PDA

View Full Version : OU is just not that good this year. Deal with it.

batonrougesooner
10/4/2009, 07:59 AM
Seriously.

Injured Bradford, Gresham, and now Broyles.

Inexperienced O-line and receivers.

OU is one year removed from another conference championship and BCS game appearance.

Not every year is a championship year. Players leave, injuries happen, sometimes things just don't mesh as well for whatever reason.

They will be better again soon. Just the way football is.

Despite the rain today, the sun will indeed continue to rise.

Be glad the issue of OU football can consume so much of our collective thought and energy. Must mean we all have it pretty good.

kustang619
10/4/2009, 08:06 AM
I'm not giving up on this team. Losing players to the next level and injuries are part of the game. OU needs to play smarter ball, we need to cut down on the penalties. We need to become more mentally tough and cut down on our mistakes, but I'm not throwing in the towel, we can still accomplish a lot!

SoonerLaw09
10/4/2009, 08:19 AM
I fully expect us to go 10-2, win the Big 12 Championship...and then lose by 3 touchdowns in a BCS bowl.

Why break up a pattern?

Actually, with Broyles likely out for the year, we probably won't beat the whorns.

SoonerLaw09
10/4/2009, 08:19 AM
This team and this coaching staff have settled for "pretty good" when greatness is required. I just don't get it.

budbarrybob
10/4/2009, 08:29 AM
This team and this coaching staff have settled for "pretty good" when greatness is required. I just don't get it.

The simple fact is as I have stated after the BYU game is that we are in a full blown rebuilding season offensively. The heartbreak is that we are given shadows of greatness and deluded to believe in the miracles with this team and the possibility of a MNC. Therein lies the hurt. So go on hater's, I'm not perfect and neither are my Sooners - this year - I'm over it.

The Preach Man
10/4/2009, 08:55 AM
Seriously.

Injured Bradford, Gresham, and now Broyles.

Inexperienced O-line and receivers.

OU is one year removed from another conference championship and BCS game appearance.

Not every year is a championship year. Players leave, injuries happen, sometimes things just don't mesh as well for whatever reason.

They will be better again soon. Just the way football is.

Despite the rain today, the sun will indeed continue to rise.

Be glad the issue of OU football can consume so much of our collective thought and energy. Must mean we all have it pretty good.

I agree. You win some and you lose some. This year looks to be our year to lose some. I still love the Sooners.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/4/2009, 08:57 AM
This just isn't that talented of a team...hopefully at the end of the season, we see that they have gotten better

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 09:07 AM
So why is this team not that talented? We've been having top 10 recruiting classes every season, haven't we? We haven't had that much attrition the last few years either, so we can't use that excuse any more; this roster must be filled with a ton of recruiting mistakes

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 09:09 AM
Lots of talent on this team...the offense is not playing that well yet for obvious reasons...and btw, Landry is a very good QB...

Jock Ewing
10/4/2009, 09:15 AM
No excuses

Jack T.
10/4/2009, 09:19 AM
Lots of talent on this team...the offense is not playing that well yet for obvious reasons...and btw, Landry is a very good QB...

Yes, one of the brightest spots this year has been Landry Jones. Maybe when Sam is healthy again I'll see how much better he (Sam) is than him (Landry). . .but I'm really liking the thought of having this kid around for the next few years.

fadada1
10/4/2009, 09:21 AM
the problem is this, don't tell us this is a rebuilding year and then expect us to contend for a national championship. if it's a rebuilding year, then say so, and we can set our expectations a little lower. that way, when good things happen, we'll have exceeded those expectations. did we deserve a #3 ranking with an entirely new offensive line, 2 huge WR that fit into our system, and a TE that's out for the year???? clearly not. somewhere along the line, we were duped into believing we had a national title contender. now maybe we can focus on the big12 and exceeding (redefined) expectations.

okcusooner
10/4/2009, 09:25 AM
No excuses

This sums it up.

I'm sorry, when you are paid 4 million a year there is not supposed to be any rebuilding years. Don't Florida and SC have to replace players as well? I haven't noticed that these teams have any problem putting a dominant offensive line on the field year after year.

Whether it's the recruiting, coaching, or ability to plan and prepare for player turnover, this regime is not getting it done on the o-line. Which brings me back to my first point. Is Bob earning the handsome premium he's being paid?

Uh, not this year.

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 09:26 AM
Just wait this team will make you proud...

okcusooner
10/4/2009, 09:29 AM
Just wait this team will make you proud...

I think you are absolutely delusional.......

However, I'd love to be proven wrong.

MamaMia
10/4/2009, 10:03 AM
I miss the no nonsense days we didn't have rebuilding years or teams that went south because a player went down.

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 10:04 AM
I think you are absolutely delusional.......

However, I'd love to be proven wrong.

This team is loaded with talent...

Pricetag
10/4/2009, 10:10 AM
I think all of us honestly knew after the BYU loss that we weren't NC contenders this year. It was tough not to get excited after we got back into the top 10, though.

Even when Bradford, Gresham, and McCoy announced that they were coming back, I couldn't help but be reminded of the 1989 basketball team. Sure, Stacey and Mookie came back, but we still lost Ricky Grace, Harvey Grant, and Dave Sieger.

TripleOption14
10/4/2009, 10:16 AM
This post hits it right on the head IMO. Futhermore, I think Bradford has to start seriously thinking about his future and if it's even worth it to come back this year at all. In the long run it simply may not be worth it.

Indy Sooner
This sums it up.

I'm sorry, when you are paid 4 million a year there is not supposed to be any rebuilding years. Don't Florida and SC have to replace players as well? I haven't noticed that these teams have any problem putting a dominant offensive line on the field year after year.

Whether it's the recruiting, coaching, or ability to plan and prepare for player turnover, this regime is not getting it done on the o-line. Which brings me back to my first point. Is Bob earning the handsome premium he's being paid?

Uh, not this year.

Not this year and not lately. I can't recall when he won a truly meaningful game.

The trend has become a pattern and something needs to change if the program/coach can be elevated into the stratum of, say, Florida and Urban. I don't know if that is new personnel within the coaching ranks or if it is even possible to rise to the very top of the college FB heap on a semi-regular basis. Fact is, for the past several years the program has benefited in various ways from the early successes Bob had (e.g., arguably inflated ranking vs. actual on-field performance when it counted, etc.).

Like in so many past years, success this season will come down to the performance in the annual game in the Cotton Bowl. Wouldn't it be great to deprive the patsy Whorns from an easy path to the BCS title game? This is the kind of year (when early expectations have been dashed) OU will find a way to rise up and pull off the upset.

BermudaSooner

This is a ridiculous statement. What makes you spout such tripe? Where did the OU staff say "well, it was a moral victory since we only lost by 1."

Please explain how they have "settled."

TMcGee86
10/4/2009, 10:18 AM
totally agree.

If Sam and Jermaine had gone pro this is pretty much what I would have expected.

Add in Broyles being out and I think we are lucky to have gotten out of there with a one point loss.

At least it was nice to see some of the other WRs making plays last night.

TMcGee86
10/4/2009, 10:20 AM
Don't Florida and SC have to replace players as well? I haven't noticed that these teams have any problem putting a dominant offensive line on the field year after year.

So I guess you didn't watch the SC washington game this year huh?

wishbonesooner
10/4/2009, 10:22 AM
If somehow we could get our O line to start playing better, we could do some things. They will get better, I'm just not sure they can improve enough this season.

Hotrod3157
10/4/2009, 11:03 AM
Its turned into a full blown rebuilding year on offense. The defense for all its faults has done enough to win every game. Injuries have taken a toll so now we are back to a 2005 type offense. Young O-line, young QB, unproven receivers, etc etc. Hoping to see improvement through the year like in 2005 and to look forward to the future.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 11:10 AM
the problem is this, don't tell us this is a rebuilding year and then expect us to contend for a national championship. if it's a rebuilding year, then say so, and we can set our expectations a little lower. that way, when good things happen, we'll have exceeded those expectations. did we deserve a #3 ranking with an entirely new offensive line, 2 huge WR that fit into our system, and a TE that's out for the year???? clearly not. somewhere along the line, we were duped into believing we had a national title contender. now maybe we can focus on the big12 and exceeding (redefined) expectations.

We might have been a tad over rated but we didn't do that. Bob didn't make any phone calls to tell folks to put us a few spots further down....

Our expectations were right where they should have been.

We have watched out Team suffer two close losses and suffer quite a few devastating injuries. Example: Colt McCoy gets hurt in practice prior to the RRSO. Do you suddenly buy back the tickets you sold on EBAY the week before?

SoonerLaw09
10/5/2009, 04:48 PM
This is a ridiculous statement. What makes you spout such tripe? Where did the OU staff say "well, it was a moral victory since we only lost by 1."

Please explain how they have "settled."

I suppose it's the major lack of heart I see in road games against decent teams. And some not so decent (like the Buffs a few years ago).

I see the team not mentally with it and the gameplan being far too conservative once we get a lead. Great teams don't ever take their foot off the accelerator. That's one reason why the Gators have been so consistent lately. They, too, had their one-point loss to Ole Miss, but it was hard fought and Miss won because of their ability to out-muscle the Gators and create a couple of turnovers. Not because Fla. didn't show up to play.

If we'd have lost at the last minute on some kind of miracle play, after playing a great game against a great team, I wouldn't feel like this. But that's not what I saw Saturday night. Turn even one of those field goal drives into a TD and we are not having this conversation. Play aggressive defense and don't let Harris march his team down our throats, and we win. Simple as that.

SoonerLaw09
10/5/2009, 04:49 PM
BTW, somebody should have warned me about the size of ST's spekhammer. :O

cvsooner
10/5/2009, 06:26 PM
We might have been a tad over rated but we didn't do that. Bob didn't make any phone calls to tell folks to put us a few spots further down....

Our expectations were right where they should have been.

We have watched out Team suffer two close losses and suffer quite a few devastating injuries. Example: Colt McCoy gets hurt in practice prior to the RRSO. Do you suddenly buy back the tickets you sold on EBAY the week before?

Well, y'know, Stoops did say last spring that the o-line didn't have the work ethic and wasn't producing the results he wanted to see. We've pretty much forgotten that at this point, but he called them out. We looked at their experience as individuals and not as a unit, and this is where we are.

I can't add a whole lot to what's wrong with this team. It's not all that far off from being a pretty good team, but right now is somewhere between 'fair' and 'good.' At times they look terrific, and play that way. The defense has been good enough, though not clutch, frankly. Saturday night: way too many missed tackles by everybody; soft to non-existent coverage in the middle; a badly blown assignment in the secondary (or two); this isn't the dominating defense I thought it would be. Good enough, though.

Special teams have been better than that and is probably strongest part of the team right now. I'd say ST, defense, and then offense.

My biggest gripe with Bob and the staff at this point would have to be an apparent inability to learn and plan. It seems like we have no real alternative to the original gameplan. Or maybe we do, and it just isn't good enough. If the defense comes up with a stop earlier...or Landry doesn't get clobbered by an untouched defender and fumbles...Broyles doesn't get hurt...we get the TD instead of the one field goal....I think we probably win.

The offensive line is just not very together...as a unit or as individuals. Eldridge was getting beaten, and he's supposedly the best blocker. Williams was getting beaten, and he's supposedly the best lineman KW has ever had. Maybe Miami is better than we thought...or it was just their night.

The line doesn't passblock terribly well and isn't much better--maybe worse--at run blocking. That really hampers an offense. The QB doesn't get any time, or not enough for anything other than short passes...and then makes a throw...that doesn't get caught. The only deep threat goes out in the first quarter (after a 37 yard gain) and that pretty well meant they knew they'd be playing short passes and a running game. You see the result.

Some of these problems will be fixed with more practice and more study. I guess the part that concerns me, outside of the very similar problems that recur from season to season--and that's a big issue--is that yeah, maybe this is the best team we've got, right now. Good enough to beat the Baylors and Kansas States...but the UT, Neb, Kansas, Tech games are really iffy...and even OSewe at home will be tough.

Frankly right now I'd rather have Broyles and Gresham back rather than Sam. And in the realm of wishful thinking, I'd like to have Jon Cooper back just for his leadership.

There are some, to us, inexplicable things going on, but Bob runs a pretty tight program in terms of information about different situations and plays and why they did one thing here or another thing there. I'm sure he's as unhappy and disappointed as any of us are.

My own guess is there will be a pretty good shakeup of the staff following January. What that will be...I don't know. But I suspect some new blood will be coming in, or some folks will get promoted, or something. I just don't see Stoops putting up with the criticism much longer. Heck, HE may retire...he made it to his longevity bonus. Take the money and run. And I wouldn't blame him one bit, frankly.

GKeeper316
10/5/2009, 06:49 PM
I miss the no nonsense days we didn't have rebuilding years or teams that went south because a player went down.

those no nonsense days were back when scholarships weren't limited and our 3rd string could start anywhere else.

but at the same time, if im a player for OU and im not out on the field on a regular basis, when that opportunity arrives, i do whatever is necessary to make sure i stay on that field. i.e. catch the ball/wrap up and tackle/stay disciplined in coverage.

TXBOOMER
10/5/2009, 07:57 PM
Let's keep it real. How are we gonna be so great next year? The defense is going to be young again. Who are the WR's, TE's, OL, FB that are going to make us so great next year. Next year is absolutely a rebuilding year for this team. Unfortuneatly, these injuries have screwd us this year. There is no doubt the expectations should be lowered next year.

JohnnyMack
10/5/2009, 08:49 PM
BTW, somebody should have warned me about the size of ST's spekhammer. :O

Mine's just as big. When we hold them next to each other you can't really tell them apart.

pappy
10/5/2009, 08:58 PM
I'm predicting our next run at #8 is 2011 just a gut feeling...I made a similar prediction when Stoops was named head coach. I said this guy will win a national title within his first 3 years and we all know what happened. I have feeling we won't actually be in rebuilding mode next year, but still a year away. we'll have a shot at the big 12 title and a bcs game next year, but I'm saying 2011 we win #8....

that being said I hope I'm wrong and in 2011 we win #9 instead ;)

Sasakwa
10/5/2009, 11:32 PM
Whether it's the recruiting, coaching, or ability to plan and prepare for player turnover, this regime is not getting it done on the o-line.

And this isn't the first time. You think they would learn from their mistakes. You cannot do squat on offense without a steady line. So what is it? Recruiting the wrong players, not recruiting enough OL to cover injuries? Or is it scheme, or coaching once they get here? How long have they known 4 of 5 would be gone after 08? Why was there no plan in place to deal with that?

Blues1
10/6/2009, 01:14 AM
We lost 2 games last year ~ and so did Bama with Saban, Lets see how it all plays out. A Victory over Texas,a Big 12 Championship and a Bowl Win and everyone earns their Money...Do I think it will Happen...? - Not Really, But I can Still have some Hope - Remember Other teams can lose players just as fast as we have,What would *Texas be without Colt....?
Stange things Can Happen.....!

Okie35
10/6/2009, 01:38 AM
We lost 2 games last year ~ and so did Bama with Saban, Lets see how it all plays out. A Victory over Texas,a Big 12 Championship and a Bowl Win and everyone earns their Money...Do I think it will Happen...? - Not Really, But I can Still have some Hope - Remember Other teams can lose players just as fast as we have,What would *Texas be without Colt....?
Stange things Can Happen.....!

Same as they are now ... wins over mediocre teams and 9tds and 5 ints right now against bad defenses.

Blues1
10/6/2009, 01:44 AM
Same as they are now ... wins over mediocre teams and 9tds and 5 ints right now against bad defenses.

Yep ~ You are Right about that.....!

PhilTLL
10/6/2009, 03:51 AM

Huh? Switzer lost 4 games three years in a row in the 80s.

Sooner70
10/6/2009, 05:18 AM
Does anybody with inside info know whether or not Stoops is breathing fire on his coaches & players right now? Sure seems like the OL is producing a lot of needless penalties, but could be lack of experience. I'd think Bob wouldn't be too happy about that along with some apparent lapses in concentration on the defensive side of the ball at critical moments. I'd think he'd be happy with Stasche though.

MarylandSooner
10/6/2009, 07:04 AM
I have always been a believer that you are as good as your Offensive Line.

"And right now ours is not very good"

As the O line gets better, consistency of performance will improve.

richsooner
10/6/2009, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=Indy Sooner;2724787]Not this year and not lately. I can't recall when he won a truly meaningful game.

You got a short memory, or no memory at all.....Year b4 last in Dallas, in San Antonio. Last year, at orange st, mike's pirates at home, mizzou in their back yard. without these we don't have 5 of the last 6 b12 and nothing to show for those seasons. Its not like we have no truly meaningful wins at all, just can't win em all. winning the last one, let's sayyyyyy...... maybe half the time, would be nice though...........

Knippz
10/6/2009, 09:03 AM
This is dumb. We wouldn't have been ranked so high early if we weren't planned to start the season with Bradford, Gresh, and Broyles all healthy. We've lost two games without these guys.

If we had all three of those guys, we'd be 4-0 and ranked in the top 3, maybe #2.

Without those guys, we are a top 25 team, not top 10, and a completely rebuilding offense minus Trent Williams.

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 09:04 AM
Not this year and not lately. I can't recall when he won a truly meaningful game.

No offense, but that comment makes you sound totally ignorant.

Knippz
10/6/2009, 09:11 AM
Basically, we are a top 5 team healthy, maybe MNC contender.

Without them, we are what would have been expected if nobody came back.

badger
10/6/2009, 09:21 AM
I just created it because it's the reason SF.com is so much fun - a wide variety of opinions, but everyone united for OU:
http://i34.tinypic.com/ay4pk7.jpg
So anyways, I've had a bad sports week culminating with the crap last night, but I still like you all - optimists and realists alike.

Jello Biafra
10/6/2009, 09:26 AM
So anyways, I've had a bad sports week culminating with the crap last night,

*snicker snicker*

VA Sooner
10/6/2009, 09:27 AM
After the initial feeling of doom and gloom, I've feeling much better.

This Saturday will give us a chance to regroup and focus on fundamentals again. We're down a few very good players but we have some waiting in the wings for their moment to shine. Practice this week will be key and adjustments are certainly necessary.

More faith in Landry's arm for the deeper balls... I liked Kenney in the game last Saturday. Caleb will need a little more time but I think he's got it. The two upcoming sophomores will need to step up.

The season is still salvageable... in spite of losing the 'stache. We still have the talent... we now just need our mojo back. We've done it before with the loss of a 5-star QB and AD for half a season... let's get it done.

One Saturday at a time.

tm250
10/6/2009, 10:06 PM

SoonerNate
10/6/2009, 10:23 PM
I look at it this way. If we are going to be unlucky with injury bug to all our play makers, at least we're hopefully getting it out of the way this season.

We could not have started out more unlucky save a McCoy injury or something.

SunnySooner
10/7/2009, 12:16 AM
At this point, I'm just grateful to be a Sooner. Really. So we're snakebit with injuries this year...it happens, ask Georgia. I have had so much fun watching this team over the years, and the fact that I am a fan of a team that is "in" it year in and year out makes me happy. How would you like to be a Michigan fan right now? We cannot expect MNCs every single year. There will be years like this one. I just kinda feel like, hey, pressure's off, let em go have fun, take some risks, let loose, we have nothing to lose now. I'm going to OU/ut, and I can't wait. I won't be a bit stressed out or worried. If we lose, big deal. If we win, we just seriously screwed with ut, what's better than that? It's a win/win situation for us, and all the rest of our "big" games this year. I'd love another Big 12 championship, and that is still possible, but if it doesn't happen, I'll still have a blast watching my team play, and I'll know that our time will come again. We're Oklahoma. We invented championships, remember?