PDA

View Full Version : A quick peek at 2010...

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 01:41 PM
Folks, I haven't given up on these guys, and neither should you. But, I do want to take a glimpse at the future. Here's what I see as OUr starting Offense for next year:

QB: The Stache (he could very well be the best QB in the conference next year, no joke!)
RB: DM (he said he is staying, and it would probably do him some good, he would be the best returning RB in the conference)
TE: Hanna (give him all off season to work on this)
WR: Ryan Broyles (he might be the best returning WR in the conference)
WR: Darius White (I think we get him, he could be an AJ Green/ Julio Jones type guy)
WR: Cameron Kenney (get him more touches!)
RT: Bronson Irwin (mean SOB, from what I've heard)
RG: Tyler Evans (another year in the system, same mentality as Irwin)
C: Habern (same as the two previous)
LG: Stephen Good (another mauler, he needs to be on the field more)
LT: Tavaris Jeffries (Coaches are high on him, he also needs to see the field more, he was in on that last TD drive and made some good plays)

That could be a good Offense to build around. You would very well have the best QB, RB, WR, and Freshman in the conference. The line would be filled with a bunch of mean SOBs, which is what you want. Again, if Prater or Stills comes here, they would be ahead of Kenney, and if a miracle happened and Henderson came here, he would be ahead of Jeffries.

On D:

DE: Alexander (if not for English, would start this year)
DT: Taylor (solid in his own right)
DT: McFarland (The next GK/Harris)
DE: Beal (might be the best at his position in America next year)
LB: Austin Box (would start for most teams)
LB: T. Lewis (I think he comes back, and is moved to the middle, ala Lofton)
LB: R.Lewis (They want to make him a "Crash" Kindle type, perfect opportunity)
CB: Franks (he comes back to improve, AND STOP PEEKING IN THE BACKFIELD)
CB: Hurst (coaches are high on him as well, a special teams standout)
SS: Proctor (will improve with another year in the system)
FS: Trice (same as Hurst, and is really quick)

On Specials:

P: Way (He was booming it the other night- 71 yard punt! Use him on KOs!)
K: Stevens (He is improving. He just needs to strengthen that leg.)
PR & KR: Broyles and Franks (they have shown flashes)

Between both offense and defense, that's only 5 seniors (Kenney, DM, Beal, Taylor, and Franks), and one other guy who would likely go pro (T. Lewis). This would be a good foundation. And, remember something, next year is a rebuilding year for the entire conference. The most experienced QB in the conference would be, don't laugh, Austen Arnaud at ISU! There will be no Colt & Shipley at UTerus, no "triplets" at OSU, no Reesing at KU, and everybody else is really green. The same can be said of a lot of powerhouses next year, as well.

FaninAma
10/5/2009, 01:46 PM
If he's healthy Tom Wort will be the starting
MLB.

kustang619
10/5/2009, 01:49 PM
That actually made me smile for the first time since Saturday night. I'm not giving up on this season either, but maybe this helps my whole perspective on everything...

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 01:50 PM
If Travis Lewis goes pro, I could see Tom at MLB. Having 4 good LBs can't be anything but good. There could be some packages where all four would be on the field at the same time.

Mississippi Sooner
10/5/2009, 01:54 PM
Ya know, if not for Sam and Jermaine coming back this year, we would have called 2009 a rebuilding year. As it turns out, thanks to the injuries, that's exactly what it is, anyway. This group still has a shot at the conference title if they get a few wrinkles ironed out, but they have the potential to be awesome in the next couple of years after that.

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 01:57 PM
That actually made me smile for the first time since Saturday night. I'm not giving up on this season either, but maybe this helps my whole perspective on everything...

Always glad to help. Ever since going to Iraq and having to go through the 2005 season over there, I have found this as therapeutic. :D

I hate to sound like an :stunned: , but the future is VERY bright. We need to have an attitude back in the program that "nobody here has a job just handed to them." That may have happened this year to some guys due to nothing but seniority (Tennell, Brandon, even T-Will and Simmons). That line next year could be absolutely bearlike mean! That's what we need, guys who take a negative play personally. I see more fire from the younger guys than I do some of the more veteran guys, and that may be another problem this year. I remember guys like Calmus and Cody getting in guys' faces and challenging them. I see Landry being like that, and I can see a guy like Habern doing that, too.

soonervegas
10/5/2009, 02:01 PM
If there is a silver lining to next year it could be this.....we are taking our rebuilding year up front on the offensive side of the ball.

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 02:24 PM
This year could absolutely be a great recruiting tool for guys like White (who some believe has already made his mind to come here), Prater (who I still think we have a shot at), Stills (ditto), and Henderson. Any of those guys would have great shot at making an immediate impact at OUr two weakest positions. Add to this that we have one of the best young QBs in America, and two more just like him (Allen and Bell). If I were any one of those guys, not just looking at this as a Sooner, I would love to go there. As well, they have put a number of guys at those positions in the NFL.

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 02:39 PM
Furthermore, look at next years non-con. Air Force & Utah State will be outmatched (and, more importantly, in Norman). If we think that we are in a bad place, look at FSU, and that's in Norman as well. The only road game against a quality non-con will be Cincy, and that will be without Pike and Gilyard (sp?). From the North, we have two cellar dwellers with ISU and CU, at home. The only key game there will be at Mizzou, and when was the last time Mizzou beat us up there.....? We also have their number. From the South, again, UTerus and OSU are rebuilding, and we have Tech at home. Even though A&M and Baylor are road games, those teams are still a bit off from consistently competing for championships. Nebbish probably comes out of the North.

Gresho Murford
10/5/2009, 02:40 PM
This year could absolutely be a great recruiting tool for guys like White (who some believe has already made his mind to come here), Prater (who I still think we have a shot at), Stills (ditto), and Henderson. Any of those guys would have great shot at making an immediate impact at OUr two weakest positions. Add to this that we have one of the best young QBs in America, and two more just like him (Allen and Bell). If I were any one of those guys, not just looking at this as a Sooner, I would love to go there. As well, they have put a number of guys at those positions in the NFL.

Yep we really need these guys. Unfortunately Owens and Miller (so far) have not worked out like I thought they would.

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 02:44 PM
Miller still has a shot, but they either need to bulk him up more and make him a receiving TE, or they need to make him like MK. Owens was a recruiting whiff, and I don't know if anybody could have seen that coming. Add to that the Jarboe incident and getting beaten out by 'Bama for Jones, and therein lies OUr problems at WR.

engineer24
10/5/2009, 03:30 PM
You are ignoring the OL, all signs point to them being mediocre at best next year. I think they will once again prove to be a major problem.

BoulderSooner79
10/5/2009, 03:36 PM
I see the possibility of DM, Beal, T. Lewis and even Franks going pro. The whole rookie salary cap thing is going to have lots of players considering it and willing to go on a lower than normal expected draft position. But it is an issue for all teams.

Gresho Murford
10/5/2009, 03:46 PM
Im starting to think this rookie salary cap thing is a myth. It gets brought up every year. Is it actually going to happen?

KRYPTON
10/5/2009, 03:48 PM
OL will improve if we use people who are already on campus. If we have a true freshman or JUCO at any position on the OL, no matter how mean, that player will be a huge weakness. That said, the only senior we might field, Cory Brandon, would... I can't discuss it further. I get too emotional.

Beal keeps up the pace, he won't be here next year.

THAT SAID you have a good point about QB's and Stache being one of the better QB's in the big 12. We don't lose a contributing WR either (Sorry Tennell) so the offense should be far smoother from day one.

Defense, we keep most of the DL and LB's, lose some pretty critical players, but have a fleet of potential replacements.

Gresho Murford
10/5/2009, 03:52 PM
I never thought I would say that we should have a better year in 2010 than in 2009

Collier11
10/5/2009, 03:54 PM
that I will agree with you on

Jello Biafra
10/5/2009, 03:55 PM
RT: Bronson Irwin (mean SOB, from what I've heard)

he'd better be mean. he is probably at least a year and a hlf from starting at TACKLE anyway. we had an average junior dend at Yukon abuse him this season.

SoonerNate
10/5/2009, 04:01 PM
Wort is a stud.

Collier11
10/5/2009, 04:23 PM
^^^ I love those type statements...I mean weve all been watching Wort in game action for how long now?

Chiliman
10/5/2009, 04:29 PM
Being from Enid, I'm a homer but I think it is almost criminal Box hasn't gotten more game reps @ MLB. FWIW, two mods from both major internet sites for the team (Rivals and OUInsider) have basically questioned the fact Box hasn't gotten the opportunity. Their candor about the situation was shocking.

Collier11
10/5/2009, 04:37 PM
Stoops has always shown favortism to players who have earned it on the field, that is why RR is still playing on passing downs. Its a good character trait to have, just not in football all the time