... you get sacked for a loss and turnover the ball.

However... I think the biggest fault I see (or it appears from watching the games) is that the OU Coaches fail to make adjustments during the game. Just because it works the first series of the game does not mean it'll work late in the 2nd 1/2 of the game. It would be nice if the OU offense wasn't SO predictable. QB under Center... what's the play??? Uh... running play up the middle or outside... QB in the shot-gun... Draw or pass...

I think had we run a Play-Action on that final drive on 1st or 2nd down w/the QB Under Center... it would have been WIDE open. But it's also easy to 2nd guess a play that doesn't work. Had our O-Line blocked just a bit better on one of those and had DeMarco busted a 30 yard TD run up the gut... then Kevin's a Hero and it was a "great call..."

Hopefully they keep learning and working to get better.

jduggle
10/6/2009, 08:12 AM
I totally agree OU can win the Big 12, but it's going to require matching the game plans to the players strengths, making in-game adjustments, and throwing in a few wrinkles to keep defenses off guard. I'm astonished to read Stoops' quote.

Dan Thompson
10/6/2009, 08:16 AM
This is what bothers me

Stoops told reporters after Monday’s practice. "Our game plan was what it had been all along;...

We don't seem to change with the game, but stick with the 'gameplan' come hell or high water.

Lott's Bandana
10/6/2009, 08:19 AM
For those who wanted more passing, Stoops brought up the second play of the second half, when a cornerback blitz forced Landry Jones to fumble, a turnover that one play later led to a Miami touchdown.

"The other night, you drop back to throw the ball. ... we don’t pick up the blitz and the quarterback gets killed and they have the ball,” Stoops said. "That’s what passing the ball did for us on the (second) play of the second half.”I love Bob and he has the jorb as long as he wants, even though this quote to me indicates:

Tent Fold

I suppose it would be hard to blame him for being squeamish about further injuries and I'm guessing he made a comment on the headset after the fumble that made KW turn Barry Goldwater.

TXBOOMER
10/6/2009, 08:41 AM
Bob said "The other night, you drop back to throw the ball. ... we don’t pick up the blitz and the quarterback gets killed and they have the ball,” Stoops said. "That’s what passing the ball did for us on the (second) play of the second half.”

I can't believe he said that. Are you sure this wasn't an old RC Slocum interview?

iwannabelikesam
10/6/2009, 08:54 AM
Coachspeak. Of course he is not going to say anything else to the media.

The Ghost of Mex
10/6/2009, 08:59 AM
Bob said "The other night, you drop back to throw the ball. ... we don’t pick up the blitz and the quarterback gets killed and they have the ball,” Stoops said. "That’s what passing the ball did for us on the (second) play of the second half.”

I can't believe he said that. Are you sure this wasn't an old RC Slocum interview?

Read between the lines please. He's saying that he does not trust the O line. I don't either. After re-watching the game I noticed just how bad it was at times. No consistency...none, nada...zip zero. Those boys are going to get someone (Sammy B and/or stache’) killed.

Oh, by the way…KW did not miss one block Saturday…I checked.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/6/2009, 09:00 AM
In other news...Kevin Wilson just sent out his resume' for x head coaching job after Bob Stoops gave him a high words of praise in yesterday's presser...

olevetonahill
10/6/2009, 09:01 AM
What the hell does Bob know?
I say can his arse and bring in these Posters who know more and pay em less fer a better product.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/6/2009, 09:03 AM
Read between the lines please. He's saying that he does not trust the O line. I don't either. After re-watching the game I noticed just how bad it was at times. No consistency...none, nada...zip zero. Those boys are going to get someone (Sammy B and/or stache’) killed.

I would agree and this may have limited play calling. Still - Kevin gets way too conservative against teams we are closely matched with. But yeah, the o-line got beat badly against da U, they had great rushes that were never picked up.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/6/2009, 09:04 AM
What the hell does Bob know?
I say can his arse and bring in these Posters who know more and pay em less fer a better product.

I'd take a 4 year contract at 1/2 Bob's pay to coach as good as Blake. ;)

BoomerSooner, esq.
10/6/2009, 09:06 AM
"I thought we called the game the same really throughout.”

C'mon.

44BluesExplosion
10/6/2009, 09:08 AM
Fanatics.

TXBOOMER
10/6/2009, 09:08 AM
I'd take a 4 year contract at 1/2 Bob's pay to coach as good as Blake. ;)

LOL. F The nineties!

kustang619
10/6/2009, 09:10 AM
so, wilson was calling plays 'in a great way' ?????

No...Miami just out-executed us "in a great way"...:rolleyes:

Partial Qualifier
10/6/2009, 09:14 AM
I miss the days when WE out-executed the opponent, and Bob spent his press time being a cocky S.O.B. and not feeling the need to defend his assistants. :(

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 09:18 AM
I miss the days when WE out-executed the opponent, and Bob spent his press time being a cocky S.O.B. and not feeling the need to defend his assistants. :(
Last year was a lot of fun!

setem
10/6/2009, 09:28 AM
"I thought we called the game the same really throughout.”

He just identified the damn problem! No adjustments at all! I can't believe this came out of Bob's mouth.

He should not have to defend his assistants. On any team everyone should be held accountable for the mistakes they make. Players and Coaches alike. KW is not a special case. He should not have candy coated it. Either KW makes a change or he is gone simple as that.

bcgvh
10/6/2009, 09:35 AM
"We were calling those same plays throughout the game."
"They don’t look as good when they’re defended."

I love Bob and I never want to see the guy leave us, but this is the problem right here, summed up perfectly by the man himself. That's usually what happens when you run the same plays throughout the game...they eventually become defended...this goes back to our staff being so cocky that they feel they CAN run the same plays over and over again, and as long as we "execute" we'll continue to be successful. I just don't understand why they fail to make adjustments.

IronHorseSooner
10/6/2009, 09:37 AM
The adjustments issue is something that folks of other fan bases and commentators have stated about our program. It seems as if there is a "he!! or high water" mentality, and the teams with either great coaches or great players (in the case of some of our bowl games, there have been both) can exploit that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. On the one hand, every time we played Mizzou we kicked the ball to Maclin. We were about the only team that consistently did that. We had guys who could stop him, and it looked good. On the other hand, we had the other night, which I won't go into terrible detail. I believe that we have a great head coach, and our coordinators are decent. OUr position coaches are hit-or-miss, but for the most part are good, some really good (Heupel and Shipp in particular). I think that these guys can find it again.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2009, 09:41 AM
I agree with Bob for the most part.. Some plays I was like WTF, but this offense is just limited right now

NormanPride
10/6/2009, 09:44 AM
Agreed, STEP. I don't disagree with the concept of the O right now, just the specific calls. I thought running the ball was probably the right thing to do, but we just didn't call the RIGHT runs. As in, no more of that crappy delay draw. Ugh.

adoniijahsooner
10/6/2009, 09:49 AM
Agreed, STEP. I don't disagree with the concept of the O right now, just the specific calls. I thought running the ball was probably the right thing to do, but we just didn't call the RIGHT runs. As in, no more of that crappy delay draw. Ugh.

I couldnt believe he kept running that play.:confused:

adoniijahsooner
10/6/2009, 09:55 AM
The only problem I have is that we don't run with a lead blocker. If we cant run the offense that Kevin Wilson wants to run, then drop the no huddle, line up in the power I with Clapp and Eldridge and just be physical. Out of that formation you can play action pass, run sweeps, go deep occasionally, or run up the middle. You still have options and it doesnt look so bad, because it's just basic football. We did that 3 years ago and won a big 12 Championship, why not try it again?

Scott D
10/6/2009, 11:41 AM

I love Bob and I never want to see the guy leave us, but this is the problem right here, summed up perfectly by the man himself. That's usually what happens when you run the same plays throughout the game...they eventually become defended...this goes back to our staff being so cocky that they feel they CAN run the same plays over and over again, and as long as we "execute" we'll continue to be successful. I just don't understand why they fail to make adjustments.

you do realize that for the most part every team essentially runs the same plays over and over, they just either line up differently or switch primary reads on those plays.

CtheB
10/6/2009, 11:44 AM

Ahhh, from the Kelvin Sampson guidebook: "When the ball goes in the bucket, you look good. When it doesn't, you don't look so good."

I'm not calling for heads, but the staff shouldn't get a free pass this year due to the injuries. They are paid to coach around them. Granted, they will limit the team's ability to realize all of its goals, and do it in as "great a way" as they might have with a team at full strength, but the two areas of the team causing most of the problems, offensive line and defense, have gone (pretty much) injury free.

Fact is, in a conference as thin as the Big 12, a program like ours should never experience less than a 9 or 10 win season. There is a downfall somewhere, either in recruiting, coaching or evaluation. It's Bob's job to find out where the breach occurs and fix it.

We still can win 9 or 10 games, but it will be amazing if this team gets to 8 in its current state. Has to win 6 of 8, and still has Texas, Aggie, and road trips to the three L's. I hope they can pull it together, but defending your help rather than challenging your help won't get it done in my opinion.

Gresho Murford
10/6/2009, 11:56 AM

You are not taking his quote the right way.

I love stoops

Okiemofo
10/6/2009, 01:22 PM
Bob isn't going to condemn Wilson in public. Not going to happen so don't look for it. .. Stoops told everyone exactly what happened...called the same plays all night. Do we not understand that? Even on OU's last drive while running out of time, bad field position, and losing Wilson called two run plays and a failed swing pass. And we punt HOPING to make a great defensive stop and getting the ball back. Thats what I call great coaching decisions...

stoopified
10/6/2009, 04:09 PM
I'd take a 4 year contract at 1/2 Bob's pay to coach as good as Blake. ;)You can't be serious.At what point has Bob gone 12-22?Hell Bob has only 26 losses in 10+ seasons.

stoopified
10/6/2009, 04:17 PM
You are not taking his quote the right way.

I love stoops
Funny thing THAT is the way great coaches coach.Bud ran the Split T offensea basic option offense for 17 years,he won 145 games and 3 NC doing the same thing over and over.Barry Switzer ran the Wishbone almost exclusively for 16 seasons and won 157 games and 3 NC,doing the same thing over and over.

StoopTroup
10/6/2009, 04:29 PM
I tried to tell all you dumbasses. :D

SoonerLB
10/6/2009, 04:32 PM

You forgot the 'come hell or high water' part. ;)

soonerspudman
10/6/2009, 05:23 PM

Actually appeared to be Clapp who missed the blitz pickup on that play, but same difference, overall the O has been very inconsistent this year, injuries have been big but you could see it in the 1H v. BYU, the O would just look deer-in-the-headlights on several plays, same thing v. Miami. Hopefully they will gel during the year.

But no matter what Stoops says, it was clear in Q4 we were afraid to pass and Miami was setting their D accordingly and stuffing the run.

TMcGee86
10/6/2009, 05:23 PM
You can't be serious.At what point has Bob gone 12-22?Hell Bob has only 26 losses in 10+ seasons.

I think he meant he could coach as good as Blake.

I Am Right
10/6/2009, 06:07 PM
I was upset with Wilson also, however after listening to Stoops press conference today, my mind has been changed. I think Stoops knows more about it than I do.

the_ouskull
10/6/2009, 06:18 PM
However... I think the biggest fault I see (or it appears from watching the games) is that the OU Coaches fail to make adjustments during the game.

See guys, even the noob gets it. I've been saying this sh*t for, well, basically, since 2003ish...

The seed was planted! Soylent Green is...

..ridiculous. Good post, though, guy.

the_ouskull

FaninAma
10/6/2009, 07:13 PM
"Our game plan was what it had been all along; I don’t see where people get that. We went right down the field and scored on the first drive of the game. We were calling those same plays throughout the game."
Yeah, Miami's coaches will back you up on that, Bob.
That's why they put 9 and ten within 5 yards of the
line of scrimmage......to shut down your running and
short passing game.

Alum81
10/6/2009, 07:46 PM
"People want to look for excuses. But in the end, (Miami) just out-executed us.”

speaks volumes!

IronSooner
10/6/2009, 09:08 PM
What I wonder is, why in the world do we never roll the QB out on bootlegs? We NEVER do this. If you're getting pressure and don't have time to throw deep, throw short crossing routes or roll the QB out so half the line doesn't have to hold as long.

Look at Miami. We got in their face early and often, so they started throwing short. Bingo. Why can't we do that? Why won't we?

StoopTroup
10/6/2009, 09:15 PM
Maybe the players don't adjust to what the Coaches ask them to do.

SoonerObsession
10/6/2009, 09:29 PM
I will take Wilson over Chuck Long any day. But this year Wilson has lost his mind! Just because Landry gets the ball stripped on a pass play once, doesn't mean you just quit passing. That was a freak play. How in the world our full back missed the end coming around the corner blows my mind. The 4th quarter drive where we ran 7 running plays in a row, was a gift to Miami. I'm sure their defensive coaches were thinking "Wow! Thanks for making our jobs easier!" Even Herbstreit was saying that it was the perfect time to call a play action pass because Miami was loading the box. I understand Stoops has to keep things positive in interviews, but I bet if you got the truth out of him he did not agree with how Wilson called that game.

AzianSooner
10/6/2009, 09:59 PM
There is always another year ...

and another 3.6 million dollar.

Curly Bill
10/6/2009, 10:00 PM

Curly is going to have a field day with this quote.

Too easy. ;)

We ran the same plays throughout the game. LOL

Yeah, like no **** sherlock. :O

SoonerNate
10/6/2009, 10:26 PM
Perhaps if Bob would make ADJUSTMENTS!!!

Curly Bill
10/6/2009, 10:27 PM
Perhaps if Bob would make ADJUSTMENTS!!!

Bob makes FRIENDS, he doesn't make ADJUSTMENTS!!!

Scott D
10/6/2009, 10:39 PM
I will take Wilson over Chuck Long any day. But this year Wilson has lost his mind! Just because Landry gets the ball stripped on a pass play once, doesn't mean you just quit passing. That was a freak play. How in the world our full back missed the end coming around the corner blows my mind. The 4th quarter drive where we ran 7 running plays in a row, was a gift to Miami. I'm sure their defensive coaches were thinking "Wow! Thanks for making our jobs easier!" Even Herbstreit was saying that it was the perfect time to call a play action pass because Miami was loading the box. I understand Stoops has to keep things positive in interviews, but I bet if you got the truth out of him he did not agree with how Wilson called that game.

with the way the left side of the line was getting whipped nearly every down I don't think that play action would have opened up very much.

boomersooner28
10/7/2009, 12:23 AM
I guarantee you that we see a run-n-gunnin throwin deep and all around wide open offense this week against Baylor. Then, we are all gonna be like "where tha hell was that play last week?"

SoonerNate
10/7/2009, 01:15 AM
I guarantee you that we see a run-n-gunnin throwin deep and all around wide open offense this week against Baylor. Then, we are all gonna be like "where tha hell was that play last week?"

Yes. He'll do it against crap teams. But he won't take chances against athletic teams. It makes me sick that I attended a game that Bob tried to stall out. I honestly don't understand it. We'll win 60-3 next week and everyone will bow at his great coaching prowl. Not me. Make adjustments, Bob. Quit being scared. You know why we don't win our bowl games? It's because the teams we play in January aren't Idaho State, Tulsa, or Baylor.

SoonerLB
10/7/2009, 03:00 AM
Note to Bob and his minion KW:

I am reminded of another fearless leader, that come hell or high water, stuck sternly to his game plan, only to pay the price of defeat.

His name was Custer!

Maybe an adjustment screw on the game plan might not be too bad of an idea. ;)

StoopTroup
10/7/2009, 08:18 AM
Custer was a Egomaniac. Stoops...not so much.

brigadeer
10/7/2009, 12:22 PM
Custer was a Egomaniac. Stoops...not so much.

Are you sure about that?

StoopTroup
10/7/2009, 12:26 PM
Are you sure about that?

Absolutely. There's no doubt.

Also he doesn't wear his hair long or wear a stache & he wears a visor instead of a large brimmed hat.

Another thing....

Custer's style of battle was often claimed to be reckless or foolhardy and Bob is usually criticized for being to conservative.

SoonerLB
10/7/2009, 12:32 PM
Dang it ST! Ya just had to go and bring up the hair and clothes thing didn' ya. :D