PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Didn't Give His Players A Chance To Win

FaninAma
10/4/2009, 06:41 PM
He basically conceded the fact that our OL
couldn't protect the QB by basically refusing to
call a pass play over 5 yards on the 4th quarter.

He allowed Miami to line up 9 and 10 players in
the box without challenging them. He never challenged
the 2 replacent safeties Miami had in the game.

Does anyone really think Wilson will figure anything out
by Texas?

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 06:43 PM

by Texas?

Clear and concise. And correct. But I bet someone will bring up how the D lost the game. Just wait and see.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 06:44 PM
He got very conservative immidiately following our 2 TD drives. It was odd.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 06:44 PM
He got very conservative immidiately following our 2 TD drives. It was odd.

It was normal for a big game on the road.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I don't think it was odd, at least for Wilson. He's obviously not terrible if he can produce perhaps the most prolific offense in NCAA history, but sometimes you just have to wonder what he's thinking. It's almost like he expects to score 50 every game and if the other team's defense decides they don't want that to happen he just goes into a conservative shell instead of making positive adjustments to try and win.

Curly Bill
10/4/2009, 06:52 PM

by Texas?

LOL...absolutely not. :(

All_Day_28
10/4/2009, 07:12 PM

by Texas?
I agree and I said he exact same thing. He was basically saying "I have no faith in you guys." Way to deflate the confidence of our offense in a close game on national tv.

SoonerDood
10/4/2009, 07:16 PM
I don't see anything wrong in this thread.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 07:32 PM
I think he figured out he has only one QB left.

Hotrod3157
10/4/2009, 07:51 PM

by Texas?

Sadly I don't think he will.

bri
10/4/2009, 08:07 PM
I think he figured out he has only one QB left.

All the more reason to keep the playbook open. How many times has Landry been hit when we move the pocket? None. How many touchdowns have we gotten when we move the pocket? Two that I can recall off the top of my head, maybe more. But we always stop moving the pocket early in the game and start trying traditional drop-back plays. That's where all of Miami's sacks come from. Wilson is an idiot, plain and simple.

stoopified
10/4/2009, 08:08 PM
I would point out that however conservative Wilson got, he did so because that is what Bob wanted.Prior to last year I don't know how many times I got upset with the run outthe clock style O that Bob seems to prefer in second half of any game.To me it is the offensive equivilent of prevent defense.I think Bob feels with our o-line and lack of offensiveplaymakers(healthy ones) this is the way to go.Over the last 5-6 years I try not to secondguess the coaches but trust they are doing what is best for the team.Might as well because what fans think will NOT affect Bob and this staff. Barry was the same way and although I was 3 when Bud resigned I would bet he was the same.The only coaches at OU I can think of who may have been influenced by outside pressures were in the LOST DECADE(Gibbs,Schnelly,Boo).IMHO that says more about their weakness as coaches than anything else.

stoopified
10/4/2009, 08:28 PM
Damn double post

PDXsooner
10/4/2009, 08:35 PM
this sounds so much like texas fans from 2000-2004. blame everything on the coaches. look, at the end of the day, we could have executed numerous times and been 4-0, but we didn't. the defense had a 4th down against byu and a 3rd down against miami that both would have us at 4-0, yet failed.

bri
10/4/2009, 08:43 PM
Yes, the players didn't execute on those two instances, but our problem is that the decisions and philosophies of our coordinators caused them to be in those make-or-break situations.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/4/2009, 08:44 PM
its just amazing how games OU has come out and moved the ball on the first drive and then just fizzle away

bri
10/4/2009, 08:46 PM
Cue apologists to say "well....but....but....the other team made ADJUSTMENTS!" To which I would say, man, it sure would be nice if we could come up with a Plan B on the fly one of these times.

oksoonerdave
10/4/2009, 08:47 PM
From what I've been reading on this subject, and mentioned before on a different thread, several of the fans feel that KW has a very low opinion (confidence) of the O Line. If this is true then that same level of confidence will flow back from the players.

I followed OU football for over 50 years and in most years, when there was a heavy graduation rate, the team just simply reloaded with very little let down from the previous season. There were times when Bud and Barry (Bob included) didn't have the players to reload. Those became rebuilding years. However, the coaches always let the fans know to not expect too much from the team.

What makes this year any different from a rebuilding year? Was it because Sam, Gresham, and one O Lineman stayed on for another year? Who would have suspected the sudden injuries?

Our O Line is not up to par. OK, then make our D bring them up to the level that is expected of 4 star recruits in practice. Coach the livin crap out of them.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 08:54 PM
From what I've been reading on this subject, and mentioned before on a different thread, several of the fans feel that KW has a very low opinion (confidence) of the O Line. If this is true then that same level of confidence will flow back from the players.

I followed OU football for over 50 years and in most years, when there was a heavy graduation rate, the team just simply reloaded with very little let down from the previous season. There were times when Bud and Barry (Bob included) didn't have the players to reload. Those became rebuilding years. However, the coaches always let the fans know to not expect too much from the team.

What makes this year any different from a rebuilding year? Was it because Sam, Gresham, and one O Lineman stayed on for another year? Who would have suspected the sudden injuries?

Our O Line is not up to par. OK, then make our D bring them up to the level that is expected of 4 star recruits in practice. Coach the livin crap out of them.

I know you said you've been following for 50 years...so you know that Bud and Barry had players in reserve right? Things today aren't nearly the same. The evil eye of the NCAA and your competition are ripe to turn any rule infraction into a major news story.

As far as what makes this year any different than any other? We lost some really good players last year. The guys we are keying on now aren't as good and we seem to have some guys making major mistakes still even after they saw how bad it hurt us in the bYu game. I'm betting they get tired of being screamed at this week in practice. Maybe they'll improve. I sure hope they do.

TopDawg
10/4/2009, 09:13 PM
Wilson called too many holding penalties. That was his downfall.

I don't know what to think about this game. Our receivers were NEVER open. We rolled Landry out on one play in the 3rd quarter and it led to a sack/fumble/ball rolling out of bounds. Why? Nobody was open downfield. Oh, and did I mention that our tackle was called for holding on the play?

I don't know what pass plays he CALLED in the 3rd and 4th quarter, but I know we didn't get the ball downfield very often. But that might've had as much to do with what Landry saw out there as with anything else. Every time Landry threw a pass, there were defenders rightthere. And they were often in his face too. We might've had guys running 15-20 yard routes, but Landry might've been going short because that was all that was available in the time that he had to throw.

I dunno. I wish we would've run more play action to Eldridge or something. Late in the game they were running downhill to stop the run. It worked well for Miami when they ran it against us. Of course their TEs could run away our LBs if given a step...dunno if the same can be said for ours.

oksoonerdave
10/4/2009, 09:14 PM
I know you said you've been following for 50 years...so you know that Bud and Barry had players in reserve right? Things today aren't nearly the same. The evil eye of the NCAA and your competition are ripe to turn any rule infraction into a major news story.

As far as what makes this year any different than any other? We lost some really good players last year. The guys we are keying on now aren't as good and we seem to have some guys making major mistakes still even after they saw how bad it hurt us in the bYu game. I'm betting they get tired of being screamed at this week in practice. Maybe they'll improve. I sure hope they do.

Yep, the scholly restrictions are putting a heavy dent into the year after year reloads. I think that many of us was put into a high expectation with the return of the three players and too much was expected of them. Who knew that 2 out of 3 will be injured. Good solid coaching will bring the best out of the O Line. I still have faith in them..

PDXsooner
10/4/2009, 09:33 PM
my main question would be -- how would the program look in a perfect world? i mean, to what standard are you holding the coaches? undefeated every year? in the title hunt every year? what program(s) are at the level you'd like to be? name them if possible.

toast
10/4/2009, 09:39 PM
Wilson called too many holding penalties. That was his downfall.

I don't know what to think about this game. Our receivers were NEVER open. We rolled Landry out on one play in the 3rd quarter and it led to a sack/fumble/ball rolling out of bounds. Why? Nobody was open downfield. Oh, and did I mention that our tackle was called for holding on the play?

I don't know what pass plays he CALLED in the 3rd and 4th quarter, but I know we didn't get the ball downfield very often. But that might've had as much to do with what Landry saw out there as with anything else. Every time Landry threw a pass, there were defenders rightthere. And they were often in his face too. We might've had guys running 15-20 yard routes, but Landry might've been going short because that was all that was available in the time that he had to throw.

I dunno. I wish we would've run more play action to Eldridge or something. Late in the game they were running downhill to stop the run. It worked well for Miami when they ran it against us. Of course their TEs could run away our LBs if given a step...dunno if the same can be said for ours.

Agreed, and we don't know how much of the original game plan involved Broyles but I imagine it was somewhat significant. And I'm totally with you about the TE. Before the season started Wilson stated Hanna was in the top 5 or 6 of the receivers yet when Gresham goes down he's MIA. It's like they have completely removed the TE from the offense. I've given Greg Davis at ut all sorts of crap but when they lost their TE last year they came up with an alternative game plan that worked.

TopDawg
10/4/2009, 09:47 PM
Good question, PDX. I think a lot of the expectations are unrealistic.

The playcalling, scheme, game decisions etc. don't really bother me that much. The things that frustrate me more are our injuries (maybe we're just unlucky or maybe we need a different strength and conditioning regiment, but it seems like we deal with more injuries that most programs), the penalties, and what seems to be inadequate personnel management (recruiting and retaining players). In my opinion, a lot of the problems people have with playcalling and scheme are a direct result of some or all 3 of those issues.

The weird thing is that under Stoops we've had unparalleled success in the Big XII with our coaches (whoever they are), but since the Rose Bowl win against Wazzu at the end of the 2002 season, we are 3-9 against non-conference teams when not playing in Oklahoma. That's weird.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 09:56 PM
My expectations of having TopDawg as the Basketball Mascot was crushed and I guess unrealistic.

http://www.64-mascots.com/images/university-of-oklahoma-traditions-boomer-and-sooner-boomer-to-hoop-ok-t-boom-half.jpg

TopDawg
10/4/2009, 10:52 PM
Sadly, yes.

PDXsooner
10/4/2009, 10:53 PM
Good question, PDX. I think a lot of the expectations are unrealistic.

The playcalling, scheme, game decisions etc. don't really bother me that much. The things that frustrate me more are our injuries (maybe we're just unlucky or maybe we need a different strength and conditioning regiment, but it seems like we deal with more injuries that most programs), the penalties, and what seems to be inadequate personnel management (recruiting and retaining players). In my opinion, a lot of the problems people have with playcalling and scheme are a direct result of some or all 3 of those issues.

The weird thing is that under Stoops we've had unparalleled success in the Big XII with our coaches (whoever they are), but since the Rose Bowl win against Wazzu at the end of the 2002 season, we are 3-9 against non-conference teams when not playing in Oklahoma. That's weird.

I hear you on the injury thing -- however, don't we have the same s&c coach that we had in 2000 when we lost ZERO starters to injury all year? but it does seem like we lose a lot of players to injury, even when they go on to the NFL.

i get frustrated about these losses too, but when you compare OU to all of the great programs in the country, there really are very few in our category.

florida - the benchmark currently. they are stacked and have won 2 titles. they did have a 4-loss season between titles, though.

lsu - got pretty lucky winning one title with 2 losses. solid program, but had a 5-loss season last year.

usc - in my opinion, the best program of the decade, but their fanbase is frustrated over them losing to some crap team every year and costing them a shot at a NC.

texas - has a bit of an upper hand on us right now, after we had it on them for a 6 year run. texas has plenty of years where they lose to inferior opponents.

ohio state - put them in our category. they own their conference, but choke on the national stage.

that's about it. you have to cut the coaching staff some slack with the bradford injury. i do think the defense is underachieving for some reason. but i'm not smart enough to figure out why.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 10:53 PM
Sadly, yes.

I still feel yor pain Dawg.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 10:57 PM
that's about it. you have to cut the coaching staff some slack with the bradford injury. i do think the defense is underachieving for some reason. but i'm not smart enough to figure out why.

I think most of us fit in that catagory...however there are some who think they could do a better job...thus...I've asked them to start in another State and work their way back to Oklahoma without using any toll roads.

TopDawg
10/4/2009, 11:24 PM
I hear you on the injury thing -- however, don't we have the same s&c coach that we had in 2000 when we lost ZERO starters to injury all year? but it does seem like we lose a lot of players to injury, even when they go on to the NFL.

Yeah, but a lot of those players had been "strengthened and conditioned" under a different regime. I don't know enough about what all that entails, but I think we can all agree that the players that spent a year or two or three under Blake's S&C program surely developed differently than those who didn't. They certainly weren't as in-shape...but they may've also been less injury-prone. Again, I don't know enough about all that to say...just a thought. Maybe we're still paying off the injury gods from their good will that year.

i do think the defense is underachieving for some reason. but i'm not smart enough to figure out why.

I'm not too upset with our defensive play. They only gave up 2 "real" scoring drives in that game. To me our last 3 losses fall more on the offense than the defense.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah, but a lot of those players had been "strengthened and conditioned" under a different regime. I don't know enough about what all that entails, but I think we can all agree that the players that spent a year or two or three under Blake's S&C program surely developed differently than those who didn't.
How would your theory explain all the injuries we suffered in 1999?

Going the entire 2000 season injury-free was a total fluke, and had NOTHING to due with those guys were once coached by John Blake's staff.

Come on!

btk108
10/4/2009, 11:45 PM
its just amazing how games OU has come out and moved the ball on the first drive and then just fizzle away
step....it's like someone keeps hitting repeat on the DVR..

TopDawg
10/5/2009, 12:27 AM
How would your theory explain all the injuries we suffered in 1999?

Did we suffer alot? I don't remember.

Going the entire 2000 season injury-free was a total fluke, and had NOTHING to due with those guys were once coached by John Blake's staff.

I'm not saying it was part of a masterful plan put together by John Blake. I'm saying it might've been the result of a fortunate combination of the two S&C programs.

I'm inclined to think it was a fluke too...but either way...fluke or fortunate combination...the question remains...why are our players so prone to injury?

rawlingsHOH
10/5/2009, 12:48 AM
Yeah, we had quite a few; Calmus, Thornton, Skinner, Kempenich seem to stand out in memory.

FaninAma
10/5/2009, 09:26 AM
Sam makes defenses pay for blitzing by making good
quick reads. LJ cannot do that at this stage in his
career. Wilsonneeds to understand that and slow
down the blitz with play action when LJ is in the game.

JohnnyMack
10/5/2009, 09:28 AM
Did any of you actually bother to look at the players we had on the field on offense this past Saturday night? I mean I know that because they had a bunch of stars next to their names on some high school recruiting website that they're automatically supposed to be superstars, but maybe we could all realize that the players we trotted out there on offense just aren't that great. Sacrilege, I know.

JLEW1818
10/5/2009, 09:30 AM
yup

Mjcpr
10/5/2009, 09:30 AM
Did any of you actually bother to look at the players we had on the field on offense this past Saturday night? I mean I know that because they had a bunch of stars next to their names on some high school recruiting website that they're automatically supposed to be superstars, but maybe we could all realize that the players we trotted out there on offense just aren't that great. Sacrilege, I know.

Who recruited them?

JLEW1818
10/5/2009, 09:31 AM
Murray looks slower every year IMO

JohnnyMack
10/5/2009, 09:33 AM
Who recruited them?

Yet. Not that good yet. Do you guys realize how ridiculously inexperienced that offensive squad we rolled out there was? Look at the starters from last years 60+ points a game, NCAA record smashing offense that WEREN'T on the field and tell me again that it's all KW's fault.

JLEW1818
10/5/2009, 09:42 AM
at the beginning of the season i thought losing 4 out of 5 lineman would not be a big deal..... i also thought losing 2 starters at WR would not be a big deal.. (that had 3 years of starting experience.. in some games)

I was wrong... now that is just straight up for this year

now to add to that against Miami

no starting qb, no starting TE, no number 1 wr (2nd half)

so for the second half of Miami

from 2008 we were playing without , 4 starting lineman, the Heisman qb, TOP 4 RECEIVING THREATS, including Jermaine.

that's hard

thank god their qb threw 2 picks in the first quarter

JohnnyMack
10/5/2009, 09:46 AM
so for the second half of Miami

from 2008 we were playing without , 4 starting lineman, the Heisman qb, TOP 4 RECEIVING THREATS, including Jermaine.

that's hard

thank god their qb threw 2 picks in the first quarter

No. See you're wrong. We're Oklahoma. Those boys put on the uniform and POOF! They're instant All-Americans.

JLEW1818
10/5/2009, 09:47 AM
No. See you're wrong. We're Oklahoma. Those boys put on the uniform and POOF! They're instant All-Americans.

:D

i use to be like that... now I've actually grown up to realize we are not always the best.

sure the injuries have killed us.... but this oline just makes me go :eek:

Mjcpr
10/5/2009, 09:47 AM
Yet. Not that good yet. Do you guys realize how ridiculously inexperienced that offensive squad we rolled out there was? Look at the starters from last years 60+ points a game, NCAA record smashing offense that WEREN'T on the field and tell me again that it's all KW's fault.

I understand that but WHO'S FAULT IS THAT? Obviously, due to the enormous impact of injuries, we are undermanned but IMO the staff as a whole has never done a good job of getting young players experience when it's 60-0, preparing for Plan B in case of injury and redshirting. We seem to be perpetually thin at some position somewhere....usually OL and LB but now you can add DB, TE and WR. How can you recruit for this many years have this many whiffs?

JohnnyMack
10/5/2009, 10:07 AM
I understand that but WHO'S FAULT IS THAT? Obviously, due to the enormous impact of injuries, we are undermanned but IMO the staff as a whole has never done a good job of getting young players experience when it's 60-0, preparing for Plan B in case of injury and redshirting. We seem to be perpetually thin at some position somewhere....usually OL and LB but now you can add DB, TE and WR. How can you recruit for this many years have this many whiffs?

When you have pesky things like scholarship limits in place it's a bit difficult to make sure every position has the kind of experienced depth you're asking for.

Mjcpr
10/5/2009, 10:14 AM
When you have pesky things like scholarship limits in place it's a bit difficult to make sure every position has the kind of experienced depth you're asking for.

Oh. How can we get around those limits like Florida, Texas, USC, et all seem to?

Pigface1
10/5/2009, 10:25 AM
Seems every year we have a disproportionate number of injuries compared to most other teams around the country.

JohnnyMack
10/5/2009, 10:31 AM
Oh. How can we get around those limits like Florida, Texas, USC, et all seem to?

There's ebbs and flows every year. You weren't bitching about this last year because we returned experienced depth.

Look we went 34 - 8 since the rebuilding 05 season. We built off the experienced gained in that season and it propelled us along nicely for many years. Then we lost a lot of that depth and have to spend time building it back up. You think FL won't be a little down next year (or in '11) once this young group of kids they have now passes through? Think Saxet won't take a hit when McCoy, Shipley, Ulatoski, et al leave?

Mjcpr
10/5/2009, 10:36 AM
Okay....we disagree I guess.

okiewaker
10/5/2009, 11:04 AM
I read through some threads i thought this might be in but i could not find. When murray scored in the third to make it 21-16,anyone know why we didn't go for two? I might have missed something and was curious.

Oldnslo
10/5/2009, 11:17 AM
I read through some threads i thought this might be in but i could not find. When murray scored in the third to make it 21-16,anyone know why we didn't go for two? I might have missed something and was curious.

FWIW, I agreed with the call NOT to go for 2. Way to early to go chasing points. I don't have a problem with kicking the FG with 4 minutes to go, either. We just needed a stop that we didn't get.

bri
10/5/2009, 11:21 AM

Because there was still the entire fourth quarter to go. It would have been stupid to go for it in that situation. You kick the PAT, and then even if they tack on a field goal it's still just a one-score game. Go for two and miss it, and you're chasing that point the rest of the way.

okiewaker
10/5/2009, 11:21 AM
FWIW, I agreed with the call NOT to go for 2. Way to early to go chasing points. I don't have a problem with kicking the FG with 4 minutes to go, either. We just needed a stop that we didn't get.

Makes sense, still alot of time left in the game.

TopDawg
10/5/2009, 11:41 AM
That's what Stoops said in his coach's show too. He said he doesn't like going for two until the 4th quarter. I thought it was a good call. The thought of going for 2 didn't even cross my mind at the time.

I'm with Mjcpr on the recruiting thing. I think that we've done a poor job recruiting, retaining and/or preparing players at key positions. There is ebb and flow with the experience factor, sure, and the injuries have hampered things quite a bit too...but we have a shocking...SHOCKING...lack of talent on the o-line and at the WR position. The problem is that the lack of talent at one only makes the lack of talent at the other more apparent.

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 11:44 AM
I have been giving KW as much carp as anybody on here, but I thought today about what we had out there on offense:

QB: RS Freshman (talented, but inexperienced)
RB: Coming off of an injury last year and no contact in practice in the offseason
WR: Three new starters with almost no experience, one of which, who is in my sig, was a soccer player
TE: Great blocker, but has never really been used as a receiver, the other TE is a soph.
LT: A converted RT (and there is a big difference due to speed rushers)
LG: A converted DT
C: See Landry Jones
RG: True Freshman (could be a star next year)
RT: Transfer (and if you have seen the way that LSU's line has been playing, that should tell you a lot)

Whereas I think there needs to be a long and hard look at what KW is doing and whether or not he is putting these guys in position to win, but that offense is in rebuild mode right now.

Mjcpr
10/5/2009, 11:46 AM
That's what Stoops said in his coach's show too. He said he doesn't like going for two until the 4th quarter. I thought it was a good call. The thought of going for 2 didn't even cross my mind at the time.

I'm with Mjcpr on the recruiting thing. I think that we've done a poor job recruiting, retaining and/or preparing players at key positions. There is ebb and flow with the experience factor, sure, and the injuries have hampered things quite a bit too...but we have a shocking...SHOCKING...lack of talent on the o-line and at the WR position. The problem is that the lack of talent at one only makes the lack of talent at the other more apparent.

One of the most shocking things I've read about this diaster was the Dejuan Miller and Jamell Owens didn't even make the trip to Miami. DID NOT MAKE THE TRIP!!! Two guys who were supposed to be studs can't even make the travel roster at a position where have NO playmakers? Shocking to me. Tennell is obviously not going to become a player if he hasn't by now; at least Caleb has shown small signs of being a contributor but we need a WHOLE lot more than from those guys.

OUmillenium
10/5/2009, 11:49 AM
this too^

Sasakwa
10/5/2009, 02:23 PM
From what I've been reading on this subject, and mentioned before on a different thread, several of the fans feel that KW has a very low opinion (confidence) of the O Line.

But he has a high opinion of them for the opening drives? First drive LJ is throwing mid range to deep passes, mixed with runs and the ball gets driven down Miami's throat for a score. The up 10-0, all of the sudden its running plays on 3rd and 7? In the second half me, every Miami defender and the rest of the world knew every play was going to be a run. I don't get it, is the plan to get a 10 point lead then run clock and rely on the defense to shut the other team out? Thats ok if there is 3 minutes left in the 4th, not if its the first quarter.

soonerspudman
10/5/2009, 03:04 PM

by Texas?

Getting back to the thread's original premise, on OU's last two drives of the game I saw several plays where UM stacked ALL ELEVEN GUYS within 10 yards of the LOS, I thought to myself "this is awesome, audible TE fly, post/corner or somehting, easy six", and we'd run off tackle for no gain.

If we have that little faith in our ability to throw, it's going to be a really long year, even with SB back. I kjnow KW and Bob are smart football guys, but what I saw in this game just seemed to defy logic.

Soonerhaze
10/5/2009, 03:25 PM
I know that I'm going to get blasted for this, but I really don't care. After reading the DUMB comments on this board it makes me realize that there are very few people who understand football. Let me explain this very clear for everyone then you guys can go about saying whatever you want to make yourselves feel better....

A great coach molds his offense around the players he has, not the other way around. For 8 weeks in spring, for 3 weeks in fall, and game week you practice certain plays because you have certain players. You lose the most important elements of that offense 4 days before kickoff, in the first quarter of both losses and what are you left with? Do you honestly think there was a whole different playbook out there? You can't practice enough because of time limits to ensure you'll be prepared if you lose your best 3 offensive weapons.

You ask why did we conservative after the first 2 drives?? Broyles was hurt in the first quarter after those drives. Why didn't we throw the ball downfield?? Wake up!! Throw to who?? The JUCO soccer playing transfer? Caleb, the junior who hasn't been good enough to play the first 3 years he's been here? How bout the 5th yr. senior who hasn't been good enough to play either and has more drops than catches? What about Miller?? What about him?? He's overrated obviously and a freshman. Madu? First year at receiver.

If I'm KW, then yes, I'm running the ball because just so you know, run blocking is a heck of a lot easier than pass blocking. I'm not going to have Jones taking 5 and 7 step drops with that line when I know if he goes down, walk-on John Nimmo is coming in. I got 2 great players and they happen to both be RBs. If you noticed, Caleb, the only guy catching the ball is being shadowed by a safety so double coverage has him out, and our other starter is Kenney, which he'll be good eventually, but not good enough right now to do the things he needed to do to help us win.

KW did the best he could with what he had. Which gave us a chance to win. Not to damn bad in my book. We just had bad luck this year. IT happens. Just remember how close we came to hiring Dennis Franchione instead of Stoops. Be grateful and if you have the balls to call for a man's job, then know what you're talking about.

SoonerLB
10/5/2009, 03:27 PM
Getting back to the thread's original premise, on OU's last two drives of the game I saw several plays where UM stacked ALL ELEVEN GUYS within 10 yards of the LOS, I thought to myself "this is awesome, audible TE fly, post/corner or somehting, easy six", and we'd run off tackle for no gain.

If we have that little faith in our ability to throw, it's going to be a really long year, even with SB back. I kjnow KW and Bob are smart football guys, but what I saw in this game just seemed to defy logic.

Well said, especially the 'defy logic' part!

soonerspudman
10/5/2009, 05:00 PM
I know that I'm going to get blasted for this, but I really don't care. After reading the DUMB comments on this board it makes me realize that there are very few people who understand football. Let me explain this very clear for everyone then you guys can go about saying whatever you want to make yourselves feel better....

A great coach molds his offense around the players he has, not the other way around. For 8 weeks in spring, for 3 weeks in fall, and game week you practice certain plays because you have certain players. You lose the most important elements of that offense 4 days before kickoff, in the first quarter of both losses and what are you left with? Do you honestly think there was a whole different playbook out there? You can't practice enough because of time limits to ensure you'll be prepared if you lose your best 3 offensive weapons.

You ask why did we conservative after the first 2 drives?? Broyles was hurt in the first quarter after those drives. Why didn't we throw the ball downfield?? Wake up!! Throw to who?? The JUCO soccer playing transfer? Caleb, the junior who hasn't been good enough to play the first 3 years he's been here? How bout the 5th yr. senior who hasn't been good enough to play either and has more drops than catches? What about Miller?? What about him?? He's overrated obviously and a freshman. Madu? First year at receiver.

If I'm KW, then yes, I'm running the ball because just so you know, run blocking is a heck of a lot easier than pass blocking. I'm not going to have Jones taking 5 and 7 step drops with that line when I know if he goes down, walk-on John Nimmo is coming in. I got 2 great players and they happen to both be RBs. If you noticed, Caleb, the only guy catching the ball is being shadowed by a safety so double coverage has him out, and our other starter is Kenney, which he'll be good eventually, but not good enough right now to do the things he needed to do to help us win.

KW did the best he could with what he had. Which gave us a chance to win. Not to damn bad in my book. We just had bad luck this year. IT happens. Just remember how close we came to hiring Dennis Franchione instead of Stoops. Be grateful and if you have the balls to call for a man's job, then know what you're talking about.

Gee, thanks for the awesome enlightenment. Maybe that's the case, but you also take what the defense gives you, and stacking the box is giving you the best pass option, espciallly when you're in a third and long. I stick to my point, if you're afraid to throw against that kind of defensive alignment, regardless of the excuse, it's going to be a long year, becuase 90% of the time you'll get stuffed at the line (see fourth quarter replay).

TopDawg
10/5/2009, 05:32 PM
and stacking the box is giving you the best pass option, espciallly when you're in a third and long.

Were they stacking the box on third and long?

Br33zE
10/5/2009, 09:03 PM
This problem goes back a ways. I'm just really glad someone else is seeing it. I have no problem mixing it up for a big game, but let's trade in our ferrari for a lamborghini. We shouldn't show up in a d4mn vw bug. I always hear "you have to take what they'll give you", but a good coordinator (with OU caliber players) should force them to give you something! KW's gotta go. Give it to Heipel.

sozo
10/5/2009, 11:31 PM
:D

i use to be like that... now I've actually grown up to realize we are not always the best.

sure the injuries have killed us.... but this oline just makes me go :eek:
Yep,what he said.

sozo
10/5/2009, 11:34 PM
But I have seen all the run,run pass sequences I care about seeing when we can't run the ball.