PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds question

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 12:02 AM
I have a ton of respect for the kid and admire his heart; hell i can't imagine all the pain the kid has went thru the last 3 years, but i don't understand why BV leaves him in the game on obvious passing situations? Can anyone make me understand this? Seems like we would be better served playing more nickel or dime packages

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 12:05 AM
He gets exploited by TEs and Slots, granted that is a hard match-up for anyone. I know he's the QB of the defense, but he's got a HUGE bulls-eye on him.

rainiersooner
10/4/2009, 12:06 AM
I agree with you. I won't say a bad word about the kid; I absolutely respect and admire his play and his heart...and more importantly his football mind. But he is a step slow and offensive coordinators exploit this on third down time and time again. It's actually not fair to keep him on those plays - nickel would make more sense imo.

mightysooner
10/4/2009, 12:07 AM
I watched him freeze inexplicably and let receivers go by him at least 4 times during the game. Reynolds is terrible in coverage.

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 12:08 AM
Ryan is still good against the run, but with all the knee surgeries he just can't cover over the middle; this to me is a glaring example of poor coaching; u have to put your players in the best position to succeed(kinda like Roy at Dallas the last 2 years)

primetime43
10/4/2009, 12:31 AM
I have to give Miami credit and J. Harris for keeping his poise. After he threw those 2 picks they did what everyone else does to us. Throw to the middle of the field. I respect the hell out of Reynolds but on 3rd down passing situations he should never be on the field.

Fraggle145
10/4/2009, 12:42 AM
Ummm because we still arent ****ing prepared in the middle. We counted on kids with injuries and questionable eligibility. Coaches fault plain and simple.

This is called being arrogant and not having your **** together.

yermom
10/4/2009, 01:03 AM
but who exactly do we have to put in for him?

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 01:06 AM

Austin Box is a definite upgrade in the passing game (3rd downs). I was very impressed with his coverage skills. But they aren't going to go there.

Sooner04
10/4/2009, 01:06 AM
Our coaches play favorites these days. Reynolds will be the man in the middle as long as he is able to suit up, and before his career is through it will cost us more football games.

westbrooke
10/4/2009, 01:07 AM
Box. I would absolutely be rotating Austin Box in. I feel the same way tulsaoilerfan does, Reynolds is to be celebrated for his commitment to this team, but he just can't keep up with receivers over the middle. His heart is all there, but his legs aren't.

En_Fuego
10/4/2009, 03:05 AM
Our coaches play favorites these days. Reynolds will be the man in the middle as long as he is able to suit up, and before his career is through it will cost us more football games.

Dead Right On 04

And...With very talented player's Kevin Wilson's offense is amazing to watch. But, with the talent level we have this year do to injuries, KW don't have anyone to bale him out of his conservative "play not to lose" plan. It is just very frustrating when we are doing something right and he completely changes the scheme.

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 08:47 AM

Do we not have any nickel or dime packages? Surely we have a couple of DB's that could go in there; hell why not put Lewis in the middle instead? It just boggles my mind how teams can continually expose the middle on passing situations and we can't stop it

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 08:48 AM
In 2 weeks Jordan Shipley will be running all over the middle uncovered just like last year

stoops the eternal pimp
10/4/2009, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't put a linebacker in for a linebacker in passing situations...I'd take Reynolds out and put in another DB...

Mike Stoops ran more of a 4-2-5 while BV sticks with his base 4-3 no matter what

BosworthXXXL
10/4/2009, 09:45 AM
did you see when the camera was on Venables at the end of the game

he just had a blank stare.......

this defense isn't working on 3rd down

and Kevin Wilson isn't working at all

IronSooner
10/4/2009, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't put a linebacker in for a linebacker in passing situations...I'd take Reynolds out and put in another DB...

Mike Stoops ran more of a 4-2-5 while BV sticks with his base 4-3 no matter what

Yup. There were several times last night when I said I'd rush 3 and drop everybody else...usually 3rd and 6 or more. Maybe have some guys fake a blitz, then drop. Instead we put 5 on the line and rushed 2 more. Result: 1st down.

I'd love to game plan against this defense. You know what you're going to get every down. Opposing QB's don't get confused, especially after the 1st Q. Our D isn't hard to figure out, and once they do, that's it.

Even Herbie made some comment about how miami figured out that they could throw short over the middle rather than deep. That was the secret to the game for them: Stop throwing deep, start throwing for 5-8 yards and just keep it up all the way down the field.

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 09:59 AM
Miami should have known going in where they could attack us; it's the same formula that has worked the last 5 years against OU's defense

OKC-SLC
10/4/2009, 10:20 AM
In 2 weeks Jordan Shipley will be running all over the middle uncovered just like last year

This is unfortunately very true.

They will eat us up like they did last year. And it's simply because we don't have the brainpower on the coaching staff to somehow change things even slightly to defend it differently.

Our coaching staff has managed to make Greg Davis look like a freaking genius. That is no small accomplishment.

TMcGee86
10/4/2009, 10:24 AM

This.

Ryan is still good against the run, but with all the knee surgeries he just can't cover over the middle; this to me is a glaring example of poor coaching; u have to put your players in the best position to succeed(kinda like Roy at Dallas the last 2 years)

and this.

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 10:33 AM

B.S. Shipley may have an arse joint separation by then....

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 06:39 PM

For all practical purposes we run a base 4-2-5 also.

Clayton plays about 75% nickel back. Though he was in a much more traditional LB role against Miami, due to their pro-style offense.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/4/2009, 06:41 PM
For all practical purposes we run a base 4-2-5 also.

Clayton plays about 75% nickel back. Though he was in a much more traditional LB role against Miami, due to their pro-style offense.

I don't see it but OK I guess...I see Clayton doing some nickel stuff but not 75 percent of the time...

prrriiide
10/4/2009, 06:45 PM
did you see when the camera was on Venables at the end of the game

he just had a blank stare.......

this defense isn't working on 3rd down

and Kevin Wilson isn't working at all

Saw it a couple of times. Like I said elsewhere: Deer in the headlights. Like he walked in on his parents getting their freak on.

Chiliman
10/5/2009, 04:32 PM

Austin Box, plain and simple. Box may be a our best LB in coverage and that includes Clayton. He showed that last year after he gained a little experience.

Gresho Murford
10/5/2009, 04:35 PM

but wait...wasn't it b/c RR went out that texas beat us last year

rawlingsHOH
10/5/2009, 04:38 PM
but wait...wasn't it b/c RR went out that texas beat us last year
Comparing Reynolds of 08 to Reynolds of 09 is a comedy routine, partner.

Boomer.....
10/5/2009, 04:45 PM
Isn't Box still hurt?

CK Sooner
10/5/2009, 04:45 PM

I disagree.

CK Sooner
10/5/2009, 04:46 PM
Isn't Box still hurt?

Box is fine now. He played on all the special teams units against Miami.

Gresho Murford
10/5/2009, 04:47 PM

Im not out their seeing practices or focusing in on reynolds every game but I don't see a big difference

rawlingsHOH
10/5/2009, 04:54 PM
Im not out their seeing practices or focusing in on reynolds every game but I don't see a big difference
HUGE differance.

Reynolds of '09 looks a lot like Reynolds of '07. Limited mobility, limited speed, a lot of limping. By the middle of '07 we started keeping Lewis Baker on the field a lot more on third downs, and subbing out Reynolds.

By '08, Reynolds was simply faster, a year healthier. He was playing at a very high level thru 5 games.

The film doesn't lie.

SouthFortySooner
10/5/2009, 04:56 PM
Box is appreciably faster.

CK Sooner
10/5/2009, 04:59 PM
HUGE differance.

Reynolds of '09 looks a lot like Reynolds of '07. Limited mobility, limited speed, a lot of limping. By the middle of '07 we started keeping Lewis Baker on the field a lot more on third downs, and subbing out Reynolds.

By '08, Reynolds was simply faster, a year healthier. He was playing at a very high level thru 5 games.

The film doesn't lie.

I have watched every game and have yet to witness him "limping"

Boomer.....
10/6/2009, 07:23 AM
Box is fine now. He played on all the special teams units against Miami.

Good. I looked at the box score and saw that he didn't have any tackles so I wasn't sure.

gaylordfan1
10/6/2009, 08:12 AM
I still choose his experience and his heart over what we have on the sidelines. Not to say our 2nd string is not good, but they don't bring to the table what Reynolds can. The guy plays with more passion than any. Not to mention all the adversity he has over come in his career.

Dan Thompson
10/6/2009, 08:20 AM
Agree. He just can't run fast enough. but he is great against the run, though I thought we rushed the LBs a little too early on quite a few plays against Miami.

Miami's LBs seem to wait for the play to develop before commetting.

rawlingsHOH
10/6/2009, 09:05 AM
I have watched every game and have yet to witness him "limping"
A noticable hitch in his gait. Especially after long stints on the field.

kustang619
10/6/2009, 09:18 AM
I agree with all that is being said, you have to love the effort that Ryan gives, but he just doesn't move as well after all the knee surgieries...Tough guy, but a change has to be made on passing downs...Like it or not adjustments have to be made.