PDA

View Full Version : The Secondary

TJKDone
10/6/2009, 04:03 AM
I haven't seen OU play this year and am surprised to read that the secondary is having trouble in coverage at times.

Injury problems and experience at OL are pretty well documented, but the secondary? Is this just journalists wanting to talk or do you have trouble behind the nation's most fearsome front seven?

You will be tough to beat in the RRS. I am sure Bradford and Co will be ready to play.

Hook'em

JLEW1818
10/6/2009, 07:42 AM
It will be a tough contest

we will need to catch some breaks along the way

like maybe one of OUr guys running back a kickoff

gaylordfan1
10/6/2009, 07:47 AM
Yeah, what is the deal with Franks this year? I thought he would blanket every WR we face! He had the INT against Miami, but continues to get beat deep.... BYU/Miami. Didn't expect to see that this year.

Dan Thompson
10/6/2009, 08:27 AM
It seems to me that we play off the receivers too far. A lot of the time we are 10 yards or more off the receiver.

I thought BV moved the backs up during the 4th quarter and that seemed to help.

How can you intercept a pass in the flats if your 10 yards off the receiver?

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 09:14 AM
I haven't seen OU play this year and am surprised to read that the secondary is having trouble in coverage at times.

Injury problems and experience at OL are pretty well documented, but the secondary? Is this just journalists wanting to talk or do you have trouble behind the nation's most fearsome front seven?

You will be tough to beat in the RRS. I am sure Bradford and Co will be ready to play.

Hook'em
The secondary has played close to outstanding for most of the season, safeties and corners. Franks had one huge bust against BYU, and a miscommunication against Miami, both resulted in TDs.

Our struggles against the ball in the air have mainly been due to match-up issues. The other team will run athletes in the zones of our backers, and we can't keep up. Not really a "secondary" issue.

NormanPride
10/6/2009, 09:30 AM
Safeties have been a pleasant surprise. But Franks, our best corner, has a tendency to fall asleep out there. He really needs to work on his focus, because when he's on he's the best on the field.

The LBs are, as usual, our woes in pass coverage.

goingoneight
10/6/2009, 01:01 PM
Venables made a couple of surprise adjustments vs TU swapping the safeties and corners to opposite spots. But we played Dom back at field on Saturday and that's usually the easiest throw with 1-on-1 coverage for any QB to make, especially when said coverage bites on play-action. A corner can't "play disciplined when his front seven are constantly letting guys through.

TJKDone
10/6/2009, 01:02 PM
Safeties have been a pleasant surprise. But Franks, our best corner, has a tendency to fall asleep out there. He really needs to work on his focus, because when he's on he's the best on the field.

The LBs are, as usual, our woes in pass coverage.

How has the nickel been? Which of the LB's comes off when you are playing it? I assume Reynolds, but again I haven't seen OU play this year.

Hook'em

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 01:20 PM
How has the nickel been? Which of the LB's comes off when you are playing it? I assume Reynolds, but again I haven't seen OU play this year.

Hook'em
Basically a 4-2-5 base nickel, with Keenan Clayton is the nickel back.

Against pro-style teams, like Miami, or in short yardage situations, he plays the SAM backer position. But he struggles at the point of attack. He's more of a safety-type.