PDA

View Full Version : Roy, Rocky and Marshall

TXBOOMER
10/5/2009, 10:57 PM
We won't see three that good hear at the same time again. I loved Mike but he gets all the credit when the reality is we had one of the best collective groups of LB's (2 LB's and a hybrid) ever assembled. Mike was a really good DC but these three dudes added to his legend. Compare the three we have in there now with those three. Collectively, they are not comparable.

pappy
10/6/2009, 04:01 AM
true

Sooner70
10/6/2009, 05:08 AM
Yep. That was a special bunch. They could make things happen. Played with abandon and were fearsome. Literally blew up FSU/Wienke in the NC game. Even when things were touch 'n go...like the 4th Q at the aTm game in 2000, Marshall comes up with the INT and Heupel drives to winning TD.

OU seems to do well when they have a strong LB corps, but I guess one could say that about most any team.

rainiersooner
10/6/2009, 06:25 AM
Domique Franks almost had his Torrance Marshall moment against Miami. The fact that he didn't might be the biggest thing separating thing separating this team from greatness and mediocrity. I mean that this team just lacks that killer instinct.

okiewaker
10/6/2009, 06:35 AM
Those three were fun to watch. I think the 2001 D was the best D overall under Stoops. IMO

Pigface1
10/6/2009, 10:18 AM
We won't see three that good hear at the same time again. I loved Mike but he gets all the credit when the reality is we had one of the best collective groups of LB's (2 LB's and a hybrid) ever assembled. Mike was a really good DC but these three dudes added to his legend. Compare the three we have in there now with those three. Collectively, they are not comparable.

Totally agree. We haven't had the same talent/playmakers on defense that we had earlier this decade. Strait, Woolfolk completely shut people down, Rocky, Roy, Torrance, etc.

Who was it that got the pick 6 vs Nebraska in Norman, was that Torrance? That was the moment that changed everything.

Travis Lewis has a chance to be "special," and Gerald McCoy is a beast. Quentin Carter is a ball hawk.

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 10:47 AM
Strait, Woolfolk completely shut people down

Besides some spares from OSU and A&M.

Pigface1
10/6/2009, 11:10 AM
Besiedes some spares from OSU and A&M.

I mean Woolfolk. Roy Williams of Texas never scored a point on him.

sooner94
10/6/2009, 11:30 AM
Remember in 2001 how TRRW would make 8 tackles in the first quarter and just demoralize the opposing offense.

TXBOOMER
10/6/2009, 04:12 PM
Remember in 2001 how TRRW would make 8 tackles in the first quarter and just demoralize the opposing offense.

Those were the good old days. texass is licking their nuts I mean chops right now. Sickening!

missann
10/6/2009, 09:58 PM
Who was it that got the pick 6 vs Nebraska in Norman, was that Torrance? That was the moment that changed everything.

I think it was Derrick Strait. I remember Torrance not even blocking, just holding up his finger.

goingoneight
10/7/2009, 08:10 AM
Rocky, Roy, Marshall is to 2000 as Adron, Caleb and Kenney is to 2009.

Talent dropoff is to blame. It's not to say we aren't still getting the players, they just aren't the rare, heart of a champion breed. But who really can say they've scored that kinda crop in February?

sooneron
10/7/2009, 09:32 AM
I mean Woolfolk. Roy Williams of Texas never scored a point on him.

Woolfolk was responsible for R Woods in 02.

Pigface1
10/7/2009, 09:42 AM

R. Woods, the guy that would push off before every catch he made and was a bust in the NFL?

I'm not saying Woolfolk was Deion Sanders or anything close. He was better than any CB we have right now, though, IMO. However, D. Franks could end up proving me wrong and I hope he does.

DakotaSooner
10/7/2009, 11:17 AM
R. Woods, the guy that would push off before every catch he made and was a bust in the NFL?

I'm not saying Woolfolk was Deion Sanders or anything close. He was better than any CB we have right now, though, IMO. However, D. Franks could end up proving me wrong and I hope he does.

Franks is not better than Woolfolk.

rawlingsHOH
10/7/2009, 11:22 AM
Franks v Woolfolk

The pros overrated Woolfolk a little, due to his great measurables, 6-1, 4.4, big jumper, etc. My feeling is Franks is probably the better natural corner. They both had their share of big plays and busts.

Rhino
10/7/2009, 01:16 PM
Roger Steffen is offended by this thread.

Pigface1
10/7/2009, 01:44 PM
Franks is not better than Woolfolk.

I didn't say he was.

aero
10/7/2009, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't say we've has lesser talent. I think it takes the coach to bring it out of the players. We've had good talent since, I just don't think the coaching has brought out the players full capabilities or attitudes.

Jdog
10/7/2009, 05:03 PM
Domique Franks almost had his Torrance Marshall moment against Miami. The fact that he didn't might be the biggest thing separating thing separating this team from greatness and mediocrity. I mean that this team just lacks that killer instinct.

Those guy never got beat in College like Franks is getting bet this year.

Jdog
10/7/2009, 05:29 PM
Franks v Woolfolk

The pros overrated Woolfolk a little, due to his great measurables, 6-1, 4.4, big jumper, etc. My feeling is Franks is probably the better natural corner. They both had their share of big plays and busts.

anyone who can make the catch that Woolfolk made in a big game like the 2000 Nebish game and have the endurance to playing both ways for most of his freshman season is not what I would consider overated.

I also liked the amazing Oskie he had against the Tejas Ro Williams in 2001.

He was pretty bang up his last year at OU and it slowed him down going into the NFL - and it didn't help that he got stuck with a really bad team.

Jdog
10/7/2009, 05:38 PM

didn't that game cause the coaches to adopt cover two.

Woods would fake short and go long,
I think Strait got bit in that game a couple of times

TXBOOMER
10/7/2009, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't say we've has lesser talent. I think it takes the coach to bring it out of the players. We've had good talent since, I just don't think the coaching has brought out the players full capabilities or attitudes.

We don't have close to the talent right now with the exception of Lewis, but collectively it isn't close. How could we get more out of Ryan Reynolds? He gives us all he has. Lewis is really good, misses a play every once in a while but he could be in the elite group. Keenan Clayton is good but is not even close to Roy. Roy Williams was simply dominant. I can only hope we have another RW one of these days.