PDA

View Full Version : Why dont you go to Basketball games?

w0lfe
10/5/2009, 07:46 AM
My dad and I have never missed a game in the 13 years we have gotten season tickets. So anyways the question is, for those who do not buy season tickets, why do you not buy season tickets or even single game tickets for the basketball games? Just to list a couple of perks, they are cheaper than football tickets, they play more games, the games are shorter, Coach Capel is building something special here, and there are many others that I could easily list. So why dont you go?

soonervegas
10/5/2009, 07:54 AM
I think most people who frequent this board go to the games so you might be preaching to the choir with this post. My guess would be:

1. Most OU fans are football only

2. Norman can be a tough midweek trek for people when the game is on TV. (Especially OKC area)

There is my best guess.

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 09:03 AM
Whenever it is in season, and I am back home,I always catch a game. Even if one year it was the All College Tourney,I did. The BBALL teams having success in the '90s at least made life bearable as an OU fan. It looks like this year that it will be more of the same.

NormanPride
10/5/2009, 10:15 AM
I live in Tulsa and try to make the weekend games, but it's impossible to make it down for midweek games.

SoonerInSpringdale
10/5/2009, 11:42 AM
My dad and I have never missed a game in the 13 years we have gotten season tickets. So anyways the question is, for those who do not buy season tickets, why do you not buy season tickets or even single game tickets for the basketball games? Just to list a couple of perks, they are cheaper than football tickets, they play more games, the games are shorter, Coach Capel is building something special here, and there are many others that I could easily list. So why dont you go?

I live in NW Arkansas, but I think I'm going to make it to some games in Norman this year.

They are practically giving away seats on some student boards last year, $10-$20 bucks. If I lived in Norman I'd be at every basketball game.

I got tickets on the first row directly behind the OU bench when they came to Fayetteville last year. Very disappointing as I had on all my OU gear and an OU sign that I was taunting people with outside. Still can't believe they let Arkansas beat them...

OUmillenium
10/5/2009, 11:52 AM
I coach + live in Tulsa. Saw the game at the BOK last year. Usually try to catch 1-2 games per year. Wife usually gets me Tech, KU, or other big game tix for Christmas. If I lived in OKC area, would have season tix.

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 12:09 PM
When I was stationed at Fort Sill, I had season tix, and would even let my soldiers leave early so I could drive up from Lawton, if we didn't have something big going on. I will be stationed at Ft. Leavenworth for the 2011-2012 season, so I plan to catch more games, even some road games up north, and at GIA, if I can. I am really psyched about this team.

Sooner04
10/5/2009, 04:29 PM
I live in Ardmore. It's 75 minutes each way, and I rarely miss a home game.

SoonerDutch
10/5/2009, 11:20 PM
I lived in Tulsa and games starting at 8:00 on Mondays meant getting back at 1. Now that I'm in Norman, I will attend every game.

hellogoodbye
10/6/2009, 03:55 PM
I feel blessed that my wife jumped on the Blake and Taylor bandwagon. We now go to most home games.

Another thing to note is the ease of access \ parking. Way better than football games

Oakman
10/6/2009, 07:44 PM
The missus and I attend about half the home games each season. That just seems right for us old folks who live outside Norman. Fans since the '70's.

Sooner24
10/6/2009, 10:54 PM
I go to all the womens and as many of the mens games as I can. That includes 33 of the last 36 Big 8/12 basketball tournaments.

the_ouskull
10/6/2009, 11:05 PM
Because I can't afford to go. I've taken every ticket I've been given, and even called in a few favors to attend certain games ('99 Cincy) from time to time. But, ultimately, I'm a teacher. When I become a gainfully employed teacher again, I'll buy season tickets. I love basketball very much, but it no help with light bill.

the_ouskull

starclassic tama
10/6/2009, 11:36 PM
('99 Cincy)

the_ouskull

i remember going to this game. kenyon martin was unbelievable...

sooner59
10/7/2009, 12:37 AM
I try to make 1-2 games per year. I have loved watching lately, though. I was never really that much of a bball fan, but I love to cheer on my Sooners. Living in OKC now going to school, its a bit tougher now, but I still plan on making a few games. I realize that I am not the avid bball fan that most of you are, but I like to at least support my team. I will say one thing.....Capel has made me much more of a fan. I believe he is the real deal and will take our program to the next level.

w0lfe
10/7/2009, 08:29 AM
If seating doesnt bother some of you, there are always scalpers outside the games that you can get tickets for 5 or 10 dollars right before the game.

hellogoodbye
10/7/2009, 08:45 AM
Ive been going to at least a couple of game since Billy ball. It's very obvious to me that Capel has something special going on down there. Folks need to check it out!

Sam Bradford
10/10/2009, 09:47 PM
Post on OUhoops.com. Much more board activity than here and there are free recruiting updates.

Eielson
10/16/2009, 08:44 PM
I don't go to many basketball or football games simply because I live about three hours away. I enjoy going to basketball games vs. watching them on TV more than with football for what it's worth, though.

GottaHavePride
10/16/2009, 09:01 PM
Because I can't afford to go. I've taken every ticket I've been given, and even called in a few favors to attend certain games ('99 Cincy) from time to time. But, ultimately, I'm a teacher. When I become a gainfully employed teacher again, I'll buy season tickets. I love basketball very much, but it no help with light bill.

the_ouskull

Holy CRAP - I think the first half of that game is STILL the wildest I've ever seen a crowd at LNC.

I used to go to every game, home and tournament.

When I stopped playing in the band, I still got season tix for the next couple of years. Now my problem is that my random-*** musician's schedule rarely lets me clear time to make it to games. I try to go every once in a while, but most of the mid-week and evening games are covered up by rehearsals and gigs.

proud gonzo
10/16/2009, 09:29 PM
I'm busy. And I don't really care that much about basketball.

ELP Sooner
10/16/2009, 09:49 PM
I'll be going up to LBB for Mens hoops I think Jan 23 and then the next week for the ladies. It's the least I can do.

Soonerfan88
10/18/2009, 10:05 PM
It's a 5-6 hour drive. However, I do try to make it to at least one game in Norman per year and all the KU, KSU, MU, and other games up this way.

badger
10/19/2009, 03:44 PM
I love watching basketball. I would watch basketball all of the time if they showed it on the tee vee.

But, I think your question was related to attending basketball games as opposed to watching them. It's gotten to the point that it's the same reason I don't like attending football games as much as I used to --- I just get tired too easily at them. Too much getting riled up, too much shouting, etc.

There was a point where I would attend virtually every men's and women's basketball game at home and quite a few postseason appearances as well, and do the same for football, but it's grown old. I still have a lot of enthusiasm for OU sports, it's just that I don't have the energy I used to before the full-time job set in.

Sooner24
10/20/2009, 01:52 PM
I love watching basketball. I would watch basketball all of the time if they showed it on the tee vee.

But, I think your question was related to attending basketball games as opposed to watching them. It's gotten to the point that it's the same reason I don't like attending football games as much as I used to --- I just get tired too easily at them. Too much getting riled up, too much shouting, etc.

There was a point where I would attend virtually every men's and women's basketball game at home and quite a few postseason appearances as well, and do the same for football, but it's grown old. I still have a lot of enthusiasm for OU sports, it's just that I don't have the energy I used to before the full-time job set in.

And you're what, in your 20's? :confused:

BoomerGirl34
10/20/2009, 02:16 PM
Season ticket holder for women's hoops but also single mom and full time graduate student. Too many WBB games are on weeknights when I am either in class or one of the kids has an activity.

Try to get to at least 2-3 men's games a season, when I can.

btk108
10/26/2009, 02:56 AM
I live two hours away..made 3 mens games last season....2 womens....and several games the season before. I like that they play lots of games and tix are easily available....I'll be back this year for several games....BOOMERRRRR