PDA

View Full Version : Which will happen first.....

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 12:15 PM
a trip to the Final Four or number 8? I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I put it in the one where I think it will happen. We were darn close on both of those goals last year, but I think a Final Four is closer. This team has as good a chance as any to do it (3 MDAAs and a senior in the starting 5), and another top 100 guy up front. I really like what Coach Capel is doing, and the talent he is bringing in is better than what Sampson brought in, and might be up there with what Billy brought in. I hope we can get both pretty soon.

stoopified
10/5/2009, 12:57 PM
If you are only going to ask a Final Four of the basketball team then you SHOULD only require a BCS title game appearence from the football team,otherwise require an NC for both.I think Bob will get OU in another BCS title game before Jeff gets us to the Final Four.I think both WILL accomplish those goals BUT I think Bob has more pieces in place.

w0lfe
10/5/2009, 01:00 PM
Its hard to do it in basketball, especially since most players only stay 1 or two years. Its hard for us to reload after those players like that leave, unless you are a team like Duke or NC that gets 5 McDonald all americans every year. So Bob will get 8 before basketball gets 1, but we will get to the final 4 before Bob gets 8

soonervegas
10/5/2009, 01:04 PM
Man, coin flip.

Since 1983 we have been to:

2 Final fours
3 Elite Eights

2 National Titles (1985, 2000)
4 National Title losses (1988, 2004, 2004, 2008) - I didn't count 1984 because we would have had to beaten Washinton like a drum.

If you equate NC losses to Elite Eight losses it looks like a virtual toss up on all counts.

My gut says Final Four, so it will be #8.

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 01:09 PM
This year, there really isn't a team like last year's UNC team. KU is good, but even they have holes (especially outside shooting). I have seen UTerus in the top 5 in most preseason polls, but they aren't very different than us. UNC and Duke will need to reload, and the Big East is in rebuild mode this year. When an underachieving G'Town is a pick to win the conference, there's a problem. Nobody in the PAC-10 really scares anybody. Michigan State has a good team coming back, but even last year they had some "WTF" type losses. I think this year we have just as good of a chance as anybody. Winning a title in basketball takes a good bit of breaks, and a lot of it has to do with where and who you are seeded against. Heck, last year we would have made it to Detroit if we weren't in UNC's bracket.

w0lfe
10/5/2009, 01:25 PM
Well i think we will be in good shape if we can have someone step up and have the ability to score consistently to be able to free warren up some. He is going to see all sorts of defensive looks.

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 02:14 PM
Well i think we will be in good shape if we can have someone step up and have the ability to score consistently to be able to free warren up some. He is going to see all sorts of defensive looks.

I am thinking some pick and rolls or pick and pops with Tiny. With his skill set, he should be able to take guys like Private Pyle (aka Pittman) away from the basket, and open up driving lanes for WW, TMG, or Crock. That is why I say that Allen, Fitz, or Wright just need to play solid D. The other four, against most teams, should be able to be enough to win. The only three games on their schedule where I can see them needing to take a more active role would be @KU, @ 'Zags, and @ UTerus. The good thing is, the Zags are at the tail end of their non-con, and they lost a good bit inside last year, and their PG. They really don't have anybody who could stop WW, TMG, or Tiny. The KU and UTerus road games are at the end of the conference slate. By that time, we should know where these guys stand, and it would be great tests for the NCAAs, win or lose.

Sam Bradford
10/10/2009, 09:51 PM
If we land Doron Lamb and Terrence Jones, we will win the national championship next year. We are considered the leader for both prospects by many. We are also have a very good shot at the #1 player in the country Harrison Barnes.

TMG- Mcdonalds All American
Doron Lamb- Mcdonalds All American
Cameron Clark- Very likely Mcdonalds All American
Terrence Jones- Mcdonalds All American
Tiny Gallon- Mcdonalds All American

Curly Bill
10/10/2009, 10:03 PM
Final Four, we have systemic issues with the football team that Bob does not seem inclined to deal with.

the_ouskull
10/11/2009, 03:01 AM
Final Four because we won't have to fire anybody to get there, we just have to win.

the_ouskull