PDA

View Full Version : The reason(s) we lost

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/4/2009, 09:40 AM
Our O line sucks big time and was infinitely better last season. However down the stretch last season mainly against Florida they started to play bad. Which brings me to...

Guys, I love my Sooner football. I hate seeing them lose as much as the next guy but after seeing us lose to Florida by 10 with multiple chances to score, losing to BYU by 1 with multiple chances to score, losing to Miami by 1 with multiple chances to score...You get the point. It starts to make wonder what the F is going on in Kevin Wilson's head. I am putting those 3 losses directly on his shoulders. Good coaches make adjustments as the game progresses and keep the defense off balance. Our O is predictable but just fast paced, which can be practiced for. I USUALLY try to stray away from calling for coaches heads but this loss was the last straw for me. I realize players get hurt but they are Thr University of F'n Oklahoma! There SHOULD be quality players ready to go in the game and play their asses off! This isn't puke state where there is one good player and 3 schitty backups! The more I type the more it pisses me off so I will leave it at that. This sucks

thatmediadude
10/4/2009, 09:44 AM
Wilson is the best o-coordinator in the land when OU is murdering a team.. He just keeps it rolling, BUT, when he's down...he runs to a hole and hides. I don't get it. I love the guy and think he is capable of being one of the best ever OC's, but it seems like when we GOTTA have something, we can't get it...nor even have the right play called TO get it..

Boomer Sooner til I freakin' die!

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 09:47 AM
Funny, he was a genious last year...

thatmediadude
10/4/2009, 09:50 AM

....and he's a genius this year..when leading by 21 or more..

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 09:51 AM

Please...that's just silly...

IronSooner
10/4/2009, 09:52 AM
No he wasn't. We're like texas used to be. We beat most teams on talent. If great playcalling is required, such as in games against teams with equal talent, we lose.

KW = big ten football. We get close or behind, he goes into a shell, calls big ten plays, and we end up like the big ten ends up in their bowl games every year.

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/4/2009, 09:52 AM

No, he was the exact same.

No game, except Texas, was ever in doubt during the regular season. Then Florida comes along in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and he crawls in his hole...again.

Wilson's offense is fine as long as he has an O line filled with future NFL players

MamaMia
10/4/2009, 09:53 AM
Funny, he was a genious last year...Maybe he hit his head.

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 09:53 AM
Some of you guys are amazing...

I Am Right
10/4/2009, 09:55 AM
Here was Wilsons game plan, use the run to set up the punt.

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 09:56 AM
God, I am am glad I am not a football coach...

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/4/2009, 09:59 AM
with this team, and more importantly KW, we have to blow a team out to win. if it's close, we lose. you think about what Stoops said last year after the TT game-- (paraphrasing) alot of people talk about a shootout. we dont want a shoot out or think thats the was its going to be. he knew then, that if it was close we could lose. and that was at home. there's no fight or passion in this team. if it's a close game, how determined are they to win it? not very if you ask me. our team got so used to hanging so many points that there was no way the other team could catch up.

what it comes down to is this: almost everyone we play--with the exception of texas-- we are supposed to win. and our complacencey shows in our game play. the other teams fight to over-achieve everytime they play us, because they KNOW they can win with the right heart and determination. that, my friends is a mantality set by the coaching staff. i love Bob Stoops, don't get me wrong. growing up in the switzer era and then having to live throught the Gibbs, blake, smellsofbourbon years, makes me really appreciate having a quality coach like Stoops at the helm. But to go
2-3 in our last five games, and with those losses coming in close games, i'm beginning to wonder where the drive to win a hard fought battle is? do we change the mantality, or do we just expect to win, get beat by those that want it more, and continue to look embarassed?

no one can tell me that in any of last three losses (UF, BYU, UM) the other team had more talent ar better athletes on the field....we got beat because no one has instilled a since of pride and will to win.

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/4/2009, 10:00 AM

:D

misplacedsooner
10/4/2009, 10:04 AM
miami is a team we should of crushed, i did not like the play calling either...that last series of plays was rediculous. as for a fast paced offense....i dont like getting up to the line and then burning 30 seconds...just get up there and go, when we did we had miami on their heels and moved the ball both on the ground and in the air

IronHorseSooner
10/4/2009, 10:05 AM
And the darnedest thing is that this year, some people will give him a free pass due to injuries. So we will get plenty o' more chance to complain about the same ol' thing. Instead of going after "big name recruits" for OL, we need to simply find the meanest five SOBs we can find and put them there. I hear the Irwin kid out of Mustang is in that mold. I thought Evans and Good were supposed to be like that, too. Just remember this about our line- we have a converted RT playing LT (which is a big difference due to speed rushers), a converted DT playing RG, a RS-Freshman at C, a true Frosh at RG, and a transfer at RT. I say scrap everything on the line, and find the meanest SOBs on the team. If I was the Coach, the two stiffs at RT wouldn't see the field. Put someone like Good out there, he's supposed to be a mauler. Keep Evans at RG, and Habern at Center. Start looking at next year. Get a guy like Irwin in there, and you could have 4 mean SOBs out there next year. I would start camp this spring and next year in a mood like "no one out here has a position locked down, and I want 22 guys who will bring it on every play."

Hotrod3157
10/4/2009, 11:12 AM
And the darnedest thing is that this year, some people will give him a free pass due to injuries. So we will get plenty o' more chance to complain about the same ol' thing. Instead of going after "big name recruits" for OL, we need to simply find the meanest five SOBs we can find and put them there. I hear the Irwin kid out of Mustang is in that mold. I thought Evans and Good were supposed to be like that, too. Just remember this about our line- we have a converted RT playing LT (which is a big difference due to speed rushers), a converted DT playing RG, a RS-Freshman at C, a true Frosh at RG, and a transfer at RT. I say scrap everything on the line, and find the meanest SOBs on the team. If I was the Coach, the two stiffs at RT wouldn't see the field. Put someone like Good out there, he's supposed to be a mauler. Keep Evans at RG, and Habern at Center. Start looking at next year. Get a guy like Irwin in there, and you could have 4 mean SOBs out there next year. I would start camp this spring and next year in a mood like "no one out here has a position locked down, and I want 22 guys who will bring it on every play."

Irwin got owned Friday night against a D-1 signee to Wyoming. Just a tidbit for ya.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 11:16 AM
Your trust in Stoops seems to have been shaken again folks.

Yet he's had us all in the stands at four National Championships.

Hi Monster! How you doin'?

I hate it when folks let him back out.

The_Red_Patriot
10/4/2009, 11:27 AM

Exactly, he opens it up when we are blowing someone out but the moment the defense plays us well on a couple drives he gets vanilla....examples....2007 Colorado and Texas Tech, Florida, BYU and Miami.

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 11:29 AM
I can't hardly believe the naivety of some of these comments...

OU-HSV
10/4/2009, 11:31 AM
Exactly, he opens it up when we are blowing someone out but the moment the defense plays us well on a couple drives he gets vanilla....examples....2007 Colorado and Texas Tech, Florida, BYU and Miami.

Yep agreed.
I posted this in another thread. I should've posted it here because it's more appropriate here. So here it is:

I totally predicted Wilson to get conservative after we scored. And that's exactly what happened.
It blows my mind that myself, as a fan, can sit at home and seriously predict 3 or 4 of our stupid *** draw play calls before we snapped the ball.

I've been thinking about this a lot the last several weeks...it seems to me that Kevin Wilson and/or Brent Venables are not capable of winning close competitive games. It's like once they realize a game is close and lose-able, they freeze up. Kevin jumps into a conservative shell and is happy to playcall to "not lose" as others of you have stated on here already. And I'm no defensive mastermind coach or anything...but something is not working with what Venables uses. We allow way too many 3rd down conversions at inopportune moments. It's freaking crazy, and it seems Venables thinks zone blitzes are the answer to everything (or am I wrong with that??)

Well, Okay....KW props for a record setting season last year, but my gosh I'm sick and f**king tired of losing these games that are actually win-able. KW either needs to get some new mojo in the playcalling, or Stoops needs to get his man hat back on and kick KW to the curb.

Seems to be a trend....Coaching is what lost last night, not the players....not the lack of WR's, not the lack of Sam Bradford, not the lack of Gresham.....it was flat out **** poor coaching. Period.

Collier11
10/4/2009, 11:32 AM
KW called a horrible game lastnite, our O-line sucked...those are the reasons we lost.

Landry is a stud
Our D played well, I said all along if we can go in and give up 21 or less id be impressed...well

MALE918
10/4/2009, 01:16 PM
i think by and large the d played well. but there are two important times where they failed and i have seen true top 5 teams fare better. after our fumble - granted it put the d in a bad, bad, bad position but why can they not hold them to a field goal. (3 of the 7 given up were to the offense; the other 4 were the defense). at the end of the game why can they not get a 3 and out. even when we knew they wanted to run the ball to keep the clock running. we also looked weaker - i don't know; but it just seemed like on plays where two players of equal size hit, we go backwards. this could just be me.
miami is no world beater - they still aren't that great. they beat an OKLAHOMA team that couldn't get out of it's own way. be it the o-line, the defense not handling must have situations, play-calling, busted coverages. we are still better in talent; we just look like a team that wanted the world to make excuses for us.

WestAustinSooner
10/4/2009, 02:50 PM
The best two players nationally at their position were on the sidelines last night. We lost our best receiver in the first quarter. That, and Wilson sucks. That's why we lost.

Sirus
10/4/2009, 03:32 PM
Miami injury list:

Shayon Green L Out For Season (leg)
Gavin Hardin DE Out For Season (neck)
Adewale Ojomo DE Out Indefinitely (jaw)
Aldarius Johnson WR Questionable Week 5 (hamstring)
Lee Chambers RB Questionable Week 5 (leg)
Marcus Forston DT Questionable Week 5 (foot)
Randy Phillips SS Questionable Week 5 (arm)

OUr injury list:

Tom Wort LB Out For Season (knee)
Jermaine Gresham TE Out For Season (knee)
Sam Bradford QB Out Indefinitely (shoulder)
DeMarcus Granger DT Out Indefinitely (back)

Add the 4-5 players that they lost during the game and us losing Broyles and please be honest if you think we should have won with the depth we have.

Collier11
10/4/2009, 03:40 PM
Big diff between their guys who are all fringe guys and the fact that we are missing 3 future NFL players, 2 1st rounders

SoonerLB
10/4/2009, 03:59 PM

Ya know, as absurd as that sounds, it sorta has a ring of truth to it. I watch other teams in other games and see them do things with less talent and wonder why we can't do those things. Evidently there just isn't any room in KW's game plan for change, so he just keeps running the same things our opponents have seen on film, and have prepared for.

This is not the first time his play calling has been called in to question, we've been through this before, anybody seen any changes?

GKeeper316
10/4/2009, 04:39 PM
the o-line played pretty well. landry wasnt throwing the ball very accurately, and the passes he actually got to his recievers, they dropped more than they caught. we are missing juaqin and manny more than i thought we would.

now, when the passing game aint exactly workin, what else is kw supposed to do?

personally if i was sam id say screw you guys im sittin the season out, since the only reason i came back is to win a national title, and thats now a pipe dream. let landry get more experience and get some damn recievers catching balls and go into next year strong.

Collier11
10/4/2009, 05:58 PM
the o-line played pretty well. landry wasnt throwing the ball very accurately, and the passes he actually got to his recievers, they dropped more than they caught. we are missing juaqin and manny more than i thought we would.

now, when the passing game aint exactly workin, what else is kw supposed to do?

personally if i was sam id say screw you guys im sittin the season out, since the only reason i came back is to win a national title, and thats now a pipe dream. let landry get more experience and get some damn recievers catching balls and go into next year strong.

Did you watch the game? Landry was running for his life much of the game, we had defenders running straight up the middle of our line untouched.

Landry completed 61% if his passes despite all of this, you are off the mark on this one

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 06:19 PM
they are Thr University of F'n Oklahoma! There SHOULD be quality players ready to go in the game and play their asses off! This isn't puke state where there is one good player and 3 schitty backups! The more I type the more it pisses me off so I will leave it at that. This sucks

There are a lot of good schools to go to. Everyone is on TV every week. This ain't 1976.

Collier11
10/4/2009, 08:58 PM
he is becoming a troll more and more with each post