PDA

View Full Version : This! (last night)

MyT Oklahoma
10/4/2009, 08:34 AM
This sums it up well in my opinion but to each his/her own.

OU kicks away its BCS title dreams.

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Well, the critics won't have coach Bob Stoops and his Oklahoma football team to kick around anymore when it comes to the BCS championship game.

No. 17 Miami (Fla.) took care of that for them Saturday night when the Hurricanes hung a 21-20 loss on the No. 8 Sooners at Land Shark Stadium.

The loss almost certainly eliminated OU from any hope of appearing in the BCS title game a second straight season and the fifth time this decade.

The defeat was already the second of the young season for the Sooners, and only one team (LSU in 2007) has advanced to the national championship contest with two losses.

But putting OU and the BCS title game in the same sentence seems ludicrous after this loss.

OU won't need any outside help from the critics. They should spend the rest of this season kicking themselves for a poor performance in a contest they easily could have won and should have won even though they were handicapped by key injuries.

One of the first swift kicks should be aimed at OU offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson's playbook. It was Wilson's conservative play calling that killed what had been an inspired OU rally late in the game that almost saved the bumbling Sooners from another bitter defeat in south Florida.

Stoops added to the offensive woes with his questionable decision to not go for a two-point conversion when OU scored late in the third quarter. A successful two-point attempt would have made it 21-18 and meant Jimmy Stevens' 39-yard field goal in the fourth quarter would have tied the game.

OU's defense gave the Sooners one more chance when the offense took over on Miami's 8-yard line with 8:01 left in the game. Wilson opted to call seven consecutive running plays into the heart of a Miami defense that had pounded the Sooners all night. His only pass attempt came on the last play of the drive, which DeMarco Murray caught for no gain on third-and-12, forcing OU to settle for a field goal.

We get it that Wilson thought he had to be somewhat conservative because backup quarterback Landry Jones was starting his first road game since replacing All-American Sam Bradford, who was injured in the season-opening loss to BYU.

But the maddening thing about OU's offensive strategy is that Jones looked totally in his element on OU's first drive of the game. He drove the Sooners 80 yards in eight plays for a 7-0 lead by mixing the run with some passes that stretched the field.

Jones had a 37-yard completion to Ryan Broyles and put the Sooners on the board with a 16-yard thing of beauty to wideout Cameron Kenney. Kenney's first touchdown as a Sooner seemed to indicate OU was in for a good night against a Miami defensive secondary that was missing two starters because of injuries.

Instead, after that fast start, OU's offense went into a mysterious shell. Jones, who was 3-of-4 passing for 62 yards, including the touchdown strike, was limited to short-pass attempts as Wilson opted to keep it on the ground with 42 rushing attempts.

We also get it that OU's offense was handcuffed even more when Broyles was lost in the second quarter with a shoulder injury. With Bradford (shoulder) and All-America tight end Jermaine Gresham (knee) already missing from the lineup, Broyles was one of the few big-time playmakers available for the Miami contest.

But if OU expects to have any success the rest of this troubled season, Stoops and Wilson have to place their trust in some other receivers. As Kenney showed on that first drive, he has something to offer if given the chance. And wideout Brandon Caleb, who was coming on strong in wins over Idaho State and Tulsa, seemed to be a forgotten man for most of this game.

Every one of the 61,790 spectators and a national television audience knew that OU needed its defense to play a major role against the Hurricanes. And it almost pulled it off. While it officially shows that Miami scored its three touchdowns on passes, one of those was set up when Jones fumbled on his own 11-yard line as OU's offensive line continued its season-long struggles, this time against a blitzing Miami defense.

So where does this loss that didn't need to happen leave OU? Well, the Sooners still have their annual showdown with Texas in two weeks and are still in contention to win a fourth consecutive Big 12 Conference championship. And there's also the expected return of Bradford either this week against Baylor or for the Texas game.

But considering Wilson's uninspired play-calling and the lack of weapons like Gresham and Broyles, it's doubtful if OU's Heisman Trophy winner will be able to do much better than Jones.

Big 12 championship? There's no way the Sooners will contend for that last remaining goal unless they find a way to kick themselves in the pants to jump start a season that's starting to look like it could be one of the most difficult of Stoops' 11 seasons at OU.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20091004_202_B9_MIAMIG381784

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2009, 10:36 AM
Premature. OU is not out of it, although the chances are slim and none.

OU has two one-point losses on the road (well, sort of), with both occurring without its star QB.

If OU runs the table, they could be back in it. So rather than worry about it, the team should just concentrate on each game as it comes.

TMcGee86
10/4/2009, 10:41 AM
nailed it.

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 10:44 AM

OU has two one-point losses on the road (well, sort of), with both occurring without its star QB.

If OU runs the table, they could be back in it. So rather than worry about it, the team should just concentrate on each game as it comes.

Perfect...

The_Red_Patriot
10/4/2009, 11:24 AM
That sums it up

SoonerFrance
10/4/2009, 11:30 AM
At worst, the team are eliminated from one game. Coach has always said that winning the Big12 is the first goal. That is still a realistic objective, despite what the doomsayers all say now about Oct. 17 and other games. The team will continue to develop and improve, and I look forward to conference play.

Boomer Sooner

tanjou
10/4/2009, 11:33 AM

lol

Welcome to your 8-4 season.

OU-HSV
10/4/2009, 11:41 AM
OU's defense gave the Sooners one more chance when the offense took over on Miami's 8-yard line with 8:01 left in the game. Wilson opted to call seven consecutive running plays into the heart of a Miami defense that had pounded the Sooners all night. His only pass attempt came on the last play of the drive, which DeMarco Murray caught for no gain on third-and-12, forcing OU to settle for a field goal.
I don't even know what to say to this. It's disturbing to say the least. And it's annoying that Bob Stoops can stand back and allow this kind of playcalling (even if any of these were audibles/because the best I can tell is that if Landry is checking into an audible, he gets that nod from the sideline as well).

OUmillenium
10/4/2009, 02:11 PM
Great article. Thanks for that.

So its not just crazy yardbirds on the interwebs ripping the OU coaches after a loss? I also rip them after wins if needed as well.

Collier11
10/4/2009, 02:17 PM
If you cant trust the kids you recruit then dont recruit them, Landry showed that playing on the road didnt phase him but KW still protected him the entire time. KW's play calling has been lacking the last 5 games.

Now, there is no way he should be fired but Stoops needs to have him open it up a bit for sure

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2009, 03:09 PM
lol

Welcome to your 8-4 season.

We could end up worse than 8-4 for all we know. But my point stands, take it one game at a time. If we lose another, well, that's a different story.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2009, 03:16 PM
I have only 1 expectation of the team that I will not compromise :

If you win a game, try to win the next one. But if you lose a game, try to win the next one.

Sirus
10/4/2009, 03:22 PM
I thought the article was too long. It could have started and ended with this one paragraph alone....

"OU's defense gave the Sooners one more chance when the offense took over on Miami's 8-yard line with 8:01 left in the game. Wilson opted to call seven consecutive running plays into the heart of a Miami defense that had pounded the Sooners all night. His only pass attempt came on the last play of the drive, which DeMarco Murray caught for no gain on third-and-12, forcing OU to settle for a field goal."

MyT Oklahoma
10/4/2009, 05:04 PM
I thought the article was too long. It could have started and ended with this one paragraph alone....

"OU's defense gave the Sooners one more chance when the offense took over on Miami's 8-yard line with 8:01 left in the game. Wilson opted to call seven consecutive running plays into the heart of a Miami defense that had pounded the Sooners all night. His only pass attempt came on the last play of the drive, which DeMarco Murray caught for no gain on third-and-12, forcing OU to settle for a field goal."

True but then ink sells newspapers I think. Besides Sittler probably wanted to vent just as much as some of the rest of us.

Oh well.. time to prepare for Baylor now. Those self rightous sons-of-a-b*****s.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 05:35 PM
OK....now...which one sums it up?

Dan Thompson
10/4/2009, 05:44 PM
Yea, it's hard to believe that a running play, into the strong side of Miami's defense, would be called on 3 and 9.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 05:46 PM
Yea, it's hard to believe that a running play, into the strong side of Miami's defense, would be called on 3 and 9.

What is so hard to believe about it? Similar things happen in this offense all the time.

Hot Rod
10/4/2009, 05:48 PM

Thank you!!! Eldridge only got one pass his way the whole game. Why not run a PA pass to a key blocker on a 3rd down attempt to throw off the Miami D.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 05:49 PM
Wonder if Sam would have changed the play at the line?

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 05:50 PM
Thank you!!! Eldridge only got one pass his way the whole game. Why not run a PA pass to a key blocker on a 3rd down attempt to throw off the Miami D.

Does he have a broken finger? Just wondering.

Lott's Bandana
10/4/2009, 05:52 PM
I watched our first drive of the game that had several unique plays and was executed perfectly.

I had to leave the DVR to record the rest and as I left I thought:

"After initial success Coach Wilson ALWAYS goes all Big-10 with conservatism...I hope he doesn't tonight."

Sometimes I hate being right.

Dan Thompson
10/4/2009, 05:52 PM
I have heard of a Prevent Defense, but never a Prevent Offense.

On one series, I thought Miami had our play book. They were just wait for us.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 05:53 PM
Could it be that Sam>Landry?

Nevermind...it couldn't be that.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 05:54 PM
I have heard of a Prevent Defense, but never a Prevent Offense.

I have. In The Waterboy they took a knee three times then punted. :D

Hot Rod
10/4/2009, 05:56 PM
Does he have a broken finger? Just wondering.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I can't keep up with our injured players anymore. Landry made a completion to Brody, so I figured we'd see more passes his way on short yardage situations.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 05:58 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I can't keep up with our injured players anymore. Landry made a completion to Brody, so I figured we'd see more passes his way on short yardage situations.

Well...it's not like Bob goes around letting everyone know either. We've got lots of injuries. We're banged up.