PDA

View Full Version : I have a concern with OU right now...

Soonerus
10/2/2009, 01:03 AM
...and it revolves around their punt formation...the wide gaps at center are almost suicidal,IMO, even Tulsa partially blocked one punt...Why are we doing this ???

Crucifax Autumn
10/2/2009, 02:11 AM
Dunno, but I agree. Maybe it plays into some trickery down the road.

stoopified
10/2/2009, 04:52 AM
Dunno, but I agree. Maybe it plays into some trickery down the road.

I dunno either BUT I do know Bob and staff are awre of it.I figure they are doing this for some reason,whatever it is.

MeMyself&Me
10/2/2009, 05:24 AM
I've noticed this. Also noticed that Way seems really slow at getting the punt off. I wonder if widening the gap is intended to get the speedy defensive ends farther from the punter. I'm not crazy about either though... seems like it would be better to just get Way to punt quicker.

JLEW1818
10/2/2009, 06:41 AM
dunno but I'm still drunk

TXBOOMER
10/2/2009, 07:06 AM
Slow motion punting don't help.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2009, 08:39 AM
Maybe the blocking is supposed to give the punter more time and thus allowing the cover guys more time to get down field. (I'm reachin' here).

westbrooke
10/2/2009, 10:01 AM
I've never been a fan of this formation, and I was disappointed to see us go to this strategy. I'm not even sure I understand the theory behind taking defenders off the line and creating a second line halfway back. Seems like we're just giving some unblocked defenders a nice running start at the punter or to shove that second line back into the punter. Does anyone know the theory behind this formation? (And yes, I've noticed that Way seems to take his sweet time getting the kick off. We need to light a fire under that boy's ***.)

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2009, 10:03 AM
If I remember correctly, the season before going with this formation, there was some problems with protecting the punter and they switched to this..

Sonner magic923
10/2/2009, 10:20 AM
im not a big fan of this either but then again im not a big fan of punting at all:D

Collier11
10/2/2009, 10:35 AM
...and it revolves around their punt formation...the wide gaps at center are almost suicidal,IMO, even Tulsa partially blocked one punt...Why are we doing this ???

If you listen to Stoops it wasnt the formation that almost got that particular punt partially blocked, it was cus a guy whiffed on a block

HolaKyle
10/2/2009, 11:06 AM
I'm fine with Way taking as much time as possible, as long as it doesn't get blocked. It gives more time for the gunners to make it down to the return man. I don't remember anybody hurting so far this year in the punt return game, but I know we have been hurting other teams.

1890MilesToNorman
10/2/2009, 11:10 AM
I guess the only solution is to never have to punt again this year, I'm all for that. :D

JohnnyMack
10/2/2009, 11:20 AM
Rus why don't you inform your super-secret inside source about it instead of us?

setem
10/2/2009, 11:24 AM
That formation is called the Shield and I have never ever liked it. When you play against teams that thrive on Beamer ball it is going to get blocked. Just like HK said it lets the gunners get down field to cover better but you sacrifice the safety of more blockers. Then again if everyone does their job nothing should go wrong. I always get antsy when we punt because of that formation.

IslandSooner
10/2/2009, 11:37 AM
It seems alot of teams are using this formation now.

SoonerAtKU
10/2/2009, 01:59 PM
It seems like it's a question of angles. The closer you get to the kicker, the narrower the angle an attacker has to take to get there. Therefore, you can block more people with less blockers. It also gives you a second line of defense in case someone misses an assignment up front. In a standard max-protect punt formation, if one person whiffs, that's a blocked kick. With this one, you'd usually have to have 2 people miss for that to happen.

KantoSooner
10/2/2009, 02:19 PM
start scouting rugby players and others who can kick most any type of ball 40 yards or so with a one step or no step wind up and call it a day.

Sooner Stew
10/2/2009, 03:31 PM
I have a concern also...

The Sooners are going back to Miami to Landshark Stadium. Does anyone think this may have a negative impact on the team to have lost the National Championship on this same field only ten short months ago? IMO I think it could affect how they come out in the beginning of the game. What are your thoughts?

TXBOOMER
10/2/2009, 05:30 PM
I have a concern also...

The Sooners are going back to Miami to Landshark Stadium. Does anyone think this may have a negative impact on the team to have lost the National Championship on this same field only ten short months ago? IMO I think it could affect how they come out in the beginning of the game. What are your thoughts?

What? Uhh...the Gators won't be there.

BOOMERBRADLEY
10/2/2009, 05:53 PM
I haven't punted in an NCAA video game in around 5 years

chad
10/3/2009, 07:37 PM
This deserves a bump after that close call on our first punt of the game.

3 guys went in untouched and nearly got the ball.

Time to rethink your punting strategies Bob.

rawlingsHOH
10/4/2009, 03:05 AM
Tress Way gets a game ball.

josh09
10/4/2009, 03:43 AM
I have a concern with OU right now too, and it concerns the whole "having the same amount of wins as losses" thing. I have the belief that this should only occur before the first game of the season.