PDA

View Full Version : Planning against defeat..

Boooom!
10/4/2009, 10:47 AM
Is much different then planning for victory...

Many today will watch some NFL games that will be a game to the very end. The team that is up by 7 or 14+ at the start of the 3rd Q, in several cases, will end up being the team that looses.

Oklahoma is almost a victim of it's own success..and I believe that our loses are evidence of that. We have one strategy, it seems, and that is to step on the necks of our opponents from the start until the game is over or well in hand. The problem is that we are not sure how to respond when that opponent gets out from under our foot and slugs us a couple of times...we havnt planned against defeat.

What coach in their right minds would implement such thinking? What coach would tell their staff and players to plan against defeat? Well.. not at the college level that is... and only if it comes natural by way of many losses in the past. This is why (and I know im gonna catch heck for it), but this is why Stoops would not make a good NFL coach.

We do not lack the talent.. from players to coaches. We havnt been beaten by a grossly superior team since UCS beat the snot out of us. What we have lacked hasnt been conditioning, or even execution.. what we have lacked is the ability, or mindset (the coaches that is) to reverse-engineer a defeat in real time and turn it into a victory. Such thinking just isnt apart of who OU is...and it wont be unless the day comes were we are loosing 1 out of every three games on a regular basis.

It should be abundantly obvious to just about every coach out there and in order to beat OU, you must stay with us until the middle of the 3rd Q. If a team can do that, the chances of beating us go up greatly. And the reason is because we do not have anything in our playbook to deal with such situations. Our game plan of "murder-death-kill" isnt working..and there is no fix.

Perhaps they do and I just dont see it, but I highy doubt Stoops allows for it.. and that is to allow the coaching staff to spend any amount of preparation time during the week planning for "Its the 3rd Q and we are down by 14..what do we do?"

We are not a come back, come from behind team...and havnt been (havnt needed to be)... for a long time.

I am going to speak near blasphemy here ... but Smack Brown knows this. Many teams out there have or are figuring it out. Take Texas for example... in games were they seem like it could be possible they go down in defeat (in the 1st half), make some incredible adjustments at half time and roll over their opponent the rest of the game.

We have only one speed and one plan...because we plan only for victory.. we do not plan against defeat.