PDA

View Full Version : 1 observation

Sooner5030
10/4/2009, 02:38 PM
On the road or at a neutral site it appears we go into ‘fetal position’ mode on offense the last half.

If you refuse to throw the ball downfield then the other team only has to defend 10 yards or so. Everyone looks at the low probability of completing the long pass but fail to take into account the 2nd and 3rd order effects it has on the team defending you and the calls they are forced to make.

Has anyone else noticed this trend or am I just being too critical after another loss to a good team on the road?

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 02:40 PM
On the road or at a neutral site it appears we go into ‘fetal position’ mode on offense the last half.

If you refuse to throw the ball downfield then the other team only has to defend 10 yards or so. Everyone looks at the low probability of completing the long pass but fail to take into account the 2nd and 3rd order effects it has on the team defending you and the calls they are forced to make.

Has anyone else noticed this trend or am I just being too critical after another loss to a good team on the road?

I think everyone has noticed it, with the exception of our coaching staff.
Our opponents coaching staffs have definitely noticed it.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2009, 02:49 PM
See lots of other threads. I think this game was a perfect example of the value of stretching the field. Miami twice went deep early and had the worst possible outcome - 2 interceptions. And yet it still opened up their shorter pass game as our D had to respect that there were willing to try it. If the QB is good and the receiver does his job, a deep throw should rarely be picked. And even if it is picked, it should only be like punting on an early down. Obviously, it is reckless to do this all the time, but there is great value in making the D play the whole field.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 02:52 PM
How true. Miami went deep and threw 2 ints. Their QB was sacked at least 4 times. They didn't go into the fetal position. They had more reason to be conservative than we did.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 02:54 PM
Another observation might have been that not only did we lose Ryan Broyles....KW quit depending on Brown and started punishing them with Murray.

Something that I think he should have done awhile back. Brown is our#2 back at best. I did see Madu trying to create some excitement too. Something I hope Stoops and Wilson see when they go over the game tape. Madu wants in the game. I'd put him in more. Madu looked like he reacted like a winner would on the road to me.

okiewaker
10/4/2009, 02:57 PM
I'd like to see them try to get Madu in more as well.^^^^

Curly Bill
10/4/2009, 06:57 PM
I'd like to see KW in a pressure situation coach like he's not in the Big 10.

OUmillenium
10/4/2009, 08:07 PM
Good posts from all ^. Thats rare for a thread today. Probably the first non crimson colored glasses post by StoopTroup.