PDA

View Full Version : 1-8 vs non-conference ranked opponents

Ark_Sooner
10/5/2009, 12:35 AM
on the road or at neutral sites since 2003.

After the Miami loss I started wondering what OU's record is against non-conference ranked opponents (AP rankings) on the road or at neutral sites:

Since 2003, the record is 1-8.

That one win was against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl in 2005.
Losses:
2009: BYU, Miami
2008: Florida
2007: West Virginia
2006: Oregon, Boise State
2004: USC
2003: LSU

rawlingsHOH
10/5/2009, 12:37 AM
vs non-conference/ranked opponents/on the road or at a neutral site?

Wow, that's a mouthful.

I think it would be easier to say... "OU sucks in BCS bowl games!"

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2009, 12:40 AM

Wow, that's a mouthful.

This...geez

JLEW1818
10/5/2009, 12:43 AM
would a cotton bowl appearance be an accomplishment for this season?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2009, 12:44 AM
I think it would be ok myself

Collier11
10/5/2009, 12:47 AM
the game isnt at 6am this year

stoops the eternal pimp
10/5/2009, 12:48 AM
But then again, this team may be good enough to beat everybody but Texas, and Texas could screw the pooch and lose to somebody they shouldnt...thats a reach but who knows

LawtonBoy74
10/5/2009, 02:59 AM
Sad...because the one win doesn't even count anymore according to the NCAA :cry:

olevetonahill
10/5/2009, 04:11 AM
Sad...because the one win doesn't even count anymore according to the NCAA :cry:

WTF are you talkin about ? :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/5/2009, 04:15 AM
It's better than Pete Carroll's record against really ****ty Pac-10 teams that his team is favored to beat by 4 TD's ;)

OUAlumni1990
10/5/2009, 05:34 AM

You sound like a poor, misinformed OSWho puke fan. The fact is, we got those wins back:

http://www.kbtx.com/sports/headlines/15887342.html

The_Red_Patriot
10/5/2009, 07:07 AM
Well, since the big 12 is overrated as balls this year I wouldn't rule a good bowl game out just yet.

badger
10/5/2009, 07:37 AM
Gawww, everyone knows we beat Oregon in 2006 and the two losses this year were after uber injuries to key players... and they were only by one point each.

Besides... our record against conference opponents is really good. Focusing right-in on non-conference opponents? Well yeah, let's just start up the whole "we can't win a bowl game" crap again, because that's all it is with different wording.

kingsby
10/5/2009, 07:45 AM
It's better than Pete Carroll's record against really ****ty Pac-10 teams that his team is favored to beat by 4 TD's ;)

Nope - get a clue!

Rather have Pete's record than Mr. Stoops, no question !

BIG_IKE
10/5/2009, 08:01 AM
All I know.....is OU is undefeated in Big 12 play, and thats what Im gonna be happy about for right now...
If UH can beat OSU....why cant OU
If Wyoming can hang with Texas for a half...why cant OU for a whole game?
If UH can beat Tech...why cant OU.

The season is not over folks! If we win the Big 12 we will be in a BCS Bowl. It is NOT out of the question!~

badger
10/5/2009, 08:03 AM
The season is not over folks! If we win the Big 12 we will be in a BCS Bowl. It is NOT out of the question!~

Would I be a crappy fan if I wanted us to go to a bowl game we could win? :(

RedstickSooner
10/5/2009, 08:32 AM
This season has not been as much fun as I anticipated.

badger
10/5/2009, 08:39 AM
This season has not been as much fun as I anticipated.

On the plus side... we have discovered a new awesome WR.

<<< He's my new avvie :D

Sooner-N-KS
10/5/2009, 08:55 AM

Wow, that's a mouthful.

That's the thing. We used to think the problem was just BCS bowl games. What we are finding out is that the problem is much bigger than that.

soonerinabilene
10/5/2009, 09:21 AM
Nope - get a clue!

number of crystal balls in the usc trophy room is the same thats in the switzer center. and the switzer center also has 6 big 12 titles sitting there. you need to get a clue.

badger
10/5/2009, 09:23 AM
That's the thing. We used to think the problem was just BCS bowl games. What we are finding out is that the problem is much bigger than that.

This sounds like a fun discussion...

The problem used to be: Bowl losses
The problem actually was: Non-conference ranked opponent losses on the road.

The problem used to be: Mikes Stoops left for a head coaching job.
The problem actually was: A lot of outstanding assistants, including Mike Stoops, have left for head coaching jobs.

The problem used to be: Lack of championships.
The problem actually was: Lack of appreciation for any type of championship, conference or national, considering where the program was in most of the 90s.

I still love my Sooners... especially Kenney :)

JLEW1818
10/5/2009, 09:27 AM
so do you have an "obsession" for Kenney?

i know how those feel..

Pigface1
10/5/2009, 09:42 AM
Nope - get a clue!

Pete has played for one national title. Stoops has played for 4.

/

badger
10/5/2009, 09:50 AM
so do you have an "obsession" for Kenney?

i know how those feel..

Hey, you boys have been on the Stache Train for weeks now... why can't I have my TD-receiving wide receiver? :D

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/3434690.jpeg

His first name is Cameron... oooo, I think I have a Kenney crush :D

(NP is avoiding you guys today, so it is safe for me to say that, hehe)

TexasLidig8r
10/5/2009, 10:14 AM
Or.. what should me perhaps even a bigger concern...

As posted by Ivan Maisel this morning...

"I'm not sure what’s more amazing, that Bob Stoops is only 4-8 in games decided by three points or fewer in his 11 seasons at Oklahoma or that he has had only 12 games out of 137 decided by no more than a field goal. Pete Carroll is only 5-8 in three-point games at USC. Maybe dominant coaches struggle in close games? Then I looked at Mack Brown. He’s 17-3 in three-point games at Texas and has won his last 14 dating to the 2001 Big 12 Championship Game. Wow."

texas bandman
10/5/2009, 10:36 AM
Nice Mug shot. :D

Hey, you boys have been on the Stache Train for weeks now... why can't I have my TD-receiving wide receiver? :D

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/3434690.jpeg

His first name is Cameron... oooo, I think I have a Kenney crush :D

(NP is avoiding you guys today, so it is safe for me to say that, hehe)

texas bandman
10/5/2009, 10:39 AM
Then his losses are greater than 3 points and Texas plays in alot more close games than OU. I'd still take Stoops over Mack.

"I'm not sure what’s more amazing, that Bob Stoops is only 4-8 in games decided by three points or fewer in his 11 seasons at Oklahoma or that he has had only 12 games out of 137 decided by no more than a field goal. Pete Carroll is only 5-8 in three-point games at USC. Maybe dominant coaches struggle in close games? Then I looked at Mack Brown. He’s 17-3 in three-point games at Texas and has won his last 14 dating to the 2001 Big 12 Championship Game. Wow."

RedstickSooner
10/5/2009, 10:57 AM
number of crystal balls in the usc trophy room is the same thats in the switzer center. and the switzer center also has 6 big 12 titles sitting there. you need to get a clue.

Well, here's the thing. I watch football because I love the Sooners *and* because it's fun to watch.

I loathe Petey boy with all my being -- but he does have an edge on Stoops right now. Namely, that he seems to win most of his big games. The games he loses are only big because he lost 'em -- sorta like we were for most of the early part of the decade.

Teams are afraid to play the condoms. As a fan, that sense of bullying is fun, and I miss it. Were I a condom fan going into a huge matchup, I'd have every bit of confidence that we'd beat the crap out of whatever ranked opponent we were facing. As a Sooner fan, I do not have that confidence.

I *hate* that I do not have that confidence. It's not fun. Since I have a bit of a Zen streak to me, I often ask myself: Why am I doing this? I only believe in doing that which is fun, and that which is necessary. This isn't fun, so is it necessary?

So far, my answer is that, yes, it is. But I sure do miss the time when there was no question to ask at all. Not to mention all those "bad" seasons where we beat the snot out of the Shorthorns and every other decent team we played, then choked against the Pokes or some other worthless second-rate program.

I'd rather lose a game a season to a bad team (as the Condoms seem to do) and win against my quality opponents, than just lose against ranked teams, but beat all the bad teams. It's more fun to beat someone worth beating.

badger
10/5/2009, 11:10 AM
Nice Mug shot. :D

Next time he catches a game opening TD, I'll draw a little heart around it :D

rawlingsHOH
10/5/2009, 02:30 PM
The statistics say...

We are good on the road.
We are decent (at lesat over .500) in non-bowl neutral site games.
We are terrible in last 5 BCS bowl games.

soonervegas
10/5/2009, 02:34 PM

Seeing how we play many of the same opponents...it appears you play down to your competion more? That may explain the 6-1 stat as well.

Gandalf_The_Grey
10/5/2009, 02:51 PM
I could only imagine the meltdown on this board if Stoops lost to lower level Big 12 teams like Carroll loses to lower level Pac-10 teams. If Stoops was doing that, you would be bitching. If Stoops lost to the New England Patriots...you would be bitching. If Stoops didn't make it through a yellow light, you would be bitching. Does OU have some problems...no doubt. I will tell you this though, Bob Stoops best coaching job outside of 1999 and 2000 was the 8-4 year. Amazingly his two worst record years, I consider him to have done the best job. Sometimes **** just goes awry. If there is a problem this year....we have had it :(

Johnny Utah
10/5/2009, 03:11 PM
Well, here's the thing. I watch football because I love the Sooners *and* because it's fun to watch.

I loathe Petey boy with all my being -- but he does have an edge on Stoops right now. Namely, that he seems to win most of his big games. The games he loses are only big because he lost 'em -- sorta like we were for most of the early part of the decade.

Teams are afraid to play the condoms. As a fan, that sense of bullying is fun, and I miss it. Were I a condom fan going into a huge matchup, I'd have every bit of confidence that we'd beat the crap out of whatever ranked opponent we were facing. As a Sooner fan, I do not have that confidence.

I *hate* that I do not have that confidence. It's not fun. Since I have a bit of a Zen streak to me, I often ask myself: Why am I doing this? I only believe in doing that which is fun, and that which is necessary. This isn't fun, so is it necessary?

So far, my answer is that, yes, it is. But I sure do miss the time when there was no question to ask at all. Not to mention all those "bad" seasons where we beat the snot out of the Shorthorns and every other decent team we played, then choked against the Pokes or some other worthless second-rate program.

I'd rather lose a game a season to a bad team (as the Condoms seem to do) and win against my quality opponents, than just lose against ranked teams, but beat all the bad teams. It's more fun to beat someone worth beating.

^^^ THIS

Phil
10/5/2009, 03:17 PM
I will tell you this though, Bob Stoops best coaching job outside of 1999 and 2000 was the 8-4 year.

^^^THIS^^^

StoopTroup
10/5/2009, 03:19 PM
^^^THIS^^^

OH MAN! YOU'VE DONE IT NOW! :D

TMcGee86
10/5/2009, 03:20 PM
Nope - get a clue!

Oh yeah, because his record vs NCRO's is sooooo great. :rolleyes:

Notice how none of our games were against the Big 10.

Take out the Big 10 and your boy Petey is a whopping 3-1.

He beat a 3 loss Notre Dame team ranked #9. Take out Notre Dame and he is 2-1.

He beat a Nebraska team that while ranked 14th when they played SC the second week of the season, went on to lose seven games that year.

That leaves him at 1-1.

He supposedly beat us in a game I have no memory of, and he got beat basically at home by Macky Mack and *.

My lord, he's a coaching genius. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately for us we don't get to beat up on perennially overrated Big10 opponents in a bowl game located in OKC every year. Were that the case I guarantee you our record would be immensely better.

Jello Biafra
10/5/2009, 03:25 PM

and yet in 30+ years as the head man he has something close to 1 conference championship...grats to him with his close wins. maybe that and a quarter can buy him a tube of baking soda toothpaste.

Pigface1
10/5/2009, 03:26 PM
I could only imagine the meltdown on this board if Stoops lost to lower level Big 12 teams like Carroll loses to lower level Pac-10 teams. If Stoops was doing that, you would be bitching. If Stoops lost to the New England Patriots...you would be bitching. If Stoops didn't make it through a yellow light, you would be bitching. Does OU have some problems...no doubt. I will tell you this though, Bob Stoops best coaching job outside of 1999 and 2000 was the 8-4 year. Amazingly his two worst record years, I consider him to have done the best job. Sometimes **** just goes awry. If there is a problem this year....we have had it :(

True.

Here's my deal. . . why can't the team ever stay healthy? Every single year the team loses players. I would love to see a stat for how many players we've lost compared to the rest of the country.

Maybe it's just bad luck.

Collier11
10/5/2009, 03:30 PM
its called every team in college football every season, very few teams stay completely healthy every yr, it just so happens that the injuries have hit our biggest players

TMcGee86
10/5/2009, 03:34 PM
I loathe Petey boy with all my being -- but he does have an edge on Stoops right now. Namely, that he seems to win most of his big games.

I brought this up a couple of weeks ago, but it needs to be stated again. This is such a fallacy that it makes me want to puke.

If you look at their schedule, since they beat OU in the MNC game in 04, they have exactly 2 wins on the road against ranked, non-conference opponents, that were not Big10 teams.

Thats right, two. A three loss Notre Dame team that lost its bowl game to tOSU, and a seven loss Nebraska team that was only ranked because it was the second week of the season.

Other than that they have beaten two ****ty Arkansas teams, a ****ty Fresno team, and two ****ty Nebraska teams. Other than that, the only reg season opponent that could even be considered decent would be Notre Dame. Need I even comment on that?

Look at their bowl record since Chow left, a loss to Texas, then wins vs. Michigan, Illinois, and Penn State in that order. That's right, all Big Ten teams.

And not only were those highly overrated teams from a perennial loser conference, only one of those was the top team from that sh*tty a*s conference.

In 2006 tOSU beat the Michigan team SC faced in Rose Bowl, only to get annihilated in the MNC game by LSU.

In 2007 that Illinois team SC faced in the Rose Bowl was 9-4 getting beat not only by tOSU (who again went on to get destroyed by an SEC team in the NC game) but by a Missou team that a mediocre OU team beat soundly not once but twice that year.

And then finally in 2008 that **** *** Penn State team that was beat by Iowa and squeaked by tOSU 13-6.

I swear it's not just sour grapes here, I'm just sick of ESPN and the rest of the media ignoring the fact that Pete Carroll hasn't done jack **** since beating up OU five years ago.

They take every chance they get to rag on Bob Stoops and say how he can't win the big one like Pete Carroll can, but give me a ****ing break, where exactly are all these "big games' USC supposedly won?

You take away the Big Ten and ND, and USC has three wins total against ranked noncon opponents the last five years. A SEVEN loss Nebraska team, a FIVE loss Nebraska team, and a FIVE loss Fresno State team. You call those big games???

Not only that but was it not a big game when they faced #2 Texas or #5 Oregon? They lost both those games.

Was it not a "big game" when OU faced a #1 ranked Missou team or a #2 ranked TTU team? They won both those games.

And yet we constantly hear that USC has the greatest athletes in the nation and they get any recruit they want and that they have 10 RBs that would start on any team in the country, and that they dont rebuild they reload, yada yada yada. Not only that but their entire team seems to get drafted year in year out. Hell I think their whole Defense was a first round pick last year.

So if he has all this talent, and obviously looking at the draft he does, and if anyone would want to go there, and considering where the school is located they would, then why the **** do they keep losing to ****ty teams like Stanford and Washington and when exactly was the last "big game" they won???

Pete Carroll needs to be on his knees every night bowing to the bowl committee who set up the Rose Bowl. He has built his reputation beating up on patsies from the Big10 in his backyard.

Pigface1
10/5/2009, 03:43 PM
its called every team in college football every season, very few teams stay completely healthy every yr, it just so happens that the injuries have hit our biggest players

Multiple starters getting hurt every year, year in and year out, does not happen to every team.

Collier11
10/5/2009, 03:46 PM
sure it does, look at USC, look at UT, look at OSU, look at USF, and on and on and on

Jello Biafra
10/5/2009, 03:47 PM
Multiple starters getting hurt every year, year in and year out, does not happen to every team.

maybe we should start a weight lifting program or something

Pigface1
10/5/2009, 04:01 PM
sure it does, look at USC, look at UT, look at OSU, look at USF, and on and on and on

I know there is some luck involved in staying healthy; I'm just curious to know how we rate vs everyone else.

Jello, for some reason I think we have one. Mark Clayton said the program they run at the Raven's is a joke compared to what they went through at OU.

westbrooke
10/5/2009, 04:02 PM

I think the research was a bit off on that one (UT 42 KSU 45 in 2006) and the metric conveniently excuses some other closely contested games like last year's loss to Tech, but the general point is valid and well-taken. Texas has done a better job of hitting back in recent slugfests than we have.

rawlingsHOH
10/5/2009, 04:21 PM
I think the research was a bit off on that one (UT 42 KSU 45 in 2006) and the metric conveniently excuses some other closely contested games like last year's loss to Tech, but the general point is valid and well-taken. Texas has done a better job of hitting back in recent slugfests than we have.
Hey! Don't let facts get in the way of something that sounds good.

Roll with it, man!

westbrooke
10/5/2009, 04:27 PM
Hey! Don't let facts get in the way of something that sounds good.

Roll with it, man!

Hahahaha, my mistake!