PDA

View Full Version : For all those Kevin Wilsons bashers

itsok
10/3/2009, 11:16 PM
I hated that draw call and the run calls during the second to last and last drives, maybe he didnt trust the recievers, i dont know...but remember last year he had the HIGHEST scoring ofense in the HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!
i try not to lose perspective...

Petro-Sooner
10/3/2009, 11:23 PM
Kevin was let go. We hired Chuck Long.

GrapevineSooner
10/3/2009, 11:24 PM
And from my perspective, this team hasn't beaten a ranked non-conference opponent away from Norman since 2005.

soonervegas
10/3/2009, 11:24 PM
True....he has only been a screw up in 2009.

MyT Oklahoma
10/3/2009, 11:26 PM
Last year doesn't count for what he is paid to do this year.

CtheB
10/3/2009, 11:27 PM
You can judge Wilson for the entire body of work, and he has led offenses that put up some sick numbers, but I judge his performance when it counts, and I just can't get past the fact that when he needs to score in the second half of games he just can't get it done. Cannot recall a seond half come from behind win in his tenure. Sorry, he's good, but I think that he gets a bit rattled when the pressure is on.

SOONER44EVER
10/3/2009, 11:28 PM
He also had the Heisman winner, best TE in the nation, outstanding recievers and backs, and an All-American line. Maybe, just maybe, those guys just made him a little better than he is.

Johnny Utah
10/3/2009, 11:28 PM
I hated that draw call and the run calls during the second to last and last drives, maybe he didnt trust the recievers, i dont know...but remember last year he had the HIGHEST scoring ofense in the HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!

I'm sorry but "HIGHEST scoring ofense in the HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!" or not, OU cannot seem to beat nonconference opponents on the road, including bowl games! At the end of the day it's the final score that matters.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/3/2009, 11:30 PM
two words:

KEVIN. SUMLIN.

ok one more (two?):
Mastermind.

Petro-Sooner
10/3/2009, 11:32 PM
We're a joke. I accept it.

Funky G
10/3/2009, 11:37 PM

All those points came against 2nd tier teams. OU is 16-14 away from Norman since 05.

To defend Wilson, and use all the points scored in the 4th quarter of games last year is a bit weak. We scored 14 against Florida. 13 against BYU. 20 against Miami, with turnover help.

I look at what OU does against equal competition.

meoveryouxinfinity
10/3/2009, 11:40 PM
You are only as good as your weakest link!!! O-Line!

And the reality is, we've been overdue for another down year.

TXBOOMER
10/3/2009, 11:44 PM
two words:

KEVIN. SUMLIN.

ok one more (two?):
Mastermind.

UTEP just spanked the Cougars.

tulsaoilerfan
10/3/2009, 11:44 PM
Wilson calls a completely different game on the road as opposed to being at home

meoveryouxinfinity
10/3/2009, 11:45 PM
UTEP just spanked the Cougars.

Oh. haha.

mightysooner
10/3/2009, 11:46 PM
You can't just give credit to Wilson when he does good. Tonight....he was HORRIBLE! And he needs to answer to that.

Okie35
10/3/2009, 11:47 PM
Who cares? He is a good coordinator but tonight he called WAYYYYY too much conservative plays.

SOONER44EVER
10/3/2009, 11:48 PM
When OU wins its because of the coaches and when they lose its because of the players. Just ask the local media.

Petro-Sooner
10/3/2009, 11:50 PM
Pack your bags wilson.

rawlingsHOH
10/3/2009, 11:50 PM
He got REALLY conservative immediately after both of our TD drives.

It was kind of strange.

KC//CRIMSON
10/3/2009, 11:52 PM
FEAR THE STACHE!

http://www.acc-tv.com/images/ktul/news/big4_kevinwilson1_0808.jpg

and his play calling.....

IronHorseSooner
10/3/2009, 11:55 PM
What is so pathetic is that he was an OL COACH before he was an OC!

itsok
10/3/2009, 11:59 PM
The first TD throw was a thing of beauty...I agree that i dont understand why he didnt use landry a little more...oh well...done deal...

Petro-Sooner
Hes a joke!!!

Johnny Utah

So how does Bama replace 3 very good starters on OL and still manage to "dominate" yet OU ... ?

bri
10/4/2009, 12:01 AM
Wilson has got to go. His cowardice is costing us championships.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 12:10 AM
So how does Bama replace 3 very good starters on OL and still manage to "dominate" yet OU ... ?

Yeah they looked really "dominant" against Utah and Florida last season.

Good example, LOL!

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 12:14 AM

Good example, LOL!

Didn't they score more against Florida than we did? There is no way in hell they had half the offensive talent last year that OU had

Johnny Utah
10/4/2009, 12:16 AM

Good example, LOL!

I was referring to THIS season not LAST season, LOL!

Fraggle145
10/4/2009, 12:29 AM
And from my perspective, this team hasn't beaten a ranked non-conference opponent away from Norman since 2005.

Shhh... Delay Draw.

primetime43
10/4/2009, 12:38 AM
Shhh... Delay Draw.

and the pass for no yards on 3rd and long.

Fraggle145
10/4/2009, 12:39 AM
Run it to Cory Brandon's side... Oh wait. Holding.

Curly Bill
10/4/2009, 12:47 AM
When the pressure is on KW reverts to Big 10 football -- is anyone surprised that it happened again tonight?

Johnny Utah
10/4/2009, 12:49 AM
When the pressure is on KW reverts to Big 10 football -- is anyone surprised that it happened again tonight?

... and the results are similar to Big 10 football vs OOC opponents :mad: .

Okie35
10/4/2009, 12:53 AM
Didn't they score more against Florida than we did? There is no way in hell they had half the offensive talent last year that OU had

Conference games are always easier to play because you know your opponent.

Zbird
10/4/2009, 10:40 AM
Wilson has got to go. His cowardice is costing us championships.

Agreed. Huepel for OC!

With Landry's arm, we should have aired it out instead of running repeated running plays that hadn't worked all nights. Kenny and Tennel had both stepped up after Broyles went out, and Madu should have been used more than the 3 or 4 touches he got.

Demarco and Chris need the ball outside when we haven't got the OL muscle to open holes inside.

btk108
10/4/2009, 10:42 AM
What he said....

OU-HSV
10/4/2009, 11:12 AM
He got REALLY conservative immediately after both of our TD drives.

It was kind of strange.

I totally predicted Wilson to get conservative after we scored. And that's exactly what happened.
It blows my mind that myself, as a fan, can sit at home and seriously predict 3 or 4 of our stupid *** draw play calls before we snapped the ball.

I've been thinking about this a lot the last several weeks...it seems to me that Kevin Wilson and/or Brent Venables are not capable of winning close competitive games. It's like once they realize a game is close and lose-able, they freeze up. Kevin jumps into a conservative shell and is happy to playcall to "not lose" as others of you have stated on here already. And I'm no defensive mastermind coach or anything...but something is not working with what Venables uses. We allow way too many 3rd down conversions at inopportune moments. It's freaking crazy, and it seems Venables thinks zone blitzes are the answer to everything (or am I wrong with that??)

Well, Okay....KW props for a record setting season last year, but my gosh I'm sick and f**king tired of losing these games that are actually win-able. KW either needs to get some new mojo in the playcalling, or Stoops needs to get his man hat back on and kick KW to the curb.

Seems to be a trend....Coaching is what lost last night, not the players....not the lack of WR's, not the lack of Sam Bradford, not the lack of Gresham.....it was flat out **** poor coaching. Period.

IronSooner
10/4/2009, 11:19 AM
Has anybody considered the fact that we had a week off to prepare for this? We had two full weeks and this is what we came up with. Coaching.

Sooner-N-KS
10/4/2009, 11:37 AM

And who was it back in August telling us that we have what may be the greatest OL in the past 10 years?

It was the former OL coach turned OC.......Kevin Wilson.

Fraggle145
10/4/2009, 11:46 AM
Has anybody considered the fact that we had a week off to prepare for this? We had two full weeks and this is what we came up with. Coaching.

this.

soonerborn45
10/4/2009, 11:55 AM

For you to sit there and actually defend Kevin Wilson is absolutely studpid. Yes that offense was great but that was last year. Not only has Wilson f@#*ed up in two games this year but he has done it ever since he has been the OC. Honestly, can you tell me any game from last year or years past where Wilson absolutely dominates a good team? I'm not going to count OSU because they were not good.

PLaw
10/4/2009, 11:56 AM

Largely racked up against the worst BCS defensive conference.

Bottom line - didn't get it done on two possessions inside the 5 against the gators.

Last night, after hammering the ball to the left side of the line, has a brain fart and goes right twice??

Where is James Hanna? Do they just not have any confidence in the kid? Guess what? Gresh is gone and he ain't comin' back. If you can't go to Hanna or Brody on play action, then you better be figuring out who can play TE during Big 12 play.

It's been a long time since I felt like I did after the cheap shot that Simmons took on that Cane. Real classy big fella.

Yep, Wilson needs to stand up and take some accountability.

BOOMER

IronHorseSooner
10/4/2009, 11:58 AM
I thought that Brandon had the cheap shot. After the way he has played, and with that stunt, he wouldn't see the field.

BajaOklahoma
10/4/2009, 12:05 PM
I am always evaluated on my current performance, not what I did in the past.

OKC-SLC
10/4/2009, 12:09 PM

yeah, but you're not a Big 10 friend, and your boss hasn't lost his testicles.

BevoAssassin
10/4/2009, 12:09 PM
What baffles me the most is running the ball on 3rd and long (a situation in which they found themselves quite often). It was cute the first time when Miami didn't expect it and they got the 1st but after that, it's like KW was hoping for the same result over and over again. It was obvious that he wasn't going to fool the Miami D with a run play on 3rd and long again. If fans can understand that, why can't the man in the pressbox?

OU-HSV
10/4/2009, 12:13 PM
yeah, but you're not a Big 10 friend, and your boss hasn't lost his testicles.

:pop:

OU-HSV
10/4/2009, 12:13 PM
What baffles me the most is running the ball on 3rd and long (a situation in which they found themselves quite often). It was cute the first time when Miami didn't expect it and they got the 1st but after that, it's like KW was hoping for the same result over and over again. It was obvious that he wasn't going to fool the Miami D with a run play on 3rd and long again. If fans can understand that, why can't the man in the pressbox?

And running 7 consecutive times on our last or next to last drive.

soonerhubs
10/4/2009, 12:16 PM
Kevin Wilson looks like a genius against patsies, but looks like fool against any decent defense.

BevoAssassin
10/4/2009, 12:16 PM
And running 7 consecutive times on our last or next to last drive.

Apparently conserving the clock meant nothing. I would understand if they were busting off 20 yard runs every play, but most of them were for no gain or a loss.

jkjsooner
10/4/2009, 12:17 PM
If you have an o-line that isn't giving the QB protection and the receivers aren't getting open you tend to get conservative. Wilson would love to open it up.

As for those who say he got conservative after the TD drive, well, we also lost our only productive receiver as well.

It's easy to sit there an be critical but Wilson has to take everything into consideration incuding how our right tackles were getting blown up every single play.

jkjsooner
10/4/2009, 12:20 PM

You know what, if you're the top performer in your office and you have an off day and your boss fires you for it then he's pretty damn stupid and some other company will get a darn good employee.

HBick
10/4/2009, 12:21 PM
We're a joke. I accept it.

We are. At least we aren't a laughing stock, yet.

And I agree with the thread starter. That draw play may work on 3rd and 5 (and to Wilson's defense, it did work once on a long 3rd and 11), but it's only going to work once, not 5 times.

ashley
10/4/2009, 12:22 PM
He also had the Heisman winner, best TE in the nation, outstanding recievers and backs, and an All-American line. Maybe, just maybe, those guys just made him a little better than he is.

A famous coach told me once that if you don't have at least three players that can play better than you can coach you are not going to be real good.

OU-HSV
10/4/2009, 12:22 PM
If you have an o-line that isn't giving the QB protection and the receivers aren't getting open you tend to get conservative. Wilson would love to open it up.

As for those who say he got conservative after the TD drive, well, we also lost our only productive receiver as well.

It's easy to sit there an be critical but Wilson has to take everything into consideration incuding how our right tackles were getting blown up every single play.

I'm tired of the injuries being an excuse.
Caleb has proven he can play football...and I almost had a stroke when I saw Tennel make a grab last night. We should have thrown the ball more, regardless of injuries.
And about the right side of the O-Line getting blown up. Then even if we wanted to get conservative, why the hell did we even attempt to run to the right side.

jkjsooner
10/4/2009, 12:26 PM
What baffles me the most is running the ball on 3rd and long (a situation in which they found themselves quite often). It was cute the first time when Miami didn't expect it and they got the 1st but after that, it's like KW was hoping for the same result over and over again. It was obvious that he wasn't going to fool the Miami D

He wasn't trying to fool the Miami D. He was in a close game in which the o-line and receivers were not performing. The goal was to survive and live to fight on and it almost worked out.

The way we were playing we had a lot better chance of turning the ball over on third and long than we do of converting and the risk is much higher than the reward.

I admit it's frustrating and it isn't fun to watch us run on third and long but every single coach out there (NFL and college) will do it when they don't have a lot of confidence in how the guys are playing and every single fan base complains about it.

jkjsooner
10/4/2009, 12:31 PM
I'm tired of the injuries being an excuse.
Caleb has proven he can play football...and I almost had a stroke when I saw Tennel make a grab last night. We should have thrown the ball more, regardless of injuries.
And about the right side of the O-Line getting blown up. Then even if we wanted to get conservative, why the hell did we even attempt to run to the right side.

I don't know but on the two plays before that Miami was selling out to stop the run to the left. We were somewhat successful but I don't see that working too many more times. If we run to the left and get stuffed everthe yone would ask why we went to the well too many times in a row. Anyone can be brilliant with hindsight

BevoAssassin
10/4/2009, 12:34 PM
He wasn't trying to fool the Miami D. He was in a close game in which the o-line and receivers were not performing. The goal was to survive and live to fight on and it almost worked out.

The way we were playing we had a lot better chance of turning the ball over on third and long than we do of converting and the risk is much higher than the reward.

I admit it's frustrating and it isn't fun to watch us run on third and long but every single coach out there (NFL and college) will do it when they don't have a lot of confidence in how the guys are playing and every single fan base complains about it.

So just because he doesn't have confidence in the players he has on the field he shouldn't play to win, but instead not to lose? In my opinion, it would be better to try and make mistakes as a result than not to try at all. Being conservative lost the NC game last year. You just don't win football games against good teams being conservative. Mix it up. Last night, Wilson looked like he was ready to just have the team lay down and die. OU recruits good players. It's not necessary to go into a conservative shell when some are getting injured and others aren't playing to their potential. Great coaches overcome that with playcalling

EnragedOUfan
10/4/2009, 12:52 PM
Kevin Wilson's playcalling is pathetic. End of story. He, just like his pal Brent, are both pathetic. Any coach who calls a draw play on 3rd and long is garbage. Coach to win, not coach to lose. We have a QB who seems to be quite mobile, why not roll him out of the pocket more on a PA pass like we did with Paul Thompson? That was quite effective given the circumstances. Plus, not to mention that Landry Jones is a stud QB. Also, I love to believe that our running game is effective, sometimes it is, but with this O-line, it never will be. I'll take a shot at this and predict our offensive game plan for Texas: Run the ball continuously against a much better defense than Miami, watch and observe that it doesn't work, but continue to do it anyways. Then, when it comes to 3rd and long, run another draw play.....As to Venables, I don't think its a coincidence that OU has lost 5 out of the last 6 bowl games. I'll even predict the game plan and what I think the outcome will be against Texas... The Sooners will line up in a Cover 2 defense. The linebackers will drop back 5-8 yards from the line of scrimmage in zone coverage. Texas, who lives on the short passing game, will kill us. Shipley will be in the middle all day. If not Shipley, it will be dump passes to the RB. As to Shipley, Venables will continue to believe that Shipley should be covered by a linebacker instead of a DB. Instead of mixing things up a little bit into I don't know, maybe a nickel package, the 4-3-4 coverage will stay the same throughout the game. Then maybe, just like in the Florida game, we'll continue to drop back our LB's in zone coverage on 3rd and 10 situations, and McCoy, like Tebow, will take off running. And unfortunately, there will be no way to stop it. Its quite sad. Not to mention, I really can't understand why Austin Box hasn't been given the opportunity. I can't imagine Box being slower that Reynolds, but may'be I'm wrong. On top of all this and unfortunately, Bob Stoops will watch this from the sidelines and do nothing. As to injuries, in my opinion, OU has to be the most injury prone team in college football. Whether its a hamstring, ACL, etc. I know, I know. We've had a string of bad luck. But I don't know. I still believe that Jerry Schmidt is the underlying factor to everything. I wish I knew, but I believe that there is a certain drill in practice, maybe even multiple drills that this man uses which makes the players injury prone. Just my opinion. Neg the heck out of me, even if this is only my twentieth something post. I'm done...........BOOMER!

OU-HSV
10/4/2009, 01:13 PM
I don't know but on the two plays before that Miami was selling out to stop the run to the left. We were somewhat successful but I don't see that working too many more times. If we run to the left and get stuffed everthe yone would ask why we went to the well too many times in a row. Anyone can be brilliant with hindsight

Exactly why you throw the ball or play action off of what they are trying to load up against.

It's not a matter of being brilliant. It's a matter of not calling a good offensive game (which lays on Kevin Wilson's shoulders)

MALE918
10/4/2009, 01:57 PM
kw has short spurts of brilliance. like our drive to start the game. run, run, fake run roll out pass, drop back pass, run, pass. that's not the exact playcalling but the point is it was varied - it sets the defense up for what's coming next. then it stops. he goes into this (on this drive we will focus on running the ball) and (on this drive will focus on passing the ball) absolutely no setting the defense up for something later. all great o.c.'s use plays that are only moderately succesful to set the d up for something later that will pay dividends and then have another play off that divident play to really mess with your head. then WALA! that play that was only a moderately succesfull play is now going for 7 and 8 yards because you have the d over compensating.
our roles are reversed. our d is overcompensating because opposing good o.c.'s are setting us up and our o is just - i don't know what the hell it is other than unimaginative.
quit judging kw on our success last year against weak teams. the big xii as a whole last year was a joke defensively. the point was proven when we played outside the conference. those offenses were mediocre at best and the d's were put down. against good defensive teams we struggled florida and texas and we sure didn't put 50 against tcu - it took the whole game to get to 35

VMG
10/4/2009, 02:37 PM
I think all you Chuck Long, KW, and Brent Venables bashers are letting Coach Bob Stoops off the hook. The buck stops with him. That doesn't mean he should be fired. But, if he thought any our recurring problems in big games needed changin' I suspect he wouldn't be timid about doing so.

Sometimes, the difficulty is not in the 'seeing' of problems but in identifying (or admitting) the root cause(s). I wonder what Bob thinks...

bri
10/4/2009, 07:59 PM
Our offensive line was just as sh*tty at the start of the game as they were the rest of the time. Wilson knew this; that's why we were rolling the pocket and - gasp - moving the ball. But as soon as the game was deemed "close", well, pardon my French, but if you shoved a lump of coal up KW's *ss at the start of the 2nd quarter, you'd have a diamond by the end of the game.

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 08:03 PM
Our offensive line was just as sh*tty at the start of the game as they were the rest of the time. Wilson knew this; that's why we were rolling the pocket and - gasp - moving the ball. But as soon as the game was deemed "close", well, pardon my French, but if you shoved a lump of coal up KW's *ss at the start of the 2nd quarter, you'd have a diamond by the end of the game.

Will a good colonic help him?

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 08:06 PM
As to Venables, I don't think its a coincidence that OU has lost 5 out of the last 6 bowl games. I'll even predict the game plan and what I think the outcome will be against Texas... The Sooners will line up in a Cover 2 defense. The linebackers will drop back 5-8 yards from the line of scrimmage in zone coverage.
That's funny, he's so "predictable" you don't even know what they play!

StoopTroup
10/4/2009, 08:13 PM

This is a valid point. Some folks said we had way to much time on our hands in all of the Bowl Losses. Maybe this is a trend as well.

I for one think it's not just one thing...it's a culmination of very many mistakes On and Off the Field. I remember Bob saying the going 13-0 wasn't easy. It was hard on everyone involved. I was working my *** off every week when I followed the Team to every game Home and Aawy in 2000. I know I was pretty beat up as a fan. Playing in those games looked brutal. We didn't have the best players out there every game....but we had heart. It's one thing I think we sometimes lack anymore. I really thought Sam had that last year and yet...we came up short again. This years setbacks have to have taken it's toll IMO. I'm betting our Coaches won't let these guys crash and burn either. I've never thought they were quitters. I always thought that it seems to take a loss to get our asses in gear....maybe this year...it's just going to take two...maybe three.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 08:17 PM
They weren't working on Miami for both weeks. I guarantee there was some Texas in that first week. They usually do that.

Soonerman08
10/4/2009, 08:22 PM

Down year or not we still gets our asses whooped outside of Norman against formidable competition.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 08:32 PM
Down year or not we still gets our asses whooped outside of Norman against formidable competition.
With the exception of beating Texas and #1 Mizzou, in 2007.

stoopified
10/4/2009, 08:56 PM
Its QUITE obvious that OU's offensive woes this year all are due to KW and his crappy playcalling.

I mean it isn't like we have inconsistent line play and a lack of healthy playmakers to deal with.I personally don't understand why Our best playmakers from last year didn't light up BYU and Miami.Bradford,Gresham,Broyles,Johnson,Iglesias should be ashamed of their contributions to this team.