PDA

View Full Version : Horns lose 2

w0lfe
9/30/2009, 02:44 PM
Dunno if its been posted or not, sorry if it has

Texas players can practice with teamComment Email Print Share By Tim Griffin
ESPN.com
Archive
Texas junior wide receiver Brandon Collins and sophomore defensive back Christian Scott will miss the rest of the 2009 football season as a result of unresolved NCAA academic eligibility issues.

Both players are enrolled in classes and remain in good academic standing at Texas. They will be permitted to continue practicing with the team, but won't be eligible to play in a game. Both players have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Big 12 blog
ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

Collins and Scott missed the Longhorns' first four games of the season. They were suspended along with senior defensive back Deon Beasley before the Longhorns' season opener against Louisiana-Monroe on Sept 5. Beasley was reinstated before the Longhorns' third game of the season against Texas Tech and has seen action in two games.

In the Longhorns' first depth chart before the season, Scott was listed as a co-starter at safety. Collins was a backup at flanker.

Collins has played in 19 career games, starting three, and caught 35 passes for 430 yards and three touchdowns. Scott played in all 13 games as a redshirt freshman last season, with 15 tackles, three pass deflections, a caused fumble and one recovered fumble.

"We're disappointed for Brandon and Christian that they won't be able to play this season but they will continue to practice with the team and work towards earning their degrees, which is the ultimate goal," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "They both have two years of eligibility remaining so they'll help us in practice this year and then get back to competing for playing time in the spring."

fadada1
9/30/2009, 03:12 PM
seems a bit confusing. only thing i can think of is that they haven't met the required percentage of degree completion (according to their year).

Jdog
9/30/2009, 03:42 PM
neither has played a down yet this season

footballfanatic
9/30/2009, 05:45 PM
It's a big loss. Christian Scott is a big, physical pass defender.
Collins was expected to be a big contributor at flanker. Both retain the same number of years of playing time. It's a killer, and since student records are private, no one knows where the ball was dropped.

XingTheRubicon
9/30/2009, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't want to admit that I flunked out at the same place that Vince "I before E and sometimes Y", Young passed for 3 years.

AlbqSooner
9/30/2009, 07:28 PM
Another article I read indicated that they "failed to maintain satisfactory progress to a degree. Something as simple as withdrawing from a class and not getting enough hours for where they are as far as time at the University. Either that or failing to enroll in enough hours.

Boomer Mooner
9/30/2009, 07:43 PM
neither has played a down yet this season

No kidding. Why the hoopla...who cares.