PDA

View Full Version : Gameplan for this weekend: Is Landry a game manager, or does KW let er rip?

adoniijahsooner
10/1/2009, 05:12 PM
Interested in seeing what happens with the gameplan. Will KW run Demarco and Brown after seeing VT bulldoze Miami defenders last week? Or Will the "Stache" throw all over the field this weekend?

Even though I am very, very, very partial to Sam, I do believe that Landry will perform better than Sam did against Colorado and Iowa State his Freshman year.

starclassic tama
10/1/2009, 05:15 PM
unfortunately i think a lot will depend on the weather. there is a chance of storms saturday, so if that happens we will probably take the virginia tech approach and just beat them with a running game and defense. which we might try to do even in clear weather...

SoonerLaw09
10/1/2009, 05:18 PM
I think KW lets her rip. However, if we win it will be because the D grew fangs and ate Jacory Harris for lunch and dinner.

soonervegas
10/1/2009, 05:19 PM
My guess is circa 2001 OU-OSU level of conservative. Short passes, lots of running, and hope the D hold them down. Put the game on Venables shoulder.

or in other terms...

A disaster.

SoonerLaw09
10/1/2009, 05:21 PM
vegas is right, if they do that, we're gonna get our lungs handed to us.

Must...stretch...field. Only way we'll open up lanes for DeMarco is to throw downfield early and often. If the coaches want the Stache to come into his own this game, they have to give him confidence and not water down the gameplan.

budbarrybob
10/1/2009, 05:24 PM
Hmm i saw that game plan in the BYU game short passes/run game crap. Didn't work too well for us. I'd rather see the air it out, spread the field supplement with the run game approach. dink and dunk, I don't think so.

budbarrybob
10/1/2009, 05:26 PM
the D grew fangs and ate Jacory Harris for lunch and dinner.

no, He'd just be an hors d'voeurs

ashley
10/1/2009, 05:26 PM
We have seen that Landry can make all the throws.

SoonerKnight
10/1/2009, 05:28 PM
We have seen Landry throw it around in the rain!

IronHorseSooner
10/1/2009, 05:29 PM
AIR IT OUT! Coach just said that the gameplan doesn't change that much with The Stache. Expect to see a play action on the first series to make them the pass. I will bet my next three paychecks that Miami will load the box and force The Stache to beat them. You need to make the pay!

swardboy
10/1/2009, 06:00 PM
Make the pay, baby!!!!!!!!!!!

gaylordfan1
10/1/2009, 06:06 PM
They will let the Stache run as wild with the playbook as he can as long as he is executing.... If he shows he can run the offense with authority then they will let him do whatever! Now with that being said, if he starts sputtering, missing the receivers, or starts being timid then here comes a bland game plan.

Salt City Sooner
10/1/2009, 06:32 PM
Stoops was asked on CFB Live today if they'd be scaling back the playbook now that LJ's starting & he replied "not much."

Crucifax Autumn
10/1/2009, 06:45 PM
Personally I see us running like crazy after what VT did last week, but the difference is it will set up an assload of passing.

MeMyself&Me
10/1/2009, 08:42 PM
I think we may see Landry take a shot or two down the field (because he can and they need to feel it) but I do think, for the most part, it will be a conservative, ball control/field position type of game plan. I think OU's D is up to it.

En_Fuego
10/1/2009, 09:03 PM
My guess is circa 2001 OU-OSU level of conservative. Short passes, lots of running, and hope the D hold them down. Put the game on Venables shoulder.

or in other terms...

A disaster.

lmao

htownsooner7
10/2/2009, 08:13 AM
Fully expect swing passes to Murray and rocket screens to broyles early. If we are moving the ball that way, we may open it up. Otherwise, we'll stay pretty conservative.

Problem is, its kind of like a pitcher with a questionable curveball. You go too late into the game without using it, the pitcher may not be able to find it.

If our line can handle their pressure, I hope we go down the field (at least 15 yard throws) 2 times early.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/2/2009, 08:27 AM
I think KW lets her rip. However, if we win it will be because the D grew fangs and ate Jacory Harris for lunch and dinner.

KW has never let 'er rip... When hasn't he gotten all Big 10/11 in big games and failed to press home the victory.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2009, 08:34 AM
Our offense is pass-first by design and our running game doesn't do very well when the other guy knows it is coming. Landry threw a pick on the first play against TU and KW didn't blink - we kept throwing it. Sure it was Tulsa, but we had no idea how Landry would perform yet and KW didn't go into a shell. I hope we do the same tomorrow (minus the pick, of course).

IslandSooner
10/2/2009, 08:59 AM
Well balanced offense unless it is first and goal, then we will just take three knees and kick.....

boomermagic
10/2/2009, 09:07 AM
I believe our defense will play well but if I am right and they do and the offense doesn't you can only hold a good team down so long before they break a big play or get a penalty and score on you.. If we are able to run the ball with consistancy we will win Provided we don't stall out at the 3 yd line again... Obviously, they have good athletes and fast athletes so we have to attack them not just defensively but from both sides... Our recent away games have shown a pattern of being conservative at times i think maybe we need to get away from that this time around..

I'm not really an X's and O's guy so I'll leave that to the coaches... I'm more concerned with how our offense matches up with their defense than the other way around.. I'd feel better If Sam were healthy and playing mostly because of his experience in recognizing blitzes etc.. I think Landry can get it done but this is his first big game start against a very talented foe.. Overall, I do think we can win by a couple of td's or more if things go our way but we have to make that happen..

humblesooner
10/2/2009, 09:20 AM
If I am Randy Shannon, I have my corner ready to pick off the bubble screen on the first offensive play of the game for OU. :(

jneworld
10/2/2009, 10:46 AM
I think we get the same game plan (and game) that we got against BYU. Six or seven passes in the first half. Just not trying to turn it over and let the defense win it. Then late in the fourth quarter, we just can't get a third down stop. Unfortunately, our road game game plans are pretty predictable. Hope I'm wrong.

recruiter
10/2/2009, 10:49 AM
Wilson's developing a balanced resume of crapping down his leg in big games - I expect about 15 plays from him Saturday night, including 11 that are inside runs.

Boomer.....
10/2/2009, 10:52 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9mKMJVxrk0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9mKMJVxrk0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2009, 10:53 AM
I'm giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt that the 1st half of the BYU was not the game plan. The lack of pass attempts was caused by yellow flags on the O-line along with a few dropped passes to kill drives before than started. Won't happen tomorrow.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2009, 11:04 AM
Im more concerned about establishing the run than anything...nothing too good so far

TheHumanAlphabet
10/2/2009, 11:21 AM
How ' bout don't pass to Tennell.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2009, 12:04 PM
Im more concerned about establishing the run than anything...nothing too good so far

That hasn't seemed to work for a couple of years now, so I see no reason to prove it again. I'm not being sarcastic - I think it is just the design of our offense. We need to pass to setup the run; fortunately, we have the QBs to do that if the receivers just catch the ball.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2009, 12:45 PM
That hasn't seemed to work for a couple of years now, so I see no reason to prove it again. I'm not being sarcastic - I think it is just the design of our offense. We need to pass to setup the run; fortunately, we have the QBs to do that if the receivers just catch the ball.

I disagree....I think having 2 1000 yard rushers showed last year's team to be pretty darn good at establishing a run game...not just the results of the passing game setting it up either...but that is my opinion

These are gonna be the most physical corners they have played , so to depend on a wr corp that has been average at best so far to set up the run isn't exactly a gameplan I would feel comfortable with

stoops the eternal pimp
10/2/2009, 12:47 PM
and if this team can't establish the run and we are in a tight ball game in the 4th quarter, there will be trouble..

I know about the penalties against BYU, but if at 13-7 the running game could have picked up some more first downs in the 4th, it might have been different..

I Am Right
10/2/2009, 12:50 PM
Interested in seeing what happens with the gameplan. Will KW run Demarco and Brown after seeing VT bulldoze Miami defenders last week? Or Will the "Stache" throw all over the field this weekend?

Even though I am very, very, very partial to Sam, I do believe that Landry will perform better than Sam did against Colorado and Iowa State his Freshman year.

Win!

unbiasedtruth
10/2/2009, 12:52 PM
as long as the Sooners dont run every play when LJ lines up under center, and pass every play when he is in the shotgun we should be fine.....

FlatheadSooner
10/2/2009, 12:59 PM
How ' bout don't pass to Tennell.

I think Tennell repeats his last attempt at getting open long in the end zone .......but this time he catches it .......and has break out game to support Broyles and Caleb.
:)

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2009, 01:04 PM
I think Tennell repeats his last attempt at getting open long in the end zone .......but this time he catches it .......and has break out game to support Broyles and Caleb.
:)

I'd buy that for a dollar. Looks like the U will have backups at both safety spots, so we have to test them.

rawlingsHOH
10/2/2009, 01:17 PM
Come out fast-paced and throwing it all over the field to build a lead.

Then turn it over to the ground game in the second quarter.

That is the recipe.

rawlingsHOH
10/2/2009, 01:19 PM
I'd feel better If Sam were healthy and playing mostly because of his experience in recognizing blitzes etc....

Fortunately Miami isn't very blitz-happy, generally getting their pressure with the front-4.

They aren't all about disguising it (like BYU and Tulsa). They'll show you who is coming and out athlete you.

Pigface1
10/2/2009, 01:32 PM
Gerald McCoy is going to run the Wild Sooner. Pre-snap he tells Miami's defense he's coming. .

prrriiide
10/2/2009, 01:54 PM
I'm giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt that the 1st half of the BYU was not the game plan. The lack of pass attempts was caused by yellow flags on the O-line along with a few dropped passes to kill drives before than started. Won't happen tomorrow.

+1

OL penalties in the 1st Q vs. BYU probably took 7-14 points off the board for us. BYU was able to tee off on the run because they knew that our coaches wouldn't get too fancy with green back-up QB and an OL that was doing a keystone kops impression. Those two factors are not in play now. I look for a pretty good balance. Tennell breaks out with his new eyes. I also think Brody makes a couple of clutch catches.

birddog
10/2/2009, 01:59 PM
Make the pay, baby!!!!!!!!!!!

this oughta do er.

if we decide to stick with our gameplan with the stache man, we better get a few receivers who have learned up on catching the damn ball.

mightysooner
10/2/2009, 02:10 PM
I agree that Tennell finally shows up after he's undercovered all day by the Miami secondary. Brown and Murray will combine for 200 yards on the ground and we best the Canes by quite a bit.

42-17 Sooners roll.....

starclassic tama
10/6/2009, 02:44 AM
I think we get the same game plan (and game) that we got against BYU. Six or seven passes in the first half. Just not trying to turn it over and let the defense win it. Then late in the fourth quarter, we just can't get a third down stop. Unfortunately, our road game game plans are pretty predictable. Hope I'm wrong.

bingooo. good call man, even though it sucks really bad that you were right...

adoniijahsooner
10/6/2009, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by jneworld

Can you tell me if prosperity is in my future?