PDA

View Full Version : 3rd downs were the key to the game

Hot Rod
10/4/2009, 05:45 PM
When Miami had a 3rd down conversion to make, we blitzed and Harris threw it into our open coverage all night long.

When OU had a long 3rd down conversion to make, Kevin Wilson decides not to pass the ball, but rather a run a draw play on multiple occasions.

That's where I felt like Miami had the advantage and OU didn't.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 05:49 PM
When Miami had a 3rd down conversion to make, we blitzed and Harris threw it into our open coverage all night long.

When OU had a long 3rd down conversion to make, Kevin Wilson decides not to pass the ball, but rather a run a draw play on multiple occasions.

I agree with half of your statement. I don't care if Miami went 15 for 20 on third down and rolled up 500 yards. As long as we keep them out of the endzone I'm ok with it. The D did a pretty good job of that.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 05:52 PM
Yep. Not having the most points is usually the key. Well that and turnovers like fumbles deep into your territory.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 05:53 PM
I agree with half of your statement. I don't care if Miami went 15 for 20 on third down and rolled up 500 yards. As long as we keep them out of the endzone I'm ok with it. The D did a pretty good job of that.

I care. Even when they don't score if they convert third down after third down that's just more time our defense has to spend on the field which means they tire out more quickly. This whole "it's okay to give up tons of yards as long as we don't give up tons of points" thing is not okay.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 05:55 PM
I care. Even when they don't score if they convert third down after third down that's just more time our defense has to spend on the field which means they tire out more quickly. This whole "it's okay to give up tons of yards as long as we don't give up tons of points" thing is not okay.

No, its just not ok to you and some others. You do realize this D is in the top 10 nationally in like 5 categories don't u?

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 05:59 PM
No, its just not ok to you and some others. You do realize this D is in the top 10 nationally in like 5 categories don't u?

After 4 games, one of which was against a subdivision team. Let's see where they are at the end of the year.

The defense is as much to blame for our losses this year (and the past few) as the offense. In crunch time the defense can't get a stop. There was plenty of time left after our last field goal if the defense could have stopped them but they didn't.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 06:00 PM
After 4 games, one of which was against a subdivision team. Let's see where they are at the end of the year.

The defense is as much to blame for our losses this year (and the past few) as the offense. In crunch time the defense can't get a stop. There was plenty of time left after our last field goal if the defense could have stopped them but they didn't.

OK. You win.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 06:06 PM
OK. You win.

Whatever. That's not what it's about.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 06:10 PM
Whatever. That's not what it's about.

Ok. Venables needs to go. Is that what its about?

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 06:14 PM
Ok. Venables needs to go. Is that what its about?

I'd rather see him adjust better in games and not fall victim to the same plays over and over again, but if he can't do that (and he hasn't yet after several years) then maybe he should go, or at least be demoted.

GKeeper316
10/4/2009, 06:14 PM

exactly... and since the new clock rules went into effect last season, a team can no longer afford to allow sustained drives, regardless of if they get any points. the longer they have the ball, the better chance they have of winning, just because your production is being limited.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 06:21 PM

We had to blitz because our front 4 (with the exception of Beal) was totally dominated all night.

If we didn't blitz, he would have had all day, and the results would have been the same.