PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Basketball Thread

IronHorseSooner
10/4/2009, 11:54 AM
Folks, I am going to start this by giving what I think the starters and back ups will be, and then with a player-by-player break down of their individual strengths and weaknesses.

Now for the starting five:

PG- Tommy Mason-Griffin
SG- Willie Warren
SF- Tony Crocker
PF- Keith "Tiny" Gallon
C- Orlando Allen

Whereas last year's starting five had two NBA players and WW, this year's starting five will have 3 MDAAs and a 4-year starter with Crock. I had no problem putting these guys into the line up, simply due to their natural ability, and their impact they have on the team. TMG is a Sherron Collins style PG, powerfully built, good outside shot, and tough. He's quick enough to penetrate a defense, but strong enough to finish. WW is a special talent, and will be a preseason first team AA. He will likely be a top 5 pick in 2010. Crock is a four-year guy, who started to regain his confidence in the NCAAs. He will be the senior statesman, and he is the best on-ball defender on the team. He will be the glue-guy. Tiny might be the most fun to watch of all of them. How can you not get psyched about a 6'9", 300 lb guy who can sky for thunder dunks, and hit the three? He reminds most experts of Tractor Trailer. He will be a different type of big man than Blake or Taylor. The most intriguing of the starting five will be "The Big O." He's has the size and work ethic to be productive. Last year, he was buried behind Blake, Taylor, and Patillo. They are all gone. Coach Capel loves his work ethic and attitude. With the other four starters, he won't be asked to be a 10 and 7 guy, he will just need to play decent defense against the opposing team's best big. If he does develop into a guy who can get 8 and 5, this team can be special.

The next five:

PG- Steve Pledger
SG- Cade Davis
SF- Ray Willis
PF- Andrew Fitzgerald
C- Ryan Wright

Now, this unit doesn't have a true PG, but Pledger is as close as it gets. In reality, WW is the back up PG, but look for Coach Capel to work with Pledger or Davis on running the offense, especially early in the season against weaker opponents to get them time. This unit has some really good shooters with Pledger and Davis. If anything happens to the starting perimeter players, look for these guys to step in and produce. Ray Willis has a world of talent, and looks to be the lanky-long armed successor to Crock. He can get to the basket, and doesn't lack confidence. Fitzgerald is a highly-touted big-man who will likely rotate with Allen in the middle. Look for that line-up to be used against a team like UTerus with their inside girth. The time is now for Wright. He has the physique and ability to help this team, and he needs to come in and provide good defense and rebounding.

The only other player of the remaining five who will likely see any time would be Kyle Hardrick, but he could be a candidate for redshirt. If he did play, he would add another big man to the rotation (6'8", 215) who could likely play all three front court positions.

zeptrey
10/5/2009, 04:18 PM
You think Orlando will play ahead of Ryan Wright?

IronHorseSooner
10/5/2009, 04:32 PM
That was, obviously, the most difficult position for me to project. I think Wright, Allen, or Fitz could play there. Coach Capel loves his work ethic, and word is that he has shed some weight and is looking good in the offseason. Wright is more of a reserve, and Fitz could, by season end, be there as a DeJuan Blair type. It will likely be a center-by-committee line up, but I look for Allen to get the early season nod, but Wright and Fitz to get significant minutes.

Collier11
10/5/2009, 05:11 PM
Everyone keeps saying Allen has improved the most this summer, if he keeps improving then yes. To me Wright is nothing more than a good defender and rebounder off the bench

zeptrey
10/5/2009, 05:23 PM
But he was still way better on both sides of the floor than the Big O. The Big O better have improved a lot.

I Am Right
10/5/2009, 06:14 PM
You think Orlando will play ahead of Ryan Wright?

NO

OUbasketball4life
10/5/2009, 06:28 PM
In the Sunday Oklahoman yesterday it mentioned that football recruit Justin Mccay has committed to play basketball anyone know about his skills on the court?

stoopified
10/8/2009, 02:14 PM
The only thing I would say about that projected starting 5 is that I don't think both Allen and Gallon will start.I just think that most teams in college basketball rely on quickness and I don't see Allen,Gallon in concert providing that.For that reason I think Wright,Fitzgerald,or Hardrick will be at the other post.Iknow many have already written off Kyle BUT Capel had almost 3 years after Hardrick committed to withdraw a scholly offer.The fact that Jeff signed him anyway tells me the kid must have game.It is awful early to be projecting but I am excited and looking forward to this season.

IronHorseSooner
10/8/2009, 02:32 PM
Well, just trying to get folks psyched about the season. I think we can be really good, and I like the way that the schedule sets up. The issue with this team will be finding who will be that "fifth" guy. Some have even mentioned that they might play a 4-out, 1-in line up with Cade Davis being the last starter. There are some teams (OSU, Baylor, Nebbish, CU, and some of the lesser non-cons) where that line up would work. Very likely, it will be a center-by-committee with Fitz, Hardrick, Wright, and Allen all getting minutes. Each brings something a little different. Allen brings size, Fitz brings shot blocking with reach, Wright has the most experience, and Hardrick is likely the most versatile of the group. The early season should allow Coach Capel to evaluate which one should get the nod. I see Allen there just because of the work he has put in. Both Coach and Blake have commented on this. If you could get a 6'11', 260 lb player to work into that position, that would be quite a coup. I have also read where they will look to push more next year. That might lean more to a kid like Hardrick or Wright, or a 4-guard line up. Crock and Willis are definitely tall and long enough to match up with taller players at the 4. If you look around the league, KU, A&M, UTerus, and ISU all have at least one good post player. Of those, only KU has multiple truly good post players (Aldrich and the Twins). Gonzaga usually has tall big men, but they are notoriously soft, and are more perimeter guys who can be guarded by guys like Crock and Willis.

SoonerDutch
10/8/2009, 05:34 PM
In the Sunday Oklahoman yesterday it mentioned that football recruit Justin Mccay has committed to play basketball anyone know about his skills on the court?

It's on rivals. Also Harrison Barnes and Doron Lamb were in Norman over the weekend.
http://ouhoops.com/?p=1098

stoopified
10/11/2009, 06:42 PM
It's on rivals. Also Harrison Barnes and Doron Lamb were in Norman over the weekend.
http://ouhoops.com/?p=1098WOW!It looks like Capel is keeping the topnotch recruiting full speed ahead.Never could understand why Billy and KS couldn't keep it going when they had Elite Eight/Final Four teams.They both got caught up in recruiting juco studs instead of getting HS prospects to build on.

IronHorseSooner
10/11/2009, 07:15 PM
Coach Capel is a young, energetic coach who attracts players to play in a fun system. He's not like KS who would literally yell at his players NOT to shoot the ball. That's why they would go 5 to 6 minutes without a point and give up soem 15-20 point leads. Billy's system was fun, but many viewed his program as a regional power, and not a national program, even though he had a lot of success. Coach Capel comes from a great coaching tree, and is the son of a coach. He also has a lot of connections back East, which has opened us up to the really good HS and Prep guys from that region. This is how we got Tiny, Fitz, and Pledger. Mix in some good to players from OK & North Texas, and you have the formula to keep us a Top 20fixture for a long time.

the_ouskull
10/12/2009, 12:47 AM

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Justin+McCay+basketball&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=2cca7b2e99206b9c

the_ouskull