PDA

View Full Version : Issues and Solutions

westcoast_sooner
10/6/2009, 12:06 AM
I've been thinking about the Sooners since Saturday evening. I had a long flight back from Georgia yesterday, so there was a lot of time to consider and mull over things. But there does seem to be a list of things I thought I'd post and see what others here think.

1) Perception: The OL is not good. Overall, this group isn't good, and isn't up to what we expect as fans. But I don't think there is anything wrong with this group that experience won't cure. Unfortunately, there are two other issues here, and neither are going to be acceptable to most. First, experience takes a long time to get. Our line last year was experienced and had worked together for years. These guys will develop too, but likely not this year. Also, the cycle could repeat itself in 3 years if the coaching staff doesn't develop the younger guys better. Losing nearly all of the OL at once, with no real experience ready to step in is unacceptable.

2) Perception: The Defense is horrible. I think overall the defense if pretty good. Not great, mind you, but overall, it has a chance to be VERY good. There are some things as far as scheme that could be different, such as figuring out how to plug the gigantic hole in the middle for the short passes, and disguising blitz packages a little better. But overall, we've got talent here - we just need to find someone to step up on the critical 3rd-and-long to make a play and get the stop.

3) Perception: A lot of people are critical about KW's conservative play calling. IMO, he made some mistakes in the National Championship game, and again Saturday night against Miami. Last year, when we were scoring 60+ points a game, no one was critical of him. My thought here is that Wilson is in uncharted territory and maybe he's just in over his head a little. But in fairness, Wilson has lost nearly his entire OL from last year, Gresham, Bradford, and now one of two or three playmakers, guys he could depend on and he just doens't know who he can trust to be the playmaker. So he turns to running the football, even when the situation doesn't call for it.

Solutions:
Overall, I think all of the issues are solvable - maybe not this year, and we'll have other challenges in 2010, but over time, we'll get back to the top.

As I said, the line will grow up and mature. But we need to have a line rotation that allows young guys to get meaningful playing time while they're young, so that when it's their turn, they aren't rookies. Doesn't solve the chemistry issue as much, but it will get a guy ready.

As for the defense, I think Venables is going to have to alter slightly his schemes. The 2009 Sooners are talented, but need a vocal leader - the one that will inspire the guys to make that critical stop.

Finally, the playcalling will get better when Sam gets back on the field. Assuming Sam is back in the next two weeks, things can open up a little more, as he'll do a better job of reading the D, and making the right decisions. Landry will grow into that the more he plays, but for now, expect the ball to be placed in the hands of the RBs to win the game, control the clock.

Thoughts?

prrriiide
10/6/2009, 12:32 AM
I think you are spot-on with one slight exception.

As for the defense, I think Venables is going to have to alter slightly his schemes.

I don't know if slightly is the word I would use. In a nutshell, he needs to ditch the soft cushion zone as our base D. If we are going to go zone, we have to stop giving the 10-yard cushion at the LOS. That's an automatic first down for any offense with a capable QB and receiver, and an OC with the acumen to call it consistently (like Whipple, Davis, Addazio, Anae). We are going to have to start playing some man at the LOS because BV's scheme leaves the middle wide open to be covered by LBs. When they start exploiting the seams in the zone, our D has to adjust, which we have not been doing.

westcoast_sooner
10/6/2009, 12:59 AM
I guess my thought was that he should ditch the soft cushion SOMETIMES - like on 3rd and short. Like stop telegraphing blitzes. Like put in a true nickel or dime when the situation calls for it. Overall, it's adjustments to the system, not a complete overhaul.

Blues1
10/6/2009, 12:59 AM
All of The Above, Plus ~ Hire Whipple.....