PDA

View Full Version : Game Review

CK Sooner
10/3/2009, 10:35 PM
We are never going to be where we want to be as long as Kevin Wilson is our offensive coordinater.

Blitzing every time on 3rd down gets really old.

Not letting Landry air it out is stupid, AKA Kevin Wilson.

Cory Brandon is our worst lineman.

Rant over.

Petro-Sooner
10/3/2009, 10:37 PM
Chuck Long.....

illinisooner
10/3/2009, 10:39 PM
Playcalling was awful (both sides of the ball) and the D didn't step up when it mattered. That is all. You'll notice this same formula applied to the BYU loss and Florida loss.

kingsby
10/3/2009, 10:41 PM
KW was bad , but again the defense can not get off the field. year after year, the problem is BV.

We will never be where we want to be as long as BV is getting punked,

fadada1
10/3/2009, 10:48 PM
the problem is NOT venables. wilson's lack of a sack puts our defense in a position to be overly aggressive. we should have been up 24-0 in the first half. for that, i blame wilson. 3 running plays in a row when you need a touchdown is NOT venable's fault.

Soonerus
10/3/2009, 10:51 PM
Wilson was in charge of one the best offenses of all-time last year...give him a break, his playmakers are all getting injured...

Sooner Eclipse
10/3/2009, 10:51 PM
random thoughts.....

We suck at fundementals - if we cant out talent a team we lose. Example:
tackles - consistently 2 defensive players hit the ball carrier at the LOS or a yd or so behind it and he carries 2 or 3 players consistently for a 2-3 yd gain.
We seem to have similar issues blocking. Poor technique....alot of poor technique...

Our coordinators are arrogant. They dont out scheme anyone. Example: play the game winning 3rd down straight up. Don't assume run. Only our offensive staff would have actually run on that down. We don't put ourselves in position to win close games. Our arrogance puts us in position to lose them.

tulsaoilerfan
10/3/2009, 10:53 PM
Wilson was in charge of one the best offenses of all-time last year...give him a break, his playmakers are all getting injured...

Wilson can't call plays to save his ***; quit making excuses for him

Sooner Eclipse
10/3/2009, 10:55 PM
oh, 1 more.

what hte hell is a Golden Tate.. NDs player of the game is Golden Tate. I thought Tebow was the golden taint.

CK Sooner
10/3/2009, 10:56 PM

Calling runs and SHORT passes on 3rd and long gets olddd....

tulsaoilerfan
10/3/2009, 10:56 PM
Playcalling was awful (both sides of the ball) and the D didn't step up when it mattered. That is all. You'll notice this same formula applied to the BYU loss and Florida loss.

That's 3 losses in a row that can be placed mostly at the feet of Kevin Wilson and his inability to do anything remotely different

Sooner98
10/3/2009, 10:59 PM
Down by 4 on our last offensive possession...

1st and 10...I-formation, w/ predictable run up the middle for two yard loss.

2nd and 12...I-formation, w/ predictable run up the middle for no gain. :confused:

3rd and 12...swing out pass for short gain. Seriously, WTF???

How about mixing in a play action, or just do what you are SUPPOSED to do on 2nd and long, and the game on the line: throw the damn ball!

nBoSTP
10/3/2009, 11:00 PM
A couple of things I noticed.

1. Why did we have such a problem bringing down the RB's behind the line of scrimmage? There was at least 3 or 4 plays where Miami RB's were able to manage positive yards despite being hit 3 or 4 yards behind the line.

2. Corey Brandon should never see the field again.

3. This team needs to learn how to win a close game again. Anymore either Oklahoma blows the other team out or they lose a close game. It is getting to be quite frustrating knowing and waiting for the new way Oklahoma is going to lose every close game they are in.

4. Brent Venables should try a zone pass defense on 3rd and longs once in a while.

Pricetag
10/3/2009, 11:00 PM
Our coordinators are arrogant. They dont out scheme anyone. Example: play the game winning 3rd down straight up. Don't assume run. Only our offensive staff would have actually run on that down. We don't put ourselves in position to win close games. Our arrogance puts us in position to lose them.
This right here is a great point.

IronHorseSooner
10/3/2009, 11:01 PM
It is easy to light up the A&Ms, OSUs and Techs of the world, but when a team that has the players to compete with you shows, we fall flat on our faces. I agree, it smacks of arrogance.

Petro-Sooner
10/3/2009, 11:02 PM
CSU is up on Idaho.

IronSooner
10/3/2009, 11:08 PM
What got me most of all was that I expected us to lose when we were only down 4 with 8:50 to go in the game. Most teams I watch, I think man, all they need is 1 TD and a good stop or two. But watching us, I just didn't think we'd score another TD. And we didn't. Thanks KW for destroying my faith in our O to score a touchdown on the #17 ranked team in the country. Can't wait to see the UT game

Uncle Sooner Bob
10/3/2009, 11:12 PM
We can complain about all aspects of the team, but the truth is, the D is solid, (21 points ain't bad), calls were pretty questionable, and I hate all the stupid O-line penalties, but all that said the absolute weakest link on the team is without question the receivers. That affects the whole offense. If the coaches don't trust them then the offense will be anemic. Think about it, that puts a lot of pressure on the D to keep the score in the teens. Now Broyles gets hurt on the 1st series and we can throw the ball further than 10 yards (if that). So IMHO the starts and finishes with the receivers. They suck.

IronSooner
10/3/2009, 11:15 PM

1. Why did we have such a problem bringing down the RB's behind the line of scrimmage? There was at least 3 or 4 plays where Miami RB's were able to manage positive yards despite being hit 3 or 4 yards behind the line.

2. Corey Brandon should never see the field again.

3. This team needs to learn how to win a close game again. Anymore either Oklahoma blows the other team out or they lose a close game. It is getting to be quite frustrating knowing and waiting for the new way Oklahoma is going to lose every close game they are in.

4. Brent Venables should try a zone pass defense on 3rd and longs once in a while.

1. Because we play D like brandon everage. Hit, but don't wrap up. No fundamentals on our tackling. We also have little to no attitude. We don't hit you and then go after your credit anymore. We just hit you and hope you fall down.

2. Agreed. Brandon needs to be in the stands. I we have to play a man short on the OL, fine. At least that non-existent man won't cause us to go backward.

3. Bobby Jack Wright's secondary coaching and our insistence on playing slow injury-hobbled LB's precludes us from preventing game-winning TD drives. Pass for 6-10 yards on us all you like. We certainly won't stop you. We prevent runs-after-catch. We don't prevent catches. Kevin Wilson goes into a BigTen-inspired shell in every single big game he coaches. Hence two runs and a swing pass when you should be throwing late in the game when you're behind.

4. All we run is zone. Cover 2, cover 2, cover 2. Opposing QB's know where our guys will be before the ball is snapped. Every time. We cover the zone, not the players who run into and out of the zones. We will never run a cover 3 or man, and we will not bump at the line. Sit back, play cover 2, let the guy catch it, tackle him once he does. That's our pass D philosophy. Think about that, then go watch any game in the past several years.

StoopTroup
10/3/2009, 11:31 PM
Sam finishing the bYu game and playing tonight....

We'd be 4-0.

Blame anyone you want...but our Team is banged up big time.

Call for a Coaches head if you want....if you think it helps.

I'll see some of you at the Baylor Massacre.

Go Sooners!

oksoonerdave
10/3/2009, 11:32 PM
It appears IMO that KW lacked the confidence in Landry and only allowed him to use conservative plays. The D did not play as well as they could as our offensive struggles was keeping them on the field far too much of the game. The offense showed some signs of life at times but KW's conservative calls stalled many of the offensive plays. The O line is far from adequate and I just do not see where they will improve much before the saxet game.

O Backs = C
O Line = D
Defense = B (even tho they had a couple of blown coverages)

tulsaoilerfan
10/3/2009, 11:35 PM

We'd be 4-0.

Go Sooners!

Just excuses ST; we are sounding like Mack Brown did a few years back; remember when we used to own teams that were ranked? Not any more

kc sooner
10/3/2009, 11:38 PM
Out of all the things I disagree with in the coaching, what about the end of the 1st half it seems we did not try to score, and the drive we got the Field Goal at the end - the first and 2nd down handoff and then swing pass on 3rd and long - and the fact that Stoops and they all say we won't change the offense with Landry in there and that was a lie because it's obvious they did. And someone mentioned it - anymore we can't beat a good team on the road in a close game

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2009, 11:41 PM
Thank-you, ST. Our O is in total rebuilding mode right now and it's going to be a season long process. OU is not an elite team, so if that's the only reason you guys follow them, better tune out until next season. ST is correct - if Sam is playing we're 4-0, but we still would not be elite. The O-line is just not good enough for that (at least not now).

CK Sooner
10/3/2009, 11:41 PM
I can only imagine what is going on in Landry's mind when he gets the call from Kevin Wilson for the delayed draw.

What the **** is the dip**** thinking

I mean seriously if I were Landry I would be like "**** You" and audible out of it.

tulsaoilerfan
10/3/2009, 11:42 PM
The delay draw worked 1 time tonight, yet Wilson kept coming back to it; does he not realize that a slowly designed play doesn't work against a fast *** defense?

oksoonerdave
10/3/2009, 11:48 PM
Many of the O line's problems are related to their being new and lack of playing time. However, one thing that stood out over all the other woes was the right side of the line was totally whipped resulting in many holding calls.

rawlingsHOH
10/3/2009, 11:58 PM

Good point. I noticed a lot of potential 2nd-and-13s turned into 2nd-and-8s.

Makes a huge difference. I guess credit their RBs. Good players.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 12:00 AM
All we run is zone. Cover 2, cover 2, cover 2. Opposing QB's know where our guys will be before the ball is snapped. Every time. We cover the zone, not the players who run into and out of the zones. We will never run a cover 3 or man, and we will not bump at the line. Sit back, play cover 2, let the guy catch it, tackle him once he does. That's our pass D philosophy. Think about that, then go watch any game in the past several years.

That is TOTALLY inaccurate.

I'll rewatch Miami later, but against Tulsa we were about 80% Cover-3, usually "Cloud".

Mjcpr
10/4/2009, 12:08 AM
That is TOTALLY inaccurate.

I'll rewatch Miami later, but against Tulsa we were about 80% Cover-3, usually "Cloud".

If by that you mean puffy and soft, then I think we played a lot of it tonight too.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 12:17 AM
If by that you mean puffy and soft, then I think we played a lot of it tonight too.
No, I mean "cloud" as in the field corner rolled up with safety help over the top of him. We use this frequently against spread teams.

Mjcpr
10/4/2009, 12:27 AM
No, I mean "cloud" as in the field corner rolled up with safety help over the top of him. We use this frequently against spread teams.

Oh sorry, I thought you literally meant puffy and soft.

VA Sooner
10/4/2009, 12:34 AM
We became one-dimensional in our offense. We lost Broyles in the first half and had to go to Kenney and Caleb, who are decent, but either couldn't get open or the Miami pass rush got to Landry.

I thought Landry had a decent game and could feel the pressure but only bailed out a couple of times.

Pivotal point is the Landry fumble forced by an unblocked pass rusher. Game changed then. OU caught up though but couldn't take the next step by stopping Harris. Fooled by a 3rd and 6 pass to end the game.

We don't do well in the close games... something I don't do well in as well (my heart stops and goes every play)... but something we need to learn to grind out.

Soonerus
10/4/2009, 12:38 AM
I thought Landry played a very good game.....

soonermix
10/4/2009, 12:47 AM
once broyles went out kevin wilson shoved a stick up his *** curled up in the fetal position and shreded the play book. what resulted is the next person in the room ( i think it was the 4th string play clock watcher) only had half a ppage worth of plays and was calling them down to the field. how else do you explain what happened.

MALE918
10/4/2009, 12:48 AM
teams take on the personality of their leaders/coaches. we are like a bully of little substance. beat up on the little guy and pad your record but pop when someone hits you in the nose.
we have been changing the players and still have this same old story with a different verse.
other teams face injuries, other teams face losing 2-3 o-linemen (2-3 of the guys on the o-line rotation played meaningful minutes last year) or top receivers. to use these as excuses is just that - losers make excuses, winners move on.
we are living on name recognition and have been for a while. anytime we play TRUE top ten talent we lose. sorry but just because you are ranked there doesn't mean you belong there.
the true big dogs for the last few years have been florida, alabama, usc, west virginia, texas and lsu with a couple short lived teams sprinkled in there from year to year. we are not among them. this is below OU standards. do i expect to beat all of these teams every year. i hope to but to expect it is ridiculous but is 5-1, 4-2. 3-3, or 2-4 ridiculous. we have lose to all of these teams except alabama and i do not feel comfortable against them.

i too am proud of landry, i also thought kenney played well tonight.

westbrooke
10/4/2009, 01:01 AM
I think Iron hit it dead on. This felt like the BYU game in so many ways.

Our defense played well enough to win (last year) but their breakdowns were galling. I love Reynolds for the same reason I love Jason White. The man has given OU two of his knees. But he's a liability in pass coverage. He can't move laterally or quickly enough in pass coverage to help us. And Franks is playing like it's his freshman year. I don't know what he thought was going on when Miami scored their second TD, but it wasn't remotely close to reality.

I have no idea why our offense tightened up into a "run twice, pass once, punt" ball after we were moving the ball so well at the beginning of the game. Broyles goes out? That sucks, it really does, but Kenney was playing well, Caleb was catching the ball. Even Adron, and I've been all over him for his drops, caught the damn ball when it was thrown to him. Where did our bravado go?

The single biggest disappointment was the Oline. We couldn't block to save our running game, and we couldn't protect Landry to find his receivers. If they can't improve, this is a team that will lose to Texas, lose to OSU, probably lose on the road to Nebraska, and likely drop another game we shouldn't in the schedule.

This is so demoralizing. I don't blame any one coach, I blame them all. I started thinking about it, and I have to go back to the Big 12 championship in 2003 against KSU. When we get punched in the mouth, we lie down and die. What happened to the team that relished hitting back? We've won big games since then, but only when we jump on them early, like #1 Missouri in 2007. I distinctly remember Corso talking about our match up with FSU in 2000. He said FSU knows they will win, OU hopes they will win. He was wrong then. But that statement has been pretty accurate for the last 6 years. And Corso should never be right. Man up, Sooners.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 01:03 AM
And Franks is playing like it's his freshman year. I don't know what he thought was going on when Miami scored their second TD, but it wasn't remotely close to reality.

The way he released the receiver, tends to give me the impression it wasn't his responsibility.

Mjcpr
10/4/2009, 01:06 AM
The way he released the receiver, tends to give me the impression it wasn't his responsibility.

And he's been in this defense how many years? We have busted coverage ALL THE DAMN TIME. Maybe somebody should coach different....or maybe somebody different should coach.

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 01:12 AM

We'd be 4-0.

Go Sooners!

Oh yeah. I remember us lighting BYU up with Sam in there.:D

westbrooke
10/4/2009, 01:16 AM

Yeah, that's the thing, he releases as if he thought there was someone else to cover out there. There wasn't. And his safety was blitzing. So doesn't that mean the deep route is his responsibility?

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 01:21 AM
Yeah, that's the thing, he releases as if he thought there was someone else to cover out there. There wasn't. And his safety was blitzing. So doesn't that mean the deep route is his responsibility?
I'd have to go back and look to have a better guess, but I'm not looking forward to it.

JLEW1818
10/4/2009, 01:23 AM
We are missing a tight end. That is it. We win both if we have Jermaine

VA Sooner
10/4/2009, 01:28 AM
We need a reliable tight end who can block AND catch.

ocsooner
10/4/2009, 01:29 AM
We are missing a tight end. That is it. We win both if we have Jermaine

Really, we are missing someone who can catch the ball more than once in a row be it a tight end or SOMEONE!! Get some guys out there with magnetic hands, and the last 4 games (yes, even the one with 6 touchdowns) are a lot different. If you have a passing game, KW has something to work with and doesn't to the run, run, pass, punt all the time.

SoonerKnight
10/4/2009, 01:31 AM

3rd and 9 and he runs a delayed draw to minus yards. Yes, I'll give him a break when he gets a brain.

SPuL
10/4/2009, 01:32 AM
reading this thread just makes me wanna down some more alcohol for the rest of the night. goddamn them canes! :mad:

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 01:36 AM
3rd and 9 and he runs a delayed draw to minus yards. Yes, I'll give him a break when he gets a brain.

heh.:)

SPuL
10/4/2009, 01:39 AM
Was I the only one who thought that that ALMOST pick 6 by Brian Jackson (or dominique franks) in the 4th was our last realistic chance to win the game?

Someone else said it, but WOW, at how this recent play-calling in close games has made me have absolutely NO faith in this offense in those games. ****ing pathetic.

OUTrumpet
10/4/2009, 01:43 AM
In regards to Brent Venables:

We gave up 7 points on what, a 12 yard field? And gave up another 7 when 2 players clearly weren't doing their assignment? That's 14 points that shouldn't have happened.

Do I think we should have not over-pursued and set ourselves up on that last play-action? Yes. Do I think we should have told our defense that if they get behind us to let them score? Yes. At least that way we're down by 8 with 2 minutes to go and at least have a shot with the offense.

In regards to Kevin Wilson:

Do I think we needed play-action? Yes. Do I think we had a credible running threat to keep Landry Jones from getting jacked on the delayed drop? The protection? No.

We have 4 new linemen, a new qb, new tight end, and new receivers. We have a brand spankin new offense. Do I think we can handle getting behind the chains? H*** no. We can't move the ball that well. So we take the Jim Tressell approach and play conservative as possible, try to protect the ball, and when in doubt play field position and rely on your defense that's ranked in the top of the country.

This one wasn't on Wilson. Or Venables. It was more on Patton for allowing undisciplined players to remain on the field. For those players not being disciplined in the first place. The penalties need to stop.

Piware
10/4/2009, 02:06 AM
I'm not an expert but have a few observations to offer:

DEFENSE - They had a gigantic load on their shoulders tonight and for the most part performed pretty well. They were on the field far too long in the heat and humidity and it just saps you after a while. The offense, IMHO, just wasn't holding up their end of the deal.

OFFENSE: My perception is that it was less execution than play selection. It seemed like when we went to the hurry up offense, Miami got all wierd and couldn't respond fast enough defensively. Unfortunately, we quit on that! Broyles going out hurt just sucked but there are receivers behind him - do they ever get a snap in practice?

Summary: The pups got some practice in a high-pressure situation and hopefully will learn you have to wrap up the ball carrier, you can't drop passes or fumble and when we are missing a key player(s) someone has to step up and be a star and a belly play on 3rd and 12 straight into the teeth of a blitz is probably not a good idea.

My fondest wish is that Sammy and Germaine would get medical redshirts and we take another run at Old No. 8 next year. The new kids will have some experience and perhaps someone will steal Kevin's play book and shred it. I know it probably won't happen but it's my wish and I would gladly relinquish birthday cake, Christmas and a boring New Year's Eve party to get it.

They're still our Sooners and we will love them win, lose, or draw! BOOMER!

Curly Bill
10/4/2009, 02:08 AM
Jermaine is going to the NFL.

No medical redshirt for him.

Funky G
10/4/2009, 02:16 AM

We'd be 4-0.

Go Sooners!
16-14 since USC game away from Norman. That's about as banged up as you can get in five years...

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 02:23 AM
[QUOTE=Funky G;2724564]16-14 since USC game away from Norman. That's about as banged up as you can get in five years...[/QUOTEI

In usc's last 13 road games against ranked teams they are 12-1.
In texas last 16 games outside the state of texas they are 15-1.
Us? Not so good.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 02:42 AM
We have 4 new linemen
Brian Simmons played just as much as Duke and Walker, last year.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 02:43 AM
Jermaine is going to the NFL.

No medical redshirt for him.

Wouldn't need a "medical" anyway. He hasn't played this year.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 02:45 AM
In texas last 16 games outside the state of texas they are 15-1.
Us? Not so good.
Not really applicable since the OU/Texas game is played in the state of Texas every year.

They also play 80% of their games, overall, in the state of Texas.

Regardless, they have been excellent in bowl games, albeit against lesser talent than OU has faced (losing 3 NC games will do that).

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 02:47 AM
Not really applicable since the OU/Texas game is played in the state of Texas every year.

They also play 80% of their games, overall, in the state of Texas.

Regardless, they have been excellent in bowl games, albeit against lesser talent than OU has faced (losing 3 NC games will do that).

They still have a much better road winning pct. than we do.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 02:47 AM
16-14 since USC game away from Norman. That's about as banged up as you can get in five years...
The 3 toughest games every year are always played outside the state (Texas, Big 12, and Bowl), so what would you expect? Granted the recent Bowl record is atrocious.

En_Fuego
10/4/2009, 02:49 AM
Thank-you, ST. Our O is in total rebuilding mode right now and it's going to be a season long process. OU is not an elite team, so if that's the only reason you guys follow them, better tune out until next season. ST is correct - if Sam is playing we're 4-0, but we still would not be elite. The O-line is just not good enough for that (at least not now).

We would be 4-0 without Bradford only if we were without KW

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2009, 02:50 AM
We would be 4-0 without Bradford only if we were without KW

I agree.