PDA

View Full Version : Since Bob Stoops isn't good enough for us...

Eielson
10/3/2009, 11:50 PM
Who would you rather have as our coach? Special prize to anybody who can name 5 coaches they'd rather have without making me laugh or cry.

rawlingsHOH
10/3/2009, 11:54 PM
I wish we managed the game better. End-of-half clock strategies, fakes, etc.

tulsaoilerfan
10/3/2009, 11:54 PM
Hell right now there are probably at least 100 coaches that could have this team at 2-2 right now; Bob gets alot of credit when the team performs, but the sad fact is we are pathetic against ranked teams on the road or at neutral sites and he deserves to be asked what the **** is going on; hard to remember but at one time he was like 9-1 against top 10 teams

GrapevineSooner
10/3/2009, 11:57 PM
I don't want to replace him.

But I would like for him and his staff to engage in a little introspection when a 3rd down play is called late in the 4th to run a screen pass that's caught 7 yards behind the line and gives our players no chance to convert it into a first down.

Because losing all these games to ranked opponents isn't always the players' fault.

GottaHavePride
10/3/2009, 11:58 PM
Ditka.

;)

SOONER44EVER
Urban Meyer
Pete Carroll
Nick Saban
Chris Peterson

Trying to think of a 5th one.

Mjcpr
I don't have a problem with Stoops, I do have some problems with some of the things he does but mostly I have a problem with some of the coordinators and asst coaches. I guess you could say Stoops has made mistakes in not making staff or player changes when it is obvious they are needed.

That said, I think most people would say that Meyer and Saban are better than Stoops so there's two.

tulsaoilerfan
I don't want to replace him.

But I would like for him and his staff to engage in a little introspection when a 3rd down play is called late in the 4th to run a screen pass that's caught 7 yards behind the line and gives our players no chance to convert it into a first down.

Because losing all these games to ranked opponents isn't always the players' fault.

The last 4 losses are all on the coaching staff

getrdone
how about the guy at tcu-sorry can't remember his name-to much knobb creek tonight

not wanting bob fired, but just offering up a sugguestion for you

GrapevineSooner
10/3/2009, 11:59 PM
Bill Stewart's the name you're thinking of. :D

mightysooner
10/4/2009, 12:02 AM
Stoops is a good coach....not a great coach.

In no particular order of coaches performing better than Stoops over the last 3 seasons...

Chris Peterson
Urban Mayer
Pete Carrol
Gary Patterson
Nick Saban
Mack Brown (GAG!!!)

Eielson
10/4/2009, 12:05 AM
Urban Meyer
Pete Carroll
Nick Saban
Chris Peterson

So you think that Stoops is the 5th best coach in the nation?

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 12:07 AM
So you think that Stoops is the 5th best coach in the nation?

7 or 8 years ago yes. Now, no. Just can't think of any right now in my present inebriated condition. lol

Eielson
10/4/2009, 12:08 AM
Stoops is a good coach....not a great coach.

In no particular order of coaches performing better than Stoops over the last 3 seasons...

Chris Peterson
Urban Mayer
Pete Carrol
Gary Patterson
Nick Saban
Mack Brown (GAG!!!)

Even if that list were good, I think if you rated a guy as the #7 coach in the nation then it would classify him as "great".

Johnny Utah
10/4/2009, 12:09 AM
Urban Meyer
Pete Carroll
Nick Saban
Chris Peterson

Mark Richt
Les Miles

5thYearSooner
10/4/2009, 12:09 AM
Stoops has some serious decisions to make. I cant blame injuries on the conditioning team but why do this happen to us. This season feels like 2005. A trip to MNC, Lose O line, QB and Receivers. FIrst game play a good MW team, lose it cuz of O line. I mean this happens every 4 years. Its a pattern.
Did stoops fire anybody ever? Get some assistant coaches from SEC/Pac10. Our staff hires 3 star players and they play like 4 star. Its really frustrating to see same things happen again. The last close game on road we won was at TA&M in 2006. The trend since then seems "You Trail, You Lose". I gotta say other top teams are better than us in comebacks. With what I have seen Im worried abt games against UT,Nebraska.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 12:10 AM
Mark Richt
Les Miles

I thought of lester but just couldn't bring myself to put his name in there.

Eielson
10/4/2009, 12:11 AM
Les Miles

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHAHAHAHA!

gaylordfan1
10/4/2009, 12:12 AM
I didn't even read all the neg's above... It wasn't Stoop guys! Does anyone realize that it is the players responsibility to execute! L. Jones played great. Do you realize how difficult it is playing without 3 of our top offensive players? Our defense played their hearts out.... Should they have done more? Yes. But dont put this on the coaches guys. If you do you are too spoiled! In case you were wondering the 3 guys are Bradford, Gresham, and Broyles.... Our three big time play makers.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 12:14 AM
I didn't even read all the neg's above... It wasn't Stoop guys! Does anyone realize that it is the players responsibility to execute! L. Jones played great. Do you realize how difficult it is playing without 3 of our top offensive players? Our defense played their hearts out.... Should they have done more? Yes. But dont put this on the coaches guys. If you do you are too spoiled! In case you were wondering the 3 guys are Bradford, Gresham, and Broyles.... Our three big time play makers.

I bet you said the same thing after the BYU loss too right?

Johnny Utah
10/4/2009, 12:15 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEHEHEHAHAHAHA!

like him as a person or not ... what's wrong with winning games?

Fraggle145
10/4/2009, 12:17 AM

This is on KW. Lack of preparedness on O. Cant expect the D to play the whole game and not have a few breakdowns.

Still this is after a bye week. Similarities to a bowl game? anyone? anyone? ****ING BE PREPARED. QUIT SHOWING YOUR *** ON NATIONAL TV BY LOSING TO LESSER TEAMS.

Is that too much to ask?

5thYearSooner
10/4/2009, 12:18 AM
like him as a person or not ... what's wrong with winning Closegames?

Fixed

rainiersooner
10/4/2009, 12:19 AM
Mark Richt
Les Miles

Yeah. Les Miles rocks. Come on now.

I think Urban Meyer is a better coach, I suppose. Although, I also think he has the benefit of better players from recruiting. He also got to play against an overrated Ohio State team to win one of his championships.

Is Pete Carroll a better coach. We'd be livid if we **** the brick against unranked teams on the road once a year.

Is Mack Brown really a better coach?

My main problem with Stoops is that - to quote Jim Collins - in our case, good is the enemy of great.

Johnny Utah
10/4/2009, 12:20 AM
Fixed

either way thx

Eielson
10/4/2009, 12:21 AM
like him as a person or not ... what's wrong with winning games?

You are out of your mind if you think Les Miles is a better coach than Bob Stoops.

Winning games? He lost 5 games last year. That's not that impressive considering the team that Saban left him.

Jdog
10/4/2009, 12:21 AM
Who would you rather have as our coach? Special prize to anybody who can name 5 coaches they'd rather have without making me laugh or cry.

Kevin S - Houston

Meyer - FU

Saben - bama

Mike Singletary - San Fran

Petersen - BSU

in that order

Fraggle145
10/4/2009, 12:22 AM
This is what is wrong with our team... we arent prepared.

BE PREPARED. QUIT SHOWING YOUR *** ON NATIONAL TV BY LOSING TO LESSER TEAMS.

Eielson
10/4/2009, 12:23 AM
Kevin S - Houston

Meyer - FU

Saben - bama

Mike Singletary - San Fran

Petersen - BSU

in that order

I most definately laughed.

sortiz1965
10/4/2009, 12:24 AM
Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Pete Carroll
Gary Patterson
Brian Kelly
Scott Petersen
Jim Leavitt

Mjcpr
10/4/2009, 12:24 AM
Is Mack Brown really a better coach?

Geez, ****. I can't believe I am going to take up for Mack Brown after all of the grief he's had on this board and deservedly so, but save for a miracle throw/catch, when was the last game he lost in which he was favored? How about a bowl game loss to a lesser team?

Johnny Utah
10/4/2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah. Les Miles rocks. Come on now.

come on now ... what does that really mean? I'm neither a les miles supporter or apologist (I live in the heart of sec country and get sick of the continuous hype) but he's won a mnc as well as most of the ooc games.

primetime43
10/4/2009, 12:25 AM
You are out of your mind if you think Les Miles is a better coach than Bob Stoops.

Winning games? He lost 5 games last year. That's not that impressive considering the team that Saban left him.

He does win a lot of close games and he did give Stoops problems earlier in the decade.

gaylordfan1
10/4/2009, 12:27 AM
I blame it one the injuries 44 SOONER! Life is chance... Football is Life... So, sometimes it goes your way, and sometimes it doesn't!

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 12:29 AM
He does win a lot of close games and he did give Stoops problems earlier in the decade.

Stoops can't win a close game. He hasn't won a game decided by 6 or less points in 2 or 3 years. On the other hand, Barry NEVER lost a game decided by 3 points or less.

Eielson
10/4/2009, 12:33 AM
come on now ... what does that really mean? I'm neither a les miles supporter or apologist (I live in the heart of sec country and get sick of the continuous hype) but he's won a mnc as well as most of the ooc games.

Saban could have won a championship with that team while taking naps on the sideline. In fact, Miles probably would have been better off doing so. He did everything he could to make that team lose. That team would convert everything regardless of how crappy the playcall. Not to mention they did lose 2 games. If he had recruited those players I would give him credit, but he didn't, and they definately didn't win it because of coaching.

Since I know it will be brought up, Blake would not have won a championship in 2000. That is the difference.

Eielson
10/4/2009, 12:34 AM
Stoops can't win a close game. He hasn't won a game decided by 6 or less points in 2 or 3 years. On the other hand, Barry NEVER lost a game decided by 3 points or less.

Yeah, Barry NEVER made mistakes. :rolleyes:

Johnny Utah
10/4/2009, 12:37 AM
Saban could have won a championship with that team while taking naps on the sideline. In fact, Miles probably would have been better off doing so. He did everything he could to make that team lose. That team would convert everything regardless of how crappy the playcall. Not to mention they did lose 2 games. If he had recruited those players I would give him credit, but he didn't, and they definately didn't win it because of coaching.

Since I know it will be brought up, Blake would not have won a championship in 2000. That is the difference.

??? ... i'm not referring to any specific team or supporting les miles

Denver_Sooner
BRING BACK JOHN BLAKE!!!!! LOL

SOONER44EVER
Yeah, Barry NEVER made mistakes. :rolleyes:

I never said that.

rainiersooner
10/4/2009, 12:38 AM

It means that its reactionary and unfounded to say Les Miles is a better coach than Bob Stoops.

CaliBornSoonerBred
10/4/2009, 12:39 AM
The only thing anyone should be questioning is the loyalty of Stoop's to his coordinators. I would not replace Coach Stoops for anyone in the country(f*@# all the haters) but I would change his nice guy mentality for keeping the play calling totally in the hands of Venables and Wilson.

chsooner21
10/4/2009, 12:43 AM
I agree that injuries are REALLY hurting us right now...but we still have talent all over the field. You give other coaches our guys and they will make something out of it. With the defensive talent we have, other coaches would be crushing opponents ie. Chris Peterson or Gary Patterson. TCU does it every year with much less talent than we have. If Gary Patterson runs the show at OU... we're looking at 4-0 heading into the Baylor game.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 12:44 AM
The 2007 Texas win was by 7 (makes no sense to label 6-points "close", but 7-points not).

Switzer was AMAZING in the close game. Maybe the best of all-time. Can't expect anybody to live up to that.

Switzer, 29-11 in one-score games.

Stoops, 17-13 in one-score games.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 12:48 AM
The 2007 Texas win was by 7 (makes no sense to label 6-points "close", but 7-points not).

Switzer was AMAZING in the close game. Maybe the best of all-time. Can't expect anybody to live up to that.

Thats what I was trying to say.

mehip
10/4/2009, 12:59 AM
I love coach Stoops.

But, some of the play calling in these tight games is depressing. On the last OU scoring drive Miami had what looked like the whole D unit within 12 yards of the ball. If we were going to play for the field goal anyway why the hell not try a slant or some play action?

Would it really hurt to shake up the staff a little bit?

Was Miami's OL that good? Or, was their blocking scheme perfect and we didn't make any adjustments. I don't remember hearing McCoy's name tonight.

wishbonesooner
10/4/2009, 05:24 AM
Bob has circled the wagons when it comes to admitting there are some problems in preparation for big games.

CtheB
10/4/2009, 07:28 AM
Who would you rather have as our coach?

I remember this same question being posed to Kelvin Sampson detractors. Enter Jeff Capel.

jduggle
10/4/2009, 07:37 AM
The only thing anyone should be questioning is the loyalty of Stoop's to his coordinators. I would not replace Coach Stoops for anyone in the country(f*@# all the haters) but I would change his nice guy mentality for keeping the play calling totally in the hands of Venables and Wilson.

I totally agree to a point. I love Coach Stoops too, but if he's not willing to change the staff based on their performance in big games, then he's part of the problem.

When I see a Miami receiver 10 yards away from the closest OU defender and after he scores a befuddled Franks...it's clearly not the players fault. BV's defense will always give up big plays because of the nature of his zone implementation.

IMO, OU will never win another NC with BV as DC. How many big losses does it take before Stoops gets a grip?

kustang619
10/4/2009, 08:14 AM
I don't have a problem with Stoops, I do have some problems with some of the things he does but mostly I have a problem with some of the coordinators and asst coaches. I guess you could say Stoops has made mistakes in not making staff or player changes when it is obvious they are needed.

That said, I think most people would say that Meyer and Saban are better than Stoops so there's two.

I agree with the above... I am so tired of a run play or shotgun draw on 3rd and 9 or 10. Throw the dadgum ball and try to move the chains, be aggressive for goodness sake.

zeke
10/4/2009, 08:39 AM
If we block the guy who caused L. Jones to fumble & ultimatly cost OU 7 points we are not complaining about coaching today. Same goes for the missed opportunities on defense...A wide open reciever deep, miami QB fumble that we should have recovered or the dropped pick 6 we had late. Change any of those and we are not complaining today.

Then add the fact that we are missing some play makers due to injury.

Take 2 or three of the best players away from coaches that are so much "better" than what we have and see how well they respond.
Granted there were some questionable plays called on 3rd down all night. But, I'm just guessing here, I figure those guys who were in the coachs boxes upstairs with headsets on were seeing things that we who were watching on tv could not.
I work with several guys who were texting me during the game who think we should fire the whole coaching staff and recruit smarter players...geez give me a break.
Its the Jims & the Joes more than the X's & O's.
Block-Tackle and Execution

jduggle
10/4/2009, 08:41 AM
Zeke....that's all fine and good...but just look at what you're saying. We can't block, tackle or execute? Along with the penalties aren't those the hallmarks of a poorly coached team?

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 08:42 AM

1 time at Nebraska in 78;only cost us a sure National Championship too

ELP Sooner
10/4/2009, 09:17 AM
We haven't been the same since Mangino left. I know all you guys love Mike Stoops, but what has he built at U of Az? Nothing. The program is still a mess. Look at what Mangino has done, he turned a nothing program into something. As for Bob, I am fine with him at the controls. I think our fans need to look at the talent and experience we have on the field right now and honestly evaluate it. I was more disappointed in the defense than the offense. The "D" is pretty well experienced and has some NFL quality guys out there. The "O" with the injuries and all is patchwork at best.

FaninAma
10/4/2009, 09:22 AM
If Mack Brown had recused to shake up his
coaching staff after big failures and disappointing
years he would have been gone after the 2003
season.!

Breadburner
10/4/2009, 09:35 AM
I dont want Stoops replaced..But if he was I would pick Pat Hill from Fresno St.

Sooner-N-KS
10/4/2009, 09:42 AM
Here's an honest question. I'm asking it because I don't know the answer.

What roll does Stoops play during the game? I'm sure he's the one that decides whether to go for it on 4th or kick. He decided on the fake field goal. But what else does he do to impact the game? What does he do to impact the offense or defense?

I don't want to get rid of Stoops at all. But I think his major flaw is his loyalty to his assistants. I don't think he has ever fired an assistant.

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 10:10 AM
I don't get why some fans still think Wilson and Venables are worth a damn as coordinators; as long as they have been in charge of their units, neither one has gotten offered a decent head coaching job; that in itself should say something about the outside perception of them, shouldn't it? Hell Sumlin wasn't even a coordinator and he got a head job before either of them

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2009, 10:22 AM
Kevin S - Houston

UTEP just put up 58 points on them and beat them by 17.

UTEP, the same team that UT beat 64-7 last week and trailed 47-0 at halftime.

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2009, 10:25 AM
I don't get why some fans still think Wilson and Venables are worth a damn as coordinators; as long as they have been in charge of their units, neither one has gotten offered a decent head coaching job; that in itself should say something about the outside perception of them, shouldn't it?

I don't put any stock in this. First of all, they may not be shopping for a head coaching job. Also, the job of a head coach is much different than a coordinator, and many may just think that they don't have head coaching qualities. How many great coordinators turn out to be lousy head coaches? Happens all the time.

btk108
10/4/2009, 10:25 AM
Did anyone notice when Stoops was chewing on Franks and Clayton..they weren't even paying attention to him?

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2009, 10:27 AM
Did anyone notice when Stoops was chewing on Franks and Clayton..they weren't even paying attention to him?

I seriously doubt that.

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2009, 10:29 AM
I dont want Stoops replaced..But if he was I would pick Pat Hill from Fresno St.

My friend in Fresno tells me that the fans want to run Pat Hill out of town. I think they're insane.

btk108
10/4/2009, 10:40 AM
I seriously doubt that.
Then you didn't see it. Franks kept walking away from him to get in a group with other players....never even acknowledged Stoops was there. Clayton sat on the bench and stared into space.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 10:46 AM
You folks really got off track on this one IMO.

When I saw this question posed...I again really gave it some thought.

Pete Carroll? LMAO...he's got the exact same problems we do. He's no better than Bob. Plus just like Urban Meyer...no way you'd get him to Norman's doorstep. Find another viable candidate. Remember...you need 5.

Nick Saban? Funny how folks don't remember what happened at the Sugar Bowl. He won and then bagged on his Team and Fans. Yeah I want a guy that does that.

Chris Peterson? Guess he gets a maybe since he's turned a lousy Boise State into a mediocre force. Maybe he could put together something better than Bob if given the chance. I think Sooner Fans would give him about 1-2 seasons before he was packing his ****.

Urban Meyer? Get real...no way that guy ever makes it to Norman's doorstep. This isn't even an option. He's as good as Bob IMO...not much better.

Bill Stewart? Maybe. I'll give you a maybe. There's two guys...you need three more. BTW...he'd have to want to come here BTW. You need five IMO before you let Bobby go. Better have a nice long list too. The Monster demands it if your gonna get rid of a guy who brought another NC to your School. Remember...we are trying to find guys who can win National Championships right?

mack brown? Get real....flamebait.

Mark Richt? Great job he did against aggie with Joe Cox at the helm. You guys remember he was working for Bowden in 2000 and left. We won a NC that year. He's been at the helm of Georgia since then and is no closer to a NC than Bowden.

Les Miles? Phil and Dean should probably ban you for mentioning him in the same breath as Stoops. Let er Rip Phil!

Bottomline....this thread is 3 pages long now and nobody can put together three more they'd really rather have.

Spoiled we are. Bob Stoops is our man....

btk108
10/4/2009, 10:55 AM
ST...you're right....and I can't think of anyone else I want running this program.

Flagstaffsooner
10/4/2009, 11:09 AM
Barry aint doing anything these days.;)

Leroy Lizard
10/4/2009, 11:13 AM
Nick Saban? Funny how folks don't remember what happened at the Sugar Bowl. He won.

Fixed.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 11:27 AM
I bet you said the same thing after the BYU loss too right?

Even if he did...he's right.

PLaw
10/4/2009, 11:36 AM
Mark Richt
Les Miles

I think a lot of Mark Richt, but his teams under perform considering the amount of talent they put on the field.

wishbonesooner
10/4/2009, 11:44 AM
I want Bob to stay, and stay a long time. What I also want is to even remotely think that in the coaches offices today, Bob is talking like this:
"Good God Brent, can you not figure out a way to stop those drag routes across the middle? If you can't, I bet I can find somebody who can. And you BJW, can we not play a game without a receiver getting completely behind us uncovered? By God you better if you want to stay on my staff" That's what I want to think goes on behind closed doors. Problem is, I don't think it does.

void
10/4/2009, 11:46 AM
What's Gary Gibbs up to these days?

Funky G
10/4/2009, 11:51 AM

OU is 16-14 away from Norman starting with the 2005 Orange Bowl.

HBick
10/4/2009, 12:25 PM
Charlie Strong from Florida. Defensive Coordinator, straight up badass.

stoopified
10/4/2009, 12:52 PM
Urban Meyer
Pete Carroll
Nick Saban
Chris Peterson

Trying to think of a 5th one.The stipulation should have been 5 coaches who OU could have a reasonable chance to hire IF Bob quit or was fired

.As for your list Carroll will never leave USC aunless the NCAA finally drops the hammer on him.Njick Saban?He has the same 4-6 bowl record as Bob and Bama won't let him go.Chris Peterson ? Are you kidding me? Aside from the one win over OU in which his team pulled off three trick plays for a 1 point victory in OT ,what has he done?Beat UT...uh no.Beat any other Top 10 teams?...Uh no.If he was any good he would be at a Top 10 school and not at Boys State.BTW BSU and Peterson turned down contract offers from OU for a series.Do you think Bob and OU would turn down a shot at Boys State?

As for Urban I do think he looks like a good candidate EXCEPT he is already at UF and will not make a lateral move.If he wanted to move, the buyout would be enormous.

I would also say this Meyer would be NO BETTEER than 2-2 with his Heisman winner on the bench for 3 1/2 games,his All-American TE out for the year, and his only experienced WR missing 2/3 of a matchup vs. a Top 25 team.

Is Bob the perfect coach? No but who can you get to come to OU that is better? Winning over 80% of your games,dominating the Big 12(winning 6 of the last 9 titles is dominance) is not easy to do.

soonerloyal
10/4/2009, 01:01 PM
My favorite five:

1. Bob Stoops
2. Bob Stoops
3. Bob Stoops
4. Bob Stoops
5. Bob Stoops

and a possible sixth:

6. Bob Stoops

GET A FRICKING GRIP, PEOPLE, OR GO HIDE IN A CORNER AWAY FROM THE REST OF US UNTIL YOU GET ONE. :mad:

Jeeebus, some of y'all's overreactions are pathetic. :mad:

Johnny Utah
10/4/2009, 02:07 PM
I see that some of y'all LOVED :rolleyes: my mention of "The Hat" last night (I thought this was a sort of a brainstorming post but whatever, and at lest I didn't mention Gundy ;) ) Here's one for the future (in lieu of KW or BV eventually stepping into the HC role :eek: ):

Jim Harbaugh of the Stanford Cardinal

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 02:18 PM
Unless i missed it, i haven't seen anyone even suggest the Bob should be fired; however, how much longer is he going to accept the mediocrity on his coaching staff? Last night was just another example of coaching mistakes on both sides of the ball costing the team a game they should have won by at least 10 points; does anyone really think BYU and Miami are better than OU?

UteSooner
10/4/2009, 02:20 PM
This is silly.

1. Who almost had that pick 6 near the end of the Miami game? Franks? He holds on to that and we win. Are we still mad then? Probably not.

2. The last drive of the BYU game we get pushed out of field goal range with an o-line penalty. Without it, that FG would have been close. We make it--are we still mad then? Probably not.

3. NC game last year was lost on probably 2 plays (the interceptions that weren't Sam's fault- those passes are caught--are we still mad then? Or is Bob a genius for winning 2 NC games?

Eielson
10/4/2009, 03:01 PM
??? ... i'm not referring to any specific team or supporting les miles

You said Miles was better than Stoops, thus supporting him.