PDA

View Full Version : You know...

boomersooner2001
10/3/2009, 10:40 PM
It's not that we lost. I can handle losing a hard fought battle between two good teams. But that is not what this was. I put the blame solely on Kevin Wilson and the offensive line. Now I don't mean to go on a rant here, and I will probably get negged but, I must get this off my chest. So I apologize beforehand.

First...
Why do we insist on keeping the same offensive lineman out on the field who consistently keep getting penalties, i.e. Jarvis Jones, Corey Brandon. It is hard for me to believe that at the University of Oklahoma, there is not another lineman that can at least be a speed bump and slow the defense down. Hell, tonight OUr line was getting killed around the end, and up the middle at times as well. Last time I checked there was a bench on the sideline for a reason other than letting players rest. USE IT!!!! If the penalties continue, find a freshman and put him in. At least he can get some experience, and if that said freshman commits penalties, then we are still ahead of the game.

Second....
Why oh why, do I get the feeling that we just played BYU again? Probably because of the horrid play calling from KW. It's time for him to find a new job title. Maybe he can be put in charge of checking the air pressure in the footballs. My god, why does he insist on NOT throwing the ball down field? AND where in the hell did the play action go? Just because Gresham is hurt, DOES NOT MEAN we are in capable of making the play action work. AND to call a draw on 3rd and 9 behind OUr 20 yard line is just utterly pathetic.

Ok, I'm almost done now. Like I said to lose a hard fought ball game, I can handle. BUT as was BYU, KW cost us this one to. The defense played well enough to win, but KW never took a shot down field, or behind the first down marker for that matter after midway thru the 2nd quarter.

It's gonna be a long, long road thru the conference schedule.

landrun
10/3/2009, 11:58 PM
All this bashing of kw is a waste of energy.

This guy just ran the most prolific offense in ncaa history last year. He's not going anywhere.

Now, you can bash BV all you want. I wish he'd find a way to come up with a stop at the end of a game when we need it. When was the last time that happened? A defensive stop at the end of the game with the game on the line?

kc sooner
10/4/2009, 12:05 AM
I agree with both posts - but I blame the person in charge of it all. Not saying I want to get rid of Stoops, but he sees what's going on and if he doesn't like it he can change it! I feel we just play very conservative on the road or neutral sites against good teams - and when is the last time we beat a good team in a close game not at home? Is it Stoops wanting to be conservative or is it KW? I don't know - I think he's scared and just tries not to lose the game sometimes but we lost anyway so we should have been more aggressive

itsok
10/4/2009, 12:10 AM
All i think he needed to do was to have landry throw down field a little more...the kid has the arm...the first TD pass was a thing of beauty, and a hard throw

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 12:11 AM
Maybe Wilson can be demoted to be the get back coach

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 12:12 AM

This guy just ran the most prolific offense in ncaa history last year. He's not going anywhere.

Now, you can bash BV all you want. I wish he'd find a way to come up with a stop at the end of a game when we need it. When was the last time that happened? A defensive stop at the end of the game with the game on the line?

Against some of the crappiest defenses in the history of college football; we saw what a real defense with good athletes and coaches can do to his high powered offense

oksoonerdave
10/4/2009, 12:14 AM
I believe that KW was so sure that we could run the ball down their throats that we wouldn't have to pass that much.

Well, for most of the time, the O line couldn't open a hole, received too many holding calls and just played crappy. If it weren't for the many ref calls in our favor, it would have been worse.

KW was plain and simple out coached.

VA Sooner
10/4/2009, 12:15 AM
Jones played well just didn't have the personnel around him to take the heat off. He needs some receivers (don't know the status on Broyles yet) and Kenney and Caleb stepped up but it wasn't enough. Miami's defense wanted it more and poured through the o-line time and time again and there was no room for the running backs to run through.

Defense let us down tonight though. Our vaunted defense was supposed to get us through this and I think Beal was the only one out there making a difference. English was no-where, Reynolds was getting beat down by a 7'4" lineman and the secondary was a little porous, showing up to make the hit after the fact.

Good start to the game, but Miami made adjustments. We couldn't contain when everyone and their dog knew what the formula was... don't give Jacory Harris time to pass.

'nuff said... move on to the next game.

primetime43
10/4/2009, 12:19 AM
Imagine if we don't get the phantom roughing the kicker call? We got many calls in our favor tonight. Also am I the only one that thinks we should be getting Calhoun more carries and maybe less carries for Chris Brown? On the bright side Adron Tennell caught a pass tonight. We should have put this game away in the first half. At no point in the 4th did I think we would make the big stop or make the big play on offense.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 12:21 AM
Imagine if we don't get the phantom roughing the kicker call? We got many calls in our favor tonight.
Actually, I thought the calls probably even out. Holds on Brandon and Clapp were IFFY at best.

And a personal foul on Chris Brown? Come on!

They needed to do a better job of swallowing the whistle.

rainiersooner
10/4/2009, 12:24 AM
At no point in the 4th did I think we would make the big stop or make the big play on offense.

^^^ this, sadly.

soonermagic14
10/4/2009, 12:36 AM
It's not as much KW as it is Vulnerables. The defense knows they have to step up and win games this year bc our offense just is not the same as it was last year when we would give up 40 but our offense would put up 60. Why cant we get a stop when we need it? it just doesnt happen anymore. It used to make me sick but tonight for some reason I wasnt as sick...maybe deep down I've gotten used to getting my hopes up and then being let down. At least we knew what to expect at the start of 2005...we knew it was a rebuilding year. This year?......the hits just keep on coming. You need a solid defense who makes the stops when you need them and good luck to win a championship....sorry, we dont have either...or our Heisman, Greshem, Broyles.

boomersooner2001
10/4/2009, 12:43 AM
I believe that KW was so sure that we could run the ball down their throats that we wouldn't have to pass that much.

Well, for most of the time, the O line couldn't open a hole, received too many holding calls and just played crappy. If it weren't for the many ref calls in our favor, it would have been worse.

KW was plain and simple out coached.

This is eerily familiar to posts after the BYU game. When does it stop????

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 02:10 AM
This is eerily familiar to posts after the BYU game. When does it stop????

When we play another Idaho State.

Funky G
10/4/2009, 02:12 AM

The most prolific offense in history ran up a lot of points on 2nd and 3rd tier teams when the game was out of hand in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Curly Bill
10/4/2009, 02:12 AM
After we play Baylor we'll be back to being world beaters again! ;) :rolleyes:

LOL :D

BASSooner
10/4/2009, 02:16 AM

With a heisman winning QB, all-american TE, best OL in the country, multiple QUALITY RBs, and great amount of WRs, I would say that any offensive coordinator could do the same thing with that kind of talent.

OUTromBoNado
10/4/2009, 02:48 AM

Yeah, because of this:

With a heisman winning QB, all-american TE, best OL in the country, multiple QUALITY RBs, and great amount of WRs, I would say that any offensive coordinator could do the same thing with that kind of talent.

I wanted to scream listening to the postgame on the Animal tonight...saying how the fans shouldn't get down on KW or any of the coaching staff. I cannot stand it when someone makes a comparison of the performance of this year's team to last year's team. I hear this in almost college football game at some point.

There is hardly any continuity in college football. Players graduate. They leave early for the pros. They transfer. They drop out of school. We lost basically the entire offense from last year. All but one player on the O-line graduated. All but one WR is gone. Now let's throw in the injuries: Heisman-winning QB is gone...one of the best TEs in school history is gone...that one WR from last year...gone. The only thing we have left from last year's offense is a backup WR, the FB, a backup TE, and a pretty darn good RB corp.

It is ludicrous to compare them to last year's squad. This is not the same team as last year. You can't expect this team to perform the same as last year's with completely different personnel. They can't be coached the same way. You've got to come up with something different.

I blame lack of execution on the players, and there was plenty of that to go around. However, if it's clear that your players are not executing, you need to come up with a different game plan that will allow your team to succeed. That's what separates big time coaches from everyone else. This hasn't happened yet this year.

Then again, it is kind of tough to figure out where all the problems are when you lose the first game and don't get tested for another month.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 02:51 AM
At least we knew what to expect at the start of 2005...we knew it was a rebuilding year. This year?......
Not quite.

We were preseason #5 in 2005, we were going to ride Adrian Peterson all the way to Pasadena. Or so I was told.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 02:58 AM
No loss is ever on one single person, but Wilson really pooped the bed tonight. He crawls into his own butthole at the slightest sign of adversity and our offense suffers for it. Landry is more than good enough to win a game like this for us and Wilson didn't even give him the chance with that craptacular gameplan, and the OL is just bad this year--beyond laughably bad. Even last year we got away with a lot of holding calls and still got a ton of penalties called on us, and that was with a very experienced line. I pretty much expected this kind of game tonight but that doesn't lessen the sting.

Venables also performed about as I guessed. His defenses continually fall victim to the same thing every year, which suggests it's a problem with the coaching and not the players. If you want to beat Oklahoma, protect your QB enough to make Venables come up with some terrible blitzes and watch the middle of the field open up. Every goddamn time.

And for the past few years, any time we've gone up against a team who is capable of going punch-for-punch with us, we just collapse. If we don't have a massive lead at halftime you might as well chalk up a loss for us.

I'll support the Sooners through thick and thin but there needs to be some serious shake-ups on the coaching staff after this season. Schmidt, Patton, Wilson, Venables, and Wright are all expendable, at least in my opinion, which doesn't really count for anything.

josh09
10/4/2009, 03:31 AM
KW had a very subpar night. Unfortunately tonight wasn't a good night to be subpar. I'm not calling for him to be fired or something, just really think about everything he screwed up tonight. Because he made some ****ty decisions. I still think he's a great OC though, so dont get me wrong.

And I doubt it's going to be a tough conference schedule. If we play like we played tonight, then it obviously will, but I doubt we'll do that again. In the BYU game, we had to adjust to not having Sam, and we obviously couldnt do that in a single half. In this game, we had to adjust to a quicker defense, plus not having Broyles.

Hopefully KW has learned from his errors, and if thats true, I see a decent season in front of us, because we definitely have the weapons it takes to be a good team.

I see an 11-3 or maybe 12-2 season in our future. And honestly, if we can get a win in a decent bowl, Ill see this season as a success.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 03:42 AM
Losing Broyles should not have caused Wilson to go into the playcalling shell that he did, and the gameplan was never really there to allow Landry to try and win the game, anyway. He was only asked to not lose it, and he didn't, but the whole team did, especially the coaches.

I keep hoping that Wilson and Venables will learn from their errors but I think it's a lost cause at this point. The same errors have caused us to lose several games in the past few years, and experienced or inexperienced players have made no difference.

11-3 or 12-2 are pretty optimistic at this point in the season. Barring a miracle Texas will murder us and after that we have 4 very losable games: Kansas, Nebraska, Tech, and OSU. Tech and OSU are probably the easiest games out of those 4 judging on how both teams have looked up to this point in the season.

josh09
10/4/2009, 03:47 AM
Kansas, Nebraska, and Tech are nowhere near the team that Miami is. I dont know what OSU team is going to show up, the good or bad one, but the good thing is we have them in Norman. As for Texas, they havent proved anything to me yet. I see weaknesses in their D that Sam can easily exploit. And as for their O, Colt isnt the same as last year for some reason, and their running game is questionable.

IMO all games are winnable the rest of the season, especially with Sam back.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 03:59 AM
It's not necessarily just about how the other teams have looked, but about how we have looked. Unless Wilson and Venables change and are able to adjust (positively) during the game there are still 5 games on the schedule that we could easily lose, regardless of the talent levels of the opponents.

Okie35
10/4/2009, 05:12 AM
KW had a very subpar night. Unfortunately tonight wasn't a good night to be subpar. I'm not calling for him to be fired or something, just really think about everything he screwed up tonight. Because he made some ****ty decisions. I still think he's a great OC though, so dont get me wrong.

And I doubt it's going to be a tough conference schedule. If we play like we played tonight, then it obviously will, but I doubt we'll do that again. In the BYU game, we had to adjust to not having Sam, and we obviously couldnt do that in a single half. In this game, we had to adjust to a quicker defense, plus not having Broyles.

Hopefully KW has learned from his errors, and if thats true, I see a decent season in front of us, because we definitely have the weapons it takes to be a good team.

I see an 11-3 or maybe 12-2 season in our future. And honestly, if we can get a win in a decent bowl, Ill see this season as a success.

If we win the Big 12 and a finally a bowl game (hopefully a BCS) then I'll think it was successful. Gotta lose some to win some.

Okie35
10/4/2009, 05:16 AM
It's not necessarily just about how the other teams have looked, but about how we have looked. Unless Wilson and Venables change and are able to adjust (positively) during the game there are still 5 games on the schedule that we could easily lose, regardless of the talent levels of the opponents.

HAHAHAHA 5?! What games are those? Don't say regardless of talent level because if they have no talent they cant produce. Only potential game I see is Tex-@ss. I think I just laughed mainly because you said EASILY lose.

Okie35
10/4/2009, 05:56 AM
After we play Baylor we'll be back to being world beaters again! ;) :rolleyes:

LOL :D

Funny but you're right. I don't like byes or long lay-offs anymore.

Jack T.
10/4/2009, 06:10 AM

Hopefully. . .but history says he hasn't.

I hope your crystal ball works better than mine. . .because my ball sees ~4 losses, not counting the bowl game.

tulsaoilerfan
10/4/2009, 08:38 AM
Kansas, Nebraska, and Tech are nowhere near the team that Miami is. I dont know what OSU team is going to show up, the good or bad one, but the good thing is we have them in Norman. As for Texas, they havent proved anything to me yet. I see weaknesses in their D that Sam can easily exploit. And as for their O, Colt isnt the same as last year for some reason, and their running game is questionable.

We could have Joe Montana back their at QB and it wouldn't matter a damn bit with Kevin Wilson running the junior high playbook we saw last night; pathetic:mad:

sooner ngintunr
10/4/2009, 09:22 AM
Kansas, Nebraska, and Tech are nowhere near the team that Miami is.

I disagree. Miami still isn't that good IMO.

Nebbish and Tech look like tough road games to me.

fadada1
10/4/2009, 09:31 AM
after an evening to sleep on it, i'm still blaming KW for everything that went wrong on offense AND defense. stoops is fine, venables is fine. wilson has 2 different game plans and 2 binders filled with plays. one binder is for home games and is filled with creativity. the other binder has 4-5 plays on the back of a napkin from his latest stop to the waffle house before playing a game away from owen field.

soonerlaw
10/4/2009, 10:47 AM
Maybe I'm sipping the kool-aid (probably am), but the way I see it, as long as we beat Texas in two weeks, we are okay. That win would accomplish 2 things; (1) knock Texas's national championship hopes for a spin, and (2) make us the frontrunner in the big 12 south. As long as we beat OSU (which is at home, where are are a completely, completely different team), we likely win the Big-12 South and go to the B-12 championship, where we hopefully win and get another visit to the Fiesta Bowl. Lose to Texas, and we can basically start looking forward to the Cotton, Holiday or Alamo.

Needless to say, it is imperative that we beat Texas. Hopefully we can get some guys healthy in the next two weeks, come up with a good gameplan and get the job done.

canes4ever
10/4/2009, 11:42 AM

What are those numbers at the bottom of your posts?...144......

HBick
10/4/2009, 12:32 PM
Wilson needs to go, and Heupel needs the OC job.

Monster Zero
10/4/2009, 12:57 PM
No loss is ever on one single person, but Wilson really pooped the bed tonight. He crawls into his own butthole at the slightest sign of adversity and our offense suffers for it. Landry is more than good enough to win a game like this for us and Wilson didn't even give him the chance with that craptacular gameplan, and the OL is just bad this year--beyond laughably bad. Even last year we got away with a lot of holding calls and still got a ton of penalties called on us, and that was with a very experienced line. I pretty much expected this kind of game tonight but that doesn't lessen the sting.

Venables also performed about as I guessed. His defenses continually fall victim to the same thing every year, which suggests it's a problem with the coaching and not the players. If you want to beat Oklahoma, protect your QB enough to make Venables come up with some terrible blitzes and watch the middle of the field open up. Every goddamn time.

And for the past few years, any time we've gone up against a team who is capable of going punch-for-punch with us, we just collapse. If we don't have a massive lead at halftime you might as well chalk up a loss for us.

I'll support the Sooners through thick and thin but there needs to be some serious shake-ups on the coaching staff after this season. Schmidt, Patton, Wilson, Venables, and Wright are all expendable, at least in my opinion, which doesn't really count for anything.

That's exactly what I was going to say but you said it first.

What you said.

westbrooke
10/4/2009, 01:14 PM
At no point in the 4th did I think we would make the big stop or make the big play on offense.

Exactly. And more importantly, neither did Miami. And neither will Texas. Why should they? We play fetal-position football when we get hit in the mouth.

HAHAHAHA 5?! What games are those? Don't say regardless of talent level because if they have no talent they cant produce. Only potential game I see is Tex-@ss. I think I just laughed mainly because you said EASILY lose.

I'll back up silver on this one. And I think "easily" is appropriate because right now the difference between us winning and losing a game is pretty simple: can the OL show up? The only teams we've faced with good (not even great, merely good) athletes up front have completely laid waste to our offensive plans.

Maybe that gets fixed as the season goes on, and if so, we can still hang with anybody. But the painful similarities between last night's game and the one against BYU leave me feeling that's less than certain. Without some OL cohesion, I don't think pointing out 5 more losses is a stretch. Texas, OSU, Nebraska, Tech, and Kansas. Those are 5 teams that - through some combination of offensive firepower, hostile game conditions, and strong defensive line play - can put together a win against the team I saw playing Miami last night.

OUmillenium
10/4/2009, 01:24 PM
Imagine if we don't get the phantom roughing the kicker call? We got many calls in our favor tonight. Also am I the only one that thinks we should be getting Calhoun more carries and maybe less carries for Chris Brown? On the bright side Adron Tennell caught a pass tonight. We should have put this game away in the first half. At no point in the 4th did I think we would make the big stop or make the big play on offense.

This is what I really don't like. Our in game adjustments are terrible or do not occur. Texas, Florida, and all the other equally talented teams really get after us in the 2nd half. I can't just continually fault players for that, and I never have. That's coaching (or lack of it) that is causing this pattern.

OUmillenium
10/4/2009, 01:35 PM
Once again, we had 2 weeks to gameplan on offense and defense. Wow

sooner ngintunr
10/4/2009, 01:39 PM
And their RB still averaged over 10 yds/carry.

KW didn't have anything to with that.

We are just barely a top 25 team right now. I just hope things will change, because we still have to play two teams (not at home) with more talent than BYU and Miami.

ashley
10/4/2009, 01:47 PM
Wilson needs to go, and Heupel needs the OC job.

Could you please explain why Heupel should be the OC. Is it because he was a good player? If that is the reason I would rather have Sam Bradford. Could it be that he knows what wilson has taught him?

josh09
10/4/2009, 02:08 PM
What are those numbers at the bottom of your posts?...144......

I need to update them, but 144 was how many All-Americans we had prior to the selection from last season. All the other numbers are stats like that too.

josh09
10/4/2009, 02:10 PM
Hopefully. . .but history says he hasn't.

I hope your crystal ball works better than mine. . .because my ball sees ~4 losses, not counting the bowl game.

4 losses is the 2005 team, and we're not THAT bad. I'm not saying its not a possibility, because it definitely is, but we've gotta win at least one close one.

silverwheels
10/4/2009, 03:25 PM

Okay, look at who we've beaten and who we've lost to in our first 4 games. Easily just means we could lose to those teams and I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not making those teams the favorites, though.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 06:29 PM
4 losses is the 2005 team, and we're not THAT bad. I'm not saying its not a possibility, because it definitely is, but we've gotta win at least one close one.
We play the exact same conference schedule as 2005, so we will find out.

MichiganSooner
10/4/2009, 07:43 PM
I seem to remember some balls thrown downfield and they were overthrown.