PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Penalty?

Sooner70
10/6/2009, 05:25 AM
Can anybody quote the rule, so's we can see the intent? Reason I'm asking, I watched the LSU-GA Game, and it seemed that that call on the receiver when GA got it's TD within the last few minutes was a stretch. Even the announcers were dumbfounded.

Then the refs compounded the apparent error by calling one on LSU when they scored. It looked even dumber then.

What's the intent of the rule? I thought it was when the player taunted, took excessive time & did tasteless showmanship drawing attention to himself, but I really don't know.

To me, it seems the refs are taking something out of college FB when they do this. Part of the attraction of college FB is the emotion, excitement & atmosphere that's created. Granted, it needs to stay within reasonable bounds. I guess they want everybody to be a Quinton Griffin, who invariably shrugged (no matter how good a play he made) and tossed the ball to the ref and trotted away. That's admirable, but everybody can't contain themselves like Q did.

prrriiide
10/6/2009, 06:07 AM
It falls under rule 9-2:

Unsportsmanlike Acts
ARTICLE 1. There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct or any act
that interferes with orderly game administration on the part of players,
substitutes, coaches, authorized attendants or any other persons subject to
the rules, before the game, during the game or between periods.
a. Specifically prohibited acts and conduct include:
1. No player, substitute, coach or other person subject to the rules shall
use abusive, threatening or obscene language or gestures, or engage
in such acts that provoke ill will or are demeaning to an opponent, to
game officials or to the image of the game, including but not limited
to:
(a) Pointing the finger(s), hand(s), arm(s) or ball at an opponent, or
imitating the slashing of the throat.
(b) Taunting, baiting or ridiculing an opponent verbally.
FR-122 RULE 9-2 / CONDUCT OF PLAYERS AND OTHERS SUBJECT TORULE
(c) Inciting an opponent or spectators in any other way, such as
simulating the firing of a weapon or placing a hand by the ear to
request recognition.
(d) Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by
which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon
himself (or themselves).
(e) Obviously altering stride as an unopposed runner approaches
the opponent’s goal line, or diving into the end zone when
unopposed.
(f) Removal of a player’s helmet before he is in the team area
(Exceptions: Team, media or injury timeouts; equipment
adjustment; through play; between periods; and during a
measurement for a first down).
(g) Punching one’s own chest or crossing one’s arms in front of the
chest while standing over a prone player.
(h) Going into the stands to interact with spectators, or bowing at the
waist after a good play.

I didn't see anything in the LSU-UGA game that looked like any of that.

sooner518
10/6/2009, 07:36 AM
an absolutely moronic call which DID influence the outcome of the game IMO.

badger
10/6/2009, 07:51 AM
This was the SEC officials saying "Hey, Oklahoma State sucks, and Georgia lost to Oklahoma State, so let's give the win to the team with the better ranking and better chance at the title!"

:rolleyes:

Lott's Bandana
10/6/2009, 08:21 AM
I heard the SEC apologized for a bad call last Saturday, I'm guessing it might be this one.

olevetonahill
10/6/2009, 09:05 AM
I say that ****ing rule needs to be tossed out

kustang619
10/6/2009, 09:20 AM

I thought the call had an influence on the game as well...

SONofa47straitSOONER
10/6/2009, 11:38 AM
Yes, I saw that rule called twice in the LSU/Georgia game, and in another game. It's got to go. People are not robots. And when a TD is scored in the final minutes of a game that changes the lead, a team is going to get excited.

It would appear whoever made that rule, never played the game. Please, someone with some authority, take a stand and clearly rewrite that rule.

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 11:54 AM
Horrible, horrible, call.

Then to make matters/officiating worse, they do it again (to LSU), just to "even" the score!

westbrooke
10/6/2009, 12:06 PM
I heard the SEC apologized for a bad call last Saturday, I'm guessing it might be this one.

Yep. They admitted the call after AJ Green's touchdown was in error. And if you watched the game, it was pretty clear the call after LSU's go-ahead touchdown was a makeup for this one. Bad, bad officiating.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2009, 12:23 PM
Yep. They admitted the call after AJ Green's touchdown was in error. And if you watched the game, it was pretty clear the call after LSU's go-ahead touchdown was a makeup for this one. Bad, bad officiating.

Exactly, but it was too late for the makeup to help UGA. I agree with the taunting part of the rule, otherwise it is ridiculous. CFB is a game of passion.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2009, 12:43 PM
From Pat Forde's ESPN Column on apologies we'd like to see: :)
-----
Southeastern Conference officials (7): "We admit it. We have no idea what we're doing from minute to minute when it comes to flagging excessive celebration. We threw a bad flag on Georgia's A.J. Green on Saturday, helping decide the outcome of the Bulldogs' game against LSU. There, we said it. Fortunately, Georgia fans will only hold it against us for the next 50 years. If it was Alabama, they'd hold it against us for a century."

HolaKyle
10/6/2009, 12:49 PM
Should the "G" rule apply to when the Miami player stood over Murray and celebrated after his big hit?

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 12:52 PM
Should the "G" rule apply to when the Miami player stood over Murray and celebrated after his big hit?
I was surprised on that one.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2009, 01:22 PM

I think so. As I said, I fully support the taunting clause.

HolaKyle
10/6/2009, 01:53 PM
I think so. As I said, I fully support the taunting clause.

I'm just wondering why it wasn't called. I was sitting on the 2nd to the last row on the 2nd level of the stadium and saw the taunt.

47straight
10/6/2009, 01:58 PM
Linkage to the play?

westcoast_sooner
10/6/2009, 02:07 PM
I was at the game - NOBODY, I repeat NOBODY understood that penalty. I read where the officials seemed to think that the celebration was excessive and the player tried to draw attention to himself, but heck, the guy had just scored a TD in a tight ballgame in a crucial situation - whaddya expect?

OUMallen
10/6/2009, 02:20 PM
I couldn't find a link on youtube.

SoonerLB
10/6/2009, 02:20 PM
The 'ewe' could have had several probably, home field was good to them.

As to the rule, it has been in place long enough, and I'm pretty sure ALL coaches continually try and pound it into player's heads to hand the ball to the refs and get back to the sideline as quickly as possible to avoid such penalties, but there is always some individual that thinks HE is more important than the team, and therefore costs his team for his antics. Sometimes you just can't coach stupid.

On the other hand, it did seem the refs in that LSU Georgia game had a hair trigger, I've seen a lot worse examples go un-penalized in other games.

OKLA21FAN
10/6/2009, 02:35 PM
for the record: :pop:

ILLEGAL EXCESSIVE CELEBRATION:

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac19/danceranswer/NewBitmapImage.jpg

Not Illegal Excessive Celebration:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0632/6779/17_feature.jpg
http://www.dailyballbreakers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tim-tebow-pray.jpg

SoonerLB
10/6/2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah but .................... he's jus' wavin' to his daddy! ;)

Rhino
10/6/2009, 04:53 PM
Excessive excessive celebration penalties.

Rhino
10/6/2009, 04:55 PM
Also, Les Miles is the devil.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs223.snc1/7019_733369983607_9615683_41619091_1770150_n.jpg

OUMallen
10/6/2009, 05:06 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/RxjvczUfvkI/AAAAAAAADDU/u_xppd0YEm0/s400/LesMiles.jpg

Sooner70
10/6/2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks Prrriide.....I learned something from that rule posting. Seems pretty tight, but the LSU guy didn't fit any of what's described. I saw in the paper this morning where the SEC officially said the official blew it.

What I don't understand is why these refs can't think, even after they throw the flag, and like '...uh oh....I shouldn't have done that"....and just consult with the others and wave it off...."no flag"....Why don't they do that?

It's like Stoops said after the Oregon game a few years back. Players don't get to do it again. Refs and replay officials have a chance to reflect, run it by again and get it right. I just don't understand why they don't.

If I was a GA fan I'd still be pissed. It ain't right.

missann
10/6/2009, 10:11 PM
There was another call earlier in the game on a Georgia receiver. He was just encouraging the crowd b/c they were finally moving the ball. GA ended up with a TD on that drive, but it was still a silly call.

The announcers were saying if the player turns to the crowd then the ref can throw the flag. In all instances, the player face the crowd for a nanosecond. Still beyond stupid. The college game is great b/c of the emotion.

DBrown
10/6/2009, 11:14 PM
The selective "enforcement" of that penalty is what should grind
everyone's gears!
This started following the U-Miami/California game in 1989.
After 20 years, I'm thinking it's time to revisit that rule and
KILL IT!

prrriiide
10/7/2009, 01:48 AM
There was another call earlier in the game on a Georgia receiver. He was just encouraging the crowd b/c they were finally moving the ball. GA ended up with a TD on that drive, but it was still a silly call.

The announcers were saying if the player turns to the crowd then the ref can throw the flag. In all instances, the player face the crowd for a nanosecond. Still beyond stupid. The college game is great b/c of the emotion.

How can they possibly enforce that equitably? Some schools have crowds in the end zone, some don't. Does that mean they can't look anywhere??

http://smileydatabase.com/s/317.gif

DBrown
10/10/2009, 01:29 AM
Well now....let's see what goes down this Saturday night in Baton Rouge.

prrriiide
10/10/2009, 02:12 AM
Well now....let's see what goes down this Saturday night in Baton Rouge.

You mean besides the Gayters/teabag? Or their moms?

Sooner-In-The-Swamp
10/10/2009, 11:04 AM
Do they call a celebration penalty on Tebow for his famous "gaytor chomp" he taunts other teams with? I don't remember any penalties for that.

Speaking of that stupid gaytor chomp; I was watching a pro game a couple of weeks ago (don't remember what teams were playing) and everytime this guy made a good play, it looked like he was doing the chomp. My husband commented on it also and I said it has to be a player from UF. When we looked up the roster, sure enough, the guy had been drafted from UF. Come on, you're not in UF anymore; enough with the stupid chomp. You don't see Adrian out there calling "Boomer Sooner" whenever he makes a touchdown.