PDA

View Full Version : Mama said knock you out! (TRRW)

Salt City Sooner
10/2/2009, 12:51 AM
The Cincinnati Bengals defense hasn’t had an enforcer in its secondary since David Fulcher wore the tiger stripes. But that all changed when safety Roy Williams joined the club. Three games into the season, Williams is making his presence felt on defense.

Not only is the hard-hitting safety knocking people out this season, but is proving to be no has-been, which some had suggested. There are those who view this season as a comeback year for Williams after missing 13 games in 2008.

Early on, Williams is looking every bit of the five-time Pro Bowl selection he once was in 2003 through 2007, and racking up the punishing hits.

In Week 1 against Denver, Williams welcomed Broncos rookie running back Knowshon Moreno into the league by knocking him silly. Moreno staggered off the field in a daze and spent most of the third quarter on the sideline after the hit.

The following week against Green Bay, Williams laid a wicked shot on Packers’ tight end Donald Lee, who was left sprawled over the field and experienced some numbness in his arms. Williams hit Lee so hard the rest of his family may have felt it.

“Mama Said Knock You Out!”

Against Pittsburgh on Sunday, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger got a little taste of the safety’s hitting ability while trying to make a tackle after throwing an interception. Granted, Roethlisberger didn’t get rocked like Moreno and Lee, but he didn’t enjoy the contact.

The Bengals acquired Williams in the offseason to improve the team’s defense and so far he’s living up to expectations. In fact, Williams’ seek-and-destroy mentality fuels the defense. He leads the team in tackles with 23 and is ranked in the Top 30 among players in that category. All the talk about the player’s ability to pass-cover seems to be an after thought. Williams brings veteran leadership and a winning attitude to the locker room.

Williams said after the game on Sunday that the defense is still learning, but is coming together quickly. He also said that he expects big things from the unit down the road.

The Bengals defense is on the rise in the NFL and currently ranked 16th overall.

Side note: Williams was limited in practice on Wednesday due to a sore forearm but is expected to be ready for Sunday’s game.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/big_c_nfl_blitz/index.html

DarrellZero
10/2/2009, 12:59 AM
I'm glad Roy wound up somewhere he's appreciated.

SCOUT
10/2/2009, 01:09 AM
That is great to hear. He had his troubles in Dallas but he had his share of success too. Unfortunately, the latter only stays in the Cowboy fan's mind for about two weeks.

Crucifax Autumn
10/2/2009, 02:08 AM
He's got more than a few years left in him if they use him right and play with his strengths instead of trying to shove him into a system where he doesn't fit. Defenses should be built around him, not the other way around.

Fraggle145
10/2/2009, 02:21 AM
vids?

sooner59
10/2/2009, 02:36 AM
Roy is my boy! I have been a RW fan since his breakout in 2000. The dude is a beast.

My favorite quote from Musberger on my NC DVD from 2000:

"And its....ROY WILLIAMS....who recovers the fumble caused by Calmus!"

I think we all know what happened shortly after...

stoopified
10/2/2009, 05:14 AM
No surprise here(at least to me).Backweh the press and Cowboy fans were down on Roy I said he would be back BIGGER AND BADDER than ever.If he stays healthy I expect Pro Bowl #6.

badger
10/2/2009, 07:17 AM
Mama Mia, why did you tell Roy to hit people? ;)

primetime43
10/2/2009, 07:34 AM
I always thought he got overlooked from all the other great safeties. I'm so glad he is finally back to the old Roy. He is the hardest hitter since Ronnie Lott IMHO.

Boomer Mooner
10/2/2009, 07:44 AM
"Williams hit Lee so hard the rest of his family may have felt it.":D

OU4LIFE
10/2/2009, 07:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xSRSwEm-9Q

SoonersEnFuego
10/2/2009, 08:11 AM
r7ln8-tjOI8

Spray
10/2/2009, 08:14 AM
A little longer vid of the Moreno hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDRNf3Z4MyA&feature=related

badger
10/2/2009, 08:21 AM
It's a cruel introduction to the NFL from college, but I'm sure a lot of veterans love hitting rookies with big first-year contracts to kind of let them know that there will be no silly vaulting over mid-majors or whatever done in the pros.

Not that I endorse violence or anything, but Dusty Dvoracek put a severe late hit on a QB in preseason. Much like TRRW, he's probably just been dying to put a huge defensive hit on someone after some frustrating lately.

Boomer.....
10/2/2009, 08:24 AM
Great to see him returning to his old form.

My Opinion Matters
10/2/2009, 08:35 AM
Roy is my boy! I have been a RW fan since his breakout in 2000. The dude is a beast.

My favorite quote from Musberger on my NC DVD from 2000:

"And its....ROY WILLIAMS....who recovers the fumble caused by Calmus!"

I think we all know what happened shortly after...

Brad Nessler called that game.

rawlingsHOH
10/2/2009, 08:41 AM
I've watched 2 of his 3 games, he's looked outstanding.

SoonersEnFuego
10/2/2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, this is a better look at it.

UDRNf3Z4MyA

goingoneight
10/2/2009, 12:56 PM
When my team claimed T.O. and TRRW were their problems, they "cut their losses."

Cincinnati and Buffalo got better. At least at WR and SS. I don't see fake Roy doing shat and let's not even discuss Dallas's secondary that let a bunch of scout team WRs and Eli Manning tear them up.

cheezyq
10/2/2009, 02:52 PM
He's got more than a few years left in him if they use him right and play with his strengths instead of trying to shove him into a system where he doesn't fit. Defenses should be built around him, not the other way around.

This, really, is how a team SHOULD be built. I find it's true in all jobs, really. Coaches and managers spend so much time trying to fix a player's/employee's weaknesses, they end up ignoring the things that made that player/employee so special in the first place.

That's the problem with what happened in Dallas, I think. They tried to line him up on a receiver in coverage, when his football instincts are trained from little league to find the ball as a safety and go after it, even if he has to kill a receiver or runner in the process.

Cincinnati lets him get back to what he does best and guess what? He's not only back to playing at a pro bowl level, he's inspiring the entire defense with his play...just like he did at OU.

KantoSooner
10/2/2009, 02:58 PM
Did Roy actually step over Moreno's corpse after getting up? Tell me he did.....

Partial Qualifier
10/2/2009, 05:05 PM
Seeing these recent TRRW knockout vids makes me happy. No - giddy, like a schoolgirl.

OK2LA
10/2/2009, 05:54 PM
Still the Bungles until proved otherwise

BermudaSooner
10/2/2009, 08:50 PM
Can't be a good thing to have a safety leading the team in tackles.

tulsaoilerfan
10/2/2009, 08:54 PM
That is great to hear. He had his troubles in Dallas but he had his share of success too. Unfortunately, the latter only stays in the Cowboy fan's mind for about two weeks.

That's cause a lot of Cowboys fans are idiots(not me though)

rawlingsHOH
10/2/2009, 09:09 PM
Can't be a good thing to have a safety leading the team in tackles.

Based on the way the Bengals D has played this year. Maybe it is.

?

Leroy Lizard
10/2/2009, 10:40 PM
Deleted

Dio
10/2/2009, 11:13 PM
Kinda sucks that we have to see TRRW in orange and TFRW wearing the star.

Salt City Sooner
10/3/2009, 12:02 AM
Still the Bungles until proved otherwise
They're one absolute fluke of a last minute play from being 3-0.