JLEW1818
9/30/2009, 11:54 AM
we have to be up there in scoring defense as well

we are,, fixed!

(not total, whoops)

JLEW1818
9/30/2009, 11:56 AM
Number 5 in total D

man if we can hold Miami under 20 points.. I will ****!!

OU Adonis
BYU #85 in Rush offense, #24 in Total O
Tulsa #44 in Rush Offense, #31 in total O

ISU doesn't count, division 2

Lets not crown them a great defense until we play a good offense.

sooneron
HE WON'T CONTAIN THE GREATEST OFFENSE THE UNIVERSE HAS EVER SEEN!!!! [hairGel]

1890MilesToNorman
9/30/2009, 11:59 AM
Back to back shutouts is tough no matter who you play. The D has to feel good about giving up only 14 pts in 3 games. Jes saying, something to build on.

Sooner13
9/30/2009, 12:00 PM

#24 and #31 in total O isn't considered a good offense?

JLEW1818
9/30/2009, 12:01 PM
I'm not crowning... but this D might be the reason we make it out west

OU44life
9/30/2009, 12:01 PM
First in this one too

Bowl Subdivision (FBS) National Team Report
Red Zone Efficiency - Defense

Collier11
9/30/2009, 12:03 PM
Dont tell Curly, he might have a heart attack

I will know alot more about this D after Saturday, if we hold Miami to 21 or less on their home field, I will be excited

JLEW1818
9/30/2009, 12:03 PM
First in this one too

Bowl Subdivision (FBS) National Team Report
Red Zone Efficiency - Defense

good find. if we can hold Miami to FGs we should win

beer4me
9/30/2009, 12:07 PM
Not holding my breath until we play someone ;)

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2009, 12:12 PM

Not crowning them anything - but I like what i see so far. I assume BYU and TU have both played 4 games, so the 1 game against us is biasing their rankings a fair amount - especially the rushing numbers. I'll bet both teams end the season higher.

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 12:17 PM

Tulsa has lead the nation is total offense the last two years. The reason their numbers look down (though still good), are because they played OU.

Boooom!
9/30/2009, 12:20 PM

Aye - #40 in Pass D

OU Adonis
9/30/2009, 12:21 PM
Tulsa has lead the nation is total offense the last two years. The reason their numbers look down (though still good), are because they played OU.

And OU scored 50 points a game last year. Is our offense just as good as last years?

That statement only matters if OUs defense this year suits up against last years Tulsa team.

No doubt our Defense is better than last year, but I am not crowning them a top 10 defense yet.

mehip
9/30/2009, 12:23 PM
I'm sincerely hoping that these stats hold up when we hit the meat of the schbeadule. But, I really don't think we have played anybody yet.

I do think we have a great D line esp. with the depth at DE. So, there is real reason for optimism. The next 3 weeks will pretty much tell the full story.

I can't wait for Grainger to get back. I love his play when he is in shape and his head is on right. If Granger doesn't play this week what are the chances we will se McFarland back on the field?

MeMyself&Me
9/30/2009, 12:24 PM
Not crowning them anything - but I like what i see so far. I assume BYU and TU have both played 4 games, so the 1 game against us is biasing their rankings a fair amount - especially the rushing numbers. I'll bet both teams end the season higher.

This

Right now, the sampling is so small that OU's opponents stats are effected by playing OU. I'm not ready to anoint them the best in the country yet but they looked really good against Tulsa. I'm curious about this weekend too as good test before getting into the offense heavy big 12. I do think they hold Miami to less than 20 as long as OU's offense and special teams don't give them short fields to work with.

JLEW1818
9/30/2009, 12:24 PM
And OU scored 50 points a game last year. Is our offense just as good as last years?

That statement only matters if OUs defense this year suits up against last years Tulsa team.

No doubt our Defense is better than last year, but I am not crowning them a top 10 defense yet.

"IF YOU WANT TO CROWN THEM"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDAq5tyfk9E

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 12:25 PM
Aye - #40 in Pass D

#21 in Passing Efficiency Defense (the stat that matters).

You can have a good Pass Defense ranking just by being a bad team, and having opponents run all over. The Efficiency stat shows how well you actually defend the pass.

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 12:28 PM

I agree, wait to crown, that is always the best bet!

But to say we haven't faced a good offense, is simply inaccurate. Tulsa and BYU will both prove to be very good offensively. As you have already pointed out, BYU #24 and Tulsa #31!

adoniijahsooner
9/30/2009, 12:56 PM
BYU had the ball for 37 minutes against us, they had 14 points and 357 total yards.

Byu had the ball for 20 minutes against FSU and they had 28 points and 473 total yards

In their other 2 games they have scored 42 and 54 points.

Tulsa has scored 56, 44, and 37 points in their other games.

It is completely stupid and retarded to try and downplay how well this defense has played so far this season. They may have a hiccup here and there but every defense will have a bad game during the year. Whether it's the Chicago bears against Miami, LSU against Arkansas, Florida against Ole miss, Okla against A & M, even the greats are due a bad game.

These players deserve more credit than our fans are giving them.

beer4me
9/30/2009, 01:00 PM
I agree, never wait to crown and Coke, that is always the best bet!

fixed it fer you

EstablishedSooner1967
9/30/2009, 01:13 PM
BYU-IDAHO ST-TULSA.... not really to many world shakers there..

w0lfe
9/30/2009, 01:22 PM
5th overall? Fire him....

Pigface1
9/30/2009, 03:23 PM
Miami's o-line is gonna get their o-ring blown out.

Pigface1
9/30/2009, 03:24 PM

Regarding the schedule so far, it's a moot point. Most everyone else has played a schedule the same or worse.

JLEW1818
9/30/2009, 04:05 PM
What will happen: Since losing to USC in the 2005 Orange Bowl, Oklahoma has gone 16-13 in games played outside of the state of Oklahoma, and 29-0 around home. Last week was an aberration. At home, in a game like this, the Cane defense will be flying around all over the place making life tough for Jones, there will be at least three key takeaways, and Harris will go back to being Harris again for just enough scoring drives to get by. It’s not going to be a smooth win for the Canes, but it’ll be a good one.
CFN Prediction: Miami 20 … Oklahoma 16 ... Line: Oklahoma -7.5

errr

Collier11
9/30/2009, 04:11 PM
Ou 31-21

rawlingsHOH
9/30/2009, 04:18 PM
What will happen: Since losing to USC in the 2005 Orange Bowl, Oklahoma has gone 16-13 in games played outside of the state of Oklahoma, and 29-0 around home. Last week was an aberration. At home, in a game like this, the Cane defense will be flying around all over the place making life tough for Jones, there will be at least three key takeaways, and Harris will go back to being Harris again for just enough scoring drives to get by. It’s not going to be a smooth win for the Canes, but it’ll be a good one.
CFN Prediction: Miami 20 … Oklahoma 16 ... Line: Oklahoma -7.5

Let's look at the 16-13...

Bowl games against; USC, Boise, WVU, anf Florida make up 4 of those losses.
Games in Dallas make up 4 as well, UT 3, BYU 1.

So 8 of the 13 losses were on a neutral field.

The 5 actual road losses (since that is what is applicable in the Miami discussion)...
05 UCLA
05 Texas Tech*
06 Oregon*
07 Colorado
07 Texas Tech

JLEW1818
9/30/2009, 04:18 PM
Ou 31-21

my exact prediction

JLEW1818
9/30/2009, 04:19 PM
Let's look at the 16-13...

Bowl games against; USC, Boise, WVU, anf Florida make up 4 of those losses.
Games in Dallas make up 4 as well, UT 3, BYU 1.

So 8 of the 13 losses were on a neutral field.

The 5 actual road losses (since that is what is applicable in the Miami discussion)...
05 UCLA
05 Texas Tech*
06 Oregon*
07 Colorado
07 Texas Tech

yup, good work

Mark_in_Tulsa
9/30/2009, 04:49 PM

If you look at the other top 10 scoring D's, we have by far, BY FAR, have played the best Offensive teams out there so far.

RedstickSooner
9/30/2009, 05:43 PM
Kinda makes you wonder what it is we needed for all those years where we (relatively speaking) sucked on defense. For that whole stretch, Bob always talked about how close we were to getting it right -- we played great D for three quarters, or we played great D except for a few breakdowns, etc.

Guess he was telling the truth, maybe, rather than just blowing smoke up our collective rears. Doesn't seem like it can just be having good players, because we've always got solid players on defense... Wish it had solidified like this sooner, and hope that now that it's on track, Venables can keep it that way.

If he manages this another couple seasons, should we start calling him by his first name?

cjames317
9/30/2009, 06:27 PM
Back to back shutouts is tough no matter who you play. The D has to feel good about giving up only 14 pts in 3 games. Jes saying, something to build on.

Imagine how good they'd feel if they'd only given up 7 points.

Eielson
9/30/2009, 06:51 PM
Tulsa has lead the nation is total offense the last two years. The reason their numbers look down (though still good), are because they played somebody.

Fixed.

Eielson
9/30/2009, 06:55 PM
Regarding the schedule so far, it's a moot point. Most everyone else has played a schedule the same or worse.

Which basically just means that nobody's stats matter yet.

You shouldn't need to see stats to tell we have a good defense, though. Sure, our DBs have looked a little questionable at times, but our front seven looks insane. When it's all said and done, McCoy will probably be Stoops' best D-lineman.

stoopified
9/30/2009, 07:00 PM
I do take the stats with a grain of salt because of who we have played and the brevity of the season to this point BUT still we have had seasons where OUr D stats against mediocre teams have been MUCH less impressive.Basically I say it is a good start.If we are still awesome on D after the U and UT,I think we have a GREAT shot at #8.

Since71ASooner4Life
9/30/2009, 07:14 PM
#24 and #31 in total O isn't considered a good offense?

Against other teams, but not against our excellent Defense

AlbqSooner
9/30/2009, 07:44 PM
You shouldn't need to see stats to tell we have a good defense, though. Sure, our DBs have looked a little questionable at times, but our front seven looks insane. When it's all said and done, McCoy will probably be Stoops' best D-lineman.

Watching this defense indeed tells you all you need to know. While the DBs have had a few questionable moments, the Tulsa game they closed quickly when a receiver had gotten open enough for a completion. They did not allow the yards after catch that can be such a killer.

Given that jacory shows a tendency to loft his passes rather than throwing a rope, the ability to close that quickly could easily result in interceptions or break-ups. I am optimistic going into this game.

Oh yeah, I think it was last year that LeeRoy Selmon was interviewed by the Tulsa World. Among the statements he made was that McCoy, if he continued to play like he was, could be the player to make Sooner fans forget LeeRoy Selmon. Obviously overstatement, but considering the source, a pretty high evaluation.

AzianSooner
9/30/2009, 08:47 PM
I've heard so many times before the term "defense wins NC". So far, we lose all recent BCS bowl games.

Yeah, prove it.

OUAlumni1990
9/30/2009, 08:51 PM
I've heard so many times before the term "defense wins NC". So far, we lose all recent BCS bowl games.

Yeah, prove it.

well, those years we didn't really have that great of a defense. If you want to see a great defense, see 1985 and 2000.

Curly Bill
9/30/2009, 08:52 PM
Dont tell Curly, he might have a heart attack

I will know alot more about this D after Saturday, if we hold Miami to 21 or less on their home field, I will be excited

:D

85sooners
9/30/2009, 08:53 PM
we need a angry fn d saturday night!!!!!!!!!!

Lott's Bandana
9/30/2009, 09:38 PM
I'm not crowning... but this D might be the reason we make it out west

C-section?

rainiersooner
9/30/2009, 10:01 PM
BYU had the ball for 37 minutes against us, they had 14 points and 357 total yards.

Byu had the ball for 20 minutes against FSU and they had 28 points and 473 total yards

In their other 2 games they have scored 42 and 54 points.

Tulsa has scored 56, 44, and 37 points in their other games.

It is completely stupid and retarded to try and downplay how well this defense has played so far this season. They may have a hiccup here and there but every defense will have a bad game during the year. Whether it's the Chicago bears against Miami, LSU against Arkansas, Florida against Ole miss, Okla against A & M, even the greats are due a bad game.

These players deserve more credit than our fans are giving them.

Logically stated argument...I like!

rawlingsHOH
10/1/2009, 09:07 AM

Yeah, prove it.

It certainly wan't the defense that lost us 2 of the last 3 title shots.

Collier11
10/1/2009, 09:27 AM
C-section?

I LOL'd and then threw up a little :D

goingoneight
10/1/2009, 09:28 AM
I am one to believe that the early Stoops years we didn't see a lot of what I'd call great offenses, and when we did, it often became a ballgame. In other words, Cart is an example of a major upgrade over Chris Simms IMO. A truly great defense can go deep into the heart of Texass this fall and knock down his passes, disrupt his footwork, shed all his blockers and not let players like him have time to keep a play alive. When Texas has that ball, you get in there and stop them. Like we did with Chris Weiner at FSU. Typically, guys win Heismans because they're driving the bus of great protection and weapons galore. The answer is getting in the driver's face, blind him, badger him, know where he's going and how to stop it.

I don't see an AD, a JG, a Vince Young or anything like that at UM or UT. I see nothing we *can't* stop. The question is when will drops, penalties and turnovers plague us like they did vs BYU. Anyone can beat us when we beat ourselves.

rawlingsHOH
10/1/2009, 09:32 AM
I am one to believe that the early Stoops years we didn't see a lot of what I'd call great offenses

I think we can certainly say defending the I-formation and the option (Big 12, 1999) is a hell of a lot easy than stopping the no-huddle and the spread (Big 12, 2009).

Johnny Utah
10/1/2009, 03:58 PM
It certainly wan't the defense that lost us 2 of the last 3 title shots.

... and one of those losses we don't even speak of ;) .

rawlingsHOH
10/1/2009, 04:07 PM
well, those years we didn't really have that great of a defense. If you want to see a great defense, see 1985 and 2000.
I'd take our '01 and '03 defenses over 2000.

I'd probably also take '86 over '85.

JLEW1818
10/1/2009, 04:08 PM
dunno, 03 **** the bed against kstate

Salt City Sooner
10/1/2009, 06:37 PM
dunno, 03 **** the bed against kstate
So did '01 (hands down the best D of the Stoops era in my books), & it was in Norman. Only difference is that the offense didn't take the day off in that one. Sometimes you have to give the devil (Roberson) his due. Dude kicked our D's butt both times he played them.