PDA

View Full Version : FRANKS PUNT RETURN

okcusooner
10/4/2009, 02:44 PM
I have mixed feelings about Franks' big punt return.

It was a great run that turned out well.

On the other hand, he was standing on the two when he fielded the punt. By far the smart play is to let it go into the endzone. It makes me wonder, not for the first time in recent years, if enough of our players have the smarts to match their athletic ability.

Reminds me of Kurt Russell's line from "Miracle" when he says, "I'm not looking for the best players, but the right players."

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 02:45 PM
So now their all stupid?

http://www.poormojo.org/pmjadaily/archives/Blank-Facepalm.gif

okcusooner
10/4/2009, 02:53 PM
So now their all stupid?

http://www.poormojo.org/pmjadaily/archives/Blank-Facepalm.gif

Stoop:

Like many things in life, Soonerfans.com is what we make of it. It certainly becomes less than it could be when you reflexively and uncritically respond to any given post.

Go back and read my post, I don't come anywhere near saying "their (sic) all stupid."

This forum could be a lot better if people followed the adage "Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something"

I will be the first to thank you if you do the same.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 02:56 PM
What does this mean?

if enough of our players have the smarts to match their athletic ability.

Thanks for the wise words Buddha.....lol

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 02:56 PM
When he caught the ball I thought he was an idiot. Within 5 seconds I thought he was a genius. :)

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2009, 02:57 PM
I loved the punt return. I'm sure he was going against coaching, but we desperately needed someone to make a play at that point in the game. You think our offense had much of chance to march 80yds for a TD? BTW, I never got onto Reggie Smith for the exact same reason at CU. The snowball was rolling downhill against us in that game too and we really needed a play to turn the tide. Too bad Reggie didn't execute, but he wasn't the reason things were crumbling so quickly at that point in the game.

okiewaker
10/4/2009, 02:59 PM
I thought oh crap but soon was cheering!!!

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 03:00 PM
Here's some wise words....

"An ant may destroy a whole dam"

"Bad things never walk alone"

"flies never visit an egg with no cracks"

"He who knows others are wise: He who knows himself is enlightened"

okcusooner
10/4/2009, 03:01 PM
I loved the punt return. I'm sure he was going against coaching, but we desperately needed someone to make a play at that point in the game. You think our offense had much of chance to march 80yds for a TD? BTW, I never got onto Reggie Smith for the exact same reason at CU. The snowball was rolling downhill against us in that game too and we really needed a play to turn the tide. Too bad Reggie didn't execute, but he wasn't the reason things were crumbling so quickly at that point in the game.

Your point is valid. Part of why I really had mixed feelings about the play. I'd love to know if the coaches said anything to him as he ran out to his position. Perhaps he was told to return anything he could get his hands on, no matter where it came to him. Be an interesting fact to learn.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 03:01 PM
When he caught the ball I thought he was an idiot. Within 5 seconds I thought he was a genius. :)

Exactly. Earlier in the Game thread I said something to the fact that we might need a change back there. Dom showed his vision IMO.

okcusooner
10/4/2009, 03:02 PM
I thought oh crap but soon was cheering!!!

I'm with you....it was the classic situation where you are yelling, "NO NO NO NO..yes yes yes"

soonerinabilene
10/4/2009, 03:02 PM
Two times I have seen a punt fielded at the two in a Sooner game, and both times it turned out good for the Sooners. With that said, i screamed "What the f*ck are you doing" when he caught it.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 03:06 PM
I'm with you....it was the classic situation where you are yelling, "NO NO NO NO..yes yes yes...it's to bad your not smart enough to match your ability!"

Fixed. :D