PDA

View Full Version : Sick of having no confidence in our field goal kicker

jkjsooner
10/4/2009, 12:43 PM
I'm really sick of, for the second year in a row, having no confidence in our field goal kicker. The fake kick wasn't about Stoops having guts as it was about us having little confidence in our kicker. (I know he's 4 for 5 or whatever but let's face it, he's not good and we clearly have no faith in him.)

How hard is it to find a decent kicker? You have 85 scholarships for goodness sakes save one for a kicker.

Collier11
10/4/2009, 12:52 PM
Are you ok in there? Stevens is kicking the hell out of the ball this year, not sure where you are coming from with this one.

okcusooner
10/4/2009, 01:02 PM
I'm really sick of, for the second year in a row, having no confidence in our field goal kicker. The fake kick wasn't about Stoops having guts as it was about us having little confidence in our kicker. (I know he's 4 for 5 or whatever but let's face it, he's not good and we clearly have no faith in him.)

How hard is it to find a decent kicker? You have 85 scholarships for goodness sakes save one for a kicker.

I thought the kicking was one of the lone bright spots last night. Stevens nailed that pressure kick...Way punted beautifully all night.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 01:06 PM
I'm guessing Stoops didn't recruit someone who could be 100% from 60 yards out.

That sumbeach should be fired for not finding a guy for us. :D

GottaHavePride
10/4/2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I thought the fake kick was a nice flash of the way we used to play when Leach / Mangino were here. Kicking was solid all last night.

In fact, I'd say othr than having a lousy day against BYU, our kickers have been pretty good this season.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/4/2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I thought the fake kick was a nice flash of the way we used to play when Leach / Mangino were here.

+1

jumperstop
10/4/2009, 01:48 PM
kicking was good...some people just need to find another thing to complain about.

westbrooke
10/4/2009, 01:54 PM
jkj, you might be right about confidence in a long field goal having something to do with that call, but I think Stoops might have made that call anyway. Given the field position and the yards to make a first, I thought it was a solid call and a flash of the old Stoops. If Wilson is going to handcuff the offense in these games, then I like seeing some risks from Stoops.

CrimsonJim
10/4/2009, 02:01 PM
kicking was good...some people just need to find another thing to complain about.

This. ^^^

OUmillenium
10/4/2009, 02:04 PM
And thank goodness for Doms return or we would not have had a chance at anything late in the game.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 02:08 PM
And thank goodness for Doms return or we would not have had a chance at anything late in the game.

I thought that one good stiff arm might have allowed him to go to the hOUse. We would have knocked a lung loose with that one...

Collier11
10/4/2009, 02:12 PM
if he had returned that punt 99 yards or held onto that pick 6 I would have busted a blood vessel

achiro
10/4/2009, 02:14 PM
jkj you defend KW conservative play calling in another thread and bash the kicking game in this one? Are you sure you are watching the same games we are?:confused:

westbrooke
10/4/2009, 02:19 PM
I've been ragging on Franks, and I still think his coverage has been subpar this year, but credit where it's due: that return was huge and might have been remembered as the game changer if we had pulled that game out.

Collier11
10/4/2009, 02:36 PM
In essence, our D gave up 14 pts to a ranked team on the road, id say they played just fine.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 02:38 PM
In essence, our D gave up 14 pts to a ranked team on the road, id say they played just fine.

I agree. I wouldn't say the D is playing well, but they are playing well enough to win. The offense on the other hand...................:confused:

Collier11
10/4/2009, 02:57 PM
They are def much improved over last year, giving up only 7ppg thru 4 games, 3 against pretty good offenses is not too bad

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2009, 03:02 PM
If we had no confidence in the kicker, we would have tried to convert on 4th and 11. I think the fake was an attempt to get things going our way.

Eielson
10/4/2009, 03:15 PM
I'm really sick of, for the second year in a row, having no confidence in our field goal kicker. The fake kick wasn't about Stoops having guts as it was about us having little confidence in our kicker.

If this were true then Stoops would not have kicked that last field goal.

CrimsonJim
10/4/2009, 03:44 PM
If this were true then Stoops would not have kicked that last field goal.

Absolutely correct. That was a 39 yarder and he nailed it.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 06:24 PM

OU fans are completely irrational.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 06:25 PM
Special teams have actually been pretty good this year. A huge improvement over last season.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 06:27 PM
All except the kickoff return team.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 06:29 PM
All except the kickoff return team.

Yeah, unfortunately they haven't gotten better or even stayed the same. Murray and Iglesias were pretty good at it, but obviously with Murray's injury history you don't want to put him out there for that. We may have to deal with an average return game this year.

Everything else, though, has at least improved by a little if not a lot in some areas (kickoff coverage).

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah, unfortunately they haven't gotten better or even stayed the same. Murray and Iglesias were pretty good at it, but obviously with Murray's injury history you don't want to put him out there for that. We may have to deal with an average return game this year.

Yeah. I just looked and we're ranked 106. Lower than I thought.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 06:50 PM

Everything else, though, has at least improved by a little if not a lot in some areas (kickoff coverage).

We were #1 and #5 in the nation the previous 2 seasons. Hard to get better than that.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_teamkickret&site=org&div=IA&dest=O
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&rpt=IA_teamkickret&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Part of the reason the KO returns aren't as good...
A) Murray/Iglesias no longer back there
B) we only got 1 attempt in the Tulsa and Idaho games, due to shutouts.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 06:55 PM
That is also true. I expect we'll get our fair share of chances to return kickoffs against Texas, so maybe we'll see some good production then.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 06:59 PM
That is also true. I expect we'll get our fair share of chances to return kickoffs against Texas, so maybe we'll see some good production then. :D

stoopified
10/4/2009, 07:21 PM
I'm guessing Stoops didn't recruit someone who could be 100% from 60 yards out.

That sumbeach should be fired for not finding a guy for us. :DHaven't you heard?That sumbeach Stoops is going to be fired for only winning 10 games this year.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 07:35 PM
Haven't you heard?That sumbeach Stoops is going to be fired for only winning 10 games this year.

Will they tar and feather him if he's 9-3? :pop:

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 07:36 PM
That is also true. I expect we'll get our fair share of chances to return kickoffs against Texas, so maybe we'll see some good production then.

There you are....come back here!

Curly Bill
10/4/2009, 07:59 PM
What's the over/under on KOR against UTerus?

Ima say 6.