PDA

View Full Version : Should we ditch the no huddle offense?

tulsaoilerfan
10/5/2009, 11:10 PM
What do u think? Doesn't really seem to be working, and it's putting our defense on the field too long; feel free to call me an idiot if it will make you feel better :D

GKeeper316
10/5/2009, 11:37 PM
how to beat the no huddle... (taken from miami's playbook) when your d starts to look a little gassed, have a player lay on the field like hes hurt. get your waterboys out on the field with some gatorade, waste a good 3-4 minutes, have him sit out a play, then stick him right back in.

it works. it really does.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2009, 11:39 PM
yeah it does...a lot of teams have done it...miami sure had a lot of players go out of the game satuday night just to come back in later

unbiasedtruth
10/5/2009, 11:43 PM
Okie Lite did it last year in Stillwater starting with about 7-8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. If I remember correctly I saw trhe same Poke defensive lineman leave the game 7-8 times with cramps only to return a play or 2 later

bri
10/5/2009, 11:58 PM
East Carolina was the worst about doing stuff like that against Tulsa last year. Guys would lay motionless for two minutes like they were dead, then they'd hop up and jog off under their own power and be back in two plays. But really, as long as there have been "hurry-up" offenses, there's been defensive players faking injuries to slow the tempo. Anyone remember Seattle doing the same thing against Cincy's offense back in the 80's?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/6/2009, 12:00 AM
I remember lots of teams doing it to the bills

Johnny Utah
10/6/2009, 12:01 AM
East Carolina was the worst about doing stuff like that against Tulsa last year. Guys would lay motionless for two minutes like they were dead, then they'd hop up and jog off under their own power and be back in two plays. But really, as long as there have been "hurry-up" offenses, there's been defensive players faking injuries to slow the tempo. Anyone remember Seattle doing the same thing against Cincy's offense back in the 80's?

or florida kicking the ball at the los in the mnc game

MamaMia
10/6/2009, 12:09 AM
What do u think? Doesn't really seem to be working, and it's putting our defense on the field too long; feel free to call me an idiot if it will make you feel better :D

Yeah. To be honest they remind me of the little league kids out there with all that confusing sideline hesitation type stuff going on.

bri
10/6/2009, 12:28 AM
or florida kicking the ball at the los in the mnc game

Luckily, Football Jesus forgave them.

prrriiide
10/6/2009, 12:34 AM
No, we should run it the way it was intended, instead of looking like a prairie dog looking for a hawk. The no-huddle is supposed to keep the D off balance. But the way we are running it it might as well be a huddle on the LOS.

westcoast_sooner
10/6/2009, 12:41 AM
In all honesty, I like the no huddle a lot. But I do think we waste time in some cases where we really need to go quickly. Don't get to the line, look over, waste time and slow it down all the time. I do think there is value in slowing things down at times, dictating the tempo. The offense should be dictating things.

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 08:44 AM
how to beat the no huddle... (taken from miami's playbook) when your d starts to look a little gassed, have a player lay on the field like hes hurt. get your waterboys out on the field with some gatorade, waste a good 3-4 minutes, have him sit out a play, then stick him right back in.

it works. it really does.

No doubt.

kustang619
10/6/2009, 09:29 AM
I like the no huddle. The only time that I get fired up about the no huddle is when it is 3rd and 1 and we go up to the line and instead of snapping the ball on a silent count, we have to come out from under center and check with the sidelines and make sure its okay to plunge forward for that 1 little yard. Nothing like allowing the defense to get set on a 3rd and short. ;)

westbrooke
10/6/2009, 10:03 AM
I can see the wisdom in reconsidering this in our current predicament. It seems to me that one of the most valuable things the no-huddle did for us last year is create significant match-up problems when we started moving versatile performers (Gresham, Broyles, Murray) around. We just don't have the personnel right now to create those same match-up problems. We might be better served taking the time to get everyone, particularly the offensive line, on the same page before a snap.

westbrooke
10/6/2009, 10:06 AM
Then again, it would probably be disruptive to change it up now with a fresh QB and OLs out there, maybe enough to negate whatever could be gained from huddling up. I can see it both ways.

Pigface1
10/6/2009, 10:10 AM
Bradford and Landry both seem to be smart guys. Why in the hell won't the coaches allow them to call an audible rather than getting it from the sideline every time?

Jello Biafra
10/6/2009, 10:12 AM
well, what is keeping the offense from working right now? and if we were scoring every time we touched the ball, why would it matter. the difference is, we don't have people catching the ball. seriosuly. if we scored every time we toched the ball vs. miami, we would have won the game like 56 to 21

Jello Biafra
10/6/2009, 10:13 AM
speaking of which, why is it that some teams seem to be catching the ball out of their minds? and we seem to never have that kind of game when it really matterS?

TheHumanAlphabet
10/6/2009, 11:10 AM
No Huddle - work fast offense is good IMO,

the meercat offense sucks - IMO.

FaninAma
10/6/2009, 11:15 AM
With a QB like Bradford running it the no huddle is lethal.
With an inexperienced QB like LJ....not so much.

Stoops needs to do a better job of working the refs concerning the bogus cramps/injuries.

The refs do have the right to charge the team a timeout or delay penalty if they think they are using the fake injuries/cramps to slow down the game.

soonermix
10/6/2009, 11:21 AM
should we ditch the no huddle... no
but would it be ok to huddle up once in a while? sure it would
if we are going to run a big televen style offense especially when we have a lead because wilson has no faith in anybody catching the ball or throwing it for that matter, then we probably should huddle up

Jello Biafra
10/6/2009, 11:24 AM
With a QB like Bradford running it the no huddle is lethal.
With an inexperienced QB like LJ....not so much.

and the difference between the two? experience. we need to get the recievers catching to ball in order for him to get the experience. thats the only difference right now and not much will change when we put sam in if the receivers arent catching then...

yermom
10/6/2009, 11:25 AM
maybe if we aren't gonna thrown downfield we should bring back the 'bone

goingoneight
10/6/2009, 11:30 AM
Still amazes me how many people don't know what a no-huddle offense is.

You could run any play, any style, any set... you're just communicating it differently. When you're not forced into a crazy flukish situation like losing three premier playmakers... it works to the tone of 60 points per game. That doesn't mean a great team like Florida, or a team that catches all the right breaks can't still beat you. You can point to one or two different things about the two losses this year that yes, could make us 4-0... or you can consider the truth that pretty much everything but two touchdowns could have been improved on from last Saturday night.
Holding someone to 21 on the road was something even Mike Stoops struggled with at times. It's not why we lost. Losing a big-time TE on Tuesday when you've gameplanned around him all offseason and then losing the Heisman Trophy winner... as good as our talent may be behind Sam and JG... You're talking a collective six years experience and big-time playmaking gone and a bunch of noobs and 2008 scout teamers left behind to grow up on the fly.

This just isn't a lucky team, and we don't have the schedule to catch all these bad breaks and just walk right through it ala Texass. I think that by beating a pretty good TU team, we proved we're not seriously in trouble ala 2005 or Boo Blake trouble... but double-digit wins, the conference crown race, an oppurtunity to end the bowl drought... the season ain't over. And whether he's 80% or notta, enjoy guys like Sam and GK while you still can. They sacrificed millions for a 2-2 start and all we can do is rip on the coaches who made them who they are in Sooner history.

Jello Biafra
10/6/2009, 11:36 AM
Still amazes me how many people don't know what a no-huddle offense is.

You could run any play, any style, any set... you're just communicating it differently. When you're not forced into a crazy flukish situation like losing three premier playmakers... it works to the tone of 60 points per game. That doesn't mean a great team like Florida, or a team that catches all the right breaks can't still beat you. You can point to one or two different things about the two losses this year that yes, could make us 4-0... or you can consider the truth that pretty much everything but two touchdowns could have been improved on from last Saturday night.
Holding someone to 21 on the road was something even Mike Stoops struggled with at times. It's not why we lost. Losing a big-time TE on Tuesday when you've gameplanned around him all offseason and then losing the Heisman Trophy winner... as good as our talent may be behind Sam and JG... You're talking a collective six years experience and big-time playmaking gone and a bunch of noobs and 2008 scout teamers left behind to grow up on the fly.

This just isn't a lucky team, and we don't have the schedule to catch all these bad breaks and just walk right through it ala Texass. I think that by beating a pretty good TU team, we proved we're not seriously in trouble ala 2005 or Boo Blake trouble... but double-digit wins, the conference crown race, an oppurtunity to end the bowl drought... the season ain't over. And whether he's 80% or notta, enjoy guys like Sam and GK while you still can. They sacrificed millions for a 2-2 start and all we can do is rip on the coaches who made them who they are in Sooner history.

i couldn't tell if this was directed my way or not...but i agree. the no huddle will work with retarded 6.4 type receivers. as long as they catch the ball...if they are catching the ball, the defense will have to respect the pass which in turn opens running lanes opening running lanes will keep the ball moving...

as long as teams continue to line 9 up in the box, it will be a learning year. look at it this way, if the receivers don't start catching consistantly, we will be able to run on anyone in two years and tell them what hole, snap count and whos getting the rock and they wont be able to stop it because we will have plenty of practice blocking 9 people with 6 lineman.

westbrooke
10/6/2009, 12:04 PM
i couldn't tell if this was directed my way or not...

Yeah, looking back at the thread, I didn't see anyone explicitly saying the no-huddle was tied to a specific formation. I'm not sure where that was directed.

I see people saying they wished we played our no-huddle as more of a hurry-up (I always associate this with the Bills from their run of Super Bowls) to keep the defense winded and get a play off before they're set. I was talking about trapping defensive personnel on the field and moving our versatile players to create a mismatch, which is harder to do with so many of those versatile players injured. I thought, with that advantage gone, huddling could possibly be valuable to get all of those offensive lineman looking at the quarterback and each other to settle down and get on the same page.

Obviously, the no-huddle works better with all-americans running the show, and last year's results speak for themselves. I think the question at hand is whether it still makes sense this year with all of the injuries and inexperienced players.

Jacie
10/6/2009, 12:13 PM
It would be kinda nice to see OUr coaches ditch the perpetual third-and-long offense, the no-scoring offense and the can't-score-from-first-and-goal-to-go offense . . .

FaninAma
10/6/2009, 12:37 PM
and the difference between the two? experience. we need to get the recievers catching to ball in order for him to get the experience. thats the only difference right now and not much will change when we put sam in if the receivers arent catching then...

I'm not sure I agree with that. I feel LJ
was very mediocre on recognizing coverage
and picking out the open receivers. Again, it
is probably due to inexperience but even at
comparable stages in their careers Sam had
much better field vision than LJ.

I also feel the receivers are playing better than
they are being given credit for.

So I will maintain that if Sam had not gotten
injured we would be 4-0 right now. I think it
is a bit silly to claim that Sam's presence wouldn't
have been worth at least 3 points to this offense.

Pigface1
10/6/2009, 12:49 PM
I'm not sure I agree with that. I feel LJ
was very mediocre on recognizing coverage
and picking out the open receivers. Again, it

Sam also had more than one or two seconds to read the coverage. He also had Iglesias, Gresham, Kelley, etc.

Jello Biafra
10/6/2009, 01:18 PM
Sam also had more than one or two seconds to read the coverage. He also had Iglesias, Gresham, Kelley, etc.

ding ding ding we have a big time winner....

the first year, sam had

a serious veteran oline
allen patrick
manuel johnson
iggy
kelly
gresham
joe jon finley

not to mention the current group of running backs

now.....landry has ummmm the current group of runningbacks and he had broyles up until halftime of the miami game. id have to say hes doing a pretty damn fine job with that group.

tulsaoilerfan
10/6/2009, 07:54 PM
ding ding ding we have a big time winner....

the first year, sam had

a serious veteran oline
allen patrick
manuel johnson
iggy
kelly
gresham
joe jon finley

not to mention the current group of running backs

now.....landry has ummmm the current group of runningbacks and he had broyles up until halftime of the miami game. id have to say hes doing a pretty damn fine job with that group.

He is doing okay, but it would be nice if Sam had not gotten hurt :D

Pigface1
10/7/2009, 09:51 AM
he had broyles up until the third play of the miami game

Fixed. lol I think Landry will be fine whenever it's his time and look forward to Sam coming back. With that said, it doesn't matter if Tom Brady is back there if blitzes aren't getting picked up and receivers don't catch the ball. It's frustrating for a fan, I imagine the QBs are pulling their hair out.

rawlingsHOH
10/7/2009, 10:42 AM
Again, it

If you go back to the first half of 2007, the biggest criticism of Sam, was that he locked on to a single receiver too long. I believe the player most referenced was Kelly.

yermom
10/7/2009, 10:49 AM
he seemingly forgot about Kelly in Boulder and locked on to Iglesias

rawlingsHOH
10/7/2009, 11:03 AM
he seemingly forgot about Kelly in Boulder and locked on to Iglesias
That's right. No passes thrown his way that day, right?

goingoneight
10/7/2009, 11:36 AM
The thing that concerns me most about the offense isn't the line. We have very poor production out wide and usually a young guy (Owens? Miller? Reynolds?) would have shown at least flashes of promise by now. Kelly, Iglesias and Johnson made their moves all three as true freshmen. WR is a tough job to do no doubt, but it's not like linebacker, quarterback, etc. You stay in shape, you learn the offense, you get open. Getting open even appears troublesome at times for anyone not named Ryan Broyles.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/7/2009, 11:53 AM
I was sad to see daU run past our line leaving them looking for some one to block while Landry is getting rushed or tackled...

Pigface1
10/7/2009, 01:12 PM
The thing that concerns me most about the offense isn't the line. We have very poor production out wide and usually a young guy (Owens? Miller? Reynolds?) would have shown at least flashes of promise by now. Kelly, Iglesias and Johnson made their moves all three as true freshmen. WR is a tough job to do no doubt, but it's not like linebacker, quarterback, etc. You stay in shape, you learn the offense, you get open. Getting open even appears troublesome at times for anyone not named Ryan Broyles.

It would appear not having Jarboe hurts. In a perfect world, he'd not be a jackazz and would still be here. Sam, Gresham and Broyles would be healthy, too. Broyles, Kenney, and Jarboe along w/ Gresham would be a pretty stout offense.

Cam
10/7/2009, 07:37 PM
Will a huddle help Clapp identify that there's a huge freaking dude in brite orange running by him to flatten our QB? If not, it just doesn't matter.